U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

maureenfarone

I didn't see Pfund/Santillan in the qualifying competition videos released yesterday. Are they still trying to skate for Switzerland? I expected to see them try for 2021 Nationals.

Carolla5501

In their post announcing the switch to Switzerland, they said they would not be competing at U.S. Nationals.

And that blog post is one reason that I am INCREDIBLY hesitant to support USFS. They don't want to support these kids but they want to control them. Sorry, but giving money to an organization that treats people this way.. Uh NO!

Sylvia

TBD
Qualifying free skates can be watched by Peacock Premium subscribers for the following Senior Pairs (all 6 teams qualify for 2021 Nationals) - in skate order:

Sarah Burden/Matthew Rounis (new)
Emily Chan/Spencer Howe
Laiken Lockley/Keenan Prochnow
Evelyn Grace Hanns/Jim Garbutt (6th in Junior at the Pairs Final in Nov. 2019 but WD from 2020 Nationals)
Winter Deardorff/Mikhail Johnson
Brynne McIsaac/Mark Sadusky

Type "Sr. Pairs' Free Skate 1" in the search box.
Chan/Howe (7th at Skate America in their Team USA debut) and Deardorff/Johnson (2020 U.S. Junior bronze medalists/13th at Jr. Worlds) are the 2 senior pairs currently in the ISP.

ETA link to the competition thread started in Kiss & Cry post with spoiler scores/placements: 2021 USFS Championship Series (virtual qualifying competition for 2021 US Nationals)
USFS published the list of 2021 Nationals qualifiers today - copying out all the teams/clubs but NOT posting the qualifying competition results/scores here (using the competition thread in Kiss & Cry for that purpose).

Championship Pairs (12)
Sarah Burden (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Matthew Rounis (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Jessica Calalang (DuPage FSC) and Brian Johnson (Detroit SC, Inc.) BYE-S2 at 2020 Nationals
Ashley Cain-Gribble (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Timothy LeDuc (Los Angeles FSC) BYE-S4
Emily Chan (The Skating Club of Boston) and Spencer Howe (The Skating Club of Boston)
Winter Deardorff (Northern Kentucky SC) and Mikhail Johnson (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Evelyn Grace Hanns (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Jim Garbutt (Champions' Edge SC)
Alexa Knierim (DuPage FSC) and Brandon Frazier (All Year FSC) BYE-ISP PC
Laiken Lockley (DuPage FSC) and Keenan Prochnow (DuPage FSC)
Audrey Lu (The Skating Club of Boston) and Misha Mitrofanov (The Skating Club of Boston) BYE-ISP PC
Katie McBeath (Winterhurst FSC) and Nathan Bartholomay (Southwest Florida FSC) BYE-ISP PC
Brynne McIsaac (Los Angeles FSC) and Mark Sadusky (St. Moritz ISC, Inc.)
Olivia Serafini (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Mervin Tran (The SC of New York, Inc.) BYE-ISP PC

Junior Pairs (10)
Haley Conrad (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Kristofer Ogren (Kansas City FSC) - new
Sydney Cooke (Elite Edge Skating Club) and Keyton Bearinger (Detroit SC, Inc.) - new
Isabelle Martins (Chicago FSC) and Ryan Bedard (Northern Ice SC) - J5/in ISP
Valentina Plazas (Panthers FSC, Inc.) and Maximiliano Fernandez (Arctic FSC) - new
Aleksandra Prudsky (The SC of Houston) and Daniel Tioumentsev (Dallas FSC, Inc.) - new/in ISP
Juliette Reed (Skokie Valley SC) and Jordan Gillette (Skokie Valley SC) - N4 at Pairs Final
Catherine Rivers (Knoxville FSC) and Timmy Chapman (Central Florida FSC) - new/in ISP
Anastasiia Smirnova (Yarmouth Ice Club, Inc.) and Danil Siianytsia (All Year FSC) - J2/in ISP

Listed as WD in the Junior results: Haley Scott/Nick Hubbart (new team in ISP)

Last edited:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Question- Isn’t it tough to gain Swiss citizenship?
Yes I think so. I took their blog to mean they were giving up on the Olympics in the hope of qualifying for other events - presumably GP events, Euros, Worlds. So presumably he doesn’t need to try for Citizenship.

I wish them well, I admire their honesty, if it doesn’t work out with Switzerland I don’t rate their chances of scoring well in the US after saying all of that! Good for them though, I don’t remember the scoring situation at Nationals but the situation sounds all too familiar.

olympic

What is interesting about P/S is that they have shown significant improvement and are a US pair that does a decent job on the SBS jumps. Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but they could have been one of those sleeper pairs that moved up in the US, especially considering that teams like K/O and D/F have disbanded

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Question- Isn’t it tough to gain Swiss citizenship?
Very. Swiss citizenship is about as easy to get as the password to some billionaire's Swiss account.

Do they both have Swiss passports?

Last edited:

Bob Mc

Very. Swiss citizenship is about as easy to get as the password to some billionaire's Swiss account.

Do they both have Swiss passports?
Jess has the Swiss family background.. she is the only one with the Swiss citizenship.

Reactions: jkl

skylark

OK. She actually has citizenship. Maybe, they can marry or something ....
Yeah, well ... I have a friend who's been married 10 years or more to a Swiss-born citizen. It took him about 7 years to get his Swiss citizenship. After they were married.

