Ukrainian skaters' migration to other countries

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I'm helping to coordinate evacuation, and here are some status updates on skaters you might've seen this season:

NameLocationStatus/defailsLast contact
Ivan ShmuratkoUkraineKyiv6.03.2022
Anastasiia Shabotovanot in Ukrainesafe1.03.2022
Maksym NikitinUkraineKharkiv6.03.2022
Oleksandra NazarovaUkraineevacuating5.03.2022
Sofiia HolichenkoUkraineDnipro5.03.2022
Artem DarenskyiUkraineDnipro5.03.2022
Anastasiia ArkhypovaUkraineevacuating5.03.2022
Anastasia Gozhvanot in Ukrainesafe5.03.2022
Yelyzaveta Babenkonot in Ukrainesafe5.03.2022
Mariia Andriichuknot in Ukrainesafe5.03.2022
Taisiia Spesivtsevanot in Ukrainesafe5.03.2022
Violetta SierovaUkraineevacuating6.03.2022
Ivan KhobtaUkrainenear Kyiv5.03.2022
Mariia Holubtsovanot in Ukrainesafe6.03.2022
Kyryl BielobrovUkrainecentral regions6.03.2022
Fedir Kulishnot in Ukrainesafe6.03.2022
Kyrylo MarsakUkraineevacuating6.03.2022
Andrii KokuraUkraineLviv6.03.2022
Kyrylo LishenkoUkrainenear Kyiv6.03.2022
Hlib SmotrovUkraineevacuating6.03.2022
Kateryna Kononenkonot in Ukrainesafe6.03.2022
Anastasiia FomchenkovaUkraineKharkiv,
will be evacuating today
Myroslava TkachenkoUkrainewestern region6.03.2022
Andrii Kaprannot in Ukrainesafe6.03.2022

One of the coaches from Kyiv was in Irpin, hiding from russian forces in basement with other people. We've lost contact, but the connectivity is lost with the whole city. There was an evacuation attempt today, under the fire. Tomorrow will be another attempt.

Sadly the reports about Aleksandra Nazarova being evacuated are not true. 😭
She is still in Kharkiv.

Sasha said about the Russian proposal of offering humanitarian corridors to evacuate Ukrainians to Belarus/Russia,
Are you serious?​
Belarus or Russia?​
We're not gonna go!!!​

For the Ukrainians, that must be the choice between the devil or the deep blue sea 🤬

Sylvia

TBD
Olga Mikutina’s post today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CawbW6WNEeB/
Her caption in English:
I was born in Ukraine. I spent my entire childhood up to the age of 13 there. There I started my career as a figure skater and received my first primary education. Incredible people live in this country, my relatives, acquaintances and friends. It's unbearable to see what's going on there now. It's terrible that thousands of innocent people are dying. War is always destruction and pain. I am insanely sad and hurt to see the destruction of my homeland. This is an incredible country, with its own individual history, culture, traditions, kind, helpful people. Thanks to the entire army and the people who are now defending it and trying to defend the freedom and sovereignty of Ukraine. And also to everyone who supports Ukraine in other countries, goes to various demonstrations, organizes humanitarian aid, donations, etc. I really hope that this terrible war will soon be stopped. After all, what could be better than a peaceful sky and security?

Glory to Ukraine!🇺🇦

2018 Olympian for Sweden, Anita Ostlund, who was born in Odesa UKR (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014929.htm) posted "Слава Україні 🕊🇺🇦" on her Instagram today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CazIe_ArZ6Q/

Sylvia

TBD
Is there anything we can do to help? Organizations to donate to?
Thread in OTBT with suggestions:

ETA:

Since Canadian junior ice dancer Nadiia Bashynska was mentioned back in July 2020 in post #2:
Nadiia Bashynska, who runs her own candymaking business when she isn't skating, is making and selling a new line of white chocolates to raise money for Ukraine. Here are her Instagram post about it and her Etsy link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CadcS2Bg14t/

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1186888385/help-ukraine-vegan-artisan-chocolate

Last edited:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Thread in OTBT with suggestions:

ETA:

Since Canadian junior ice dancer Nadiia Bashynska was mentioned back in July 2020 in post #2:
You’re a gem, Sylvia! Thank you.

divan

Is there anything we can do to help? Organizations to donate to?
There are many, yes. Sylvia's list has tons of options.

