Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamSkates

Thank you @DreamSkates

I certainly don't have money to burn, and would relish seeing every second.

Maybe if Louis was ironing their laundry at home with the event playing on TV in the background and friends drop by unannounced, I would understand.

Considering the big bucks it costs flying, paying for accommodation and buying actual event tickets as well, surely everyone could arrange to meet for dinner afterwards instead. Especially, if they knew how important it was to the person attending the event.

I know I feel be a bit pressured and conflicted if friends decided that they absolutely had to catch up in the middle of competition.

Back in the day when skating was rarely shown on tv and I would videotape everything I could, even if a friend telephoned, I would let the answering machine pick up. In those days without the likes of Youtube and streaming services, you only had one chance to catch it.
I remember those days of videotaping!
BTW I only see figure skating in person when it is a driveable distance which isn’t very often. Flying and paying $$$ per night for hotels - well kudos to those who can and fill the stands with applauding fans and flags to wave!

D

Deleted member 221

Considering the big bucks it costs flying, paying for accommodation and buying actual event tickets as well, surely everyone could arrange to meet for dinner afterwards instead. Especially, if they knew how important it was to the person attending the event.

This is assuming restaurants are open after the event, which is not always the case. People who fly across the world on limited vacation time may decide that they want to see the city that they're in. I remember skipping the first group of men's short program (seeded due to the QR) to go see Berlin during 2004 Worlds on a whirlwind day trip. And I skipped the CDs to see Koln. Given that I was living in the US at the time and had no idea when or if I'd ever be back to Germany, I don't regret that for a second.

If the competition schedule is packed and my only chance to catch up with 20+ year friends I'm lucky to see once every few years is during the event, I'm going to see if we can find a mutually agreeable portion of the comp to skip.

Considering the big bucks, people should do whatever they damn well please on their vacation :lol: even if it's skipping an event or a portion of an event.

I know I feel be a bit pressured and conflicted if friends decided that they absolutely had to catch up in the middle of competition.

Then say no! :lol: At Worlds, I wanted to see Kailani Crane's "Gangsta Paradise," so I left a hangout with friends a bit early.

I'm guessing you'd be one of 'those' people browsing on your phone at the theatre during the middle of a show as well.

Absolutely not, unless it's at intermission. Theatre is different: there's an entire story, a specific policy re: late entrances, and an expectation that you're there for the entire time. Until this thread, I've never heard of the expectation that everyone must watch all skaters (and apparently all disciplines) at an event. People shouldn't be interrupting others during performances, but in between performances, it's perfectly fine to go to one's seat, go to the bathroom, to buy food, or whatever.

hoptoad

Considering the big bucks, people should do whatever they damn well please on their vacation :lol: even if it's skipping an event or a portion of an event.
THIS! I see very few events live, so I really hate to miss anything, and although I like the idea meeting other fsuers, I don't really want to talk or listen to other people talk during the skating. I get to be a blissed out introvert in the crowd. But I assume everyone else is doing what works for them.

It's kind of like ordering food in a restaurant. Just because it came with your meal and you paid for it, it doesn't mean you have to eat it if you don't like it, or it's not good for you, or you are just not hungry for it at the moment.

ETA: . . . but I would love to meet you, really. I'm the one walking around with an actual ziplock bag.

Last edited:

orbitz

The first and only ISU event I've ever attended in person was the 2003 World in D.C., because I lived in the area. I had an all event ticket and attended every event and every practice. Good gawd that was just way too much skating and too much time sitting on my *ss, LOL. It was absolutely not worth it sitting through every compulsory dance (torture) and every low level skater. I guess the one bright side was that I got MK's autograph at one of the practices :). If I ever attend another World with an all event ticket I would never sit through every event again.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

This is assuming restaurants are open after the event, which is not always the case. People who fly across the world on limited vacation time may decide that they want to see the city that they're in. I remember skipping the first group of men's short program (seeded due to the QR) to go see Berlin during 2004 Worlds on a whirlwind day trip. And I skipped the CDs to see Koln. Given that I was living in the US at the time and had no idea when or if I'd ever be back to Germany, I don't regret that for a second.

If the competition schedule is packed and my only chance to catch up with 20+ year friends I'm lucky to see once every few years is during the event, I'm going to see if we can find a mutually agreeable portion of the comp to skip.

Then say no! :lol: At Worlds, I wanted to see Kailani Crane's "Gangsta Paradise," so I left a hangout with friends a bit early.

Absolutely not, unless it's at intermission. Theatre is different: there's an entire story, a specific policy re: late entrances, and an expectation that you're there for the entire time. Until this thread, I've never heard of the expectation that everyone must watch all skaters (and apparently all disciplines) at an event. People shouldn't be interrupting others during performances, but in between performances, it's perfectly fine to go to one's seat, go to the bathroom, to buy food, or whatever.
I don’t think three is an “expectation” just a discussion of choices.

sk8nlizard

I’m not sure where to ask this, but Are skaters ever allowed to protest their levels, under rotations or scores? I assume if somehow something is entered incorrectly or if there is an addition error (which would be weird with computers) then they could get that fixed. But what about jump rotations or levels? I assume that whatever the tech panel decides is the final decision, but I wasn’t sure if it was like tennis where you could ask for them to look again?

