UPDATED: OMFG . . . Adam Rippon, Tonya Harding and Mirai Nagasu are on the DWTS' all-athlete cast

Inessence

Well, I say this as a fan of her skating. I definitely don't think she looked ok in those fluff pieces. Her entire demeanor was just so different than how she usually looked and acted. I remember being concerned at the time because she just didn't look well to me. :(

I think that coincided with her getting ready to be divorced from Gillooly. I think the gun incident (seen in I, Tonya) and being called out by The Oregonian newspaper for smoking happened early that year.

Inessence

Who did that? Where?

If you are posting in response to comments made here, I think it is reasonable to post in response to things that are actually said here.

Who is Team Tonya? Who is Team Nancy? And what does any of it have to do with anything?

To what end? What purpose (other than being a logical fallacy) does this serve?

It means, any anti-Nancy sentiments expressed here do not necessarily equal “she deserved the Whack”. If nothing more, they are knee-jerk responses to anti-Tonya opinions that border on the extreme (e.g., comparing her to OJ or Manson.) Or the constant Nancy = Good, Tonya = Bad media narrative we’re often spoonfed.

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
IIf nothing more, they are knee-jerk responses to anti-Tonya opinions that border on the extreme (e.g., comparing her to OJ or Manson.) Or the constant Nancy = Good, Tonya = Bad media narrative we’re often spoonfed.

Trashing Nancy does nothing at all to defend Tonya. Tonya is what she is; love it, hate it, whatever, it does absolutely nothing for Tonya to trash Nancy. Tonya does not look better if Nancy somehow looks worse, so again--what is the point?

bardtoob

Trashing Nancy does nothing at all to defend Tonya. Tonya is what she is; love it, hate it, whatever, it does absolutely nothing for Tonya to trash Nancy. Tonya does not look better if Nancy somehow looks worse, so again--what is the point?

I think some have tried to make Tonya look worse to make Nancy look better . . . Although, either way is not right.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I think some have tried to make Tonya look worse to make Nancy look better . . . Although, either way is not right.

I wouldn't know, as I haven't read this entire thread. I figured it was full of stupid posts and ignored it until I started getting complaints about it.

I think I am going to take my own advice and ignore this mess.

bardtoob

I wouldn't know, as I haven't read this entire thread. I figured it was full of stupid posts and ignored it until I started getting complaints about it.

I think I am going to take my own advice and ignore this mess.

Oh, then I missed something . . . or, more likely, already ignored somebody with a stupid post.

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai shared her thoughts about being eliminated from DWTS and reflected on her overall experience in 2 posts on her Instagram:
https://instagram.com/p/Bi_Wlgpnu3l/
https://instagram.com/p/Bi_XQupHYkL/

She also tweeted what she wrote on IG along with the message: "Food for thought. Thank you to everyone who has supported me during this crazy journey. I’ll be at the finale and can’t wait to be a part of the supportive team on Monday!"
Adam tweeted a supportive response to Mirai tonight: https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/998357600285605888

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I think that coincided with her getting ready to be divorced from Gillooly. I think the gun incident (seen in I, Tonya) and being called out by The Oregonian newspaper for smoking happened early that year.

It was well known that she was a smoker. The Oregonian wasn't the only media outlet criticizing her for it.

sp555

How much does the popularity of the pro dancer come into play with the votes on DWTS?

Wasn't Mirai's partner newer to the show? Maybe that didn't work in her favor.

Is Sharna popular enough to help the football player Josh win the trophy?

BaileyCatts

How much does the popularity of the pro dancer come into play with the votes on DWTS?

Wasn't Mirai's partner newer to the show? Maybe that didn't work in her favor.

Is Sharna popular enough to help the football player Josh win the trophy?

1) Very important. Some people who are fans of the Pros (well, me and I bet there are lots of others like me :p) sometimes vote for the Pro they want to win more than who the 'star' is. I loved Tony so much I even voted for Kate Gosselin just to keep Tony on the show longer! :eek:

2) Second season for Alan (went out 2nd last season), so likely does not have as strong a built-in fan base. Same could be said for Jenna (second season and went out 1st in 2016 Fall season).

3) Yes! Sharna is very popular. She has been a partner on the show for 11 seasons now and has never won (in the Finals 3 times). It will not surprise me to see Josh/Sharna win because fans want a win for Sharna (and it don't hurt that Josh is pretty good and also has a strong NFL voting fan base).

Firedancer

1) Very important. Some people who are fans of the Pros (well, me and I bet there are lots of others like me :p) sometimes vote for the Pro they want to win more than who the 'star' is. I loved Tony so much I even voted for Kate Gosselin just to keep Tony on the show longer! :eek:

2) Second season for Alan (went out 2nd last season), so likely does not have as strong a built-in fan base. Same could be said for Jenna (second season and went out 1st in 2016 Fall season).

3) Yes! Sharna is very popular. She has been a partner on the show for 11 seasons now and has never won (in the Finals 3 times). It will not surprise me to see Josh/Sharna win because fans want a win for Sharna (and it don't hurt that Josh is pretty good and also has a strong NFL voting fan base).

Agree with all of this. I have often voted based on who the pros are when I have not cared for any of the celebrities. The one thing that could help Adam and Jenna is that Jenna is dating Val Chmerkovskiy. He and his brother have been encouraging all their fans to vote for her and Adam.

berthesghost

It's not right, and I don't know why anyone needs to go all the way back to 1994 to find a "fan war" to get involved in.
In the entire 120+ year history of the sport there has been one and only one skater that was attacked by associates of one of her competitors in order to rig the outcome of a competition. It was literally an historic event that changed the sport dramatically. Fobbing it off as just some long ago rivalry that only fans care about like “ew, why are you all like rehashing Zayak vs. Sumners, that was like so totally my grandma’s era” doesn’t make any sense, even if you are sick of hearing about it. Which btw, buckle up for next year’s 25th anneversary complete with nats in Detroit. Believe me, this is not something that only bitter fans keep alive.

vgerdes

The one thing that could help Adam and Jenna is that Jenna is dating Val Chmerkovskiy. He and his brother have been encouraging all their fans to vote for her and Adam.

