U.S. Pairs 2019-20 season - News & Updates, Part X

aftershocks

Banned Member
I vote for Enbert if he’s the Russian with US citizenship (and no partner.). Alexa just needs a strong and technically skilled partner, she’ll provide the flash.

Exactly what @Michalle said above.

The Russian skater with U.S. citizenship (and a former partner of Zabijako's), as noted in the other thread, is Sasha Zaboev. There are links in the other thread to some of Zaboev's on-ice performances and training practices with Zabijako (posted on Youtube by Zaboev).

ETA:
I hadn't heard about Zabijako/Enbert retiring, but I knew he had health issues. I suppose they also feel lucky to have reached the Worlds podium in a transitional year (2019 bronze). It was unlikely to happen for them again.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Terrible idea. Calalang/Johnson look great together, were clearly meant to be, and are just getting going. They remind me of sale/pelletier a little

Right. It makes no sense to include Brian Johnson on anyone's random 'short list' for partnering with Alexa! Brian just partnered with Jessica over a year ago, and magic happened. They are a team on-the-rise, so floating his name would be fairly ridiculous. OTOH, perhaps @skylark intended her comment sarcastically, since @kirkbiggestfan's short list seems to include every U.S. pairs guy, all of whom are already taken, along with a Canadian guy who is clearly taken and another Canadian guy who has no pairs experience. Also, to be realistic, Alexa is surely not pairing with anyone who has citizenship issues.

I don't really see a Sale/Pelletier vibe personality-wise or physicality-wise with Calalang/Johnson, but ability-wise and in terms of pairing up and immediately showing promise, ITA.

skylark

Terrible idea. Calalang/Johnson look great together, were clearly meant to be, and are just getting going. They remind me of sale/pelletier a little

Well, I believe Cain/Leduc look great together, were clearly meant to be, and are hitting their stride going forward. They had all the US pairs chasing them this year, so it wouldn't be surprising if they felt the pressure of that. They did have a challenging season this year, and they're resolved to learn from it and use it in the future.

Also, my personal view is that Ashley and Tim provide a wonderful contrast to the talents, strengths, and "looks" of the pairs that have become traditional in the last 30 years or so. I love their lines, their commitment to their choreography and music; and I love the fact that they chose from the beginning to make their height and statuesque, complementary styles an advantage. They're also compelling and charismatic. That's even more apparent in person.

I was speaking a little tongue in cheek in querying why Brian Johnson wasn't on the short list of pairs men who should be considered for Alexa. I don't really want to see any of our existing, committed, high-level pairs split up for Alexa, although I wish her well in her search. The US has made great strides in building depth in pairs, since Moyer suggested tryouts for Cain and Leduc, and for Stellato and Bartholomay. But this is a good place for speculating and dreaming, and as a new member and longer lurker, I appreciate that everyone's encouraged to say their thoughts and feelings here.

Pastilage

Omg! Me too! They remind me so much of S/P. Their mannerisms are so much the same as is the way they move.

No way would that team split, especially now.

skylark

Omg! Me too! They remind me so much of S/P. Their mannerisms are so much the same as is the way they move.

No way would that team split, especially now.

I don't think so either. I love Jessica and Brian together. I also love Ashley and Tim together, and Haven and Brandon together. The original "short list" that I was responding to included all the top US pair men except Brian. That's all I was saying. Sorry to have created so much outrage around here.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... They remind me so much of S/P. Their mannerisms are so much the same as is the way they move.

Some similarities to Sale/Pelletier, sure, but methinks Calalang/Johnson's mannerisms and skating styles are
very much their own. And their path in the sport is being blazed in their own very unique way! :encore:

Sorry to have created so much outrage around here.

No worries. A lot of people are acting outraged and OTT about posts in both threads re the Knierims' news...

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Sale/Pelltier observations by @haribobo and @Pastilage had me taking a visit down Youtube memory lane. This is one of my fave programs by S/P:

C/J's Warsaw Cup fp:

I can see why you guys feel these two pairs teams are similar. It's there in the respective lyrical qualities, the speed, superb lifts and lovely death spirals. While Jessica and Jamie seem to have a similar physicality and grace, David and Brian are not that similar physically, but they are both very strong male partners. There's also a bit of similarity in these two couples' on-ice connection and in how quickly their partnerships took off, which is rare. It's as if for both couples, they were meant to skate with each other. Like magic!

Still, they all have very different, unique personalities, goals and interests. Plus, their journeys in the sport are obviously different, they have varied backgrounds, and their jump techniques are different. As well, today's era is quite unique in many ways. Albeit that C/J's current fp has a beautiful simplicity that somewhat echoes the gorgeous choreo of S/P's fp to Rachmaninoff's Adagio Sostenuto (nicknamed 'Orchid').