Debbie S

I’m not sure where to ask this, but Are skaters ever allowed to protest their levels, under rotations or scores? I assume if somehow something is entered incorrectly or if there is an addition error (which would be weird with computers) then they could get that fixed. But what about jump rotations or levels? I assume that whatever the tech panel decides is the final decision, but I wasn’t sure if it was like tennis where you could ask for them to look again?
No. Underrotations, downgrades, levels, GOEs are considered "field of play" decisions and can't be changed. Coaches can ask for an explanation of a call from the tech panel, though.

The only call that can be changed is an element being called incorrectly, i.e. a triple is called a double, a lutz is called a salchow, etc.

sk8nlizard

No. Underrotations, downgrades, levels, GOEs are considered "field of play" decisions and can't be changed. Coaches can ask for an explanation of a call from the tech panel, though.

The only call that can be changed is an element being called incorrectly, i.e. a triple is called a double, a lutz is called a salchow, etc.
That’s what I figured, but wasn’t positive. Thanks!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You can say what you want about Ambers consistency which by the way I think it’s coming along miles and miles but I don’t understand why her performance score is not a perfect score. Watching both of her programs just now I don’t think her PCS should be that low, I don’t agree with Johnny that she needs to get the respect from the panel until that goes up. A Russian Junior could make her debut on the senior stage and they throw high scores at them. I don’t understand why Amber PCS isn’t as high as Kaori or at least higher than Isabeau

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
You can say what you want about Ambers consistency which by the way I think it’s coming along miles and miles but I don’t understand why her performance score is not a perfect score. Watching both of her programs just now I don’t think her PCS should be that low, I don’t agree with Johnny that she needs to get the respect from the panel until that goes up. A Russian Junior could make her debut on the senior stage and they throw high scores at them. I don’t understand why Amber PCS isn’t as high as Kaori or at least higher than Isabeau
I love Amber to death but she should not match Kaori in PCS. Definitely should be higher than Isabeau though.

On My Own

I don’t understand why Amber PCS isn’t as high as Kaori or at least higher than Isabeau
From my point of view, Kaori has the better programs, and is the better performer too. Far superior skating skills, no questions asked.

Amber does have better skating skills than Isabeau, but not sure I'd give her the better choreography. As a performer, Isabeau does have better positions to offer over Amber, done with more care.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Indeed. Glenn's PCS were accurate, and deservedly well below Sakamoto. However, Levito's component scores were appallingly high, and should have been lower. That long program is juvenile and repetitive, and while she hits some nice classic "baby ballerina" positions, the basic skating and speed is lacking.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
When was the last time at skate America that all the US ladies were in the top five after the short program?
Not including 2020, it's 2007 - coming close three times since, as the third-ranked short program US skater was 6th.

Probably the most famous IJS-days protests were because of outdated computer software that resulted in big changes. In 2013, Amelie Lacoste had initially won the bronze medal at Canadian Nationals but Alaine Chartrand's team protested the scoring of her Euler sequence, IIRC, and while Lacoste was awaiting the victory ceremony, she was notified that she had dropped off the podium. And of course, the Nobunari Oda/Daisuke Takahashi 2006 Nationals situation where Oda initially had the gold medal placement-- and the ticket to Torino.

VGThuy

Not including 2020, it's 2007 - coming close three times since, as the third-ranked short program US skater was 6th.

Probably the most famous IJS-days protests were because of outdated computer software that resulted in big changes. In 2013, Amelie Lacoste had initially won the bronze medal at Canadian Nationals but Alaine Chartrand's team protested the scoring of her Euler sequence, IIRC, and while Lacoste was awaiting the victory ceremony, she was notified that she had dropped off the podium. And of course, the Nobunari Oda/Daisuke Takahashi 2006 Nationals situation where Oda initially had the gold medal placement-- and the ticket to Torino.
Both situations...OUCH!

SkateFanBerlin

Amber had a great SkAm, but I find the skating choppy, bits not connected. Hendrick shows beautiful womanly skating. That gets the kind of PCS talked about here.

euterpe

Amber "relates" to whiny pop ballads because they are basically about her. But limiting her musical choices to that type of music won't help her PCS scores--judges are mostly over 50 and I doubt they enjoy listening to pop ballads. She needs to show more versatility by skating to different kinds of music.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Amber had a great SkAm, but I find the skating choppy, bits not connected. Hendrick shows beautiful womanly skating. That gets the kind of PCS talked about here.

You know I was just in your city. Left yesterday. Had I known you had this sentiment i could’ve came over and Taken u for a lovely coffee or beer while I explained how great Amber is.

I love Loena as well

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Lindsay is behind both Eva Marie and Starr? Wow.

I was able to see Ava Marie program and it was fabulous, I hope I can find a way to see the other two

Lacey

Ava Marie's skating was not only gorgeous & musical, it was very very strong & fluid.

I'm not talking about what jumps she landed or not, I am talking about how she moves beautifully and strongly across the ice throughout her whole program, seemingly with no effort--just naturally!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information