Oscars 2016

snoopy

Different topic, but the focus is on the same population.

The population being black people? Being African-Americans? There have been many consecutive years in a row where the winners were movies focused on white people and even white Americans. But films about blacks can't win two years in a row?

I get the criticism that one can't vote for black people just because they're black in some wrong headed quota system. But the sentiment that blacks can't win two years in a row gets to the underlying racism that still exists. Because white people have set THEIR quota system and refuse to recognize it as such.

Last edited:

Xela M

The population being black people? Being African-Americans? There have been many consecutive years in a row where the winners were movies focused on white people and even white Americans. But films about blacks can't win two years in a row?

I get the criticism that one can't vote for black people just because they're black in some wrong headed quota system. But the sentiment that blacks can't win two years in a row gets to the underlying racism that still exists. Because white people have set THEIR quota system and refuse to recognize it as such.

I would have had no problem with Selma's leads being nominated, but it was a strong year for films/actors and the competition was tough so I don't think you could have justified it winning.

snoopy

I would have had no problem with Selma's leads being nominated, but it was a strong year for films/actors and the competition was tough so I don't think you could have justified it winning.

Just to be clear, I have no opinion on Selma winning anything or not. I'm objecting to logic that suggests two black films can't win in a row when two white films win consecutively all the time.

Jimena

Ultimately people focusing on the number of nominations is unhelpful. I think the nominations point out the bigger problems in the industry. To me, it's about what stories get told and who gets to be at the decision making table.

And may I just laugh at the suggestion that Selma and 12 Years a Slave are comparable. If you think the movies are kind of interchangeable because they're about black people, you're part of the problem.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
:wuzrobbed Horrible all around. :(

I haven't seen Selma yet, so I could be wrong, but isn't it about MLK and a civil rights march that took place in 1965? How can that be the same topic as a slavery experience in the 1800s?

They were two very different movies. Both true stories about black people but the similarity ends there.

It's of course not the same, but a similar topic. I would highly recommend 'Selma'. It's a good film

It was not a similar topic. Just because it's about black people doesn't mean the topic was similar. One was a very intense personal story. The other was about a leader motivating the masses and changing history.

Xela, forgive me but could your impressions be due to your lack of familiarity with the USA as a whole? I would have difficulty making judgments about a culture I am unfamiliar with.

VGThuy

Yeah, I really didn't get why Selma was being used in a way for some posters to say how overrated 12 Years a Slave was. Like its saying if the Academy gave it to one topical movie about the hardships of African Americans it should have been Selma. That's a quota system mentality if I ever heard one.

Xela M

They were two very different movies. Both true stories about black people but the similarity ends there.

It was not a similar topic. Just because it's about black people doesn't mean the topic was similar. One was a very intense personal story. The other was about a leader motivating the masses and changing history.

Xela, forgive me but could your impressions be due to your lack of familiarity with the USA as a whole? I would have difficulty making judgments about a culture I am unfamiliar with.

So because I'm not American I don't know the difference between the Civil Rights movement and slavery? That's a bit condescending :p We do learn history here in Europe you know. Anyway, I've worked in NYC before. From my personal point of view, there is more racism in Europe.

Anyway, Selma was nominated for Best Picture, but lost to a better film. No controversy there as far as I can see. The lead could have been nominated for best actor, but he wouldn't have won because Redmayne was too good.

Xela M

I've seen 'Creed'. Not impressed - just an ordinary film, but there is no way Sylvester Stallone deserved a nomination over Jacob's performance in 'Room'. Wtf is that about?! I don't even understand when people claim it's a body of work award for him. Why would Stallone deserve an Oscar for his 'body of work' :confused:

Japanfan

There have been many consecutive years in a row where the winners were movies focused on white people and even white Americans. But films about blacks can't win two years in a row?

I think the Oscars do have their own sort of quota system, which is not a fair system and exhibits various prejudices. For example, we often see an actor finally get an Oscar because it is 'their turn'.

But other things factor in as well, particularly how much energy film producers put int promoting their film to the academy. There are all sorts of politics at play.

ballettmaus

I don't think they are overreacting. No black actor/actress receiving an Oscar nomination for two years in a row is not an accident. One year can be considered an accident

And accident? Really? It could simply be that there was no actor/actress worth nominating and it could even happen two years in a row. There were years when I, personally, thought that none of the movies or actor/actresses who were nominated were Oscar worthy, but someone/something had to get nominated and win the thing :p

but two years in a row becomes a trend. When you consider the percentage of blacks/African Americans in the USA, this is glaring.

