U.S. Pairs 2018-19 season - News & Updates, Part IX

Carolla5501

Does anyone have any actual references for this? I remember interviews after 2014 where both Simon and Marissa acknowledged that she sat them down and said she wanted to pursue a different partnership. I do not remember her every saying it was because Simon was going to retire. I also don't remember her "bad-mouthing" Simon, just saying that they were both headstrong and did not always get along, especially the first few years.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ving-on-with-new-partners-20150122-story.html

"So they became the first pairs skaters anyone can remember to have come to nationals with different partners a year after being the top U.S. team at an Olympics. "

"Castelli, 24, was the one who had said, "enough."
"Every day just wasn’t enjoyable," she said. "We were more of a business partnership." "

mackiecat

Looks like Pairs centers are in Vogue in the USA. Time To join forces (with another pairs group) and create another center that has the full support system to compete with Colorado and CA. IMHO.
They need to have a pairs & singles centre. That way strong singles skaters can go into pair without leaving their training centre

aftershocks

Banned Member
Looks like Pairs centers are in Vogue in the USA. Time To join forces (with another pairs group) and create another center that has the full support system to compete with Colorado and CA. IMHO.

It's up to everyone to decide what's going to work best for them as coaches and for their skaters. Frankly, I think it was John Zimmerman who had a broad vision about putting together a collaborative coaching team in a state-of-the-art training center way before U.S. fed has now gotten on board with how that concept might work. But I don't know if members of U.S. fed are truly looking at this in a comprehensive long-term way, or if they are mainly focused on a short-term results approach that doesn't take into account a lot of pressing issues regarding uselessly attempting to push the square peg of this stagnated sport into a round hole of demanding successful results right away, which is more like putting the cart before the horse.

It's cool if U.S. fed is working more closely with top coaches and actually doing more listening to someone like Raf Arutunian whose vision may also be influencing some incremental evolving of U.S. fed's thinking. I surely am not privy to most of what's going on behind-the-scenes. Still, as a long-time fan of figure skating, I'm skeptical about the crucial issue of overall vision and leadership because of the fractured, political and divisive nature of how the sport is run as a whole among the ISU, and among the various federations.

Jim Peterson is one of the top coaches in the U.S., and he deserves to be respected as such. I don't know exactly what's happening in the relationship between U.S. fed, the country's numerous skating clubs and the smaller training sites around the U.S. I think U.S. fed should be respecting all the top coaches they have, in addition to what they've been doing in trying to bring in top international talent to work with some of our top coaches at more advanced training centers. Coaches working at smaller facilities across the U.S. should not be dismissed as expendable. That doesn't make any sense. Does U.S. fed have some over-arching plan, or are they only focused on four years out and immediate results, while ignoring coaches and athletes who are not currently working out of major training centers? That wouldn't make any sense.

Meanwhile, I think U.S. fed is facing a variety of unaddressed issues to the point where it's almost like plugging holes in a sinking ship, very similar to problems the ISU is facing as well. I think U.S. fed should be listening to their best coaches and actually asking them what they need to continue succeeding in effectively guiding athletes to be the best they can be. Are there currently any plans in place to address changes underway and how that impacts the old club system and the smaller facilities?

I think there are probably a lot of former skaters and coaches who just move on and who are no longer a part of the sport nor even interested in watching any longer, which says to me that valuable resources are constantly being tossed by the wayside. The sport of figure skating, despite its rich history and its deep connections to the culture has not really grown effectively into the 21st-century. Figure skating seems to be a sport which doesn't fully understand its past and that is not engaging in adequate planning and preparation for its future. In the present, there appears to be a lot of 'en-vogue' stop-gap measures that may or may not be successful for effective, long-term growth.

IMO, the sport is not building on all of its best resources. The sport is surely hemorrhaging potential and actual skating talent at every level. Growing the sport in the U.S. is not about 'en-vogue,' it's chiefly about respecting and nurturing skaters, and about fostering inclusive and collaborative input in a way that respects both coaches and athletes. There needs to be new and effective leadership, active seeking out of financial investment resources, along with recruitment of talented sports management professionals and creative visionaries who can do some strategic thinking and implement effective action plans. Yes, it's just words on paper, and probably a pipe dream on my part.

I'm not saying that new training centers aren't the way to go. I'm very excited about seeing improved progress for the U.S. pairs discipline, but I'm worried about lack of effective U.S. fed leadership and the apparent absence of a better-coordinated and inclusive approach. Long-term studies should be conducted to study the different coaching and training techniques and their impact upon the increasingly difficult physical demands placed upon skaters. Plus, more attention should be paid to effective training of young coaches and in turn young skaters. I'm asking what's being done overall in terms of having a vision of bringing the sport forward more effectively as a whole in the U.S. without the clueless autocratic, politically-motivated, short-term gain, 'what have you done for me lately,' thinking. If there is a broader, more inclusive visionary approach under way, and not just a hammer-like 'en-vogue' approach going on, why isn't that being widely communicated?

I salute all the skaters and coaches who are out there every day working hard for the love of the sport, doing the best they can with limited resources and hampered by a lack of vision and leadership at the highest levels of the ISU and the federations.