But, if you want to specifically help ukrainian skating community – the answer is no at the moment. I'd love to setup a fund for this purpose, but I have no people with experience running the fund. Plus it's a bit complicated process in Ukraine even in normal times.

I'm talking to a few friends from European figure skating federations that might give a hand with this (as many people now flee to Europe, it'll be easier to have fund in Euro zone anyways). Work in progress.

Actually, if anyone has an experience of establishing & running emergency fund in Europe, I'd love to have help with that.

Sylvia

TBD
Jeré Longman wrote about Viktor Petrenko in a March 1st New York Times article, excerpted below:
… Petrenko, 52, who became Olympic champion two months after the Soviet Union dissolved and now spends much of his time coaching and performing in ice shows in Europe. He recently visited his hometown, Odessa, for a commemoration of the 30th anniversary of his Olympic victory, then went to his apartment in Kyiv, only to be marooned once the Russian invasion began, his daughter, Victoria, 24, said Tuesday.
Victoria Petrenko, who lives in Manhattan, said that she had been in contact with her father and that he was safe at the moment. Viktor Petrenko was apparently taking shelter in the basement of his apartment building when air raid sirens blared, his daughter said. He did not respond to phone calls or text messages requesting an interview on Tuesday.
“It’s just such a tragedy,” Victoria Petrenko said of the crisis in Ukraine, her voice choking with emotion. “He says he tries to stay inside. For now, it’s OK. I’ve been trying to get him to leave, but I don’t think the situations at the borders are easy. I hope he’s able to leave safely soon.”
Has anyone seen or heard an update about Viktor since last week?

Hanna

Skating junkie
Arkhypova’s latest Instagram stories show she has moved on to Riga, Latvia (Volvo Sports Center) where she can train.
😍 I am so happy she's been able to move somewhere where she can train and hopefully get her mind out of what's happening at home even a little bit.

Today in a Finnish paper there was also an article about Ukrainian National Team member Taisiia Spesivtseva, who was able to evacuate with her coach Marina Amirkhanova and her mom to Tallinn, where they are now living in a hotel and Taisiia is training at the Tondiraba rink. 🙂 The article mentioned that two pairs of skates were literally almost the only thing that she packed to go with her when they evacuated.

I wish the situation was similar for all the Ukrainian skaters. 💔

Sylvia

TBD
Today in a Finnish paper there was also an article about Ukrainian National Team member Taisiia Spesivtseva, who was able to evacuate with her coach Marina Amirkhanova and her mom to Tallinn, where they are now living in a hotel and Taisiia is training at the Tondiraba rink. 🙂 The article mentioned that two pairs of skates were literally almost the only thing that she packed to go with her when they evacuated.
Hopefully this means she will compete at Junior Worlds in Tallinn next month - Spesivtseva’s ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107975.htm
I wish the situation was similar for all the Ukrainian skaters. 💔
Andrii Kokura’s reply to a well-meaning fan: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbAq0WDo8aI/
For those without Instagram, the DM exchange:
Hello Andriy, Do you know has Iwan Shmuratko who can attend the World Championships the possibility for training?
AK: Hello he has possibility to hide in bomb shelters. This I know
ETA Shmuratko’s (v4no_) reply in the Comments section: “Now we got different values.”

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Аnastasiia Fomchenkova was announced as main entry and Anastasiia Arkhypova as first alternate.
Thanks, just checked and Taisiia Spesivtseva lacks the TES minimums for 2022 Junior Worlds.

UKR federation announced their Junior World team back on Jan. 27, 2022 (after Junior Nationals):

The Presidium of the Ukrainian Figure Skating Federation (UFFC) at the suggestion of the Coaching Council approved the composition of the team that will take part in the World Figure Skating Championships among juniors of the season 2021/2022.

At the competitions to be held on March 7-13 in Sofia (Bulgaria) Ukraine will be represented by:

in men's singles - Kyrylo Marsak;

in women's singles - Anastasiia Fomchenkova;

in pair skating - Violetta Sierova / Ivan Khobta;

in sports dances on ice - Mariia Pinchuk / Mykyta Pogorielov.

At the same time, Kyrylo Marsak and Anastasia Fomchenkova must score the minimum amount of points required to participate in the World Cup. To fulfill this task, they will take part in the international Jegvirag Cup tournament, which will take place on February 11-13 in Miskolc (Hungary). [ETA: Marsak got the 43.23 in FS he needed at Jegvirag and Fomchenkova already had the minimums she needed.]

