Who Do You Think Will Opt Out of Worlds?

Carolla5501

He actually said he was washing his hands of fugure skating? I find that impossible.

Why? Seriously you seem determined to make an issue of something that's not an issue LOL! It's possible he said it and it's possible it's not the "drama" you seem to want it to be.

aemeraldrainc

Anyone have a link where Javi said about washing his hands of skating?
I think it might come across as more than he intended it to mean. Lost in translation or something.

Sylvia

TBD
I think it might come across as more than he intended it to mean. Lost in translation or something.
Post #84. No need to read too much into his comment at the medalists' presser.

There's another article out there in Spanish that says Javi will not do the Olympics again and will not do full seasons. He will keep competing.
I've posted that article and others in Spanish in Fernandez's news thread earlier today: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...elo-a-don-quixote-on-ice.101708/#post-5302270

aftershocks

Banned Member
Savchenko and Massot

Aliona said in a press conference that they will be at Worlds.

I think Patrick is done. I wonder if Javi will continue.

Patrick is definitely done. We knew that during the GP, when he finally accepted he wasn't going to be able to keep up with the quad race and his chances for the Olympic podium were not good. He'd have to go clean to even have a longshot at making bronze. Patrick's focus became shooting for the gold in the team competition, with the help of his teammates.

Javi may not end up going to Worlds either. Having fallen off the Worlds podium last season, and with all the quadsters coming up, Javi is just happy to have reached his goal of getting on the Olympic podium. According to Canadian coach, Doug Haw, in the latest TSL recap, Javi was happy with any color Olympic medal. And of course Hanyu was focused on the gold.

Last edited:

mag

^^ Do you mean to reference D/R or S/H?

Sorry! Darn initials. Basically what I was trying to say is that I can completely understand Massot wanting a world title and that with D&R not going to Worlds, that cuts the competition down by a third. Thinking about it now, that really doesn’t sound right. I have no doubt that S&M are up for any and all competition so just forget it all ... long day and I am rambling :D

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I wonder whether W/P and B/S are going. Both teams could have a shot at the podium and their respective countries need them to try to get 3 spots.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I can certainly see how Massot would want to add World Champion to his Olympic Champion! They might as well go. With no D&H the path is even clearer.

I thought Sui and Han would want to defend their world title, particularly after losing the OGM by such a narrow margin.

Who are D&H? If you meant D&R, i don't think they were a threat to S&M.

If you meant S&H, did they announce that they wont go to worlds?

I am confused.

mag

I thought Sui and Han would want to defend their world title, particularly after losing the OGM by such a narrow margin.

Who are D&H? If you meant D&R, i don't think they were a threat to S&M.

I am confused.

I clarified my post when @aftershocks pointed out my error with the initials, but seeing as you mentioned it, D&R are most definitely a threat to S&M. It is moot because D&R are not going to Worlds, but just because some fans may not like D&R’s style, does not mean other skaters don’t appreciate them and realize that they are formidable competitors. They are two time World Champions and three time Olympic Medalists, I have no doubt Bruno and Aliona have the greatest respect for them as skaters, competitors, and people.

Bellanca

I agree that Javier’s (now infamous) remark about washing his hands of figure skating is to be taken with a grain of salt. But, suppose he does? I certainly will not begrudge or hold it against him if he should decide to move on and seek out other opportunities or go in a completely different direction with his life.

Who are fans or people involved directly or indirectly in the sport to demand Javier stick around for Spain or to give back to the sport as if it is a requirement. We’ve had notable skaters, once they’ve retired, take a pass on direct involvement in the sport in the very recent past.

^* Just to clarify, Javier hasn’t seriously mentioned the “R” word, yet - but when he does…

And, who hasn’t (probably) said in their own way or thought on occasion that they would like to wash their hands of this sport? Heck, I have numerous times and know a few former competitors and coaches who have become equally disenchanted with the sport, its politics, the ever-present and manipulative media coordinating skaters or teams to gold when it is never that clear-cut only to see the judges do the same thing.

