Let's Talk Movies #33: Star Wars: Jabba Rising...Captain America Trumps China...and MORE!

Which Movies Might You See In 2017? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• The Lego Batman Movie

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Logan

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • T2: Trainspotting

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Kong: Skull Island

• Beauty and the Beast

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Snatched

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Alien: Covenant

• Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

Seerek

The Japanese movie that stands out the most to me is "Nobody Knows". I found two trailers for it on youtube and neither come close to doing it justice. It's about four children with a single mother who is struggling to get by. The mother meets a man and as the dating process continues, the children see less and less of their mother. And if you want any more of the story, you're going to have to watch the movie!

I'm glad this topic has come up because I see this movie is not on my favourite movies of all time list, and it deserves to be.

The naturalistic film-making style of the children-only scenes was a good decision, with (12 year old) Yuya Yagira anchoring the movie amazingly well portraying the elder son.

The fact that the movie had some basis on a true incident really added to the overall impact for me.

And yes, Departures and Like Father Like Son are both mandatory viewing as well, IMO.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 4 months... very well done, I literally felt like a fly on the wall in a very personal situation. Not for everyone, but it stayed with with me for quite awhile.

I have seen a few movies on this list, A Separation, Pans Labyrinth, Lives of Others which some of the best movies I have ever seen.

Another movie not on the list, which is what convinced me that subtitles are worth the effort - 'Das Boot'. I saw the subtitled movie. And my sister saw the dubbed version. One key scene where the German soldiers break out singing 'It's a long way to Tipperary' in English was a very moving scene. My sister didnt think so as they it was all in English. I know subtitles can be a pain, but you get to hear what was meant. I do wish though that subtitles were put in boxes so they do not blend into the movie. The movie Northface was awesome, set in the Alps with snow and white letters.

I saw Separation and The Lives of others during their Oscar seasons. Loved them both.

I have no problem with subtitles. A good movie is just as enjoyable with subtitles as it is without them.

I would add to the list Kolya (CZK) and the Japanese movie about flying aeroplanes. Every time I forget its title, and it's not a difficult title. :)

There was a Hindi movie about Taxes and Cricket. I can't remember its title either. It was a single word that meant Taxes.

Also last year's nominees for best foreign language pictures Ida and Leviathan were very good.

There was a French movie, with Kristin Scott Thomas In it. The title was something along 'I will always love you'

I will definitely look up Northface.

PeterG

Trailers For Movies Released 2017-02-10th - Playlist

Feb. 10th - The Lego Batman Movie (Wide) - Animated comedy with Will Arnett, Ralph Fiennes, Rosario Dawson, Michael Cera, Zach Galifianakis, Mariah Carey, Jenny Slate, Billy Dee Williams

Feb. 10th - Fifty Shades Darker (Wide) – Romantic drama with Dakota Johnson, Jamie Dornan, Rita Ora, Kim Basinger and Marcia Gay Harden

Feb. 10th - John Wick: Chapter Two (Wide) - Crime thriller with Keanu Reeves, Bridget Moynahan, Laurence Fishburne Ian McShane, Common and John Leguizamo

Feb. 10th - A United Kingdom (Limited) – Romantic drama with David Oyelowo, Rosamund Pike, Jack Davenport and Tom Felton

Feb. 10th - KEDi (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A profile of an ancient city and its unique people, seen through the eyes of the most mysterious and beloved animal humans have ever known, the Cat.”

Feb. 10th - Running Wild (Limited) – Drama with Sharon Stone, Tommy Flanagan [Sons of Anarchy] and Jason Lewis [Sex and the City]

Feb. 10th – Havenhurst (New York / Los Angeles) –Horror mystery thriller with Julie Benz and Fionnula Flanagan

Feb. 10th - Stray Bullets (Limited) – Crime thriller with James Le Gros. From imdb.com: “In upstate New York, two teenage boys are tasked with cleaning out their father's old mobile home on an abandoned property, but the boys are in for a surprise when they discover three crooks on the run have taken refuge in the trailer.”

Feb. 10th - Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (New York / Los Angeles) – Documentary. From Hollywoodreporter.com: “For his second documentary feature, Colin Hanks profiles Eagles of Death Metal, the American band whose Paris concert was interrupted by a deadly terrorist attack, as they prepare to return to the French capital.”