As C/J progress in today's era, they will need to organically increase choreographic complexity, as long as it makes sense to their music selection and overall program themes/concepts. C/J have already shown an ability to tackle and excel at different genres (witness their 2019 U.S. Nats sp and fp vs this season's programs). Needless to say, C/J's costumes this season are quite enhancing and award-worthy. :D

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I think its sad that their programs aren't on youtube either, but its the world we live in now. Not some USFS konspiracy. Take up the issue with Calum Scott's people....

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I've never seen where anyone suggested a USFS conspiracy. That's ridiculous to even suggest. It may be more along the lines of the music rights problema, but I was simply wondering why? Is it because NBC is a huge network and what they would post is more prominent and thus they are more liable for copyright shizz? I just thought if it's the music rights, wouldn't the other videos also either not have been posted or the music muted? Not that I want that to happen with the few C/J fp videos we see up.

It would be helpful if NBC Gold posted easily accessible full U.S. Nats program video highlights in their archived content. But they are so lame, they can't be bothered.

Jammers

^^ I've never seen where anyone suggested a USFS conspiracy. That's ridiculous to even suggest. It may be more along the lines of the music rights problema, but I was simply wondering why? Is it because NBC is a huge network and what they would post is more prominent and thus they are more liable for copyright shizz? I just thought if it's the music rights, wouldn't the other videos also either not have been posted or the music muted? Not that I want that to happen with the few C/J fp videos we see up.

It would be helpful if NBC Gold posted easily accessible full U.S. Nats program video highlights in their archived content. But they are so lame, they can't be bothered.
It's really not that hard to find the full event replay on NBC Gold and then search for whatever skater or team you want to watch.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's really not that hard to find the full event replay on NBC Gold and then search for whatever skater or team you want to watch.

You state the obvious, but only for those with NBC Gold subscription packages.

Although it ain't that hard to find (pssst: C/J's fp at U.S. Nats starts at about 2:20:19 on NBC Gold archived pairs fp full event replay), please note that well-curated video highlights of the best performances, as IceNetwork used to provide, are way more handily convenient and fan-friendly. :watch:

Dobre

Although it ain't that hard to find (pssst: C/J's fp at U.S. Nats starts at about 2:20:19 on NBC Gold archived pairs fp full event replay), please note that well-curated video highlights of the best performances, as IceNetwork used to provide, are way more handily convenient and fan-friendly. :watch:

I didn't like them because they gave away who the medalists were.

yeslek

Then they probably need music without copyright issues.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I didn't like them because they gave away who the medalists were.

Oh yeah, sure. If I hadn't watched the live event streams in real time on IceNetwork, and I didn't want to be spoiled, I always skipped past the highlight videos. But it was definitely cool to have those highlight videos available when I wished to revisit particular programs. :)

Then they probably need music without copyright issues.

I'm not sure what you mean?

aftershocks

Banned Member
IceTalk with Jackie Wong and Nick McCarvel has a couple of recent episodes in which they excerpt separate interviews with Calalang/Johnson and the Knierims:

Above is a link to the general page where the episodes are available to be listened to individually.

C/J are interviewed at the end of the 'Previewing Four Continents...' episode. The Knierims are interviewed at the end of the latest episode, 'Ice Talk is Back After Our Winter Hibernation...' In the latter episode, Nick and Jackie also preview World Junior FS championships, and Jackie talks to Ted Barton and Andrew Torgashev.

pairskatingfan

Not the greatest showing by American pairs at junior worlds. I think all 3 may be moving up to seniors? Anastasia and Daniil could be in for another year of junior though, they skated not badly, but they need to develop more elements.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Perhaps Alexa and Balász Nagy might work? He has dual Hungarian and US citizenship. I like his partnering style. Kate Finster turned 16 in December. Maybe her best bet is to get a new partner and stay longer in juniors than she could with Balász?

PairSkater12345

Perhaps Alexa and Balász Nagy might work? He has dual Hungarian and US citizenship. I like his partnering style. Kate Finster turned 16 in December. Maybe her best bet is to get a new partner and stay longer in juniors than she could with Balász?
Sorry Doris, I don't think that would happen. Alexa is looking for a seasoned pairs guy as a partner where quick synergy
and senior level skills are already there. Alexa has (at most) two years to retirement. I don't know why Bal'asz would even consider that kind of risk. Alexa could quit at the drop of a hat. The coaches federation would discourage it as well.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Too bad. I think that pair is the only one where a split might benefit both partners and Alexa too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information