Potential skaters on the next Dancing with the Stars?

screech

Mirai Nagasu has mentioned a few times that she's interested on being on Dancing with the Stars, but Entertainment Weekly has compiled a list of some athletes who have openly expressed interest, and a few skaters are on the list:

Mirai Nagasu
“I would like to be on Dancing With the Stars because I want to be a star,” Nagasu, who stuck her triple axel in the team event, said. “I made history here by landing the first triple axel for a U.S. lady at the Olympics so I think that is a big deal. I hope I get more opportunities to let my personality just shine.

“I smiled in the middle of my program. It is really rare for me but I enjoyed myself and I thought of this as my audition (for DWTS).”

Maia and Alex Shibutani
ALEX: If they wanted us on, I think we would consider it.
MAIA: It would be really different to compete against each other.
ALEX: We’ve never had to do that before in a serious way. It would be interesting and potentially awkward. But it would be really fun. I think we would both take it really seriously.

Zach Donohue (and maybe Madison Hubbell)
“When we were living in Detroit, I started teaching ballroom as well and we were very excited because we both love Latin music and Dancing With the Stars would be an opportunity to work with professionals and actually do ballroom on the floor, which would be incredible.” So, yeah, they’re in should the show come a-calling.

Though I HIGHLY doubt they'd do it, I can definitely see Tessa and Scott being asked to join the cast. I could also see Adam being asked.

Thoughts?
Predictions?

Debbie S

I could see the Shibs getting asked, b/c of their social media presence and the partner/sibling rivalry would be a cute storyline. But the rivalry storyline didn't really work with D/W, so I don't know if the show would try something like that again. I could see one of them getting asked.

Ultimately, Mirai didn't really distinguish herself at the Olys and her comment about her skate being a DWTS audition is kind of a turn-off. Not to mention her dissing her TE teammates after her ind skate.

Adam has the name recognition and the personality, but his lack of ind medal might take him off the radar screen. But DWTS doesn't always take the top/highest-ranked athlete in the case of other Olympians (thinking of Aly Raisman, Laurie Hernandez), so who knows.

There are enough USA gold medalists to fill a DWTS roster (and I imagine there will only be a few Olympians) so we might not see any skaters. But they do need a couple really good dancers to fill out the cast, so we'll see.

snippy

No. Skaters that have been on DWTS: Kristi Yamaguchi, Dorothy Hamill, Nancy Kerrigan, Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Evan Lysacek.

I suppose that it makes it easier for the legalities and logistics of a visa situation to use Americans. I’d like them to do somebody totally different, I could see them picking Ashley Wagner.

snippy

I guess Kwan turned it down because otherwise why not her? Maybe she can't dance. :)

See, that’s something that I miss. I haven’t watched the show in ages, but the premise used to be picking people with zero dance training or anything like that. Now they’ve got boy banders, Mario Lopez had a ton of dance when he was younger, figure skaters etc

BaileyCatts

I guess Kwan turned it down because otherwise why not her? Maybe she can't dance. :)

I've read articles before where Michelle was asked if she would ever want to do DWTS. The answer directly from her was always no. I do not know if she was ever "officially asked" by the show, but I've read she would not want to do it if asked.

RockTheTassel

I think Mirai, Adam, and the Shibs could all potentially have a shot. Mirai didn't do well in the individual, but she did get a team medal, so there's some success to go off of. They can also play up her making history with the triple Axel and the redemption narrative. Adam also got a team medal and has the best star quality - his social media following got a huge increase and people seem to like him. Maia and Alex obviously did the best competitive-wise, and playing up the rivalry would probably work better because they're siblings. Any one of them could do it, but Adam might be the best because of the type of show it is.

I don't even follow DWTS, but I'd love to see a skater on again, and I'm sure it's a fun opportunity. :)

Spun Silver

I think expecting sibling rivalry from the Shibs is a lost cause. But there are plenty of other reasons to have them on the show.

They just published a video called "when we first met," showing Mama and Gramma Shib introducing Alex to his new sibling. His reaction: pure delight. "Can I hold her?" "I love my baby sister!" Mama Shib: "She loves you too!" And so it has gone for 23 years. :D

screech

Have they ever done a non American skater?
No, but a lot of non-US 'stars' in other areas.

As I'd mentioned, though, I'd be completely shocked if they actually did it. But I'd seen or read (can't remember) something that said Virtue and Moir probably the most 'bankable' athletes of these Games, so I feel like DWTS would be idiots to not at least ask them.

VGThuy

I believe the Shibs’ agent has ties to the show and they’ve attended a taping of the show with Gracie Gold like two years ago. Plus a few DWTS dancers have liked and commented on their latest Instagram posts. They’re also one of the most talked about American Olympians online and in regular media. With DWTS doing an all-athlete edition of DWTS, I think they had the Winter Olympics in mind for doing it.

snippy

As I'd mentioned, though, I'd be completely shocked if they actually did it. But I'd seen or read (can't remember) something that said Virtue and Moir probably the most 'bankable' athletes of these Games, so I feel like DWTS would be idiots to not at least ask them.