Feb. 10th - Bornless Ones (Los Angeles) – Horror, new cast. From imdb.com: “With the help of her friends, Emily moves to a remote home to take better care of her brother, Zack who is diagnosed with cerebral palsy. But what they don't know is that the house kept a terrifying secret that will haunt them one by one.”

Feb. 10th - Jolly LLB (Limited) – Indian comedy drama. From imdb.com: “Jolly is a clumsy lawyer who is faced with representing the most critical court case of his career.”

watchthis!!

I really liked A Hologram for the King. When I saw Tom Hanks on the DVD cover...and even though I didn't remember anything about this movie when it was in theatres (or if it made it to theatres), I thought I couldn't go wrong if it had Tom Hanks in it (The Lady Killers aside). And I was right, it's like a hidden treasure. But in lower case letters, not capitals as it's a somewhat subdued movie, yet still pulls you in and entertains you. It was nice actually to watch a movie that wasn't trying to try so darn hard at every turn. So yay for subtley. Hanks plays a businessman who is struggling in pretty much every aspect of his life and it seems like everything is hinging on how things work out for him on this business trip to Saudi Arabia. I keep censoring myself as to what happens as it would kind of spoil the experience for you so I'll just say that it's a tale of not giving up and staying open to what comes your way regardless of whether it fits into your plans or not. Unfortunately this movie only did eight million at the box office and Wikipedia says it cost 30 million to make. Which is a shame because it has more substance than most of the splashy movies that achieve great success. Hopefully people will find this movie through DVD, streaming and Netflix, etc.

The trailer for A Hologram for the King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW4OE1egbHs

P.S. The movie co-stars Sarita Choudhury, who I recognized immediately but couldn't place. She stars in the tv shows Blindspot and Homeland as well as the final two Hunger Games movies. Tom Skerritt and Ben Whishaw are also in this movie, but both have small roles.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really liked A Hologram for the King.

The trailer for A Hologram for the King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW4OE1egbHs

P.S. The movie co-stars Sarita Choudhury, who I recognized immediately but couldn't place. She stars in the tv shows Blindspot and Homeland as well as the final two Hunger Games movies. Tom Skerritt and Ben Whishaw are also in this movie, but both have small roles.

I will look it up on Netflix.

I think Sarita Choudhary acted in Mississippi Masala, a very old movie about Ana Indian family living in the West(USA)?

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Watched the very hyped Toni Erdmann yesterday. This movie left me puzzled to say the least. First off, I didn't expect it to run so long and I'm not sure it was necessary but I kept watching, sg compelling about this story. I expected a funny movie but it is much more loaded with cringe worthy and second-hand embarrassment scenes than anything truly funny. It does say sg about our busy way of life and our difficulty to connect to each other through this damaged father-daughter relationship. Both are really cold characters though and it's difficult to empathize with any of them which I thought kind of undermine the movie a bit. However nothing is sugar coded and such bluntness could be seen as a refreshing departure from regular full of feel good/moralistic movies on how to learn to let go and let love and people into your life.
I would be interested to know what you all thought about it if any of you have seen it.
In the end, not my favorite, I was a bit disappointed (I should know better by now than to build up a movie in my mind :rolleyes:) but still intriguing and will probably stay with me for a while making me think. So not all bad.

Next, @watchthis!! , you made me want to check A hologram for the king out.

Sylvia

TBD
I just learned there will be a sequel to Mary Poppins: http://www.eonline.com/news/828182/mary-poppins-returns-plot-details-revealed
Production has commenced at Shepperton Studios in Surrey, England, the studio announced Friday. The film—scheduled for release December 25, 2018—stars Emily Blunt in the title role.
Directed by Rob Marshall, Marry Poppins Returns features an all-star cast that includes Colin Firth, Lin Manuel-Miranda, Emily Mortimer, Meryl Streep, Julie Walters and Ben Whishaw. Additionally, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh star as three new Banks children. Best of all, Dick Van Dyke—who played Bert in 1964's Mary Poppins—stars as Mr. Dawes Jr., the chairman of Fidelity Fiduciary Bank, which is now run by William Weatherall Wilkins (Firth).

all_empty

I screened "Lego: Batman" last week. It was cute. The cinematic and culture references might go over kids' heads, but it's silly fun. I did find the one "Lego" scene at the end kinda bizarre and weird, though.

I missed "50 Shades Darker" but I heard it was laughable.

