U.S. Ice Dance 2016/17 season - news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Good luck to all the GPF teams! Looking forward to a great weekend for US Ice Dance!
IN's GPF preview article on the Team USA skaters includes quotes from the Shibutanis, Chock, Bates, and Hubbell (scroll down): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/12/06/210443320

Michael Parsons shared this photo of himself with sister Rachel in sunny Marseille earlier today: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNrpfP2BOiy/?taken-by=michaelap95
Good luck to them, Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter and Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko in the JGPF!

Sylvia

TBD
"Sibling Strength And Shared Vision Make Shibutanis The Ultimate Team" By Lynn Rutherford: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/De...ared-Vision-Make-Shibutanis-The-Ultimate-Team
Excerpt:
Some differences do emerge. Alex likens his creative process to “splatter painting” and calls Maia good at fine-tuning his concepts, while also contributing her own thoughts.
“I try to get so many ideas out there and Maia is really good at focusing and communicating, because it can be overwhelming for our coaches sometimes,” Alex said. “That’s a great ability Maia brings to our dynamic.”
“I feel like Alex has so many great ideas,” Maia said. “I am able to hone in on what will work and how to get everyone on the same page to understand where we are coming from. We work with a lot of talented people, and we’re very lucky to have that, because we take from everyone. It still takes putting together.”

The 3 U.S. teams in Marseille at the official practice: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNt5jBngWhk/?taken-by=usfigureskating

The Wheaton junior dance teams (ETA correct link): https://www.instagram.com/p/BNtuxcaAtV5/

Carreira/Ponomarenko smile for a fan: https://twitter.com/michlmint/status/806473934187044864

Last edited:

justtojoke

How freaking awesome is it that the US represents HALF of the qualifiers for the GPF AND JGPF?! US Dance is deep and strong. I'm bitter that they don't get more coverage. That article is a good start.

Last edited:

firstflight

McNamara/Carpenter must not be satisfied with 3rd, especially the 3rd place ranking in the PCS. That was the risk staying another season as juniors *after* winning Junior Worlds.

Anyone have any idea yet whether the Wheaton coaches are indeed going to carry their teams into the senior ranks? I live a ten minute drive away from the rink, but decided it would be too stalker-ish to show up at the rink and try to talk to Alexei, Elena, or Dmytri.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
JGPF Free Dance videos:

GOLD - Parsons/Parsons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkNwz_J_gcA
1 P/P 95.59 46.39 49.20 8.21 8.04 8.21 8.29 8.25 0.00 #6

BRONZE - McNamara/Carpenter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXxP9k0vMIg
3 M/C 89.74 42.22 47.52 7.89 7.86 7.96 7.96 7.93 0.00 #4

4th - Carreira/Ponomarenko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nt7UKSdW5A
4 C/P 88.59 43.51 45.08 7.46 7.29 7.64 7.57 7.61 0.00 #3

1 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS
USA.GIF
USA 162.50 2 1
3 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER
USA.GIF
USA 153.47 3 3
4 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO
USA.GIF
USA 149.98 4 4

ETA today's Junior recap article by J-C Berlot: Parsons siblings dance their way to JGP Final gold

Last edited:

topaz

I think Madison and Zach need to look at another choreographer for their SD next season. I would like to see Rohene or Chris Dean's choregraphy on them.

Even though I am a huge fan of H/D, honestly I think they are the best US dance team now. They have caught up to the Shibs and they are better performers now.

I know I am in the minority, but I like C/B programs. They need to work on their speed alot but I think they have grown in their expression.

semogal

Hawayek/Baker took second at Golden Spin this weekend. Nationals is shaping up to be a nailbiter!
SD 70.12 (37.16+34.36)
FD 107.24 (54.74+52.50)

semogal

Why is it that US ID won 3 medals in France and this thread is already back to page two? No wonder NBC rarely shows dance, it is the Rodney Dangerfield of US Skating.:(

bwayrose7

Why is it that US ID won 3 medals in France and this thread is already back to page two? No wonder NBC rarely shows dance, it is the Rodney Dangerfield of US Skating.:(

This. I will never understand this. I assume it's because it's a "harder" discipline for laymen to follow (i.e. it's harder to notice edgework than it is to see if someone falls on a jump or not)? The old argument seemed to be that dancers weren't "stars" internationally like they try to shape singles skaters to be, but frankly, I find all four of the top dance teams more compelling as stars and entertainers than almost any of the singles skaters in the US currently.

Dobre

Why is it that US ID won 3 medals in France and this thread is already back to page two?

What on page 2?

I confess I've been hiding out a bit. I was too nervous heading into the GPF to want to get mired in the conspiracy theory discussions. And I think I'm still too emotionally invested to read the play-by-plays. After skipping umpteen pages in the Dance Hall, I'm not sure it's worth the time & energy of reading it to catch up. I glanced at it today, and it's off the rails at the moment. I may need to wait a few more days.

