Who Do You Think Will Opt Out of Worlds?

olympic

Based on B&S's reaction at the end of their FD, it felt like a goodbye. However, considering how badly Russia needs them to secure spots for next year, i think they will go to worlds.

I was just getting ready to post this. The end of their FD was very personal and dramatic. I assumed that they were done. S/B and Z/G could easily secure 2 spots. Then again with V/M and possibly Shibs out, the Russian Fed might see an opening for 3 spots and persuade B/S to go

Speaking of Ice Dance, I assume that C/L are done. She caressed the ice in a very ceremonious way at the end of the FD. Then again, they may want to compete in their home country for Worlds

olympic

As of today, confirmed as NOT going to Milan based on published articles and/or reliable sources:

MEN
Fernandez
Chan

PAIRS
Duhamel/Radford

DANCE
Virtue/Moir

ETA:

Men dealing with injury so may or may not go to Worlds (not yet confirmed or known):
Hanyu
Ge
Ten

Reportedly planning to retire but not sure if it will be before or after Worlds:
Bychenko
Brezina

@Sylvia I could swear I saw a Japanese article stating that Yuzu would not be at Worlds. It is the article where he states perhaps jokingly that he wants to stay in to complete a 4A and Orser rolled his eyes.

It was noted during the NBC telecast that the Olympics would be his final competition for Brezina but were you looking for written confirmation?

Sylvia

TBD
@Sylvia I could swear I saw a Japanese article stating that Yuzu would not be at Worlds.
I'm going by this tweet (based on a Feb. 19th article in Japanese): https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/965665166225559552
Regarding #Worlds2018, #BrianOrser says nothing has been made clear yet as 'there is till 1 month until this competition. I'd like to give him enough time to think.'" #YuzuruHanyu
---
It was noted during the NBC telecast that the Olympics would be his final competition for Brezina but were you looking for written confirmation?
Yes.

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

@Sylvia I could swear I saw a Japanese article stating that Yuzu would not be at Worlds. It is the article where he states perhaps jokingly that he wants to stay in to complete a 4A and Orser rolled his eyes.

It is not official, though unlikely. And Hanyu does not joke about 4A...

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Nick McCarvel tweeted:

Virtue/Moir: Won't be at Worlds, "but we're gonna take 2 minutes on 'R' word," Scott says about retirement Papadakis/Cizeron: "Yes we'll be there" Shibutanis: Right now, unsure if they'll go to Milan or not #PyeongChang2018
Jackie Wong had already tweeted:

Papadakis/Cizeron: Thanks for reminding us that we aren't done w the season yet. We will be at Worlds & we won't be retiring. Shibutanis: We don't know. The plan is to go to Worlds. It's been the most amazing, ridiculous 48 hours of my life. We'd love to be there #PyeongChang2018
Savchenko/Szolkowy said right after Sochi that they weren't going to Worlds, but then changed their minds and won their last title. So I think there may be some skaters and teams who change their minds in either direction.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
The Shibs seems masters of trying turn their achievements into profits - I do not begrudge them, they know they have to build a brand if they want any sort of money when their career is over, and that if they want to maximize their earnings the time is now. I think they (and/or their manager) are very, very smart.

I can see them skipping worlds if they get the right kind of opportunities.

Cleo1782

He did finish 5th at 89 and 90 Worlds with Kristi :)

I think they would have medaled in 1991, as they were consistently beating Kuchinki/Sand who got the bronze that year...Off topic, but did the USFS or Rudi ever try out with any other pair girls or have any desire to continue pairs after Kristi? I know he was on the small side, but I am sure there was someone out there for him.

Debbie S

I think they would have medaled in 1991, as they were consistently beating Kuchinki/Sand who got the bronze that year...Off topic, but did the USFS or Rudi ever try out with any other pair girls or have any desire to continue pairs after Kristi? I know he was on the small side, but I am sure there was someone out there for him.
Rudy said several times in interviews after he won Nats that he didn't think he could find a partner as good as Kristi so decided he could have more success if he returned to singles.

C

casken

As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually hoping as many medalists opt out as possible.

One of the things I like about post-Olympic worlds is that skaters who didn't skate well at the Olympics, or maybe didn't even make the team, get to have a second chance to finish their season, or even their career on high note.

There's also generally a much more upbeat and positive atmosphere to them, now that the ugliness of the Olympics is over.

Spun Silver

As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually hoping as many medalists opt out as possible.

One of the things I like about post-Olympic worlds is that skaters who didn't skate well at the Olympics, or maybe didn't even make the team, get to have a second chance to finish their season, or even their career on high note.

