U.S. Pairs 2019-20 season - News & Updates, Part X

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ At least the article indicates Tai & Randy were both back in Lake Placid in 2005 for a previous celebration during which they had the chance to skate a performance together on the ice where 25 years before their hopes had been grievously dashed. Who knows why Randy couldn't be there again recently (another 15 years later)? Perhaps he had closure and didn't wish to return, or he had a conflict, or whatever. As Tai said, we should "respect his choices." It's nice that Tai returned again and has said she's at peace, and testified that "things happen for a reason."

I love Tai/Randy! I vividly remember their younger days/ our younger days in the 1970s. Shelley/ Starbuck and especially Tai&Randy are the reason for and the essence of my original passion for pairs skating. For me, back then, my love for skating and for watching pairs was all bright, shiny, new and special.

The inspiration for the title of the general pairs thread in Trash Can:

I had the delightful opportunity to meet Tai & Randy at a COI event in 1993. Randy was very sweet and kind. I got my picture taken with him. Tai was swarmed, as she was signing autographs for a lot of young fans, so I didn't get to say much to her. My impression at the time was that Tai seemed emotionally preoccupied and closed off. She was likely tired after the show and she was perhaps just trying to get through signing the autographs.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

Aww, I missed this story. What was it about?

Jeez are they fragile. How many injuries have they had?

But, this blog is not really about injuries...

Of course, Pfund/Santillan have experienced a number of injuries in recent seasons. However, in this particular post, Josh only briefly mentions some issues they've both had with tendonitis (overuse injury), and how he overcame his problems by checking out a therapy regimen online, since they don't have the resources to spend on medical treatments and procedures such as MRIs. Josh went with the doctor's general diagnosis, but he had to forego getting an MRI. Luckily, the online treatment regimen Josh followed seemed to work, and he expresses gratitude that both he and Jessica are the healthiest they've been in awhile. ♥

This blog post is also about Josh experiencing the loss of his grandfather, and how glad he is to have been able to see his grandfather the day before his grandfather passed away. :saint: Plus, Josh is buoyed and inspired by his grandfather's words of wisdom to keep pursuing his dreams and going after what makes him happy.

Mostly, this blog post sweetly and delightfully traces J&J's recent competitive events, particularly 2020 U.S. Nationals. With better health, Josh & Jessica have been able to train more up to speed, which has been a boon for them. Far from being fragile, I would characterize these exemplary young skaters and athletes as 'resilient.' :respec:

How much further they could go, and how much more they could improve with better resources and funding! If I was able, I'd fund the entire approximately $9,600 additional they are currently short of having reached on their GoFundMe page:

Passionate, indefatigable young skaters like Josh & Jessica epitomize the determined spirit and the prodigious talent that at its essence, makes figure skating so special and worthwhile.

Last edited:

olympic

Aww, I missed this story. What was it about?

But, this blog is not really about injuries...

Of course, they've experienced a number of injuries in recent seasons. However, in this particular post, Josh only briefly mentions some issues they've both had with tendonitis (overuse injury), and how he overcame his problems by checking out a therapy regimen online, since they don't have the resources to spend on medical treatments and procedures such as MRIs. Josh went with the doctor's general diagnosis, but he had to forego getting an MRI. Luckily, the online treatment regimen Josh followed seemed to work, and he expresses gratitude that both he and Jessica are the healthiest they've been in awhile. ♥

This blog post is also about Josh experiencing the loss of his grandfather, and how glad he is to have been able to see his grandfather the day before his grandfather passed away. :saint: Plus, Josh is buoyed and inspired by his grandfather's words of wisdom to keep pursuing his dreams and going after what makes him happy.

Mostly, this blog post sweetly and delightfully traces J&J's recent competitive events, particularly 2020 U.S. Nationals. With better health, Josh & Jessica have been able to train more up to speed, which has been a boon for them. Far from being fragile, I would characterize these exemplary young skaters and athletes as 'resilient.' :respec:

How much further they could go, and how much more they could improve with better resources and funding! If I was able, I'd fund the entire approximately $9,600 additional they are currently short of having reached on their GoFundMe page:

Passionate, indefatigable young skaters like Josh & Jessica epitomize the determined spirit and the prodigious talent that at its essence, makes figure skating so special and worthwhile.

But it mentioned a lot of injuries. That is why I posted what I did. That's all

aftershocks

Banned Member
But it mentioned a lot of injuries. That is why I posted what I did. That's all

Past blog posts discuss the injuries Pfund/Santillan have experienced in recent seasons. This particular blog post only mentions the tendonitis they've both been hampered with, and of course references past injuries very briefly. This blog post's main focus is centered around their gratitude for being the healthiest they've been in awhile, and it also emphasizes their happiness in being able to compete at 2020 U.S. Nationals, since they weren't able to compete last year. Overlaying it all is thankfulness for where they're at now and for their ability to pursue their passion for figure skating.

I think Joshica's previous couple of blog posts were the ones that addressed some of their injuries in detail. I only point this out for clarification because your initial comment made me fear the worst before I clicked on the link and read the current post. Thanks for sharing the link. :)

ETA:
It might be more difficult for athletes to withstand injuries when they don't have access to resources enabling them to receive more dedicated medical attention, physical and rehab therapy, as well as training strategies for injury prevention. Having to work a lot of hours to fund their training likely disrupts their training and workout schedules.

And yet, Josh & Jessica persevere through the trials and tribulations with joy, gratitude, and a sense of purpose. I admire their fortitude, and I enjoy watching them. I wish they could receive sufficient funding to be able to afford more dedicated training, which would surely provide them the opportunity to improve and to flourish.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wonder why Randy Gardner chose not to be there? Sad. I got his autograph many years ago when he was performing along with Scott Hamilton in their "Broadway On Ice" show. Very nice guy. I'm sure Tai is a lovely person too!

Blumberg and Siebert also skipped the reunion. 😢

pairskatingfan

Is there any video or results link for Challenge Cup? I'm all for our middle of the pack teams doing well. Who knows, maybe we will be like a mini Russia one day, where even our lower ranked teams can do well.

Liu/ Mitrofanov got an assignment after nationals, what about Serifini/ Tran, anything for them?

Great comments about Pfund/ Santillan's blog, Aftershocks. Did you see the video he posted also? A compilation of their elements from all their programs, some of which I totally forgot about! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Jht568ryY

I wish these two luck with staying healthy, they can do a lot of great things. We need everyone on Team USA healthy so that we can bring the US back onto the World podium eventually :D

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information