Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
This is an antiquated way of looking at jump layouts. She completed six triple jumps and two double axels here. Without Trimetazidine-fueled Russians in the event, this level of content is competitive internationally. And god knows it's more than enough domestically.

I misunderstood @SkateFanBerlin At first as well. I think he was just mentioning that there were none completed by anyone in the entire women’s event of a challengers series competition

But if Mariah and Ava Marie can score over 130 without it Good on them. And their programs are refreshing

VGThuy

Honestly, with the rule change and temporary absence of the quadsters, 3-3 is most valuable in the sp. In the FS, it makes sense to focus on GOE, transitions and choreo. Just tack on a 2a to one of your triples.
So true. Imagine if the “old guard” at the 2006 Olympics had thought to do that. They would have forgotten about the 3/3 race and started practicing two 2A/3Toe combos in order to fit in 7 triples and 2 2As or maybe even 6 triples and 3 2As when 3 2As were allowed.

sk8nlizard

Doubtful. They love Gracie.
This is not what I heard (at least post stepping away from competitions in 2017). I actually heard quite the opposite, at least when talking about her comeback, not her personally. They have made her qualify through whatever qualifying system has been in place the past 3 years. I am a Gracie fan but I’m also an Ava fan (I like her better than Isabeau and Lindsay). Gracie beat Ava pretty handidly at the Philly competition giving Gracie the invite to Champs Camp. Judging from what was said about Champs Camp and the article that came out about Gracie last week, she won the SA spot by her skating at Champs Camp. Ava isn’t super consistent either and has honestly been fairly mediocre (considering she was on the JGP last season) this season until Budapest. The one thing Gracie has over these others is her name. Whether we agree with it or not, she gets fans in the seats. She’s all over social media when she competes, she’s a draw. It will be interesting to see what they do for Ice Challenge, as I believe entries were due last week (before Budapest). Anyone competing there should get a bye to Nationals as it’s the same week as Sectionals. As of right now, only top 2 scores from each section are guaranteed spots at Nationals. Ava, Gracie, Ting, and Jill currently are competing at the same section unless one or more of them get assigned to Ice Challenge.
ETA - Ava has a 146, 160 and 185
Gracie has a 180, 151 and 138
Granted, one is trending down and the other is trending up, but it’s not like either of these clearly are so far superior from the other.

Last edited:

mtnskater

I’m super excited to see the devine, exquisite Isabeau Levito’s senior Grand Prix debut this week. I think her beautiful skating style is a standout from all the rest. She’s usually a solid competitor too, so I expect her to skate well. It will be fun to see where she places. Good luck Isabeau! :cheer2: (and suck it haterzzz :D :p)

Jammers

Doubtful. They love Gracie.
I love Gracie too but even with not a ton of depth in the US there are US ladies now who have more potential going forward then Gracie. In her prime Gracie is never coming back and it's time to move on. I'd rather they try developing younger skaters like Ava Marie who even without a 3-3 would probably score higher then Gracie now.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I love Gracie too but even with not a ton of depth in the US there are US ladies now who have more potential going forward then Gracie. In her prime Gracie is never coming back and it's time to move on. I'd rather they try developing younger skaters like Ava Marie who even without a 3-3 would probably score higher then Gracie now.

Gracie still has a big p.r. agent, Tara…who is or was Johnny Weir’s agent when his documentaries were made, IIRC.

Last edited:

sk8nlizard

I agree they should develop younger skaters, which they seem to be doing. Yet, none of them are consistently standing out. As far as beating Gracie, maybe, maybe not. Gracie beat Ava by 30+ points at Philly…

On My Own

Honestly, with the rule change and temporary absence of the quadsters, 3-3 is most valuable in the sp. In the FS, it makes sense to focus on GOE, transitions and choreo. Just tack on a 2a to one of your triples.
How would that work?

