Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' International Assignments page has yet to be is now updated to add Coupe du Printemps (March 17-19 in Luxembourg) - USA has 4 women's entries listed as of March 6:

Senior:
Starr Andrews (S4)
Ava Ziegler (S9)

Adv. Novice - international debuts for both:
Keira Hilbelink (J2 as a novice; turned 12 in October)
Athena Huang (qualified for ISP as a novice)

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

USFS' International Assignments page has yet to be updated to add Coupe du Printemps (March 17-19 in Luxembourg) - USA has 4 women's entries listed as of March 6:

Senior:
Starr Andrews (S4)
Ava Ziegler (S9)

Adv. Novice - international debuts for both:
Keira Hilbelink (J2 as a novice; turned 12 in October)
Athena Huang (qualified for ISP as a novice)
Well, if you`re going to debut as a 12YO why not in lovely Luxemburg? Can`t imagine how exciting it must be for these youngsters.

bladesofgorey

Honestly the best way and most technical way to tell for sure whether a jump is extremely pre-rotated, under-rotated, on the correct take-off edge, and /or whether a skater is dropping down on the blade for toes jumps (ie: turning flips into loops) is by the jump tracings. In other words judges crawling around the ice on their bellies like the good old days of figures. Remember what a draw that was for the audience at home? Maybe that'll bring the popularity back. ;)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
… like the good old days of figures. Remember what a draw that was for the audience at home? Maybe that'll bring the popularity back. ;)

I went to a LOT of those, esp at US Nationals in very-late ‘70s and through ‘80s. I met many great parents during figures - Debi Thomas’ mom first in my mind! I did less at Worlds…because my mom and I chose to enjoy the host cities during those precious times. Some of our fellow SkateTours fans, however, wouldn’t miss a moment of figures or practices. They missed the countryside tours for figures and practices!!!

Last edited:

Lacey

Great program by Starr, lots of beauty and strength!

Sorry, I am a little lost on finding placements?

Sylvia

TBD
Sorry, I am a little lost on finding placements?
I posted all the Coupe du Printemps final results in the competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section earlier today:

Senior Women:
SILVER Starr ANDREWS USA 180.59 2 3 (64.89 in SP, 115.70 in FS)
BRONZE Ava ZIEGLER USA 173.84 3 2 (57.10 in SP, 116.74 in FS)

Advanced Novice Girls (Team USA debuts for both):
BRONZE Athena HUANG USA 108.21 2 6
4 Keira HILBELINK USA 107.84 4 4

ETA: Athena had the highest PCS in SP & 2nd highest in FS as well as the highest averaged score for Skating Skills in both segments.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Gabriella Izzo just announced on her IG what some of us have speculated was coming since Nats - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp_iCWMrYzc/

NEW THINGS ARE COMING 🙌

Huge thank you to @chris_knierim for an amazing spring break strengthening my pair skills!!!

As much as I have enjoyed my singles career, I am overjoyed to announce and begin my next chapter as a pairs skater!

Looking forward to exploring new partnerships, reaching new heights (literally), and growing through new opportunities💛

Allskate

Congratulations to the US women, all three women are in the top 10 after the short program. Nice accomplishment.
Plus, overall, they are on an upward trajectory. Yes, Amber made a silly mistake on the loop, but that is one of my favorite programs of hers and it was otherwise very well done. Bradie looks so much better than she did earlier in the season, and I wonder if she would have scored slightly better if she skated later. And Isabeau continues to improve her speed and jumps. It's a great start to her first senior worlds.

Jammers

Plus, overall, they are on an upward trajectory. Yes, Amber made a silly mistake on the loop, but that is one of my favorite programs of hers and it was otherwise very well done. Bradie looks so much better than she did earlier in the season, and I wonder if she would have scored slightly better if she skated later. And Isabeau continues to improve her speed and jumps. It's a great start to her first senior worlds.
Isabeau has really improved her speed and flow on the ice i remember when she won US Juniors just a couple of years ago and she was painfully slow. Now if she could just work on her jump takeoffs.

olympic

I love Isabeau, she reminds me of a no-quad Eteri pupil but with actual on-ice presence, a smile, choreo, and artistry -or- Sasha rebooted as a more consistent jumper.

Congrats to Bradie on her major comeback, and just a shout-out to Amber. I love watching her when she lands jumps; she's a power girl

coppertop1

I'm so happy for Bradie. I missed her last season. Isabeau has many wonderful qualities, but her jumping technique does worry me. I do wish the USFSA would tone down the hype and let Isabeau develop before proclaiming her to be ext one. They never seem to learn. Solid debut for Amber.

Sylvia

TBD
Amber's post-SP "quick quotes" (group 1), linked from the ISU's Worlds event page:

My performance today was not terrible. I have had a very difficult couple weeks just leading in – just out of
nowhere accidents and coincidences that could have prevented me from being here, but I made it and held
myself together pretty well. There were some hiccups that I wasn't happy about today, but on to the free
skate. (on the Free Skating) Honestly, same as today, just to keep things together as well as I can, have a
good time, and to throw my best performance out that I can under crazy situations. (about going for the
triple Axel in the free skate) I believe so, it's really hard to say. Yesterday my boot started to give out on me
so right now, it is very difficult for me to push off of my left ankle for my (Axel) takeoffs. I will go to the boot
repair place and see if I can get that fixed.
Hopefully if that’s resolved then, I’ve done thousands of triple
Axels before so I don’t see why not.