Next week I'm screening "The Great Wall" and "Logan" and will post my thoughts.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Saw Hidden Figures. This is the movie that should win the Oscar. It was well acted, a good story and so 1960's.
Just saw this one. Really enjoyed it. Very interesting story but the characters were really enjoyable and while the topic over the civil rights aspect was upsetting, it was a very uplifting and celebratory movie.

PeterG

I watched Emma (1996) the other day. I hated it at first because I hated Emma. I only started liking the movie when everything started falling apart for Emma. I can't see how any viewer could feel differently. But I'm a sucker for romance and happy endings, so once she started showing humility and vulnerability, I forgave her and agreed to let her have a happy ending. And it so happened the screenwriter agreed with me! :lol: Are we supposed to hate Emma for the first half of the movie? Is so, Gwyneth Paltrow played the part perfectly. And she did bring me on to her side (barely). It was wonderful to see Jeremy Northam get so much screen time. Perfection in male beauty. He's a good actor, too. :p I'm kind of surprised that Colin Firth has had the better career. I think Northam is a better actor, is more handsome and...can sing (watch Gosford Park and see for your self). Toni Collette and Alan Cumming are plus-es casting-wise as well.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw two movies today. One in a theatre- Loving; thebother was on DVD- a Russian movie 'The Return'

Loving was ok to good. A bit too slow in parts. The good is the horror of those times and those decisions by the racist cops and courts. I was so scared for this couple. It lost me when it slowed down so much that not much was happening. Ruth Negga is very good, with a lot of subtleties in her performance.

' The Return' (language Russian, with English subtitles) was brilliant. The suspense was great. It does not directly give you the answers to 'why', 'where' etc. The audience has to guess it. That's where its brilliance is. It totally trusts the audience to figure it out.

It is hauntingly beautiful but it has a dark theme. The conflicting emotions of the three main characters are shown through great acting, particularly by the youngest actor. I was totally feeling the emotions of the characters. After it was over, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Not going to post any spoilers.

It was nominated for Best foreign language picture at the Golden Globes in 2003 or 2004. It didn't win but definitely deserving of the nomination. I don't remember which foreign language film won that year.

Last edited:

manhn

Jeremy Northam was at his most scrumptious in Emma. And Gwyneth was excellent, but I generally regard her very highly. Loved that movie. The kiss is sooooo good. And I loved the score. Too bad it never got caught on with skaters.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just found out the title of the Japanese movie I had liked a few years ago- The wind rises. It's an animated film, but I really enjoyed it. There are only a handful of animated films I have enjoyed.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw two movies today. One in a theatre- Loving; thebother was on DVD- a Russian movie 'The Return'

Loving was ok to good. A bit too slow in parts. The good is the horror of those times and those decisions by the racist cops and courts. I was so scared for this couple. It lost me when it slowed down so much that not much was happening. Ruth Negga is very good, with a lot of subtleties in her performance.

' The Return' (language Russian, with English subtitles) was brilliant. The suspense was great. It does not directly give you the answers to 'why', 'where' etc. The audience has to guess it. That's where its brilliance is. It totally trusts the audience to figure it out.

It is hauntingly beautiful but it has a dark theme. The conflicting emotions of the three main characters are shown through great acting, particularly by the youngest actor. I was totally feeling the emotions of the characters. After it was over, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Not going to post any spoilers.

It was nominated for Best foreign language picture at the Golden Globes in 2003 or 2004. It didn't win but definitely deserving of the nomination. I don't remember which foreign language film won that year.

Tonight I watched the extra material on the DVD for The Return. It was about making of the film. Toward the end they showed an interview of one of the two young actors - Volyada (Vladimir) Garin- who plays the older brother in the movie. Sadly just two months before the world premiere of the movie in Venice Volyada Garin drowned in a lake near St. Petersburg. He was just 14 years old. :(

Last edited:
We went to see La La Land tonight. I found it utterly charming and I really enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are certainly not the strongest vocalists but it didn't really matter. I'm not sure it quite deserves all the award nominations it's getting but I think it's also benefitting from good timing. It felt really good to take a break from the chaos of the world and just watch a nice movie.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Statistically family movies do better than R-rated movies at the box office so I wasn't surprised Lego Batman beat 50 Shades. I was still very happy.

I saw Lego Batman last night, it was good. Loads of fun and Batman had more emotional development in the 1:45 run time than he did in the entire Christopher Nolan trilogy. There's loads of callbacks to the previous Batman movies as well which are loads of fun:D. It was a good time:D.

moojja

Are we supposed to hate Emma for the first half of the movie? Is so, Gwyneth Paltrow played the part perfectly. And she did bring me on to her side (barely).