Yeah I thought about them, however they’re likely touring with Stars on Ice Canada around the time the show starts.

RoseRed

Yeah I thought about them, however they’re likely touring with Stars on Ice Canada around the time the show starts.
The US tour overlaps too, though, doesn't it? The US tour goes from April 6th to May 20th. The Canadian tour goes from April 27th to May 17th.

I think someone said in another thread that DWTS starts on April 30th? If that's right, the US skaters are in Pittsburgh on the 27th, Detroit on the 28th, and Chicago on the 29th. The Canadian skaters are in Halifax on the 27th and Ottawa on the 29th.

The US skaters are closer, but none of them are close to LA, so anyone doing DWTS would likely have to miss at least a few shows.

All of the Shibs, Ashley, Adam, Mirai and H/D are listed for SOI.

VGThuy

When Davis/White did Stars on Ice, didn't it also overlap with their DWTS schedule?

chapis

But do you think that they chose more than 1 figure skater. Because I think Adam will be invited for sure. And I would dont like if they invite only 1 ShibSib.

screech

When Davis/White did Stars on Ice, didn't it also overlap with their DWTS schedule?
It did. And they were the very rare busy stars who never talked about or complained about their busy schedules (I don't even think any clips of them on tour, or practicing outside of the DWTS studios made the edits). IIRC Meryl actually broke a toe at one point, and it was never mentioned on the show. Meanwhile some 'stars' stub their toes and it makes the edits.

I think Evan was doing both at the same time too. IIRC We saw him and his partner practicing in hotels.

Debbie S

Ahem. Third lady ever to do a (perfect) 3A at the Olympics and the only one attempting it in Pyeongchang, First senior lady anywhere to do a clean 8-triple program. Her Olympics began brilliantly and she was an instant star, even if they didn't end very well.
Yes, her Olys didn't end well. Her 'star' burned out the first week. And her comments/portrayal in the mainstream media made her sound like an entitled brat (and I'm a fan of Mirai and was rooting for her to sneak in for a medal in the individual). DWTS has had controversial cast members before (see Ryan Lochte) but with a shortened season/smaller cast and other, more successful Olympians without any negativity surrounding them, I suspect DWTS will take a pass.

I love them, they’re cute. But they just somehow don’t suit the show.
Agree. I think it would be difficult for them to adapt to that style of dancing. But Simone Biles wasn't a fit either, and was still fun to watch and went pretty deep in the season, and with her accomplishments and name recognition, DWTS would have been crazy not to have her.

I suspect they will probably only have 1 figure skater, maybe 2 - the cast is only 10 people and I assume they want to have a diversity of sports represented.

Ladida

Tonya Harding for all the potential drama :watch:

From current figure skaters I would like to see Ashley to do it, she seems like that she could actually enjoy it.

Tessa and Scott in some Olympic interviews said that they would like to try to do ballroom dancing, so it could be "fun way" to learn it. But no doubt that ABC would milk their "special relationship" to a horrible level since there is not much opportunity for good old showmance between pro and star anymore, considering that majority of the pros are married/engaged/in long term relationship.
I would prefer to see them to do something more like SYTYCD format, so they would dance together and they would learn choreography and dance from some old pros.

giselle23

I only watch this show if a skater is on it. Michelle, BTW, did at one point say she was open to it.

Skittl1321

I think Adam has a better shot than Mirai does. I think Mirai killed her chances by saying her freeskate was an audition. If she had the skate of her life, those comments may have gone over better. I totally get what she was saying ("I just wanted to enjoy it and show my personality") but it didn't sound good, especially when she didn't have a great result.

I'd love to see any of the ice dancers, but I think after Meryl and Charlie, it's unlikely to that we'd get one. They really are pretty high on the ringer category. (Especially Donahue who said he was teaching ballroom!) I think Shib Sibs are most likely. TV seems to eat them up. Fun nickname! Won a medal!

Debbie S

I'd love to see any of the ice dancers, but I think after Meryl and Charlie, it's unlikely to that we'd get one. They really are pretty high on the ringer category. (Especially Donahue who said he was teaching ballroom!)
Well, they do need a few ringers to make the show interesting - if the entire cast was people without any dancing ability, no one would want to watch. I think Zach Donohue's experience teaching ballroom probably takes him out, but I don't think the show would eliminate all ice dancers. Meryl was a pretty good cast member to have and brought in a lot of interest. Granted, most of that was due to the are-they-or-aren't-they speculation about her and Maks, but it's clear that the producers and viewers admired her dancing and were glad to have had her on the show.

chapis

I have to say, I think Tessa and Scott would be the most interesting to have on DWTS. Just because of their personalities, relationship, and incredible dance ability.

If they go with an American skater, I think it'll be Adam.

There is not a Canadian version of DWTS? I dont know about Scott but if Tessa is in a dancing contest she will win for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information