The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

VGThuy

A lot the latin SDs made me really sleepy. It's early though and I know the top teams will improve on the energy. Plus the nature of competitions will bring on the needed adrenaline to make them a bit more exciting. Stepanova didn't seem as bad as people made it sound dance above the ankles wise. At lease she trying to give the testers something to watch with all that movement.

Eisfee

there is not other explication :confused:, the guy barely knows to skate. She should have waited for this season to be over to looking for a better partner.
I think so too! Now we have to wait and see how far they can go....

suki

after a second view, I have to say that Elena I. must be totally and absolutely desperate to pair with this guy :scream:.

Possible reason: He IS easy on the eyes so maybe no one will notice what he is doing with his feet.

chapis

Possible reason: He IS easy on the eyes so maybe no one will notice what he is doing with his feet.

I think he looks very normal.

Am I the only one frustrated with the programs Alla and Pavel got? I mean, they probably have the worst two programs in figure skating right now :wall: :duh:

SD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNzsePUaOoU, the first part is good, but the last one , ¨ Toma que toma
que toma toma
que toma que toma toma
que toma que toma tátoma¨,
w..t..h...?, I do not know if to laugh or cry :soapbox:
FD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ie_fYwxiYs

Last edited:

sap5

Does the way the pattern is judged now make today's skaters perform it differently? For example, I've had the feeling that in some other patterns, the emphasis on key points made the skaters stress those points so judges could see them clearly, and that changed how the overall pattern looked when compared to the original CD.

ETA: looking at T/D, maybe rhumba isn't one of those patterns that looks different. Or maybe I'm just mistaken overall, lol.

Last edited:

Dobre

I think Betina and Sergei have the best program, and she moves really well.

They look ready for the season. Hoping they will get the host spot at Rostelecom. Betina could sell the socks off any piece of music.

That said . . . the first piece of this SD is the same as Smart & Diaz's. We are going to hear it at least four times before the Challenger series is over. And the lyrics are cha cha cha cha, repeat.

kittysk8ts

Does the way the pattern is judged now make today's skaters perform it differently? For example, I've had the feeling that in some other patterns, the emphasis on key points made the skaters stress those points so judges could see them clearly, and that changed how the overall pattern looked when compared to the original CD.

ETA: looking at T/D, maybe rhumba isn't one of those patterns that looks different. Or maybe I'm just mistaken overall, lol.
They are marked on whether they adhere to the pattern though (GOE). I suppose it is possible that some teams sacrifice parts of the pattern in favour of the key points, which is what determines the levels. I think that would be rare though.

Zazy

Remember when Khokhlova teamed up with Andreev? At least Elena's partner has done ice dance before.

Yehudi

AITA
after a second view, I have to say that Elena I. must be totally and absolutely desperate to pair with this guy :scream:.

I think if Elena is fine with having a career similar to Leonova's current situation, where she gets a Grand Prix and a Senior B or two every year with little chance of a Euros or Worlds, or if she plans on skating for Azerbaijan and is happy finishing 15th, then Shibnev is more than adequate. But for someone who should have been a multiple world champion by now, this is depressing.

chapis

well, finally Zhulin is copying the Montreal style, even Victoria and Ekaterina are wearing dresses similar to those worn by Gabriella, only they look cheaper. I do not blame him, it has been said to the weariness why they cling to a style that no longer works. And I think the new method will work, the public was very pleased.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Only Zhulin has nothing to do with that FD since they went to outside choreo, and it could work. The two pieces of music do not mesh together, there is some work to be done on that editing IMO. But that is because they don't understand how Montreal works with music.

chapis

Only Zhulin has nothing to do with that FD since they went to outside choreo, and it could work. The two pieces of music do not mesh together, there is some work to be done on that editing IMO. But that is because they don't understand how Montreal works with music.

Did the guys look for themselves external choreography? It was about time, it was strange now for me that the skaters themselves did nothing for themselves. Is it the same choreogrpher for both teams? because the programs look kind of similar, or maybe the similar is Zhulin´s input.

