The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

Maybe he feels B/S are responsible and driven enough to work hard while he is away while S/K perhaps need someone on top of them all the time to keep working & not to pull stupid stunts.
I was basically thinking along the same lines. Not so much about pulling stupid stunts, but more about general guidance to the younger (in terms of their time together) team. B&S wouldn't require (at this stage of the game) the same amount of hand-holding - figuratively speaking, of course. Plus, Zhulin is only one guy, so he can't be everywhere. Imho.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Mhhhhhhhhhh. I loved Penny&Nic's SD the first time around, but in Coupe de Nice, she was so stiff, that program looked dull. Or it was the camera work.

Oh well, we'll have to wait good camera work all around I guess.

Areski

Mhhhhhhhhhh. I loved Penny&Nic's SD the first time around, but in Coupe de Nice, she was so stiff, that program looked dull. Or it was the camera work.

There's a reason why I rewatch more often V/M GPF SD from the previous season than from the World Championships even if they performed it better there. The camera work is crucial here. I get better impression of their speed / acceleration that blows my mind.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

I thought it looked those things the first time as well.

morqet

rising like a phoenix

Watched it live in Oberstdorf and then on the stream in Nice, and I think they were a bit tighter in France and the camera work didn't help. It's one of the better SDs this year.

Anyasnake

So happy that Stepanova and Bukin are in third place going into the FD! I love them :cheer2:
Honestly, I love them too, much more than G/P, and I think they're going to be excellent in the next quad to come.
Now being a fan of one team doesn't mean I want them to beat everybody, especially when someone puts on a better performance... and I think G/P skated cleaner and better in the SD. I have to admit I'm surprised.

VGThuy

Happy that the Shibs are first ;). IMO G/P should be ahead of S/B too, but well, it's Rostelecom Cup.

I don't think I can forget Piper's face in the KnC after their score and ranking was announced. To me, it looked like she felt something was up. Maybe they deserved to be behind S/B (I mean I don't think so, but I'm no judge) or maybe it's not unreasonable for S/B to be ahead in the way that they are, but those PCS S/B got in comparison to G/P's PCS makes one wonder. I mean they're just 0.03 points from being one whole point behind S/B in PCS.

Anyasnake

I don't think I can forget Piper's face in the KnC after their score and ranking was announced. To me, it looked like she felt something was up. Maybe they deserved to be behind S/B (I mean I don't think so, but I'm no judge) or maybe it's not unreasonable for S/B to be ahead in the way that they are, but those PCS S/B got in comparison to G/P's PCS makes one wonder. I mean they're just 0.03 points from being one whole point behind S/B in PCS.
Talking about the performances TODAY, G/P deserved to be 3rd, and definitely not behind on the pattern and the PCS. I really appreciate S/B's speed (and even overall abilities since I like them a lot) BUT they were not better today. :barrel

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Talking about the performances TODAY, G/P deserved to be 3rd, and definitely not behind on the pattern and the PCS. I really appreciate S/B's speed (and even overall abilities since I like them a lot) BUT they were not better today. :barrel

Thats right Sister, I was just coming in this thread to vent. LOL.. G&P should be a bit higher.......

I noticed S&B they did not do their twizzles in that low almost squat position. Did they remove that position b/c of points????

Im loving G&P.

Shibs rocked. TOTAL OGM contenders!!!!

VGThuy

Thats right Sister, I was just coming in this thread to vent. LOL.. G&P should be a bit higher.......

I noticed S&B they did not do their twizzles in that low almost squat position. Did they remove that position b/c of points????

Im loving G&P.

Shibs rocked. TOTAL OGM contenders!!!!

I thought it was that sit position that made S/B's twizzle have little ice coverage but now I'm seeing that's not quite the case. I can see why they go for the sit position because at least equals out the lack of ice coverage and results in good GOE. But I see that they received good GOE for this twizzle set in this SD anyway, so who knows?

