UPDATED: Jason Brown to Brian Orser (official)

BittyBug

Disgusted
Why is everyone assuming that David Wilson will necessarily do Jason’s programs? With Lee Barkell as Jason’s main coach, wouldn’t Jeff Buttle be just as likely?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Why is everyone assuming that David Wilson will necessarily do Jason’s programs? With Lee Barkell as Jason’s main coach, wouldn’t Jeff Buttle be just as likely?

It was mentioned in one of the articles. Rohene's done Jason's new short and Wilson will do Jason's new long.

The idea of a Buttle program for Jason is very :swoon:, though.

maybe one day i will get my dream wish. a joshua program on jason.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
At the moment, Jason is injured and skating with no jumps at all. Let's give him some time. Best wishes to him for a healthy recovery and a positive experience on this grand new adventure.
I had suspected this, but is this in fact known, that Jason is injured?

kwanatic

Jason and Kori just seemed so committed to each other...

They were definitely a great team. However, it's obvious Jason has gone as far as he's going to go with Kori. If he's looking to add quads to his arsenal and continue to compete, he has to take his skating to the next level. Brian & TCC can do that for him.

I mentioned this a while ago over at GSF when the news about Evgenia making the move came out. Brian is a next level skating coach. I don't think he has any students he's taught from the ground up at the elite level. Just about all of the skaters he gets have been on the scene but are looking to improve or elevate their skating. Yuna is the exception. She was already a top 3 skater when she came to him but he was able to introduce consistency to her skating which made her #1. With Yuzu and Javi, both were 2nd/3rd tier skaters before they came to Brian. He turned them into consistent podium finishers/champions. It's no wonder skaters from all over are flocking to him...

Jason has a lot of work to do on his technical side but he is a dream everywhere else. I'm happy to hear he's staying in for a few more years and I hope he's able to improve. I would like to see him keep Rohene as a choreographer. Rohene's style of movement is amazing and Jason executes it so beautifully that it has become his style. I'm sure he'd be good under a different choreographer but I actually love Jason's style as is and don't really want to see that change much.

GreatLakesGal

With Yuzu and Javi, both were 2nd/3rd tier skaters before they came to Brian.

Yuzu was not a 2nd tier skater when he came to Brian. In his senior Worlds debut in 2012, he finished on the podium with a bronze medal. He began working with Brian a few months after that, in large part because his training time in Japan was severely limited. As with Yuna, Brian was very lucky that Hanyu came to him; both skaters would probably have done just as well with any top coach. Javi is a different story and having Brian as his coach and mentor likely made all the difference for him. Brian has said that Javi is his greatest accomplishment and I think that's true.

Having following Brian closely for several years, I'm convinced he's become addicted to winning and that's a big reason why he has taken on Med and Jin instead of just focusing on his current roster of younger skaters.

As for Jason, my hunch is that Tracy Wilson (who Brian said argued for taking him on) probably sees him as bringing value to their training group. With Javi gone and Yuzu's future uncertain at this point, TCC is or will be lacking in skaters with top performance skills and artistry. Jason has those qualities and so having him there can be a win-win situation for everyone.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Yes, he said so a couple of weeks ago. Sprained his ankle during SOI and has been performing without jumps.
Oh, I was thinking there was something else going on (as in, leftover from the year of back pain that caused him to miss nationals).

barbarafan

Oh, I do believe Brian and Tracy see something in Jason. He's a unique skater. They might even believe they might develop him - but I'm sceptical whether they actually can with how overcrowded it just got with higher-profile skaters. And, frankly, at this point, my "values" are just realism. I hope I will be proven wrong, however, Jason does deserve their full attention.

Jason will be attentioned to death but he will treated as an adult and will know why he is requested to do everything that he does.Most important his health and longevity will come first and whatever tests and top doctors say should happen will happen.

nimi

I had suspected this, but is this in fact known, that Jason is injured?

