Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun Y

I do worry about NBC's hype machine though. They keep playing that clip of Nathan as a little boy performing to "Peter and the Wolf" then cut to the grown up Nathan. I'm fearful they'll jinx him.

I second that. Of course we all want to see skaters we enjoy to watch do well and achieve their dreams, but the corporate hype machine for ratings around the Olympics can get a bit excessive for my taste. Athletes do not directly benefit from the $$$ TV networks and IOC reap from the Olympics, but they are the source of all this. Athletes are individuals and should not be reduced to money-making or medal-grabbing objects.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I want Nathan wrapped in bubble wrap from now through the Olympics and beyond! :D Awesome job at 4CCs! He skated to gold even with some mistakes!

I do worry about NBC's hype machine though... I truly hope that Nathan has his blinders on and stays focused. Not allow all of this new attention get to him and mess him up ... All of that being said, on the other hand, it would be wonderful if Nathan could bring some more fans in to the sport should his popularity soar even more! :summer:

^^ That latter is what fans on various forums are hoping will be the outcome. I think the prospect of Nathan's multiple quad feats increasing the fs fan base remains to be seen. It might happen to a certain degree should Nathan wield magic at the Olympics in superior fashion.

I totally agree that Nathan's health should be monitored and protected with great care. Get the young man a traveling personal trainer and masseuse already! What Nathan's doing is nothing to take for granted. Apparently, over the course of his recent rehabs in Colorado, Nathan has been given important advice and strategies for training smartly and efficiently, and maintaining his physical health. The fact that Nathan has stopped growing, he has hopefully indicated, should mean his growth-related bone injury complications are behind him.

As far as his 4CCs performances, Nathan had a few minor miscues, including an awkward landing on one 3-axel, a turn out on his second 3-axel (part of 3-jump combo), and a single turn out on another jump. Nothing major, although he will surely look toward cleaning up those miscues and aiming to be as clean as possible at Worlds. As @Jammers mentioned earlier, the fact Nathan is able to manage his nerves and make adjustments on the fly without crumbling, is a valuable skill, both mentally and physically.

Last edited:

olympic

My fantasy LP Jump layout for Worlds?

4Z+3T
4F
4T
3A
----
4T+2T
4S
3A-1L-3F
3Z

I had read somewhere he and Raf were planning a 3A-1L-3F for 4CC to compete w/ Yuzu.

He also is more comfortable w/ the 4T than the 3A, so why not move it into the bonus period? Having 2 quads in the bonus period will help him out against Javi and Yuzu.

aftershocks

Banned Member
He also is more comfortable w/ the 4T than the 3A, so why not move it into the bonus period? Having 2 quads in the bonus period will help him out against Javi and Yuzu.

Yes, interesting. But they have to factor in stamina in late stages of the program. Not impossible but they may not want to make too many changes to the layout this season. Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be figured out during training sessions in the lead-up to Worlds.

olympic

Yes, interesting. But they have to factor in stamina in late stages of the program. Not impossible but they may not want to make too many changes to the layout this season. Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be figured out during training sessions in the lead-up to Worlds.

Yeah. Of course. I also agree that they probably should freeze the jump layout but figured that if they were comfortable enough to consider a 3A-1L-3F late in the game, then it's doable. Regardless, I think he should still consider swapping the 4T->3A in the 4th and 5th jumping passes, because I understand that the 4T is his easiest of the big jumps (including the 3A), even if he keeps the 3F-3T at the end

Jammers

There is no reason Nathan's 3A shouldn't be better then it is right now. Adam Rippon had horrible issues with the 3A before he went to Raf and now's it's decent at least so if Adam who isn't the jumper Nathan is can improve his 3A then so can Nathan.

Vagabond

Entire post

I was going to say that Fernández' lower technical ability at the time was the main reason why he placed so low, but then I went back and looked at the PCS he received in the Short Program at Worlds in 2007. He received exactly two 5.00's from any judge (the same one, in fact) and a dozen marks in the 3's, including a couple of 3.00's. Ouch!

Fernández has vastly improved, and even though Chen is at a higher level now than Fernández was then, so can he.

antmanb

There is no reason Nathan's 3A shouldn't be better then it is right now.

Nathen clearly prefers the toe jumps to the edge jumps. Wasn't there an interview where Arutunian said that they wanted to rework Nathen's technique on the salchow - though that was before he added the 4S to his LP. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the 3A is trickier for Nathen than any of the other quads. We sometimes see that in the ladies too where they still struggle with the 2A despite having most or all of their other triples. I'm sure there are things Nathen can do to improve it and he's only 17.

skatesindreams

I'm sure that the "weaknesses" which some find in Nathan's skating, will be refined as continues to train and consult with his coaches and choreographers.
I intend to enjoy watching his progress, as he and his programs "mature"; rather than complaining about them.

We are privileged to be able to watch the growth of such a gifted skater, athlete, and individual; as it continues.