GreenGan

Yeah... I think she's tired of waiting. G/P are 26 ? 27 by now ? They are at the level of W/P, and yet they don't have much result. There's a moment you feel like you've broken the hierarchy and want to be part of the top dog. Seeing a young team like S/B being ahead despite all you did.. Harsh. But it's also what sport is.
To me this applies particularly to Guignard/Fabbri. They are great skaters imo, and deserve better placement than what they earn at worlds and Euro. (Ok, they also deserve better program...)

MarieM

Okay.
Shibs were okay. Slow, but ok. Their pattern BTW sucks. But I'll take that SD.

Stepanova has edges. OMG. She has. That was so much better than their last outing. Really enjoyed it this time around.

B&S have changed that awfull music to something less awfull. As slow as the shibs, but IMO, they show less clean edges than Stepanova&Bukin. And that's ... well I would have had them 4th.

MarieM

It did, it's so small. But hey, at last they do have clean edges most of the time (and that I'll take).

Anyasnake

I know I'm a Shib fan, but I like to try to be as objective as I can while knowing that I am biased towards the Shibs, but I don't think their pattern sucked...like at all.
It didn't. At all. I thought it was really good actually.

EDIT : Plus having a CLEAN Latin program where such a music/theme can get easily sloppy on the ice, I'd call that a plus.

VGThuy

It did, it's so small. But hey, at last they do have clean edges most of the time (and that I'll take).

I just spent a good chunk of my lunch break comparing the patterns of the top teams of the season so far and I really don't see the Shibs' pattern being "so small" especially in comparison, but I guess we'll just have to disagree on that.

Mrs. P

FWIW, the Shibs scored 6.03 on the pattern and is only a handful of couples at this point who have scored more than six points on that element: Papdakis/Cizeron, 6.3 (Finlandia); Virtue/Moir, 6.2 (Autumn Classic); Hubbell and Donahue, 6.2 (U.S. International Classic); Coomes/Buckland 6.08 (Cup of Nice).

Different judging panels and can't compare blah blah blah, but that's what the scores are at the moment.

Anyasnake

FWIW, the Shibs scored 6.03 on the pattern and is only a handful of couples at this point who have scored more than six points on that element: Papdakis/Cizeron, 6.3 (Finlandia); Virtue/Moir, 6.2 (Autumn Classic); Hubbell and Donahue, 6.2 (U.S. International Classic); Coomes/Buckland 6.08 (Cup of Nice).

Different judging panels and can't compare blah blah blah, but that's what the scores are at the moment.
True but you can compare the levels and the GOE (on 2 different competition for the same team), that gives you quite the idea.

VGThuy

How are you guys comparing pattern sizes based off of video? Or are some of you commenting on it live at Rostelecom?

On video, which I admit is not a clearest way of doing it, but it gives you some idea of distance and edge lean especially using markers from the ice.

Debbie S

I'm no teknik on this, so maybe someone else knows...every team I looked at on the protocol (went down about 7 or 8 spots) got some 'votes' for either a violation of choreo restrictions or music restrictions, or both - anyone know why? Of course, it takes a majority of the panel to agree so no deductions were taken (usually only 1 or 2 judges...wonder if it was the same two for each team :shuffle:). I'm thinking the music deduction would have to do with the rhythm matching the steps, but the choreo restrictions were...?

VGThuy

I'm no teknik on this, so maybe someone else knows...every team I looked at on the protocol (went down about 7 or 8 spots) got some 'votes' for either a violation of choreo restrictions or music restrictions, or both - anyone know why? Of course, it takes a majority of the panel to agree so no deductions were taken (usually only 1 or 2 judges...wonder if it was the same two for each team :shuffle:). I'm thinking the music deduction would have to do with the rhythm matching the steps, but the choreo restrictions were...?

Stepanova/Bukin had three votes for music violations. Wow.

kittysk8ts

Shibs were excellent today. Dancy, clean and pristine. Theirs is my favourite PSt thus far. And what can one say about their twizzles that hasn't already been said? Total class.

G/P only received a level 2 for their pattern, her missing the first key point, and one or both of them missing the third key point. Dammit. I love them so much. I think they are quirky little geniuses as well as beautiful skaters.

And hey, I liked both B/S's and S/B's programs this time around, but prefer the actual skating of the aforementioned teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information