From Phil Hersh's twitter:
Just had long talk w/ @jasonbskates about move to Brian Orser. He’s already in TOR, recovering from right ankle (slipped on confetti during Stars on Ice tour) that will keep him from serious jumping until July.
Phil also tweets he's working on a story about Jason's move but didn't say when it will be coming out.

barbarafan

Lee Barkell will be part of the team working with Jason but his main coaches are Brian and Tracy.

http://figureskatersonline.com/jasonbrown/profile/

In one of Brian's interviews he stated it would be David for the long. There are several members to his teams and everyone is always right on top of all the students and Lee and Brian do switch out as far as competitions go as Brian sometimes ends up with 2 skaters having competitions in different places at the same time. If his skaters are at the same competition they both go and lately Tracy has been going as well.

Scrufflet

Interesting line of thought re the Orser camp and the Dubreuil camp. Suddenly somebody in the thread decides that the maximum number of students has been reached and ruin will follow! What is the magic number that coaches can handle? And of course, it must be different for each coach/coaching team! A lot of this is knee-jerk reaction from people who have no knowledge of the club/coach/team or how coaching of skaters even works. I haven't got a clue and would never presume to make pronouncements on this! I'd be happy to listen to those who do. Until then, let's ask questions and hope for the best for all skaters. I find all the changes exciting! Enough with the negativity!

kittysk8ts

Interesting line of thought re the Orser camp and the Dubreuil camp. Suddenly somebody in the thread decides that the maximum number of students has been reached and ruin will follow! What is the magic number that coaches can handle? And of course, it must be different for each coach/coaching team! A lot of this is knee-jerk reaction from people who have no knowledge of the club/coach/team or how coaching of skaters even works. I haven't got a clue and would never presume to make pronouncements on this! I'd be happy to listen to those who do. Until then, let's ask questions and hope for the best for all skaters. I find all the changes exciting! Enough with the negativity!
Agree 100% with this! Also, looking forward to watching it all unfold next season. It is gearing up to be an interesting season post OG.

nimi

Lee Barkell will be part of the team working with Jason but his main coaches are Brian and Tracy.

http://figureskatersonline.com/jasonbrown/profile/
Yep. The ISF article with Orser quotes was already discussed on the 1st page, but in case somebody missed it, here's what Brian himself said:
“We are going to take him on as a team so it is not just going to be one person working with him. I think on paper it will be Tracy and I as the main coaches but Karen Preston is going to work with him as will Lee Barkell. We can work with him technically, but we have to keep him healthy.

Also, according to Brian, Kori "has given this arrangement her blessing" and "we are going to keep this relationship open" and this is how the arrangement came about:
Brown contacted Orser shortly after 2018 U.S. nationals asking about the possibility of training with him. Orser, in the midst of pre-Olympic preparations, said, “I had to check my dance card to see if I would have room. Then Jason came to the rink during a break in the U.S. Stars on Ice tour and he fit in so well. He is such a great energy to have around the rink. Tracy was really pushing for it, so we just had to do some juggling and figure out how we could make this work.

kwanatic

Yuzu won a bronze medal at the Worlds before he came to Brian - and he was a second or third tier skater? All right then.
Add to that gold at Junior Worlds.
Yuzu was not a 2nd tier skater when he came to Brian. In his senior Worlds debut in 2012, he finished on the podium with a bronze medal. .

My bad guys, damn...:slinkaway

I knew Yuzu went to Brian in 2012 but I didn't follow the men much at all back then. Should have looked into that a bit more...Please forgive my ignorance of Yuzu's pre-Brian success. :wall:

Still, I stand by what I said :D: Brian did elevate Yuzu's skating beyond what he was when he came to him and he definitely made Javi into a champion. He has a knack for building upon what a skater already has and bringing out the best in them. Jason has a great base to work with so I'm excited to see what he can become under Brian's guidance.

arakwafan2006

He will get out what he puts in. Many don’t want to admit this but Jason is the reason Jason hasn’t done quadruple jumps. Order and Co. Can only extract what you make available. Jason is going to likely have less control over what happens when he doesn’t wanna.

I’m less excited the more i think of it to see what David Wilson will do. That shit he created for Johnny Weir for instance ... ghastly. Also, David is less sophisticated than say Lori so i am expecting choreography similar to what we’ve seen already.