I'm not really sure you can consider the percentage of blacks/African Americans in the US. I think for that, you need to consider the percentage of black/African American actors.
I'd consider the percentage of blacks/African Americans when talking about the members of the Academy itself since they certainly aren't made up of what would represent the American population.

I think, as others have pointed out, the problem is not in the nominations itself, it's in the movies which are made and stories which are told. How many movies are there this year which feature blacks/minorities compared to movies which feature white actors? How many movies tell stories which are okay to tell with black/minority actors or even require black/minority actors compared to those movies which tell stories tailored to white actors?

That needs to change just like the members of the Academy needs to change and they need to change in all aspects, not just ethnically but age-wise, too. You need people of all races and all ages to represent the American population and have a truely fair judging panel.

That said, what bothers me the most is that there's always, always a huge outcry over the discrimination against black people. But where is the outcry against the discrimination against other ethnic minorities, against handicapped, against women? Women do get Oscar nominations because there's a separate category for that, yet if you look at Hollywood, then men seem to be the superior species, white men over black men, I'm sure but to be honest, after I just read that Gillian Anderson was offered half of Duchovny's salary for the X-Files revival, I wouldn't be surprised if even black men earned more than white women or were offered more salary in initial negotiations. Either way, Hollywood is one big island of discrimination and I would really appreciate it if people (the media) would stop painting blacks as the only victims (in Hollywood) because they are, by far, not the only ones.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Even with his skin bleaching Michael Jackson was black. No matter which actor plays him there'll be a lot of make-up that needs to be done.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think the Oscars do have their own sort of quota system, which is not a fair system and exhibits various prejudices. For example, we often see an actor finally get an Oscar because it is 'their turn'.

But other things factor in as well, particularly how much energy film producers put int promoting their film to the academy. There are all sorts of politics at play.

Unfortunately marketing plays a big role in who or what picture wins. I have often wondered if it was the same way in the 1930s or 1940s (and earlier)? May be in the very beginning they were merit based. After they became really big and more commercialized, politics, marketing, etc. came in. After all they all want to make more money - the bottom line.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So because I'm not American I don't know the difference between the Civil Rights movement and slavery? That's a bit condescending :p We do learn history here in Europe you know. Anyway, I've worked in NYC before. From my personal point of view, there is more racism in Europe.

Anyway, Selma was nominated for Best Picture, but lost to a better film. No controversy there as far as I can see. The lead could have been nominated for best actor, but he wouldn't have won because Redmayne was too good.

You lived in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world and claim to know all about black culture? Your comments indicate otherwise. It's not always necessary to actually live in or with a certain cultures. Some people study in that area and develop expertise. I doubt that's what you did in NYC. I am not black, but I have black friends and I still don't truly understand the culture (and I am American). I am not ashamed of admitting that I don't know everything, but that's OT.

Back to the movies. Selma and 12 years were very different movies. IMO both were very well made, and one was given the honors the other very limited honor in the nominations. It surprised many.

Tinami Amori

I keep in my movie collection and re-watch movies like “Imitation of Life”, “Black Orpheus”, “To Sir with Love”, “Harder they Come”, “Carmen Jones”, “Car Wash”, “Waiting to Exhale”, etc., not because someone “set quotas” for me on black subject movies or actors, or to prove I am not racist, or to “keep diversity”, but because I think they are great interesting movies.

The fact that the mentioned movies are sometimes stories about black characters or have “black characters” does not even crosses my mind or matters in my choices – if the movie is good, I will watch it. … and I DON’T NEED some PC form of “affirmative action” to guide my taste in arts or "quotas" on "black movies and actors". Make a good movie - and I will see it.

Japanfan

Even with his skin bleaching Michael Jackson was black. No matter which actor plays him there'll be a lot of make-up that needs to be done.

Adding all the cosmetic surgery to that, in my view didn't look black, or even white for that matter. No offense intended to his talent - I was not a fan, but know he was beloved to many - to me he looked like a freak.

The fact that the mentioned movies are sometimes stories about black characters or have “black characters” does not even crosses my mind or matters in my choices – if the movie is good, I will watch it. … and I DON’T NEED some PC form of “affirmative action” to guide my taste in arts or "quotas" on "black movies and actors". Make a good movie - and I will see it.

But when films intend to be realistic, it would be nice if they reflected reality in representing populations.

Which brings to mind one pet peeve of my, which is the over-representation of the middle/upper-middle class in films.