I think Adam and Jenna have a bit more going for them than this "one thing," personally. Adam is immensely popular, and Jenna has had lots of fans since her days on So You Think You Can Dance. And then there is the fact that the judges have consistently given them the highest score (tied with others until last week, but still, their cumulative score is significantly higher than the other 2 finalists). I wouldn't exactly say Josh and Sharna have this in the bag.

Firedancer

I think Adam and Jenna have a bit more going for them than this "one thing," personally. Adam is immensely popular, and Jenna has had lots of fans since her days on So You Think You Can Dance. And then there is the fact that the judges have consistently given them the highest score (tied with others until last week, but still, their cumulative score is significantly higher than the other 2 finalists). I wouldn't exactly say Josh and Sharna have this in the bag.

I agree. Adam has done extremely well and has consistently scored at the top of the leaderboard. The original questions posed were regarding how/if the popularity of the pro could influence the results.

Inessence

The point is picking sides. Tonya vs. Nancy. Like the Hatfields and the McCoys. I'm not saying it makes sense, but it's what happens. Read any comment section about the two in a mainstream article.

Inessence

Especially now that his votes won't be split with Mirai. Still, the NFL is far more popular that figure skating, and Tonya's a wildcard. It will definitely be an interesting show tonight.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the DWTS thread in OTBT:

‘Dancing with the Stars: Athletes’: Breaking down the final three: http://www.goldderby.com/article/20...ll-win-adam-rippon-tonya-harding-josh-norman/
A large segment of fans also feels that two-time runner-up Sharna Burgess, who’s in her 11th straight season as a pro, is overdue for a win and a pro’s fan base is sometimes just as or even more important than the celebrity’s.

"One more chance to vote! Once the finalists have performed their final dances in tonight’s live broadcast in the ET|CT time zones, you can cast your LAST CHANCE VOTES to help determine the winners of Dancing with the Stars: Athletes! Check back then to cast your votes!" https://dwtsvote.abc.go.com

Last edited:

vgerdes

Especially now that his votes won't be split with Mirai. Still, the NFL is far more popular that figure skating. It will definitely be an interesting show tonight.

Except, how much overlap between football and dancing fans is there really? I know football players have won DWTS before, but IMO they were a lot more high-profile than Josh. To be honest until he got on this show I had only the vaguest idea who he was, and I am a pretty avid football watcher (MN Vikings fan - don't laugh).

Inessence

Except, how much overlap between football and dancing fans is there really? I know football players have won DWTS before, but IMO they were a lot more high-profile than Josh. To be honest until he got on this show I had only the vaguest idea who he was, and I am a pretty avid football watcher (MN Vikings fan - don't laugh).

I hope you're right, because I want one of the skaters to win. Football guys seem to do pretty well in this competition though. #ihatefootball

sp555

There must be others out there who could care less who actually wins DTWS and simply want to be entertained. I would vote for whichever dance team I found the most entertaining in that particular episode. If the football player happens to be the most entertaining tonight, he will get my vote. Simple as that.

I found the inclusion of all three skaters this season kind of weird. No reason to explain with one of them. lol
The other two I see as only "ok" skaters who basically lucked into an Olympic medal because of that silly team competition.

Meoima

I happen to be very smart. I have a degree in Accounting which I was never able to use because they wanted experience along with the degree. I think Tonya was framed by Jeff, and the usfsa simply used that to get rid of someone they never liked in the first place. Claire Ferguson thought Tonya should of resigned even if she could have proved she was completely innocent. I do have a brain, and if anyone ever calls me "not too bright" again , I will report them. My grammar isn't perfect but no one's is. This isn't English class (where I would make the effort to get it correct).

Tonya and Surya were better skaters than Nancy. Both girls did more in their programs. Nancy didn't raise her tech level until the 94 season. In 92, Nancy has less tech content planned in her free and made more mistakes than the other girls which the judges didn't penalize her for. Nancy NEVER beat Kristi. Tonya beat Kristi and Midori on multiple occasions. Tonya was perfectly capable of beating Nancy on her own. Kristi and Midori were also tougher competition (and maintained their skills as pros) than Oksana in 94.

If Tonya had reported "Jeff and Shawn are up to something" to the police or even directly to Nancy, they would of laughed in her face. Jeff never faced any real consequences for abusing Tonya. I don't get how Nancy became the "favorite" in the first place if you only judge on skating skill. Most skaters can't afford Vera Wang (although I think Vera was actually giving the outfits to her). The Scotvolds were better at the political part of skating than Rawlinson.

That note found in the restaurant trash (after several months ) would never have held up in court. There was multiple handwriting on it. Tonya said she didn't write down the times. There was also a breakdown of how the $10,000 was supposed to be paid ( $6,500 to pay Diane her coach, Erika her choregrapher, and ice time to the mall). 10,000-6500 = 3500. If Jeff wrote a check for $6,500 after paying the other bills, the check is going to bounce. I am pretty sure Tonya didn't have an extra $3000 laying around.
Tonya, is that you?

sp555

Yeah, especially that one who got lucky making history with a triple axel at the Olympics...

:rolleyes:

I actually enjoyed that performance a lot! It was exciting. I just don't see her or Adam as real contenders for individual world/olympic medals. It does not mean I hate them or anything. I actually like their skating! I just think they are a tad overrated is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information