Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Oh yes, that was a gorgeous one! If only the marriage had been as good as the dress...

I like Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding look, and for less traditional wedding apparel, the Duchess of Cornwall; both were in the top ten over at OoS. And of course Jetsun Pema looked stunning on her wedding day, but then she could look stunning in anything.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CY4rFUEaIOY/UG4fUFXnYzI/AAAAAAAAMW0/XNGvMSYZG1c/s1600/__BestSarah1.jpg

Sarah looks lovely and the dress has a nice fit The bodice is very attractive on her.

Lorac

PDilemma

My cousin's wife put up a wedding picture for her anniversary last week. They got married in 1994, but her dress was practically a carbon copy of Sarah Ferguson's from eight years before. The bodice was different, but probably because she was five months pregnant.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I think that Diana's dress was designed with "virginal over-the-topness" in mind.
It seems dated now; rather than iconic or classic.

Taffeta always wrinkles; and there was so much skirt that it would have been difficult to prevent.
Iconic? Not so much. Didn't like it then or now

Skittl1321

I feel bad for Meagan that the rule is that she can't go to the church cause she's not engaged or married to Harry. Guess that protocol is a little outdated for me.

I read it was Pippa who decided "no ring, no bring" so not really protocol, but just a way to limit the guest list. She of course could make any exceptions she wanted, and likely Meagan was invited but chose not to attend due to press.

I've been to weddings with similar "rules" for the +1

Cachoo

Ok---so about Ms. Markle: I heard she was the first in her clan to go to college and she was accepted to a school where entry is not easy by any means and that was Northwestern. I also understand she has long been a volunteer and has made volunteering important in her life and that she has been involved with the UN for years. Am I right? The reason I asked is because you get all of these negative comments about her from readers of the "Daily Mail." And yes, I know the DM has some skanky readers but am I wrong to think that people in the UK don't like her? I think she seems like a good woman.

Lorac

Ok---so about Ms. Markle: I heard she was the first in her clan to go to college and she was accepted to a school where entry is not easy by any means and that was Northwestern. I also understand she has long been a volunteer and has made volunteering important in her life and that she has been involved with the UN for years. Am I right? The reason I asked is because you get all of these negative comments about her from readers of the "Daily Mail." And yes, I know the DM has some skanky readers but am I wrong to think that people in the UK don't like her? I think she seems like a good woman.

I don't think most people have any opinions so either way regarding Megan. Some DM readers especially online are just nasty - though I find most online comments on most newspapers are more negative than positive on many subjects.

Anyway apparently Megan did attend the evening reception as - according to the press over here - Harry did a 100 miles round trip to get her. Seems like a reasonable compromise there. Pippa doesn't have to share her moment in the spotlight except with her niece and nephew and Harry and Megan get enjoy a party as a couple out of the eyes of the press.

I did see Roger and Mirka Federer were guests though don't know whether they were guests of the bride or the groom.

algonquin

I think the Countess of Wessex's wedding dress was the best out of her's, Di's and Fergie's.
If I remember correctly, the press thought that she was quite cheeky for wearing a coat dress. Only those at the reception saw the dress underneath.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I don't find most strapless dresses flattering at all.

Agree, especially when the wearer spends the entire day/evening hiking it up.

re Diana's dress - agree that it has not stood the test of time At. All. But back then, the last big wedding we all saw was Princess Anne years earlier :yawn: and there was a lot riding on this one and everyone was expecting a full princess moment, so at the time it was a lot of fun. Had she worn Pippa's dress for example, I think there would have been a lot of disappointed royal watchers.

re Pippa's dress - I am happy to see that she went classic and classy, as I think some might have been expecting a butt-hugging dress, or perhaps something bridezillaesque. I really liked her hair as well, and the traditional looks on the men and the children. This may be odd but I feel like this marriage will last - many years from now they will look at their wedding pictures and they will look as great as the day they took them.

Which brings me to Kate's dress. After Diana I know many hoped/thought it might be something really original and modern, but I think she made the right choice. Pippa will be looking at her wedding pictures for decades, but Kate's wedding portrait will be viewed for centuries - literally. Rather than choosing a classic wedding dress style, I thought it was the dress of a future queen, for a portrait that will hang next to other Queens of England for all of time. I thought it was perfect. :)

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
OT - When William is king won't Kate's title be Queen Consort or will it actually be Queen? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jenny

From the Bloc
The rules seem to be a bit flexible. It's likely something King Charles will advise on, but that King William can decide himself.

attyfan

OT - When William is king won't Kate's title be Queen Consort or will it actually be Queen? Inquiring minds want to know.

As best I can tell, a Queen Consort and a Queen Regnant are both given the same title. For example, the current monarch and her mother (during the last king's lifetime) shared the title "HRH Queen Elizabeth".

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think the Countess of Wessex's wedding dress was the best out of her's, Di's and Fergie's.

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/wedding-wednesday-countess-of-wessexs.html

Diana's was a disaster - which I though at the time. I never got the love for that dress.

I thought Kate's dress was spectacular - and very well fitted so not sure what others were seeing. And I actually really liked Pippa's - it really suited her.

Sophie, Countess of Wessex looked fine in her wedding dress. The bell-like sleeves at her wrist are interesting. The dress is very nice too in styling and material, but I don't think it stands out as particularly memorable. Sophie doesn't seem to have a great sense of style. At first she seemed to copy Diana's style a bit, but in recent years she looks rather dowdy (albeit with well-made outfits that are sometimes flattering).

