DWTS S26: All-Athletes Edition! (i.e. the DWTS thread for NOT yammering about what happened 24 years ago)

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I watched the freestyles today, and my rankings would have been 1) Josh (by far); 2) Adam; and 3) Tonya. None of them were anywhere near as spectacular as many we've seen in the past (ahh, Meryl and Maks...) but I don't get the extreme enthusiasm for what Tonya did over the other two (and this is my analysis on her dancing, not on Tonya personally). It was just a mishmash of old gymnastic and disco moves. Len was right; she just threw everything in there. And it was sometimes awkward, both her dancing and the flips, and the tumbling was overdone after the first two flips.

Tonya did very well in DWTS and definitely surprised me by being much more graceful than I expected. But she was definitely not as good a dancer overall as either Josh or Adam (or Mirai for that matter), and the judges', most notably Carrie Ann's insistence on overblowing some of her performances into almost the be all and end all of dancing just made it look like there was big push to get her further instead of letting her dancing do it for her. Tonya did great; she was able to shine on her own, she didn't need the overdone "redemption" focus and praise that the show decided would be her narrative. And that focus left a bad taste in my mouth as it did many others; I actually would have enjoyed her dancing more without the drama. Because in the end she was actually really good and her dancing stood on its own.

vgerdes

Tonya did great; she was able to shine on her own, she didn't need the overdone "redemption" focus and praise that the show decided would be her narrative. And that focus left a bad taste in my mouth as it did many others; I actually would have enjoyed her dancing more without the drama. Because in the end she was actually really good and her dancing stood on its own.

This. If they had just focused on the now, instead of what "was taken from her," it would have made me much more receptive. She did really well. But the redemption narrative made me ill.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Tonya brought herself a lot of good will with DWTS. Now it will be interesting to see where she takes it. One good thing DWTS actually did was not bring up "the incident" (to quote the movie); but the media will likely bring it up again. Will she able to keep the grace under pressure, or will her mouth and her temper shoot her in the foot yet again?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Unlike some others I really loved Adam's jazz. I thought it was clever & entertaining. I actually hated Adam's & Tonya's freestyles. I wasn't in love with Josh's but it was better than theirs.

Were those awful somersaults included in Tonya's freestyle supposed to impress anyone? WTF? I would have that routine at a 6 or 7 & Adam's an 8.

love skating

Clueless American
Congrats to Adam! I too was underwhelmed by his freestyle. The lighting didn't help as I could hardly see the dancing! lol that people compare his ending shirt of the jazz round to Alex's SD shirt, esp funny cause as soon as Anything You Can Do started playing I thought about how the Shibs skated to that for their exhibition. I still really really hate how short the season was, how few dances everyone got to do in the end. And I hate that we didn't get to see two more dances from Mirai - she sure looked great in the gold outfit last night though! And were the mirror ball trophies smaller or was that just my imagination? I noticed it said "athletes" on it, but it also looked smaller. Anyway, glad Adam won, wish they had announced 2nd and 3rd though I'm pretty sure Josh was second. And was sad to see many negative posts for Adam's win... most of those seemed to be Josh fans - well actually most seemed to be Sharna fans saying she was robbed. But I guess that happens every year (the wuzrobbing talk).

UGG

I think the impressive thing about Tonya’s hand springs and round off was they were done in the middle of a fast paced dance. The form was pretty poor but she was moving the whole time.

Also Tonya does look out of shape but after whatching that I really don’t possibly think that is the case.

just tuned in

Has there been any follow-up from Mirai? My last impression is that when the confetti was coming down she was trying to get Adam for a hug, but the crush of people around him (and Jenna) prevented her.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

BaileyCatts

I didn't even notice that is not the usual Mirror Ball trophy. Its looks smaller and chintzier. Did they short shrift out on the trophy the same way they did with the Season? :p

screech

Biggest thing that surprised me after the winners were announced was that Val didn't storm the dance floor to hug Jenna. The Chmerkovskiys will take any opportunity to be in front of the camera and pull focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information