Worlds Exhibition, live on Peacock today at 2pm est

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
No idea what I just saw. I figured since they were invited they must have some spectacular exhibition.

Also, with the prize money they won this year, I think he can get the tooth situation fixed.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
I really can't believe that they left the La/La's out of this gala but have 4 retired Canadian men skating? I get it Canada your proud of your men's history but do we need to see another Elvis program? I can see why they would get Patrick and perhaps one more Canadian great but a gala is supposed to be about the skaters who made these Worlds memorable and 4 retired men's skaters is way too much.

It is possible that La/La are still being careful with Marjorie's concussion recovery and don't want to aggravate any lingering effects.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So, uhm... Where are the folks who were b*tching last night (and at other points in the season) about Lukas Britschgi's African program? Does Elladj have any more of a personal connection to Africa than Lukas? If so, is that just because of he's black? Generationally, how far back are the African ancestors for him? Lovely program but I'm gonna guess that no one here will question whether or not it's cultural appropriation the way they did Lukas last night... :shuffle:

tony

So, uhm... Where are the folks who were b*tching last night (and at other points in the season) about Lukas Britschgi's African program? Does Elladj have any more of a personal connection to Africa than Lukas? If so, is that just because of he's black? Generationally, how far back are the African ancestors for him? Lovely program but I'm gonna guess that no one here will question whether or not it's cultural appropriation the way they did Lukas last night... :shuffle:
His dad is from Guinea, so yeah. This post is just really weird.

quartz

scratching at the light
his father is from west Africa I believe

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
His dad is from Guinea, so yeah. This post is just really weird.
Fair enough. I didn't know that. And, no, the post isn't weird. There were people questioning the appropriateness of Lukas' program despite the background Lukas himself provided about the program concept and it was perfectly valid and respectful.

I don't know anything about Elladj apart from him being a big social media influencer/star. I can appreciate his program as a lovely, heartfelt tribute to his culture. I just find most of the posts questioning any skater/team's music choices on the grounds of cultural appropriation to be political correctness gone off the deep end.

kemc

Was that Les Supremes’ competitive program? The content was jam packed and really showcased synchro skating.

I Luv Bulldogs

I really can't believe that they left the La/La's out of this gala but have 4 retired Canadian men skating? I get it Canada your proud of your men's history but do we need to see another Elvis program? I can see why they would get Patrick and perhaps one more Canadian great but a gala is supposed to be about the skaters who made these Worlds memorable and 4 retired men's skaters is way too much.
I'm only sad about LaLa as they performed well. The others ehh.

tony

Fair enough. I didn't know that. And, no, the post isn't weird. There were people questioning the appropriateness of Lukas' program despite the background Lukas himself provided about the program concept and it was perfectly valid and respectful.

I don't know anything about Elladj apart from him being a big social media influencer/star. I can appreciate his program as a lovely, heartfelt tribute to his culture. I just find most of the posts questioning any skater/team's music choices on the grounds of cultural appropriation to be political correctness gone off the deep end.
It's weird because you could've just looked it up rather than question if people were going to just look the other way because he's Black and include the :shuffle: , but that's just my opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, this is a happy and fun exhibition

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

Like you said Lukas was respectful and he brought something that otherwise wouldn't have been there.

I think the OTT claims of cultural appropriation are starting to die away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information