DreamSkates

As far as jinxing or wrapping Chen in bubble wrap - well he seems rather cool about his success this year. Genuinely happy but emotionally calm talking about it. (compare to others who have nervousness afterward - K Chen - or cry - Rippon - or relieved, or the like). He knows what he can do, his post injury training gave him new insights into his skating, and he is a hard worker. He does not doubt himself so the doesn't seem to have the brain games that some skaters have that interrupts their programs (G Gold). Any skater that can decide, in the middle of a nationals competition program, to add a fifth quad, has some kind of skill and confidence that most don't. I'd say that gives him something that most skaters don't have, going into this Olympic year. Of course, being at the Olympics he will feel a different kind of pressure than ever before, but my bet is that he will handle it well.

Sylvia

TBD
"The Ice Prince" article by Alice Park also includes a just under 2-minute video/interview - it's quite an honor for Nathan to have been selected as one of TIME's Next Generation Leaders in 2017 ("10 pioneers who cross boundaries, forge new paths, take their crafts to unexpected places and also improve the world.").

Not surprisingly, Nathan also won the Professional Skaters Association's EDI Award for Best Performance at 2017 Nationals (though I would have preferred to see him win for his short program).
The award is based on the "total performance" with an eye to costuming, presentation, music selection, choreography, style, and technique.

Yesterday I posted the news of all the winners here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...2017-u-s-nationals.97306/page-16#post-5027124
Best Performance Men
Nathan Chen – Championship Men Free Skate Program
PSA Coach – Rafael Arutyunyan
Choreographers - Marina Zoueva, Nadezda Kanaeva
Music selection – “The Polovtsian Dances” by Aleksandr Borodin
Costume designer – Ladu Designs: Elena Pollack and Jamie Dollhopf
"A formal presentation of these awards will take place during U.S. Figure Skating’s Champs Camp later this year."

ETA: Nathan also won the same award last year for his FS.

Nathan did not win Team USA's Best of February Male Athlete award (biathlete Lowell Bailey won) but considering he already won it for December and January I think it's okay. ;)

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Heres a great article on Nathan's balletic background from IN.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/03/24/220700164

adorb photo!!

Dance background helps to enhance Chen's skating
Years of ballet training have 17-year-old U.S. champion set up for success

"Chen's ballet teachers feel his quick mastery of ballet jumps, called tours, and of its spins, called pirouettes, came from his skating. He would constantly be practicing them in a corner of the room during breaks in ballet classes.

It was rare, Christie said, for 11- to 13-year-olds to do double tours, where the takeoff comes from a knee bend (plié) and the landing finishes with another plié. That was among the reasons teachers moved Chen into advanced classes, with much older students, almost immediately after his mother, Hetty Wang, first enrolled him in the ballet school."

VGThuy

adorb photo!!

"Chen's ballet teachers feel his quick mastery of ballet jumps, called tours, and of its spins, called pirouettes, came from his skating. He would constantly be practicing them in a corner of the room during breaks in ballet classes.

It was rare, Christie said, for 11- to 13-year-olds to do double tours, where the takeoff comes from a knee bend (plié) and the landing finishes with another plié. That was among the reasons teachers moved Chen into advanced classes, with much older students, almost immediately after his mother, Hetty Wang, first enrolled him in the ballet school."

Loved this article!

Sylvia

TBD
Here's audio of Nathan's pre-Worlds media call yesterday: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/220125674/v1246409383/

ETA - cross-posting from the Jason uber thread:
Jason tweeted an adorable picture of himself and Nathan Chen back when they were young boy skaters:

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/845047105928486912
Bowl cut! :D I'm guessing the photo could have been taken when they competed together in Juvenile at 2007 "Junior" Nationals in late 2006 - Jason won the gold (age 12) and Nathan placed 10th (age 7).

Last edited:

Firedancer

No he didn't give a lot of detail. He said his boots are getting worn. They will be repaired and he will not have new boots for worlds.

This was a great article! And the video is adorable!

olympic

No he didn't give a lot of detail. He said his boots are getting worn. They will be repaired and he will not have new boots for worlds.

This was a great article! And the video is adorable!

OK. Sounds like he's got everything under control?

Pretty Vegas

Yeah, it didn't seem too doom and gloom after I listened to the teleconference. To note, he also said this about his boots right before 4cc's (while he was there I saw an interview he gave saying his boots were feeling soft - must have been the old pair because he got new ones right after 4cc) and that didn't seem to bother him tooooo much...

Firedancer

He sounds like he will be ok. He said he had a couple unproductive days but the plan is still to go for the five quads. He didn't seem very worried about it. I was surprised that his was the shortest call of all of them.

SkateFanBerlin

adorb photo!!

As one who would like more balance, it was good to see a master of quads say that it takes away from thee artistic side of the sport. He admitted if you had the quads, under the current scoring, you'd be foolish not to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information