And about the music, it sounds better than the music of V/M (FD) last season. And many people had problems with P/C (FD) music last season (not me), and H/D SD music :duh:.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
The two pieces of music do not mesh together, there is some work to be done on that editing IMO. But that is because they don't understand how Montreal works with music.
Exactly, like last year, only not as jarring. There is quite a bit of mimography a la Medvedeva both at the beginning and the end. Does anyone know what they are trying to portray ? I wanted a second Anna Karenina, oh well let's see as it progresses through the competitions but they have a lot of work on their step sequences, lots of blurry and unassured steps right now.

MarieM

Exactly, like last year, only not as jarring. There is quite a bit of mimography a la Medvedeva both at the beginning and the end. Does anyone know what they are trying to portray ? I wanted a second Anna Karenina, oh well let's see as it progresses through the competitions but they have a lot of work on their step sequences, lots of blurry and unassured steps right now.
Still this is their best FD effort in ages IMO of course. Loads of works needed, but I fear unlike last season, the coach will spend time with Nikita more than with them.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
In the FD Nikita looks like he manages to keep his twizzles under control but it might be due to the clever choreography slowing him down. I find they improved compared to last year.

MarieM

Russian fans are hysteric about Mozgov&Popova's FD. Let me tell you one thing : skating skills do matter. And they have none to speak of. She's a fantastic dancer as far as artistry is concerned, the only thing is that she's even weaker than Stepanova. And he is no Bukin.
People make me wonder sometimes.

Jun Y

Russian fans are hysteric about Mozgov&Popova's FD. Let me tell you one thing : skating skills do matter. And they have none to speak of. She's a fantastic dancer as far as artistry is concerned, the only thing is that she's even weaker than Stepanova. And he is no Bukin.

I quite like this FD, even if not hysterical. For a Carmen program, the music cuts and construction are coherent and interesting --- except I don't agree with the very long quiet opening segment. Popova is perfect for the role. Skating-wise, Mozgov is not bad. I think it's a good pairing. Bukin is stronger in both skating and performance, which kind of makes Stepanova look distractingly weak. In this case however, Popova needs a strong but unflashy partner to support her blaring performance. No wonder they look good together.

Bobrova and Soloviev OTOH ... I can't shake the feeling that Zhulin is not giving them the material that make them look good. They give out a sweet and conventionally romantic vibe, but he is making them too complicated.

Ka3sha

He is no Bukin indeed but no way she is worse than Stepanova in terms of SS

chapis

but what are they saying? russian fans want M/P get an olympic spot? or they are only enjoying the program?

Ka3sha

but what are they saying? russian fans want M/P get an olympic spot? or they are only enjoying the program?
Nope, they just want them for the host pick at CoR instead of Evdokimova/Bazin and Ilikykh/Shibnev ;)
I don't think that they have enough power and speed to skate to that program but the dance itself is quite good, Rumyantseva did a great job with them this season, imo

chapis

Nope, they just want them for the host pick at CoR instead of Evdokimova/Bazin and Ilikykh/Shibnev ;)
I don't think that they have enough power and speed to skate to that program but the dance itself is quite good, Rumyantseva did a great job with them this season, imo

oh, I am totally agree with russian fans, they should to get the spot for Rostelecom.

Dobre

Nope, they just want them for the host pick at CoR instead of Evdokimova/Bazin and Ilikykh/Shibnev

I agree with this. It's a perfectly legitimate wish, IMO. There's nothing hysteric about it. Ilinykh & Shibnev haven't had the time and aren't signed up to compete anywhere internationally yet. (Plus Rostelecom is early this year). Evdokimova & Bazin had the host spot last season. And Popova & Mozgov defeated them head to head at their only Challenger last year. I thought maybe we would get another head-to-head first at Nepela, but E&B pulled out. Last year, P&M weren't ready. This year they are. Might as well get their chance. Their SB is over 10 points higher than E&B's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information