Ukrainian skaters' migration to other countries

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I have no idea who Vadym is and I just donated. I guess I'll have to start following his career now. :lol:
He was Jr World Champion with Avonlea Nguyen two years ago. Then they broke up, there was no junior circuit thanks to Covid and there have been rumors of a new partnership but with whom I forget. He's really, really talented.

Marta24

He was Jr World Champion with Avonlea Nguyen two years ago. Then they broke up, there was no junior circuit thanks to Covid and there have been rumors of a new partnership but with whom I forget. He's really, really talented.
That breakup was one of my biggest ice dance heartbreaks in recent years. It is absolutely amazing how many great skaters have come out of Ukraine. Thank you for posting the link.

airgelaal

Ukrainian figure skater Andriy Kokura works as a volunteer in Lviv. There are no subtitles, but you can see his daily life now.
Andriy said that it was not enough for him to be safe. He was looking for opportunities to help people.
He also said that many foreigners wrote to him and offered help. Not a single Russian wrote anything.
He closes his eyes and imagines doing a triple axel

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for the update!
2 female skaters Arina and Polina and their coach Anastasia from Charkiv are safely in Berlin and able to train at TSC Berlin

Sorry I don't know how to link in the Instagram post from the app
Link (tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the post to copy a link): https://www.instagram.com/p/CbLlMP2Kphh/

Today in a Finnish paper there was also an article about Ukrainian National Team member Taisiia Spesivtseva, who was able to evacuate with her coach Marina Amirkhanova and her mom to Tallinn, where they are now living in a hotel and Taisiia is training at the Tondiraba rink. 🙂 The article mentioned that two pairs of skates were literally almost the only thing that she packed to go with her when they evacuated.
Update: Taisiia Spesivtseva is listed to compete in the European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF) next week in Finland - link to the competition thread in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...festival-march-23-24-vuokatti-finland.109527/

reut

Skating Community Rallies for Ukraine
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/skating-community-rallies-for-ukraine/
Hugo Chouinard's story is especially touching.

Ukrainian skater Lubov Zholobova is training in Champéry:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbOB0B9ocAk/

"It happens that your life in gone in one moment. Everything is taken from you, things you lived for, woke up for, you were running, flying... Ravenous men came and bombed all your dreams... But thank God there are those who bring light and love!!! I'm flying again..."

Hanna

Skating junkie
Skating Community Rallies for Ukraine
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/skating-community-rallies-for-ukraine/
Hugo Chouinard's story is especially touching.
Chouinard :love: :love: Reading things like this. :love: So I'm taking this as confirmation that N/N will indeed be skating next week? :love: So are they at least somewhat keeping the old choreo in the RD but just using new music? If so, will be interesting to see how that plays out as the old Hit the Road Jack RD and the choreo are quite cheerful. But it could also be that they have completely new choreo. Can't believe that they are doing this in basically a one-week time frame after everything else that has happened, but how meaningful. 🧡

In any case, based on what I read, I'm expecting a shit ton of tears. :wuzrobbed I was thinking yesterday that we might be getting a lot of tear jerker programs from Ukrainian skaters next season but I wasn't prepared that it'd already be happening next week.

Last edited:

Finnice

RE N/N and the old Hit the Road, Jack RD: The words would apply to one nicknamed Vova (Hit the road, Vova and don't you come back no more, no more...). Bad joke, I know.

Anyway, if Nazarova and Nikitin really are to skate in Montpellier, it does not matter how they skate and where they end. That they skate and can represent the country, which is facing such an horrendous attack, is sheer bravery. It is lovely to read how the other skaters are encouraging them. That is sports at its best.

divan

Yes, Nazarova/Nikitin, Shmuratko and Holichenko-Darensky will be participating at Worlds. (I'm part of org committee here at Montpellier, by the way) They all in Europe already, heading to France. They didn't practice for 3 weeks, obviously :(

Trillian

Yes, Nazarova/Nikitin, Shmuratko and Holichenko-Darensky will be participating at Worlds. (I'm part of org committee here at Montpellier, by the way) They all in Europe already, heading to France. They didn't practice for 3 weeks, obviously :(

I’m very happy to hear that they’re all safe, thanks for sharing (and for everything else you’re doing). The last update I saw on Shmuratko was that he was in Kyiv, so I’m relieved to see this news. While the circumstances aren’t great for competing, I hope they feel all the love and support from the skating world.

Hanna

Skating junkie
The best news of the day. :love: While it's obviously not the ideal preparation to compete, I hope and believe it will be really important and a moment of pride for them to skate and honor and represent their country, now more than ever. I hope they will feel the support.

As a part of the organizing committee, is there any chance for you to steal the printer at the Worlds Headquarters for a bit and make some flags to distribute? 😅 It would be amazing if there were lots! I'm planning to go to the library tomorrow morning and see if I can print out some A4 flags to hopefully share with the people sitting around me at the rink. 😅

Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Anastasiia Shabotova, who was to make her Worlds debut in Montpellier, is no longer listed in the Women’s entries as of today. :(
I read on Twitter that she liked Plushenko's pro-Putin post on Instagram and made some unsavoury statements in support of the invasion. I imagine the Ukrainian federation did not take kindly to that.

Edit: Some screenshots here for those of you who read Russian:

Last edited:

divan

I read on Twitter that she liked Plushenko's pro-Putin post on Instagram and made some unsavoury statements in support of the invasion. I imagine the Ukrainian federation did not take kindly to that.
No, it's not related.

She just don't realize that likes policing is a thing, and carelessly liking fellow skaters photos, often without reading the text. They decided to withdraw from the first days of the war. Statements she made were just defensive phrases like "it's my business whose posts I like or do not like". Again, Nastya is just a kid, who has long history of misunderstanding the scope of implications of her public activity in social media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information