Emma is meant to be a spoiler brat. Jane Austin herself said she created a character only she can love.
I think she's the only Austin character that can afford to not married. It's harder to root for someone who will be alright in the end, no matter how the love affair goes. But both the novel and the movie made me care about her, in the end want her to be happy.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I watched an interesting doco last night called Audrie & Daisy. About rape of teenage girls while intoxicated but the issues with holding the boys who did it accountable and putting them through the legal process. It also dealt with the role of social media in these cases and the impact on the girl's mental well-being. Very well produced. Makes me concerned about the attitudes towards these crimes in the context of having a sexist pig now as President.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
"Emma" as played by GP, was exactly as I imagined her to be from the novel -- a spoiled, bored "poor little rich girl" who thought she knew best how to be a match maker for everyone but herself. I forgave the liberties the movie took (that ridiculous archery scene!) because JN was the best Mr. Knightley ever. :grope: Sophie Thompson was wonderful as poor Miss Bates and the cast also had Toni Colette, Alan Cumming, and Juliet Stevenson. I think Austen herself would have forgiven any cinematic liberties. ;)

PeterG

I watched an interesting doco last night called Audrie & Daisy. About rape of teenage girls while intoxicated but the issues with holding the boys who did it accountable and putting them through the legal process. It also dealt with the role of social media in these cases and the impact on the girl's mental well-being. Very well produced. Makes me concerned about the attitudes towards these crimes in the context of having a sexist pig now as President.

This sounds like an important movie to watch. I've added it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
"Emma" as played by GP, was exactly as I imagined her to be from the novel -- a spoiled, bored "poor little rich girl" who thought she knew best how to be a match maker for everyone but herself. I forgave the liberties the movie took (that ridiculous archery scene!) because JN was the best Mr. Knightley ever. :grope: Sophie Thompson was wonderful as poor Miss Bates and the cast also had Toni Colette, Alan Cumming, and Juliet Stevenson. I think Austen herself would have forgiven any cinematic liberties. ;)
I personally recommend the BBC mini-serie adaptation with Romola Garai. Beautifully produced letting the story unfold nicely being a 4 part serie. Jonny Lee Miller make for a fantastic Mr Knightley too. He's more stern than JN in the movie but very touching. There is a big age gap between Emma and Mr Knightley which is also more realistically portrayed in the serie IMO through the two main characters interactions often consisting of heated discussions.

Integrity

I personally recommend the BBC mini-serie adaptation with Romola Garai. Beautifully produced letting the story unfold nicely being a 4 part serie. Jonny Lee Miller make for a fantastic Mr Knightley too. He's more stern than JN in the movie but very touching. There is a big age gap between Emma and Mr Knightley which is also more realistically portrayed in the serie IMO through the two main characters interactions often consisting of heated discussions.

I thought she was a great Emma. And I loved the series - so good. Blake Ritson as "Mr. E" killed me.

Although I enjoy Toni Collette as an actress, I thought she was too old to play Harriet in the 1996 movie.

watchthis!!

I saw A Night To Remember a while back. Guess I forgot to post about it. ;-) As far as I know, it's the first big movie about the story of the Titanic and I was surprised how similar it was to the James Cameron version. I thought the James Cameron version was very loosely based on the true story, but his version was way more similar to A Night To Remember than I expected. Cameron just added the Leo/Kate love story. Anyway, A Night To Remember was good on it's own, the special effects were strong for a 1958 movie. Wikipedia says the movie didn't do well at the box office, which is unfortunate as it's worth seeing. Weird that it got no Oscar nods, but they didn't go for an overly dramatic telling of the story, but something more straight-forward. So maybe none of the performances stood out enough to warrant a specific honour for the acting categories. And there's no big names in the cast, David McCallum is the only one that stands out to me and I think this was probably an earlier role of his (plus his part was fairly small). I just looked farther down the cast list at imdb.com and farther down the list, here are some of the character names:

Stuffy Lady in Lifeboat
Older Sharp-Featured Woman with Black Curly Hair
Christening Lady
Drunk
Hysterical Man
Hysterical Woman
Minor Role
Man With Souvenir Piece of Ice
Engineer Being Crushed by Dynamo
Woman
Chief Clerk - Victualling Department

:lol:

Here's the trailer for A Night To Remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxl8a6cFzGw

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information