AFAIK, Amber hasn't elaborated further "on these last 2 weeks have been a series of unfortunate events" (her tweet after the SP): https://twitter.com/AmberGlenn_/status/1638492726437232640

Sylvia

TBD
TeamUSA.org's feature article on Bradie (March 21): https://www.teamusa.org/News/2023/March/21/Bradie-Tennell-Ive-Grown-Into-Myself
Excerpt from the end:
“I definitely don’t feel like I’ve hit my limit,” she said. “I’m very excited to see what else is in store for me because I feel like I have so much more to give, and I feel like I kind of have a second chance.
“I’ve grown into myself. Some of the things that have plagued me in the past, no longer plague me. My artistry has gotten so much better, because I’ve worked really, really hard on that. And I also think missing the Olympics, and the devastation and all those emotions, has kind of allowed me to broaden my repertoire. I just appreciate what I’m able to do on the ice so much more, and I feel like that gives me a greater emotional base to draw from.”

An extra quote from Bradie in the mixed zone after the SP:
It's been a lot of work mentally as well as physically. I would argue that the mental side of things is much harder than the physical side of things. At the beginning of the year, I had to overcome the fear of picking for a flip and Lutz again or the fear of even landing on my right foot. I would go into a jump and I would be like 'is this the one that's going to make it (injury) happen all over again?' So just climbing over that hurdle, I was proud of that. After I came back (to France) from Four Continents I was so overwhelmingly homesick -- I missed my dog, my brothers, my friends. But the ice is where I belong, I feel at home on the ice, so I can find a little bit of solace in that.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I'm just following scores but a what a good first World's for Isabeau! I know her free wasn't perfect but still, this is her first World's and that comes with a lot of pressure. I know many will whinge that the US women lost a spot but if Isabeau keeps improving and another woman steps up, I don't see that much difficulty in regaining the third spot next year.

Jammers

Isabeau did her part to keep the 3rd spot the girl carried the US women all season and she did it here tonight too she made a couple of mistakes that kept her off the podium but unlike some of our ladies champions in the past when they make a mistake they just collapse Isabeau still fought and showed how tough of a competitor she really is. A 16 in her first Worlds should not have to win to keep 3 spots the other ladies have to do better that that.

VGThuy

Isabeau does have grit and does give off the impression that she doesn't give up on a performance. I think it's okay that the women lost a spot because it's the way the field is at the moment. If the U.S. is meant to have three spots, they'll get it at the next Worlds or two or whatever number. If not, then that's the way it is. The Women's field, even without the Russians, is highly competitive and dense with talent. No shame to anyone because we know skating is hard.

Mugs

This may sound harsh but I think it's time for Bradie and Amber to retire. Neither has made a significant impact on the international scene and the likelihood that either one of them will is slim to none. It's time to let the younger ladies get some experience before the next Olympics.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This may sound harsh but I think it's time for Bradie and Amber to retire. Neither has made a significant impact on the international scene and the likelihood that either one of them will is slim to none. It's time to let the younger ladies get some experience before the next Olympics.
If those women can’t earn the spots, then I don’t see why they should retire. Bradie made tremendous improvements this year, especially when you consider most people were 🙄 that she was even skating in the Grand Prix and then managed to put it together right after that. This was a very off competition and the tight jumps are creeping in. Amber also has proven that she can and will score very well with a strong performance.

Things change so quickly in skating, people always talk like whoever starts building their resume in the first year of the Olympic cycle will still be there in contention 3 years later, and it’s often not the case.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
lol this idea that Bradie and Amber are keeping other skaters from getting experience is laughable like who?? Who has been consistently better than them? no one that's who

But also the 2 spots thing is what it is. They were always going to be on the bubble for 3 anyway.

Stephanie

I'm all for new faces but the US ladies didn't exactly set the world on fire at junior worlds, and only one of those 3 women are even old enough for seniors for the next 2 seasons. Starr, Lindsay, and Ava all have their own limitations or things to work on.

I'm curious as to who will get the second WTT spot. I could see the argument for any one of Amber, Bradie, or Starr although I suspect Bradie will get it.

Carolla5501

So you’re saying the younger ladies can’t beat them so they have to retire so the younger ladies can move up. Do you see a problem with that statement? Because I do.

We’ve already proven that US judges will let the younger ladies beat them. They’re staying in has no impact on the younger ladies having a chance. It’s a competition. It’s not a coronation.😂

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm all for new faces but the US ladies didn't exactly set the world on fire at junior worlds, and only one of those 3 women are even old enough for seniors for the next 2 seasons. Starr, Lindsay, and Ava all have their own limitations or things to work on.

I'm curious as to who will get the second WTT spot. I could see the argument for any one of Amber, Bradie, or Starr although I suspect Bradie will get it.
It goes by WS rankings, I think, per the WTT doc.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

It goes by WS rankings, I think, per the WTT doc.
I was just looking over it to see if it explicitly says so, but it doesn't. It just says teams qualified have the obligation to fulfill their duty and send skaters to compete.

Audrey Shin is second-best in the US rankings, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information