Lacey

I have seen all of the movies for
Best Picture
Best Actor
Best Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Directing
(except for Creed (which we might do tonight) and Mad Max)

The Danish Girl should have been nominated for Best Picture; and perhaps should have won.

The Hateful Eight might have been one of the worst movies I have ever seen, although it is just up for supporting actress, but it is hard to see her performance through this cloud.

Some have indicated that it is Leonardo DiCaprio's "year" and that he will win for The Revenant--I feel instead that Eddie Redmayne should win for The Danish Girl.

I agree with whoever said Alician Vikander should have been nominated as Best Actress and not Best Supporting Actress for The Danish Girl. Her role was huge.

I feel Jennifer Lawrence's acting in Joy was common.

Rooney Mara did a much better, stronger and fuller acting job than Cate Blanchett (both in Carol) and should have been nominated for Best Actress and not Cate--not sure there have ever been two Best Actresses from the same movie, perhaps Cate could have been the supporting).

Jacob Tremblay should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor; and could have won. His acting as a young child in Room reminded me of Drew Barrymore in ET, absolutely so innocent and clear it was magical.

Last edited:

BigB08822

I haven't seen Room but it seems every person who has seen it agrees that Jacob Tremblay deserved an Oscar nomination. I am really upset he didn't get one. I am confident it was for two reasons. 1) His age 2) Nominating him would mean nominating a complete unknown and being forced to leave out a big name who the audience would perhaps tune in for and the Oscars could use for advertising purposes.

MsZem

I see the sea
I haven't seen Room but it seems every person who has seen it agrees that Jacob Tremblay deserved an Oscar nomination. I am really upset he didn't get one. I am confident it was for two reasons. 1) His age 2) Nominating him would mean nominating a complete unknown and being forced to leave out a big name who the audience would perhaps tune in for and the Oscars could use for advertising purposes.
I doubt it - child actors, including relative unknowns, have certainly been nominated and even won in the past. The most recent example is Quvenzhané Wallis, who was nominated in the best actress category three years ago; Beasts of the Southern Wild had been her film debut.

I have heard that Jacob Tremblay was excellent in Room, but sometimes really strong performances do get overlooked.

Cachoo

I wish they would have a youth-based performance Oscar that, like the animation award, can vary from year to year on nominations. One year you might have five wonderful performances but the next maybe three.
And perhaps no nominations in other years. I know this year, from what I read, "Room" and "Beasts of No Nation" had powerful performances by children.

Artemis@BC

ITA for a young actor category. I watched Infinitely Polar Bear last night and thought Imogene Wolodarsky, who played the older sister, could easily be added to the nominations list. As could Emelia Jones, who played the oldest daughter in What We Did on Our Holiday.

Of course that category could have been overloaded during the Harry Potter years!

Artemis@BC

Speaking of Infinitely Polar Bear, it's been an excellent year for Mark Ruffalo. He got the Oscar nomination for Spotlight, but could just as easily have gotten a nomination for Polar Bear in the lead category.

Lacey

I forgot to say above, but I think Jacob Tremblay from Room did win at one of this winter's previous award shows, like Golden Globes. He gave an amazingly poised acceptance speech about putting it next to his Little League Trophies.

screech

Jacob Tremblay won a young actor award at the Critics Choice.

In the past, there used to be a youth Oscar (Judy Garland won one for Wizard of Oz). It would be great, but separating youths and adults would in a way undermine the great performances of the young. Unless they were to double dip the deserving (like when an animated feature also gets nominated for best picture).

leesaleesa

I'm just pissed that "Extreme anal Acrobats" was snubbed. A movie powerful enough to make a jaded extreme cinephile such as myself curl up In a ball in a corner and puke and cry like a little baby is surely worthy.

Johnny Depp annoys me to no end, but he became Whitey Bulger so convincingly that I felt I was right in the movie with him. Amazingly good cast all around, great art direction.

I despised The Angry Eight more than Irreversible even, but the lighting and camera work were outstanding. Not as good, IMO, as Sicario. Benicio Del Toro was quite excellent, but I suppose not nominated. Cinematography in this film was spectacular.

caseyedwards

ITA for a young actor category. I watched Infinitely Polar Bear last night and thought Imogene Wolodarsky, who played the older sister, could easily be added to the nominations list. As could Emelia Jones, who played the oldest daughter in What We Did on Our Holiday.

Of course that category could have been overloaded during the Harry Potter years!

In 2001 Dakota fanning likely would have won just like she did the broadcast film critics youth award.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information