Vadym Novikov and Anastasia Arkhipova, who have a technical minimum, have been identified as reserve athletes in these two disciplines.

Last edited:

airgelaal

At the same time, Kyrylo Marsak and Anastasia Fomchenkova must score the minimum amount of points required to participate in the World Cup. To fulfill this task, they will take part in the international Jegvirag Cup tournament, which will take place on February 11-13 in Miskolc (Hungary).
They both got it. But our federation is silent about plans. But I hope someone will be able to compete

divan

So most of skaters mentioned earlier are safe, except Ivan Shmuratko – trying to evacuate him from Kyiv (it becomes more and more difficult, as escaping by car becomes more dangerous). Maksym Nikitin and Oleksandra Nazarova are safe now too, and trying to get to the border and go to the Worlds.

There also were issues with permissions to leave country for males (males 18-60 are prohibited to leave country). Mykyta Pohorielov and Ivan Khobta stuck on the border, because UFSF didn't issue the proper documents, so they were stopped at the border. As of today the paperwork issues should be resolved though.

PS. To see Ukrainian skaters who have Minimum TES, you can consult event page: https://skateukraine.org/event/2021-22/junior_worlds/ (click "details" under the Minimum TES section). (works for Worlds too)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@divan - thank you for the update! We're praying for the safety of all of your skaters, coaches, regardless of whether they're assigned to Worlds or Junior Worlds. I hope they're able to find safe places to train in other countries while everything has been disrupted in Ukraine.

Kelvster

So sad. Ivan schmurato is a unique skater and his olympik performances, while not perfekt, left a deep impression (one could tell that he had to endure a lot .. having tested positive etc). I bet he couldn’t imagine what would happen upon his return to Ukraine. I hope that we will see him skate again.

Sylvia

TBD
New organization:

The goal of the association is to unite all athletes worldwide to take a stand for peace and solidarity and against war.

Jens Steinigen, 1992 Biathlon Olympic gold medalist, initiator and chair of the association:
“I started Athletes for Ukraine because I cannot bear glaring injustice. Putin must be stopped immediately; for the Ukrainian people, who are defending our values with their lives as well. For our future and that of our children, for the future of all who want to live in freedom and democracy! Everyone can join and help, regardless of whether they are professional athletes, coaches, hobby athletes, fans or simply want to be active against the war in the Ukraine. Together we are strong!”

Hanna

Skating junkie
Thank you so much for all the info, divan!

So most of skaters mentioned earlier are safe, except Ivan Shmuratko – trying to evacuate him from Kyiv (it becomes more and more difficult, as escaping by car becomes more dangerous).
All fingers crossed that he can also get out! 🤞🙏

Maksym Nikitin and Oleksandra Nazarova are safe now too, and trying to get to the border and go to the Worlds.
That is heart-warming to know. Just knowing they are safe gives me ridiculous peace but the thought of them still actually trying to make it to Worlds is 100% extra. I really hope it works out for them! It doesn't change the fact that their homes are being destroyed and their people killed but I can imagine striving for this would give them a sense of normality and something to focus on for the next couple of weeks. It could also make them even more determined to skate for their country.

If they, or any other Ukrainian skaters, make it to Worlds that arena will hopefully be filled with Ukrainian flags.
Well I for one am prepared with a 🇺🇦 shirt, wristbands, hat ( :rofl: ) and a N/N banner so far, so :inavoid: . Even if no Ukrainian skaters make it to Montpellier. But if they do make it, I also hope that they will get raving support and standing ovations from the crowd, including a sea of flags! :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Well I for one am prepared with a 🇺🇦 shirt, wristbands, hat ( :rofl: ) and a N/N banner so far so :inavoid: . Even if no Ukrainian skaters show up. But if they do show up, I also hope that they will get raving support and standing ovations from the crowd, including a sea of flags! :)
Please :cheer2: loudly for all of us who can’t be in Montpellier, @Hanna! :)

Maybe Denys Strekalin (Ukrainian-born French pair skater who recently teamed with Océane Piegad) may be in audience too? He posted this photo on Feb. 24: https://www.instagram.com/p/CafoaGbuK16/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information