Who Do You Think Will Opt Out of Worlds?

sk9tingfan

Some of my hypotheses; not all inclusive. If someone has already made a contradictory pronouncement of which I was not aware then mea culpa. If I missed a similar thread, then mea culpa again.

Pairs

- Savchenko and Massot
- Duhamel and Radford

Dance

- Virtue and Moir

Ladies

- TBD

Men

- Hanyu
- Rippon

Please provide your thoughts. Thx

Rock2

Has Adam announced anything? I would assume if opportunities come his way following the Olympics he probably wouldn't pass them up if they are good.

Chan I believe is done.
I wonder if Javi will continue. With two world titles and a great skate to win bronze in Korea, not sure what else he wants to skate for...?

screech

Though it isn't an official confirmation - not with the exact words direct from him, it appears that Patrick isn't going.
He won’t be going to worlds in Milan next month, his choice. What’s the point?

In his own mind, Chan was already halfway out the door before the free skate session began. Feeling oddly positive about everything. “I felt light. I just had a little skip in my step. Had a great sleep. Woke up early but had the motivation and came on the ice, felt confident. I wanted to be here. There was a sense of excitement. Maybe that was knowing that this is it. I’ve worked really hard to get to this point and I survived.

“I kind of made a decision as I stepped on the ice and stepped away from the boards and took my spot. I took a breath: This is for me.”

Also, hasn't Denis Ten sort of, but not quite officially said he's retired?

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Has Adam officially announced? (Not real surprised either way)

Misha Ge? For some reason I thought I read this was it for him too.

Sylvia

TBD
No, Adam has yet to say anything officially about Worlds but at this point I would not be surprised at all if he decides to pass with all the new opportunities opening up to him.

Ditto for Misha Ge (who has been pushing through injury this season AFAIK).

ETA: Alexei Bychenko and/or Michal Brezina?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Fernandez has been World Champion, so it's not a last chance, a la Cohen and Rochette in 2006, nor is it a chance for a first real attempt, with a clearer field.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think Adam has dropped a few hints in the last day or so that he wasn't sure if he would go to Worlds, and now that NBC has hired him as a correspondent for the rest of the Olympics, I suspect that the only way he will wind up in Milan is on the interviewer's side of the mic. Maybe they'll replace Andrea Joyce with him.

BaileyCatts

Well then DWTS just needs to adjust their premiere date so Adam and Mirai can do Worlds and then DWTS. Because, you know ...... its all about me getting what I want, which is I want them at Worlds (and they would be great on DWTS), so they just need to push the start date to April so I get what I want. :rofl: :p

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Well it's all about getting what *I* want:biggrinbo

And I would love to see Jason at Worlds. So Adam could do DWTS and practice practice practice for that. Win-Win.:)

(Plus, Adam could go on DWTS and do Northeastern Pennsylvania proud. The last openly gay contestant from this neck of the woods, Carson Kressley, was a hoot, but not the world's greatest dancer. Unlike Adam, Carson actually *was* from the "middle of nowhere", NE Penna style;))

attyfan

I thought it was mentioned that Javi was trying to increase Spain's interest in figure skating. If so, he might want to go to Milan to get spaces for next year's crop of men -- having those open places might be encouraging (at least for the men).

carriecmu0503

Savchenko/Massot said in the press conference following the Pairs Free Skate that they would be going to the World Championships.

My guess is Bruno would really want to go to try to win a world title, as that is an event he has never won. I am sure he would love to add the title of "world champion" to his new "olympic champion" title!

Debbie S

ETA: Alexei Bychenko and/or Michal Brezina?
I hope Bychenko goes to Worlds to help Israel get 2 spots for next year (then again, do they another skater, in addition to Samohin, who could use it?).

I could easily see Adam being on the next 'all athletes' season of Dancing with the Stars (Mirai has already expressed her interest). Depending on when it premieres- no date has been set yet, that could affect Worlds.
Were they already asked about this in a press conference, lol? I think Adam would be great, not sure if Mirai has the personality for it but who knows. I think some of the ice dancers would be a good fit for the show, too...but in all likelihood, they will only have 1 figure skater, maybe 3 or 4 other Winter Olympians (Chloe Kim? Mikaela Shiffrin? Shaun White?) and the rest from NBA, NFL, etc (most likely no MLB, unless retired, since it is in the middle of their season, and probably no one from NBA or NHL playoff teams). If it's all Winter Olympians, I could see them having multiple skaters.

But as Sylvia noted, DWTS is a shorter season this spring so it won't overlap with Worlds.

screech

Were they already asked about this in a press conference, lol? I think Adam would be great, not sure if Mirai has the personality for it but who knows. I think some of the ice dancers would be a good fit for the show, too...but in all likelihood, they will only have 1 figure skater, maybe 3 or 4 other Winter Olympians (Chloe Kim? Mikaela Shiffrin? Shaun White?) and the rest from NBA, NFL, etc (most likely no MLB, unless retired, since it is in the middle of their season, and probably no one from NBA or NHL playoff teams). If it's all Winter Olympians, I could see them having multiple skaters.
Mirai is hoping it's her personality that gets her in to DWTS, ideally paired with Mark Ballas.
I think there are so many figure skating personalities for them to choose from. Mirai is the only one who has outright expressed her interest so far, but I could absolutely see them approaching Adam, if only for the sound bites. They'd probably go after Virtue and Moir, but I don't think they'd accept. I could see them approaching Johnny and Tara too. I bet they would have gone for Ashley, but she's probably not at the top of their list anymore, since she missed the team. Maybe the ShibSibs too, especially if they medal.

We need an all figure skating season!!

Debbie S

Mirai is hoping it's her personality that gets her in to DWTS, ideally paired with Mark Ballas.
:)

I noticed that she said her parents would be paying $750/night for a hotel room at the Olys, with prices gouged due to the event. So skaters' and USFS expense estimates may not have been far off after all.

I doubt V/M would be asked to do DWTS, since it is a U.S. show. Yes, they have many American fans but I would be surprised if any of the current Olympians were not from the U.S. Johnny and Tara might be good for a regular DWTS season, but I imagine an "athletes" season means current athletes.

D

Deleted member 19433

I hope Bychenko goes to Worlds to help Israel get 2 spots for next year (then again, do they another skater, in addition to Samohin, who could use it?).

Mark Gorodnitsky was very close to having the required Worlds TES this season (32.02 / 63.60 vs. 34 / 64) so if he improves just a little bit, he could use a second spot next year.

chapis

I think there are so many figure skating personalities for them to choose from. Mirai is the only one who has outright expressed her interest so far, but I could absolutely see them approaching Adam, if only for the sound bites. They'd probably go after Virtue and Moir, but I don't think they'd accept. I could see them approaching Johnny and Tara too. I bet they would have gone for Ashley, but she's probably not at the top of their list anymore, since she missed the team. Maybe the ShibSibs too, especially if they medal.

We need an all figure skating season!!

I hate that kind of shows but I would love to watch Mirai dancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information