Also, the problem with having so many GREAT dance teams and such outstanding results is that we--as fans--are ridiculously hard to please. Here, the Shibs defeat Papadakis & Cizeron in the short dance, and I'm already disappointed with 111 in the free. LOL. (What I wouldn't have given for a bronze medal in a far less stacked GPF last season!) But I am thrilled for the Shibs skating so well at the GPF and showing such strides in the SD. I was happy to see Hubbell & Donahue skate so well. And while I wanted to throw something against the wall when McNamara & Carpenter mucked up the transition into their rotational lift right off the bat in their SD, I can give the Parsons their due for finding a style that works for them this season. And kudos to Hawayek & Baker for seriously challenging Guignard & Fabbri at Golden Spin. It was even closer than I anticipated.

I don't know how we are going to fit all these extraordinary teams onto the GP next season. They are all too good to sit home!

Last edited:

breathesgelatin

After the Junior Grand Prix final... what do the dance experts among us predict will happen in the Juniors competition at US Nationals? Will the Parsons prevail?

Can someone remind me, do both McNamara/Carpenter and Parsons/Parsons age out of juniors next year? I know I could look it up myself... haha

Jammers

Dear God what will this be about year 7 of both team skating as Juniors at Nationals? They really both should have moved up by now to Seniors especially the Parsons who are older then some Senior teams.

chameleonster

Yeah, I believe both teams first competed juniors nationally in 2012. They've certainly been around awhile, in stark contrast to Carreira/Ponomarenko. I'm not convinced this was a good strategy, but we'll see how they do next year. As for this nationals, Parsons do currently look like the safer bet, though M/C are the real wildcards of the juniors. They're fully capable of rallying after their disappointing first half of the season to defend their titles, they could maintain their messy but adequate performance behind Parsons, or they could even have a repeat of their second JGP performance and risk falling behind C/P. It's really too hard to predict.

semogal

Well the safe bet is that it will boil down to Parsons sibs vs. McNamara/Carpenter for the title. I will be crossing my fingers and toes hoping for a Parsons win. I love both of their programs and think this could be their year. But M/C are the reigning World Champs and defending US champs for a reason: they are talented and usually produce when the chips are down. I think they will be super motivated after the 3rd place finish at the final. Going to be intense in January!

dancergrl

I find it hard to get behind either P/P or M/C when there are exciting young teams currently at junior like C/P and even the Green's. Junior is supposed to be about the young talented teams and sport is supposed to be about challenge. it's boring to me to have teams stay at junior for so many years, easily winning the last three years. it's almost brought that level to a halt from a competition point of view. I'm not taking anything away from the talent of P/P or M/C but it has taken away the thrill of the junior level for me

Jun Y

M/C and P/P "easily winning" junior titles? Did I live in a different reality? I saw nothing easy in any of their seasons and any of their competition. But then I actually watched most of their competitions for several years.

As a person living in the same metropolitan area, I am amazed that they are even still training and have not gone off to some ivy league universities by now and quit skating altogether. The Washington DC area have produced very few world class skaters, not because they are no good or coaches are no good, but that almost everyone chooses elite education over skating career. Again and again I watch local kids with promise go off to Princeton and Stanford and MIT...

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I find it hard to get behind either P/P or M/C when there are exciting young teams currently at junior like C/P and even the Green's. Junior is supposed to be about the young talented teams and sport is supposed to be about challenge. it's boring to me to have teams stay at junior for so many years, easily winning the last three years. it's almost brought that level to a halt from a competition point of view. I'm not taking anything away from the talent of P/P or M/C but it has taken away the thrill of the junior level for me

It certainly feels like McNamara/Carpenter have been at the junior level forever. IIRC, they first competed as juniors when she was 11! So six years later, that's a long time. Of course, part of the reason that they've been juniors forever is they did not sandbag at all on the way up. McNamara/Carpenter never won a novice title or even a novice medal. The highest they climbed on the podium at intermediate and juvenile was to the pewter medal. Their coach hurried them to juniors.

Trying to earn a third national junior title is unprecedented, AFAIK (Aldridge/Eaton and Matthews/Zavozin both earned two in a row). On the other hand, moving up before aging out is very rare, too. And moving up into an American dance field with three teams in the top 6 at senior worlds--well, those are new conditions, too.

I don't think M/C gained what they intended by staying junior--losing to their teammates and the Russians at the JGP Final and watching as the Parsons become the favorite for the national title--but them's the breaks. For the Parsons, I can understand why they stayed junior since they hadn't won the gold at any of the biggest junior events.

I do agree with you that next year's junior event will feel more fresh and exciting, though I won't be surprised if Carreira/Ponomarenko dominate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information