The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD

Anyasnake

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpf1718/data0403.pdf The protocols.

Lots of interesting things to note, like the details of P/C's and V/M's PCS (so close!), the Shibs got the higher BV and are the only one who got NtMiSt level 4, the best score for a lift is V/M and C/B..

And if you compare PCS of the top american teams, it's Shibs>H/D>C/B, Shibs ahead by a margin of more than 0.5.
The Rumba pattern almost made the difference on its own for V/M. All judges, even the Canadian one put a +2 and not +3. The chochtaw was a bit wild maybe.

tabby cat

The Rumba pattern almost made the difference on its own for V/M. All judges, even the Canadian one put a +2 and not +3. The chochtaw was a bit wild maybe.
The rhumba pattern was originally called with a N for one of the key points and I think as a level 3. Looks like something was off and that would explain the 2’s from the judges.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I agree very much. I also think that this was an off-SD for them today... better having that now than at Olys or Nationals.
Disagree completly. IMO that bronze medal isn't theirs until the end of the olys. And IMO it's going to be a surprise bronze ;)

Anyasnake

Disagree completly. IMO that bronze medal isn't theirs until the end of the olys. And IMO it's going to be a surprise bronze ;)
You think so ? I feel like there is a gap that is almost too big to be caught. I also think the FD will tell us more.

Bigbird

You think so ? I feel like there is a gap that is almost too big to be caught. I also think the FD will tell us more.

Yeah, I have to agree. Who do we think is able to pull the surprise? A Russian team? W/P? To be honest, I wish W/P had either stuck it out with K&C because I think Morozov is just messing with them: too much up and down from them this season. Their S/D is one of my favourites. As for the Russians, the younger ones are improving, but not quite there. I also think B/S don't have the best programs and not to hurt their fans, I believe they are past their prime. So who honestly is left? Gilles and Poirier? :confused:

skategal

Bunny mama
So what was up with that one judge who gave V/M a +1 on their rotational lift when all the others have them a +3?

What did that judge see/not see or think that they saw that no one else did? :confused:

kittysk8ts

Yeah, I have to agree. Who do we think is able to pull the surprise? A Russian team? W/P? To be honest, I wish W/P had either stuck it out with K&C because I think Morozov is just messing with them: too much up and down from them this season. Their S/D is one of my favourites. As for the Russians, the younger ones are improving, but not quite there. I also think B/S don't have the best programs and not to hurt their fans, I believe they are past their prime. So who honestly is left? Gilles and Poirier? :confused:
Hubbell and Donahue!

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I think the bronze medal may be a surprise too, but not in the same way that MarieM thinks. ;) Don't take me too seriously, hope dies last and all.
Well I bet that the GPF like last time won't come into that medal at all. Mark my words. It's not that I hope for the shibs not to win it. It has more to do with politiks and whatever a certain country will do to have it.

Amantide

Ewww :duh: :slinkaway Sacrebleu, Madame. C'est répulsif, biaisé et injuste.

I'm kidding. :biggrinbo Although she is, so nothing strange with her marks but +1, only, is overdoing.;)
Interesting though, the USA judge went slightly in P&C favour. The Italian was equal on everything, GOE and PCS. :saint:

Bigbird

Well I bet that the GPF like last time won't come into that medal at all. Mark my words. It's not that I hope for the shibs not to win it. It has more to do with politiks and whatever a certain country will do to have it.

But it PC, its neutral territory, not so?

skategal

Bunny mama
This probably won't happen but.....now that P/C have won the SD over V/M, wouldn't it be fun if V/M won the FD over P/C tomorrow? :D

That would really set up an interesting Olympic Games. :cheer2:

C'mon judges. We live for the ice dance drama around here.... :saint:

Anyasnake

If you think that Russia still have a shot at that Bronze medal... well, if B/S ans S/B decide to go f course.
Although, if Step/Bukin are 2nd in Euros in Moscow, I won't be surprised. (I would actually think it's... almost deserved - or Guignard/Fabbri. Yes call me nuts. I think these teams are edging their teamates okay !?)

Amantide

I don't think Russia has a chance in ID this season. None at all, unless mistakes are made by others on that day.

Debbie S

It has more to do with politiks and whatever a certain country will do to have it.
The certain country has been all but banned from the Olys. Yes, figure skating is its own world, separate from the IOC, but between the Oly ban/neutrality and the results of the RUS teams this season, I think Russian influence in dance has dropped off the map. Neither B/S nor S/B are I/K, and in any event, unlike 4 years ago, there are multiple teams who have much stronger resumes over the quad who have consistently beaten the Russian teams and are considered likely contenders for bronze. In Sochi, the picture beyond D/W and V/M was a lot less clear.

Last edited:

VGThuy

And don’t forget, it was not unprecedented that season for I/K to beat P/B. They did it at TEB that season and it was their only head-to-head before Sochi. The Shibs beat all of the Russian main contenders this season already and by some way. Sure B/S would have been close and may have beaten them but for the spin error but it didn’t happen.

jtpc

I'd like to see V/M rewarded more for their total commitment to delivering a performance. I feel that this is a decisive edge that they have over P/C, yet P/C seem to be coming away with more 10's for PE. Disappointing, as I don't feel they are as strong performers. When I think of involvement, projection, commitment, and the ability to perform, I think of V/M instantly (in both programs, actually).

Very glad to see Hubbell/Donohue on the rise. Of the top 3 US teams, I feel that their edge quality is the strongest. Their edges give their step sequences deep lobes, and I like their clear, distinct entry and exit edges on turns. I prefer their step sequence turn qualities to the Shibutani's, as I feel some of the Shibutani's exit edges to their turns can be a bit shallower late in a program. Interesting to see the Canadian judge giving Hubbell/Donohue her highest scores of the 3 US teams in the short dance. As a fan of H/D, it's great to see that someone is willing to do that. If other judges have felt a bit constrained in what they can award H/D because of past protocol, this might now free them up a bit to head more into the 9's for them.

Debbie S

No British eurosport commentaries videos yet for the SDs?
They are posted in the event thread in the K&C forum. If you don't have access, you should be able to find them on YouTube (that's where the posted vids are from).

slipchuk

Banned Member
The Russians have next to no shot at an ice dance medal. Based on the judging so far this season and how the teams look if everyone skates relatively clean, and some teams of course are more prone to errors than others the standings would go something like IMO:

1. Papadakis & Cizeron
2. Virtue & Moir
3. Shibutani & Shibutani
4. Weaver & Poje
5. Hubbell & Donohue
6. Chock & Bates
7. Capellini & Lanotte
8. Bobrova & Soloviev
9. Stepanova & Bukin
10. Gilles & Poirier

With some potential for variance of course, but roughly something like this. Their last grand prix outing proves a clean Bobrova & Soloviev cant even beat a clean Chock & Bates and I am almost certain Chock & Bates would be only the 4th highest scoring NA team if they all skated well behind Shibutanis, W&P, and H&D, so that just shows how far down B&S would be. So basically 4, 5, or 6 teams would have to have big stumbles, missed levels, or even falls for B&S or S&B to get the bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information