Potential skaters on the next Dancing with the Stars?

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I can't see them passing up a US skater for a non-US skater, no matter how good the latter.

Would love to see the sekret baby blog direct its negative attention and screenshots towards random D List celebrities that dare place ahead of Tessa though. :lol:

attyfan

Any idea when the announcement will be made? I think all would be good choices (although it would be overly corny if the Shibs got paired with the Houghs). They might be able to get Kwan, though -- after all, divorces can be expensive.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I would love to see Adam and Mirai but I think they may ask the Shibs just to play up partner angle like they did with Meryl and Charlie, and then they have the sibling angle also.

RoseRed

I would love to see Adam and Mirai but I think they may ask the Shibs just to play up partner angle like they did with Meryl and Charlie, and then they have the sibling angle also.
But it didn't really work with Meryl and Charlie, did it? The main storyline there was Meryl and Maks.

screech

And not siblings, but they had family this year with spouses Vanessa and Nick Lachey. After a few weeks the focus on the relationships (they paired them with spouses Maks and Peta) got really annoying. And they also got extra screen time, because whenever Vanessa danced, they interviewed Nick, and vice versa. They handled it MUCH better with Meryl/Charlie.

Barbara Manatee

DWTS has a limited bag of storylines that they pull out again and again. If there is a couple or partnership on, they always go hard creating a rivalry which ends up screwing at least one half of the pair. If the Shibs are on this season though they might get lucky, in that the shorter time frame might not give the show the opportunity to pull its usual shenanigans.

chapis

Well, I guess it is not very interesting for the show but for me like a fan of Maia and Alex, I am curious to see them to dance a sexy or romantic dance for the first time, at least 1 dance. How many dances are there before the first contestant is kicked out?

Barbara Manatee

I think the last several seasons they've done two dances before the first boot. Since the all-athletes edition is only 4 weeks long though, I expect eliminations will start after just one.

laviemn

Interview with the casting director/exec producer of DWTS. Mirai's controversial comments didn't hurt her chances at all, she's being considered along with Adam, Nathan, Shibs.

This makes me think whoever ends up on the show might have to deal with Tonya Harding:
"While Nagasu's comments apparently did not hurt her chance, anyone from PyeongChang could be in the mix, in addition to former Olympians. Katz estimates there will be one or two Olympic athletes – new or old – that will make the contestant list, which will only consist of 10 "stars" this upcoming season."

http://www.11alive.com/article/spor...pians-may-be-dancing-next-season/85-523887348

kittyjake5

And Meryl was the only reason why I watched DWTS (and I haven't watched since) because I was surprised at her dance ability on that show considering what I've seen on the ice.
Meryl really showed off her dancing abilities in Love on the Floor. She was sensational!

Debbie S

If there are only 1 or 2 Olympians, and not necessarily this year's, then I would assume 1 figure skater at the most, unless every other Olympian they ask turns them down. Adam would seem to be most likely. I'm sure they would also want to get Lindsay Vonn, Chloe Kim, one of the women's hockey players, or curling team....

Are they still doing a kids version (which sounds like a bad idea) in the fall? If not, I would think there might be room for more skaters, with a larger cast and longer season.

laviemn

If there are only 1 or 2 Olympians, and not necessarily this year's, then I would assume 1 figure skater at the most, unless every other Olympian they ask turns them down. Adam would seem to be most likely. I'm sure they would also want to get Lindsay Vonn, Chloe Kim, one of the women's hockey players, or curling team....

Are they still doing a kids version (which sounds like a bad idea) in the fall? If not, I would think there might be room for more skaters, with a larger cast and longer season.

They're auditioning for the pro kids now. There's no start date because casting a kids version turned out to be more complicated than anticipated.

I agree, I think if Chloe Kim or Lindsay Vonn want it, they'll get it. Adam makes his case stronger with every interview, and now he's made it to late night.

Spiralgraph

DWTS also probably wants to wait for the conclusion of the Para Olympics before they select all their athletes they want on the show.Remember Amy Purdy who came in second to Meryl? We might have to wait longer to find out who they asked.

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
Katz estimates there will be one or two Olympic athletes – new or old – that will make the contestant list, which will only consist of 10 "stars" this upcoming season."

Maybe they are considering Johnny Weir. He is already used to the flamboyant outfits.

screech

Lacey Schwimmer of DWTS wants the Shibs on:

https://twitter.com/LaceySchwimmer/status/969398421630013440

Well, it's sort of self-serving as she wants to go against her brother Benji with the Shibs. I kind of don't like the idea of two sets of siblings switching partners and competing.
I'd LOVE to see Benji on the show. I've always thought he'd be great. Based on Lacey's twitter retweets around the time of that post, it seems like it wasn't her choice to leave the show - it's all about petitions to get her back on the show, or people saying they'd watch her on the show (I never particularly loved her on the show). And Benji himself re-tweeted someone's post that they'd love to see him paired with Adam.

Last year they did the married couples against each other (Nick and Vanessa Lachey vs Maks and Peta) and it did not go over so well.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting this article link from the Adam & Mirai fan threads:
I'm mostly looking forward to Mirai, Adam, Nathan, and the Shibs - all who were named by the DWTS casting director as possibilities [March 3rd article]:

“… If I could just do a season of ice skaters, that would be fantastic because I could have filled it up just with them.”

Also, don't the athletes have to sign some kind of contract with SOI? Would they be able to just go ahead and exit the tour if they choose to for DWTS? It depends on the terms of their respective contracts but I"m guessing no. And DWTS films on Mondays but wouldn't the cast members need at least a day or so to learn their routines??
If any of the SOI skaters are cast in DTWS, their lives would just get MUCH busier -- Lysacek, Davis & White all met their SOI tour and DWTS rehearsal/filming obligations when they did both.

Article about the new showrunner for DTWS: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dancing-stars-sets-new-showrunner-season-26-1093557

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Re-posting this article link from the Adam & Mirai fan threads:

If any of the SOI skaters are cast in DTWS, their lives would just get MUCH busier -- Lysacek, Davis & White all met their SOI tour and DWTS rehearsal/filming obligations when they did both.

Article about the new showrunner for DTWS: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dancing-stars-sets-new-showrunner-season-26-1093557

It's true the previous skaters on the show did indeed meet their obligations to both SOI and DWTS! A lot of flying back and forth IIRC and it must've been exhausting but it's certainly doable!

Barbara Manatee

It should be relatively easy even - both shows will be a lot shorter this time. When Evan did it, DWTS was 10 weeks and the SOI tour was 40 cities! Plus they'll have had an extra month+ to recover from the Olympics because DWTS is starting so much later. No sweat. :nopryde:

kirkbiggestfan

Non-US skaters: Pasha, Korpi, Witt, Guarise, Loudmila Protopopov, Javier Fernandez...
Lemme do the casting this season. I'll spice things up!
I'll even throw Tonia Harding...

skateboy

Is it usual to campaign for a spot on DWTS or is this just something Adam and Mirai started?

Barbara Manatee

It is fairly common for people who aren't really "stars" to campaign, but they usually don't end up getting invited. Olympians have usually been a little more subtle about it, showing up in the audience or tweeting a lot when their teammates are on the show. Signing on with IMG. Hiring DWTS pros to help them with choreo.

skateboy

I'll even throw Tonia Harding...

I have a feeling Tonya might actually be on the show. She said in a recent interview that she had some really big news, but couldn't say anything. She also said that in about two weeks everyone would find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information