There's also generally a much more upbeat and positive atmosphere to them, now that the ugliness of the Olympics is over.
I've never thought of the Olympics as ugly.... and also, to me, the value of a medal when so many top contenders are absent is much diminished. Post-Olympic Worlds are the least interesting to me. Oh well. Different perspectives.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

aml78

The Shibs seems masters of trying turn their achievements into profits - I do not begrudge them, they know they have to build a brand if they want any sort of money when their career is over, and that if they want to maximize their earnings the time is now. I think they (and/or their manager) are very, very smart.

I can see them skipping worlds if they get the right kind of opportunities.

Also they need adequate training time so if they feel like they can’t maximize their opportunities and get in the training, then they will probably skip. The reality is this is their “job”. They have to fund their training and take the money where they can. I would also guess that with all of their sponsorships, they have certain contractual obligations as a result of them medaling.

berthesghost

true, except when the opposite happens. When the medalists all go to worlds and the Annette vs Linda or Kat vs Liz vs Debi drama is all warmed up and served like turkey on the sat after thanksgiving, it’s somehow all the more dreadful. And really, how better to follow the 3 ring circus of Tonya vs Nancy than with Surya’s :eek:tantrum in Chiba

C

casken

true, except when the opposite happens. When the medalists all go to worlds and the Annette vs Linda or Kat vs Liz vs Debi drama is all warmed up and served like turkey on the sat after thanksgiving, it’s somehow all the more dreadful. And really, how better to follow the 3 ring circus of Tonya vs Nancy than with Surya’s :eek:tantrum in Chiba

That's why I said I prefer it if most of the medalists skip it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 1998 worlds were Butyrskaya's bronze pushed her to stay on and then win in 1999, Kwiatkowski getting a good skate in her home country to end her career on, Hubert balancing out her nightmare Olympics with a top 4 finish, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

midori

Re-posting from earlier in this thread:

ETA - Javier Fernández: "I'm not going to the World Championships": http://www.marca.com/juegos-olimpicos-invierno/2018/02/20/5a8c4ea3268e3ee6118b45b7.html
Not only this world championships but any world championships in future.

Another article quoting Javi:
https://as.com/masdeporte/2018/02/20/juegosolimpicos/1519164594_048563.amp.html
I will not make other Games, or more World Cups, not even this one in 2018, some European maybe
He can change his mind any time though!

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
In my perfect world Savchenko/Massot will go to the worlds, lose to Stolbova/Klimov who will become world champions and retire, Savchenko/Massot would stick aroudn for another year, have the most amazing programmes, win all the GP and Euros and retire before the Worlds, because the rumour would have it that Tarasova/Morozov will finally decide they deserve worthy programmes, change the programmes before the worlds from the sh@t they are usually skating to something amazing and have the most memorable fight for the gold with Sui/Han
I doubt that scenario would ever happen, because duuuh, Tarasova/Morozov's LP is a `masterpiece', Stolbova `can land her jumps' and I already got my dream podium at the Olympics :)

aml78

Looks like W/P are in for Worlds and aren’t calling it a career quite yet :)

“Poje, 30, says the pair will take it “year by year” in terms of deciding their future in the sport but will look forward to the world championships, which take place in Milan in March

“We need a little vacation after that,” he said.”

mjb52

I hope Tarasova/Morozov medal at worlds bc now that I've finally seen it I find the hysteria over their program absolutely mind-blowing and overstated and indicative of what a conservative sport skating still can be.

(and it's not just bc of my general love of Russian skating - I am sad for Stepanova/Bukin not getting to go to the Olympics but omg the vocals on their program are not good)

Willin

@Michalle Most of the backlash has nothing to do with conservatism. Meagan Duhamel - who's skated to Muse, U2, and Adelle hated it. Moulin Rouge - a fairly recent movie is a popular choice with audiences and judges - including the choice of the Ice Dance champions. The Shibs' Fix you was highly lauded. Nathan Chen's SP to Benjamin Clementine was praised as innovative and fresh. North Korea's team skated to The Beatles. the Knirems did a Metallica program. Savcheko and Massot skated to "That Man." The ISU even embraced and encoded into the rules a Hip Hop short dance. This is hardly a conservative sport in that respect and fans are hardly conservative about music choices.

Why people were criticizing their Free Program was three reasons:
1. Tarasova's polka dots have been seen 100 times before in skating - but 99/100 times it was on an 8-year-old.
2. They are so much better than this. Their SP was lovely and previous programs have been great.
2. No one wants to hear music about "panties dropping" or "cherries popping" in an Olympic Free Skate. If they really wanted to do Christina Aguilera for the Olympics, maybe they could've done it for the SP. Aljona and Bruno did a similar retro-themed fun song for their SP and no one had an issue (then again it wasn't as overtly sexual and the costumes were better). Alternately, they could've chosen one of her ballads. Hurt, Bound to You from Burlesque, or Say Something might have worked. Maybe they could've used one of her live covers of another song as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information