Scrufflet

Please forgive the tangent here... Why is it that Tracy seems to coach singles but not ice dancers? Or am I wrong? I've heard that there are up-and-coming young ones but I've never seen her with any of the top teams. Since she is a former ice dancer, wouldn't you think? Anybody know?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

He will get out what he puts in. Many don’t want to admit this but Jason is the reason Jason hasn’t done quadruple jumps. Order and Co. Can only extract what you make available. Jason is going to likely have less control over what happens when he doesn’t wanna.

I’m less excited the more i think of it to see what David Wilson will do. That shit he created for Johnny Weir for instance ... ghastly. Also, David is less sophisticated than say Lori so i am expecting choreography similar to what we’ve seen already.

Thanks, Kori.

barbarafan

Please forgive the tangent here... Why is it that Tracy seems to coach singles but not ice dancers? Or am I wrong? I've heard that there are up-and-coming young ones but I've never seen her with any of the top teams. Since she is a former ice dancer, wouldn't you think? Anybody know?

Tracy had retired from competitive skating and did shows. Her partner died. She moved away from the sport and had babies and raised them. She was approached by sport of hockey to train mastery of the blades. Brian dragged her away as he felt he needed her help if he was going to coach. Brian coached singles. Not sure when dance started up at CC. I don't know if she helps in any way with the dance section(maybe stroking?) but she works in singles and also helped coach I/M in pairs. Maybe an insider may have more detail.

barbarafan

Slipped on confetti so he can't jump until July, wtf?

Stars on Ice please what on earth is that stupidity throwing confetti on ice.

Have to agree with that...I think I saw recently at a gala that confetti was thrown in the air and skaters were having trouble navigating..I also wonder what it does to the sharpening job on their blades...Not the brightest thing.

Mrs. P

If you ever see him at a competition practices, he does full run-throughs of his programs, including with a quad (and , he lands a few of them, which makes it all the infuriating when it doesn't translate in competition). Then he goes and repeats jumps over and over again. I don't think work ethic is his problem -- if anything, Orser and the TCC crew will probably have to teach him to not overdo it so he doesn't injure himself/stays healthy.

Unless you're talking more like it's Jason's mental game that holds him back --I think there's an argument there. When you're pegged as the guy that doesn't do quads (and you actually want to do one), that can mess with your confidence and psych you out. I think we saw that last season.

mag

If you ever see him at a competition practices, he does full run-throughs of his programs, including with a quad (and , he lands a few of them, which makes it all the infuriating when it doesn't translate in competition). Then he goes and repeats jumps over and over again. I don't think work ethic is his problem

Jason may have a great work ethic (I know nothing about that) but whether or not a skater does full run throughs at competition practice is not an indication either way. There are a number of different strategies for those practices and skaters and coaches should use whatever works best for the skater. I say this because it is mentioned from time to time (skater X just marked the jumps etc.) often in a negative way when the fact is it really means nothing to someone watching unless you have insight into the skater’s training plan.

Mrs. P

Jason may have a great work ethic (I know nothing about that) but whether or not a skater does full run throughs at competition practice is not an indication either way. There are a number of different strategies for those practices and skaters and coaches should use whatever works best for the skater. I say this because it is mentioned from time to time (skater X just marked the jumps etc.) often in a negative way when the fact is it really means nothing to someone watching unless you have insight into the skater’s training plan.

Fair point and you're right that some do it to mark jumps and shouldn't be seen as a negative. I do point it out, in Jason's case, that he always arrives to competitions, generally well-trained and doesn't miss a lot of jumps in practices. (The nationals meltdown, honestly, was jarring to me, cause I had watched his warm-up earlier that day and he didn't miss ANY jumps other than the quad and he was OK on a few attempts there). But honestly, I do think there's a mental game --cause the moment he missed that quad in his FS, I knew it was game over.

In addition, people have mention Jason's work ethic (i.e. Frank Carroll) on the record. I just don't agree with the premise that he's not getting quads because he didn't want to practice them or lack the ability to do so.

mackiecat

I do think Gogolov has been with Brian for quite awhile. Andrew Hallam seems to be the main dance coach. There are two very young strong Jr teams there

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information