But I agree that Jessica and Josh will really enjoy and benefit from the chance to compete in a lot of international events aside from the Olympics! I for one will really enjoy the chance to see more of them at more competitions. Even with K/O and D/F (not to mention K/K) breaking up, there are currently 3 very solid US teams consistently ahead of them (C-G/L, K/F and C/J), so with hopefully 2, or even optimistically 3 teams to go to the Olympics, P/S were ... a pair who could have moved up at any time. But they made their decision awhile ago, before K/O split.

I'm really happy for Jessica and Josh and wish them all the best! Josh has wonderful presence on the ice.

Carolla5501

What is interesting about P/S is that they have shown significant improvement and are a US pair that does a decent job on the SBS jumps. Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but they could have been one of those sleeper pairs that moved up in the US, especially considering that teams like K/O and D/F have disbanded
No, I think they’re right. They weren’t chosen, US figure skating unfortunately chooses who they like when it comes to pairs. We’ve seen it several times. If USFS does not like you even if you skate well you don’t get sent to BIG events, the politicking seems to be worse than in singles, or possibly even dance

pairskatingfan

^^ While I think we can all agree that there are politics involved, I don’t think it’s possible to have worse politicking than in dance.

By the way, is there somewhere to view the full results of the national qualifier/ see the protocols?

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
"Five Things - Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy LeDuc" (USFS' latest IGTV video): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIjjis5AL2c/
Also available to watch on USFS' YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQA7JrBWu9A

LeDuc shared this practice clip yesterday on his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNYfvqipaA/

Cross-posting this Fan Zone friendship article here & in the U.S. Ladies thread:

LL22

^^ While I think we can all agree that there are politics involved, I don’t think it’s possible to have worse politicking than in dance.

By the way, is there somewhere to view the full results of the national qualifier/ see the protocols?
Lol, dance is the worst! However, there are usually no falls, pops or hands down to differentiate a placement. You are definitely right, Dance is another world.

Carolla5501

Lol, dance is the worst! However, there are usually no falls, pops or hands down to differentiate a placement. You are definitely right, Dance is another world.
Oh as far as dance goes they can probably just go ahead and hand out the US national awards now. They made up their mind. They made them up without even seeing the skaters. The only possible teams they need to see are C/B and H/D, but the rest of them are already slotted

I’m not sure how much of its politicking and how much of it’s just laziness.

Sylvia

TBD
Jessica Calalang is featured in episode 14 of the Beyond The Rink podcast (Dec. 28):
Jessica Calalang is the 2020 US Championship Silver Medalist with her partner Brian Johnson. Coming to us from sunny Southern California Jessica recaps her 2020 for us, her humble beginnings and how the transition to pairs came to be. She talks about her journey with Brian as well as past pairs partners and shares some insight on what the future holds. Enjoy our last episode of 2020!
ETA that I believe Jessica was talking about -- after the 43-minute mark of the podcast -- my tweeted fan cam video clip of the end of their fabulous Nationals free skate. :cool:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Posted in this thread back in September:
A little update on a former U.S. pairs skater. Some of you will remember Caitlin Fields, who was the 2015 junior national pairs champion with Ernie Utah Stevens. Per her Facebook, she is now pursuing a doctoral degree in clinical psychology at Midwestern University. Good to see her moving on and finding new interests!
What a happy way to end 2020 - Caitlin and (retired?) Canadian pair skater Francis Boudreau-Audet are engaged! :) He posted these proposal photos tonight: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJe71voJuOM/

Sylvia

TBD
Featured on the cover of the Jan. 8, 2021 issue of the Dallas Voice: https://dallasvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Dallas-Voice-01-08-21.pdf

Article by Coy Covington:

ETA:
LeDuc shared this practice clip yesterday on his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNYfvqipaA/
2 more C-G/L practice clips: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJhKWJeC8dc/ & https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1LD9WC1P9/

Last edited:

olympic

Featured on the cover of the Jan. 8, 2021 issue of the Dallas Voice: https://dallasvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Dallas-Voice-01-08-21.pdf

Article by Coy Covington:

ETA:

2 more C-G/L practice clips: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJhKWJeC8dc/ & https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1LD9WC1P9/
Don't know if it's the black, but Tim looks fitter than in the past year or two!

Josh78

I haven't seen anything online about Allison T. & Justin H-B since they went to Florida for choreography in early March (pre-p*ndemic).

Are they still in Florida? Did they vanish back into the real-world ether due to world events?

Sylvia

TBD
Are they still in Florida?
Timlen/Highgate-Brutman trained in the Boston area (Boston Sport Institute in Wellesley, Mass.) with Bobby Martin but the last thing I saw posted about them on social media was dated April 2020.

2 Knierim/Frazier pre-Nationals articles (first one is by Lynn Rutherford, second by Nick McCarvel):

AKA

Timlen/Highgate-Brutman trained in the Boston area (Boston Sport Institute in Wellesley, Mass.) with Bobby Martin but the last thing I saw posted about them on social media was dated April 2020.

2 Knierim/Frazier pre-Nationals articles (first one is by Lynn Rutherford, second by Nick McCarvel):

PairSkater12345

US Nationals: Take aways from the Pairs Short program

The new team in town is the best and will dominate.

The old fallacy that "it takes a team a few years to Jell" is nonsense if the individuals have the skills and experience and compatibility.

The up and coming "great hope" from the same camp in CA, still can't jump. USFSA put a lot of propaganda into that team. They finished second last year on an amazing short problem and not much since.

The team from Dallas in wobbly and on their last legs. The guy doesn't train. They still can't jump consistently and there's nothing new in their elements.

The team in third is the one to watch. They are getting better every competition. They are consistent with their jumps. Need more polish and experience. They will grow and be the best team in the US in Two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information