I did really like Kate's wedding dress a lot. I was trying to figure out what others were seeing about it not fitting. I really loved the see-through lace bodice and sleeves. Kate wanted to wear her hair down, regardless of how people perceive she might have looked better with it up. She probably has fond memories of the entire experience and doesn't dwell on what she might have done differently. I don't think Kate ever gave a thought to the tabloid frenzy about Pippa's beautiful bridesmaid's dress. Pippa and Kate likely cherish the memory of that day, and now they have Pippa's wonderful day to remember too. :) Re Pippa's dress, I didn't particularly like the high neck and the cap sleeves, but the dress was very lovely with the appliqued lace and the gorgeous silhouette.

They must have had a blast at the evening celebration. I wonder what Pippa wore that evening?

ETA:
@Jenny your view is likely on target. Kate wasn't just thinking about the day, she was thinking about the history of the moment. Keeping her hair long and loose, along with the way the dress was styled is probably all a part of the thinking to create a regal and timeless look that will resonate down through the ages. If people perceive anything about the dress not fitting, it could just be that Kate had lost a bit of weight and the dress had to be taken in a bit. I'm not sure I see that aside from something about the hem and the dress folds, but its nothing very obvious to me.

Last edited:

Vagabond

As best I can tell, a Queen Consort and a Queen Regnant are both given the same title. For example, the current monarch and her mother (during the last king's lifetime) shared the title "HRH Queen Elizabeth".

HM Queen Elizabeth during her husband's reign, and thereafter HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (a title she hated, but that's what comes of giving one's daughter one's own name).

HM Queen Elizabeth II ("No, we are not our mother.") :glamor:

MsZem

I see the sea
HM Queen Elizabeth during her husband's reign, and thereafter HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (a title she hated, but that's what comes of giving one's daughter one's own name).

HM Queen Elizabeth II ("No, we are not our mother.") :glamor:
Nor were we born in the 16th century.

In The Netherlands, Queen Maxima and Queen (now Princess) Beatrix are/were referred to as queen, but Maxima is Queen Consort while Beatrix was Queen Regnant.

I approve of Kate's dress and Beatrice's shoes. The York princesses are adorable.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The rules seem to be a bit flexible. It's likely something King Charles will advise on, but that King William can decide himself.

Yep, I kinda think that the young royals will be ushering in a completely new age, where some of the old-fashioned rules of protocol may be more relaxed, while still adhering to time-honored traditions that stand the test of time.

:lol: @Vagabond. When Elizabeth II was born, there was no thought of her actually becoming a queen one day. And, it was not just that she was named after her mother. Elizabeth just happened to be a very historic, royal name (as you reference).

The Queen Mother to me never really resembled an Elizabeth. Did her husband Bertie call her Lizzie for short, or Betty or Eliza, I wonder? :p

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think Kate's dress fit just fine, but the cut of the bodice wasn't super flattering, imo. An angular bosom and a v neck tend to work better aesthetically if the lady, well, has a lot more to work with. That said, she still looked gorgeous.

Lorac

I think Kate's dress fit just fine, but the cut of the bodice wasn't super flattering, imo. An angular bosom and a v neck tend to work better aesthetically if the lady, well, has a lot more to work with. That said, she still looked gorgeous.

I agree - loved the dress except for the neckline. A v-neck - or scooped neck would have worked much better for me. However Kate wore it very well and looked very happy to be there. I suspect she will take over the Chelsea duties once the Queen can no longer make it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Beatrice's eyes are super huge though. Fergie's eyes are huge, but I think Beatrice's are huger! :eek:

Actually, Princess Bea's face has the shape and look of her father's face, aside from her eyes. And Princess Eugenie's face has the shape and look of her mother's face. Actually, I think Eugenie looks a lot like her mother, except for her dark coloring, whereas Bea has her mother's ginger coloring, but otherwise takes after the Windsors, and is practically her namesake's doppelganger. Eugenie's eyes are closer to the shape of her mother's, while Bea's eyes take after the largeness of her mother's, but the shape is rounder and more bug-eyed like that of the ancient Princess Bea.

Check out how much current Princess Beatrice takes after her namesake (the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ice_1868.jpg/220px-Princess_Beatrice_1868.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ice_1886.png/220px-Princess_Beatrice_1886.png
https://i0.wp.com/www.royalcentral....ds/2013/08/Prince-beatrice-nice-one-large.jpg (even the eyes are quite similar)

Bea and Eugenie
https://images-production.global.ss...sts/image/62741/princess-eugenie-beatrice.jpg

Duchess Fergie
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/art...sarah-ferguson-pic-getty-images-839555123.jpg (more like Eugenie's eyes and face, no?)

Prince Andrew
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Prince_Andrew_August_2014_(cropped).jpg

Yes, The V neckline of Kate's wedding dress was rather long and deep, which draws more attention to the bosom. She must have had structured and padded cups. It was still pretty. It's fun to remember back and debate. :D Perhaps the V should have been less pronounced.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5e/cf/05/5ecf057a69c158c89cf57ff6fce3696c.jpg

Last edited:

liv

It is so funny how we all see different things. When I see Eugenie, I do not see Sarah at all, but the Queen Mother when she was young. To me, they are almost identical. I do agree that Beatrice takes after Queen Victoria's line, though, with Sarah's colouring.

skatesindreams

The Queen released this statement today:

2017-Trooping-Queens-Note-re-Manchester-London-Events.jpg

A wonderful example of compassion and empathy for all to embrace.

Gazpacho

Here are some more pictures.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...orge-Kate-royal-balcony-Queen-s-birthday.html

Kate looks like a bubble gum flavored popsicle :scream: The dress is nice. It would be very pretty sleeveless or short sleeved, but I suppose that would be inappropriate for this occasion? The hat pushes it over the top though (no pun intended), and the hat design looks like it's made of cake frosting. Camilla looks lovely though again the hat makes the outfit look less rather than more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information