3Lz+2T+2Lo
3F
3Lo
3F+2T
3T+2A
2A
3S

I guess? Literally Sasha Cohen's Turin LP, except with 3T+2A instead of 3T+3S. Doesn't repeat 3T OR 3S, making sure only one triple is repeated? You very much DO have to do a 3+3 in order to stay competitive outside the US, unless the goal is some GP medals and a trip to the GPF in the current environment (still not guaranteed with the Japanese and Korean women being around).
So true. Imagine if the “old guard” at the 2006 Olympics had thought to do that. They would have forgotten about the 3/3 race and started practicing two 2A/3Toe combos in order to fit in 7 triples and 2 2As or maybe even 6 triples and 3 2As when 3 2As were allowed.
Definitely should have done more 2As (even more than 3 were allowed then), but they were already not doing 3+3s in 2006, apart from Slutskaya and I guess Arakawa was attempting them in practice? Are you talking about Michelle maybe?

Oh and that Georgian woman I've forgotten the name of! Kimmie Meisner's shouldn't really count, it was garbage. But they're not 2006 old guard, nor was Ando if she was doing 3+3s, IDR.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nick McCarvel's article on Gracie Gold (Oct. 18): https://olympics.com/en/news/gracie-gold-2014-olympian-big-goals-comeback-figure-skating
Gold calls out her boyfriend, the British junior-level ice dancer, James Hernandez, 20, as a particular motivator.
“He is just one of my number one advocates and cheerleaders,” Gold said of Hernandez. “He’s such a great source of happiness and motivation for me. He is so full of life and full of energy. And he has been just such a positive force the last year and a half. But he was also a big decider [in the comeback].”
She continued: “He said to me, ‘At least one more season, one more long program at nationals. It just didn't end the way you wanted. And I've seen you on tour and training again and I think you're so capable.’ Here we are.”
:)

VGThuy

How would that work?

3Lz+2T+2Lo
3F
3Lo
3F+2T
3T+2A
2A
3S

I guess? Literally Sasha Cohen's Turin LP, except with 3T+2A instead of 3T+3S. Doesn't repeat 3T OR 3S, making sure only one triple is repeated? You very much DO have to do a 3+3 in order to stay competitive outside the US, unless the goal is some GP medals and a trip to the GPF in the current environment (still not guaranteed with the Japanese and Korean women being around).

Definitely should have done more 2As (even more than 3 were allowed then), but they were already not doing 3+3s in 2006, apart from Slutskaya and I guess Arakawa was attempting them in practice? Are you talking about Michelle maybe?

Oh and that Georgian woman I've forgotten the name of! Kimmie Meisner's shouldn't really count, it was garbage. But they're not 2006 old guard, nor was Ando if she was doing 3+3s, IDR.
Irina and Shizuka were trying to out 3/3 each other. They didn’t end up doing it but they were trying and doing them throughout the season and in practice. Shizuka was even doing 3/3/3s in practices for the judges to see; which I believe helped boost her scores in the SP. Sasha tried to fit in 7 triples by doing a then-punitive 3/3 sequence. Was Sokolova trying them? I guess “old guard” is a loose term for me because I included Ando, Kostner but they debuted as seniors in 2003-04 and 2002-03 respectively. They’ve just had “long” careers that I forgot they were new in 2006. Fumie probably couldn’t do 2A/3T given how her triples has little flow out of them, but an injured Kwan should have tried them…huge emphasis on “uninjured”. Sasha probably should have as well.

Sylvia

TBD
This would be the senior international debut for Clare Seo and give her a bye through next month's Midwestern Sectional Singles Final to Nationals (2 JGPs + 1 Challenger).

This also would be Gracie's 3rd assignment (1 GP, 2 Challengers) and would give her a bye through the Eastern Sectional Singles Final to Nationals.

barbk

I'd prefer that they pick the most competitive skaters for an assignment. Age discrimination is not cool. Potential is potential is potential.

DreamSkates

If Gracie's clean she could be very, very competitive - even internationally. USFS knows that. The problem has always been her consistency. She's getting more consistent again, and did very well this summer.
I would love to see her have a consistent season and be competitive (again) with top skaters this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information