The role of commentators in figure skating

jenny12

I think Tara and Johnny are capable of making good comments but they don’t come off as professionals the way someone like Tanith does. One thing about Dick Button that I liked is (whether you agreed or not), it was clear what he valued about skating and he was able to shape that into a narrative that informed his commentary. Tara and Johnny don’t have that so their commentary sometimes comes off as unfocused IMO.

On My Own

One thing about Dick Button that I liked is (whether you agreed or not), it was clear what he valued about skating and he was able to shape that into a narrative that informed his commentary.
I think people focus on Dick Button's insistence on "artistry" and his biases (which I don't believe he ever tried to hide and appear "objective" which is more than what I can say of every American after him), but I very much agree that he came off as liking skating first, and always gave comments specific to the skater. He also gave criticism that would improve the skater - sure according to his bias, but again, at least he cared?

Hedwig

Antique member
Good point. The one thing that annoys me most- even more than talking the whole time- is commentators being clearly not interested in the sport and not caring about it or the rules.

I always get the British Eurosport commentators mixed up who got the boot thankfully but there were a couple clearly not interested in skating and still in the 6.0 system. How will you make viewers care if you do not care yourself? :blah:

That is how Belinda won me over. She really cared. A lot.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Dont`leave us. Off season is conspiracy theory time, Eteri-bash time, pre-rotation analysis time. There`s much to do!
Ha ha….new programs time! I hope to hear of great new programs - not modern schlock - for Ilya and Isabeau…and anything BUT “Whining Woman” for Amber Glenn!!!!

Sylvia

TBD
But I can’t wait to hear him again in late August when JGP Courchevel starts up.
First JGP will be August 23-26, 2023, in Bangkok, Thailand.

There are 5 internationals left on the ISU calendar:

Thailand Open Figure Skating Trophy, May 1-4, Bangkok, Thailand
ISU International Adult Competition, May 15-20, Oberstdorf, Germany
Oceania International Competition, May 15-17, Auckland, New Zealand
Mexico Cup, May 16-20, Mexico City (Queretaro City), Mexico
Hollins Trophy International, June 9-12, Sydney, Australia

Frau Muller

First JGP will be August 23-26, 2023, in Bangkok, Thailand.

There are 5 internationals left on the ISU calendar:

Thailand Open Figure Skating Trophy, May 1-4, Bangkok, Thailand
ISU International Adult Competition, May 15-20, Oberstdorf, Germany
Oceania International Competition, May 15-17, Auckland, New Zealand
Mexico Cup, May 16-20, Mexico City (Queretaro City), Mexico
Hollins Trophy International, June 9-12, Sydney, Australia
Bangkok in AUGUST…can be torture!

Frau Muller

Dont`leave us. Off season is conspiracy theory time, Eteri-bash time, pre-rotation analysis time. There`s much to do!
How many times will Dave Lease run into Eteri at a US airport & take a selfie? She’ll be followed across America, I bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information