‘Backroom deals,’ and as mentioned – politics, burnout, piles of predictable bullsh!t, required quads aplenty to now succeed, etc. etc. All these things could indeed be a good reason why a skater or a fan may want to take a permanent vacation from it all. Having said this, I don’t, IMHO, think that is where Javier is coming from, but on the remote chance that he is, well … it’s his choice.

Javier has provided more than enough thrills and chills over the years that he has earned his own next move.

caseyedwards

I wonder whether W/P and B/S are going. Both teams could have a shot at the podium and their respective countries need them to try to get 3 spots.
But it’s very possible b/s don’t get a medal and don’t get 3 spots. They could go to worlds with z/g. Coaches of Bukin are concerned about his desire to skate.

Sylvia

TBD
Looks official now: https://twitter.com/Hieloespanol/status/965993882285674496
Ya es oficial @javierfernandez no competirá en el mundial. Se plantea seguir en la élite pero no temporadas enteras. Posiblemente algún europeo más

Translated from Spanish:

It's official @javierfernandez not competing in the World Cup. It is planned to remain in the elite but not whole seasons. Possibly some European more

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I clarified my post when @aftershocks pointed out my error with the initials, but seeing as you mentioned it, D&R are most definitely a threat to S&M. It is moot because D&R are not going to Worlds, but just because some fans may not like D&R’s style, does not mean other skaters don’t appreciate them and realize that they are formidable competitors. They are two time World Champions and three time Olympic Medalists, I have no doubt Bruno and Aliona have the greatest respect for them as skaters, competitors, and people.

You sound offended that i didnt consider D&R a threat to S&M. Based on how both have skated this season, i think S&M have made great progress, while D&R are somewhat on a downward trend. It is not about who respects who (skaters do appreciate each other), but rather how is someone skating right now.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Based on B&S's reaction at the end of their FD, it felt like a goodbye. However, considering how badly Russia needs them to secure spots for next year, i think they will go to worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Do we know has has confirmed they will not be going?
As of today, confirmed as NOT going to Milan based on published articles and/or reliable sources:

MEN
Fernandez [eta: source link]
Chan

PAIRS
Duhamel/Radford

DANCE
Virtue/Moir

ETA:

Men dealing with injury so may or may not go to Worlds (not yet confirmed or known):
Hanyu
Ge
Ten

Reportedly planning to retire but not sure if it will be before or after Worlds:
Bychenko
Brezina

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think Yuzuru said he is not going to worlds this year. Makes sense, given his injury.

aml78

I would assume Adam would bow out. He is ready to pursue other opportunities and an opportunity for a medal seems slim. I can definitely see him on DWTS.

shirokjj

Yes, they did but some of them actually didn't make senior debut that same year. So they had senior experience before the season during which they went to worlds and medalled. For instance, Evan went to 2 4ccs before even the season when he went to worlds. Machida was a senior veteran by the time he got sent. Yagudin did Euros the year before. Plushy had a full grp season the year before. Only Gachinski is considered "newbie senior" (though he went to some sr bs the season before) the year he went to worlds and medalled.

Hanyu turned senior when he was 15 and won his world medal the season after when he made his first worlds appearance.

The 3 men who dominated the last 8 years most likely won't be there so the mens podium will be the start of the "new age" I guess. The ladies, I don't see any of the top contenders skipping.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Some of my hypotheses; not all inclusive. If someone has already made a contradictory pronouncement of which I was not aware then mea culpa. If I missed a similar thread, then mea culpa again.

Pairs

- Savchenko and Massot
- Duhamel and Radford

Dance

- Virtue and Moir

Ladies

- TBD

Men

- Hanyu
- Rippon

Please provide your thoughts. Thx

I just noticed that this thread us in the GSD forum. Perhaps it should be in the Trash can. There is no real news here, just hypotheses and guess work.

Carolla5501

I just noticed that this thread us in the GSD forum. Perhaps it should be in the Trash can. There is no real news here, just hypotheses and guess work.

Actually there's a lot more news here than other threads on here. If you only allow "facts" most of the posts in FSU should be in the trash can. But here we have several skaters who have said "done" so that's a fact not hypotheses or guess work.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !

I am confused.
They said they would attend World at the press conference after the LP. Should be another amazing battle with S/M. I would guess T/M would want to redeem themselves too. But did they say they would go ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information