U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Keenan Prochnow decided to retire. Laiken's looking for a new partner.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

I can't say that I thought this partnership had a chance of going much further based on what I saw at Nationals. It was a struggle to watch them get through the elements and felt like they were no longer a well-matched team - which often happens as junior teams grow into the senior ranks.

aml78

Very very disappointed in the news of Calalang and Johnson withdrawal. I really really like them and was so exited to finally see them at Worlds. Debuting at the Olympics never having skated at Worlds will present challenges...assuming they even make the Olympic team. This withdrawal could really affect their momentum going into next year. But I’m still very much behind them. And hope they aren’t splitting. Hopefully we will eventually hear what is going on. Wishing the best for them.
I think they know this has the potential to really hurt their momentum. They must have had a really good reason for withdrawing. I am guessing this was not a decision they came to easily and without a lot of careful consideration.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
K/F is taking over USFSA's Instagram stories today, and they just posted a video of C/J practicing a death spiral. So whatever is going on they are at least able to still get some ice time in.

blue_idealist

I think they know this has the potential to really hurt their momentum. They must have had a really good reason for withdrawing. I am guessing this was not a decision they came to easily and without a lot of careful consideration.
Yeah, they are missing the Worlds this time and they also missed it last year due to the cancellation. I hope they qualify again or they'll have missed all their chances to go.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Yeah, they are missing the Worlds this time and they also missed it last year due to the cancellation. I hope they qualify again or they'll have missed all their chances to go.
Were they on the team last year? I thought there was a lot of snarking on here as they weren’t selected. I could be wrong :)

Sylvia

TBD

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMEGClihjUr/?igshid=pzkabhf40ir1
Keenan has posted his own message: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMjKnO8AsCZ/
Excerpt:
I have decided to take some time away from competitive skating, I needed a break to work on my physical and mental health and remember why I love to skate again. If I find that love and passion, I don’t see why I wouldn’t come back to competing again.
Just noticed that USFS is archiving their "Countdown to Worlds 2021" Instagram story takeovers that began last week - Ashley/Timothy's takeover comes after Bradie's and Alexa/Brandon's after Jason's: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17874210929222964/

Sylvia

TBD
Cate Fleming split from Jedidiah Isbell (they made their international debut together at the 2020 Youth Olympic Games in Lausanne where they won the team event silver medal & then won the 2020 U.S. Junior Pairs pewter medal) after the ISP Points Challenge this past fall.

Chase competed with Megan Voigt in Junior Pairs last year but they did not qualify for 2021 U.S. Nationals. He's the older brother of Kate Finster who, last I heard, is based in Irvine, CA and looking for a partner.

ETA:

Two other pairs training at Great Park Ice in Irvine, CA were announced recently as well (both Junior level?):
Ashley Stark and Nathan Rensing: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMVujpIrW4X/
Ashley Fletcher and Aidan Brown: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMc7SYJLOx_/

Fletcher/Brown and Fleming/Finster posing in side-by-side lifts outside on St. Patrick' Day: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMiWKqFr-xl/

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Another article about Cain-Gribble/LeDuc:

Ship-Shape for Sweden

“When we did get the call to compete,” Leduc recalled, “there wasn’t any fear or panic. We knew we were trained; we knew we were ready. So it was just a feeling of pure excitement that we had this opportunity.”

Cain-Gribble said, “I think what this year has reminded us is that we won’t be doing this forever.”
She added, “Yes, we could lace up our skates whenever we want and go out on an ice surface and lose ourselves in whatever we’re doing. But to train at this elite level and to compete at this level has an expiration date. This year has shown us we should take advantage of that and get the most out of our time together."

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I am disappointed our pairs faltered in the long program after being in prime position to earn our coveted third spot.

It is particularly distressing Knierim+partner failed to deliver under pressure. Had they duplicated their domestic performances in Stockholm,they would have placed within the top 5 and established themselves as a medal contender next season.

Gribble+Leduc lack the technical ability to back up the excessive theatrics and flamboyance of which they are so fond. I find their costuming and choreography relatively garish to other teams.

-BB

olympic

I am disappointed our pairs faltered in the long program after being in prime position to earn our coveted third spot.

It is particularly distressing Knierim+partner failed to deliver under pressure. Had they duplicated their domestic performances in Stockholm,they would have placed within the top 5 and established themselves as a medal contender next season.

Gribble+Leduc lack the technical ability to back up the excessive theatrics and flamboyance of which they are so fond. I find their costuming and choreography relatively garish to other teams.

-BB
Tim is quite a flamboyant homosexual

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I think if you'd told me a year ago we'd have two teams comfortably in the top 10 and easily secure two spots, I'd be thrilled. Expectations for K/F were too high. They're new. Give them time.
I don't know that the expectations were "too high" based on what we saw out of them at US Nats, but I think there was an incredible amount of pressure to live up to those expectations in a very odd season with very little opportunity for most skaters (and none of the US ones) to compete internationally. They did great! And major kudos to C-G/L for also maintaining their Worlds standing.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Tim is quite a flamboyant homosexual
I have been discretely informed their preference is to be referred to as simply gay. However,my remark had nothing to do with your perception of Mr. Leduc's sexuality,but rather the excessive theatrics of this team before and during their programs. I prefer honest, pure skating that doesn't rely on flashy gimmicks and costuming.

As for K+F perhaps my expectations were too high. But they were stellar at both their events this season,so I think these elevated expectations were warranted to some extent.

-BB

Last edited:

olympic

I have been discretely informed their preference is to be referred to as simply gay. However,my remark had nothing to do with your perception of Mr. Leduc's sexuality,but rather the excessive theatrics of this team before and during their programs. I prefer honest, pure skating that doesn't rely on flashy gimmicks and costuming.

As for K+F perhaps my expectations were too high. But they were stellar at both their events this season,so I think these elevated expectations were warranted to some extent.

-BB
Touche, hon!

Erin

Banned Member

-BB

Brenda, I want to commend you for being so openminded and willing to change your language on receiving that advice. (Although, just a little note that discrete means separate and discreet means private...I think you meant the latter?)

I appreciate how straightforward you are in your critiques, but I think that you are not alone in expecting too much from US pairs. It seems to be a common theme amongst the USAmericans here. Perhaps I could recommend that should become a fan of Canadian ladies, where we expect little and are elated at a thirteenth place finish.

Carolla5501

Anyone who thought we were going to do any better than we did needs to have a reality check. This is US pairs. This has been US pairs.

Heck this was great - at least both pairs made the long program. Remember the last time Brandon went to worlds?

Sylvia

TBD
Lu/Mitrofanov practicing throw quad loop on the pole harness: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNK8OO9A8kH/

Junior champs Smirnova/Siianytsia working on quad twist off ice: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMshRXtgPHD/

Maybe I should cross-post these clips in this thread? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information