The fact @PairSkater12345 that you rapped off something about training centers being en-vogue as a reason to be randomly dismissive of Jim Peterson is rather curious and counterproductive.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Our girl, Ashley Cain, gives an update one week out to Nationals and also confirms concussion sustained from Croatia!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsq4GF-FNoM/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7ooishlji9u0

A week from today we will have our first official practice at Nationals! This is something that, a month ago, we were unsure was even going to happen. As many of you know, I suffered a concussion from our fall at Golden Spin in Croatia. Ever since then we have been following the concussion protocol and working our way back up to being strong mentally and physically to compete next week. From barely being able to do 10 minutes on the bike without feeling sick to being able to run full programs this week, we feel ready and capable to take on whatever happens at Nationals. I want to extend a huge thank you to our team who has been with us every single step of this process:
-Our coaches: Darlene and Peter Cain
-The staff from US Figure Skating and the US Olympic Committee
-Our trainers: Christian Ballard, Sam Dumbacher, and Brandon Siakel -Brittani Cookinham who has been monitoring my concussion
-Carley Pearce my sports chiropractor -All of our training mates who have cheered us on and pushed us to be stronger
- Nina Mozer and her team for creating a training plan for us to follow heading into Nationals.
-Most of all, thank you Timothy for being so patient while I worked my way back. You have been strong for the both of us.
We are really grateful that we have this opportunity to compete and we will give it everything we have!

PairSkater12345

"The fact @PairSkater12345 that you rapped off something about training centers being en-vogue as a reason to be randomly dismissive of Jim Peterson is rather curious and counterproductive".

How sensitive you be......lol When you looked to pick a fight lol, I responded "Looks like Pairs centers are in Vogue in the USA. Time to join forces (with another pairs group) and create another center that has the full support system to compete with Colorado and CA." IMHO.

In what way was I randomly dismissive and counterproductive? Just saying coaches should consider "TEAMING" in centers that provide the training facilities and experts that give skaters the competitive advantage. Skaters vote with their feet and their money, choosing to train where they will be most successful. Training centers are forming. As I remember one formed in Baaaston two years or so ago.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Right sure @PairSkater12345, continue on with your blithe and carelessly dismissive banter. I don't know whether you are simply a troll, a gnarly instigator, or again just a sidelines fan randomly casting aspersions. Just because you think training centers are 'en-vogue' doesn't mean Jim Peterson somehow needs to join one. You sound like you have no idea what's entailed in being a top-notch figure skating coach in the first place. But yeah, carry on with your condescending remarks, since you clearly aren't displaying any serious interest in the beneficial growth of the sport in the U.S.

hoptoad

I'm happy to see Ashley Cain's message about competing at Nationals, though I'm a little worried that she may overdo it and hinder her/their long term outcomes.

And I love that she thanks the many people who have been helping her.

Reading the list makes me curious about the division of responsibilities among the coaches. I know they've been working periodically with Nina Mozer over the last few years at training camps, but why would Mozer create a training plan for them and not their on-site coaches? (Mozer is in Russia, right?)

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I don't know how the training set-up works between Mozer and Ashley's parents. But clearly Ashley's parents would not have agreed to Mozer consulting with them if they weren't interested in her expertise and input. DM Ashley with a query if you're that interested in a detailed rundown. :)

The collaboration seems to be working out fine so far.

PairSkater12345

Aftershocks....All your thesaurus words don't make sense and you don't listen to reason. Sounds like your from the Ellington crew. That would make sense. I do know what a group five lift is....lol

Last edited:

just tuned in

Ever since then we [Ashley Cain] have been following the concussion protocol and working our way back up to being strong mentally and physically to compete next week. From barely being able to do 10 minutes on the bike without feeling sick to being able to run full programs this week, we feel ready and capable to take on whatever happens at Nationals.

This post is certainly a contrast from her earlier posts where everything was just dandy. I hope they are not rushing it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Aftershocks....All your thesaurus words don't make sense and you don't listen to reason. Sounds like your from the Ellington crew. That would make sense. I do know what a group five lift is....lol

:blah: Sounds like you're in first grade, held all the way back from a promotion to fifth. Jim dandy and ballyhoo for you that you know what a group five lift is. :drama: It's always the case how easy it is casting aspersions, but when your crap is thrown back at ya, it's petty, whiny thumbsuckin' time.

Cut the crap please. Real fans are interested in cheering on all the skaters and coaches, and enjoying sincere conversation and up-to-date news about the sport and the athletes.

Cleo1782

Just FYI, Peterson, Evora, and team coach out of Ellenton, FL near Sarasota/Bradenton, not Ellington.

Anyways, excited to see the US Pairs next week.:cheer2:

PairSkater12345

:blah: Sounds like you're in first grade, held all the way back from a promotion to fifth. Jim dandy and ballyhoo for you that you know what a group five lift is. :drama: It's always the case how easy it is casting aspersions, but when your crap is thrown back at ya, it's petty, whiny thumbsuckin' time.

Cut the crap please. Real fans are interested in cheering on all the skaters and coaches, and enjoying sincere conversation and up-to-date news about the sport and the athletes.
Bully.

Carolla5501

Sorry I Hurt your feelings:
my·op·ic
/ˌmīˈäpik/
adjective

1. nearsighted.
    synonyms:short-sighted;

And your posts have nothing to do with the topics at hand

Another one for the ignore list! Have a good day.

Spiralgraph

:watch::watch::watch::watch: for US Nationals in Pairs. Only one spot for Worlds. The Knierims, Ash & Tim, Tarah & Danny all ready to fight it out.

I know I made my official predictions, but I really have no idea what will happen. I hope my nerves can stand it. :biggrinbo

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a good local article on one of the top contenders in Novice Pairs, Isabelle Goldstein, 15, and Keyton Bearinger, 19, who have been together for 4 years and are coached by Zuzanna Szwed (competed at 1992 Olympics for Poland and married to 2006 Olympian Aaron Parchem) at the Detroit Skating Club, home ice for Nationals for Juvenile-Novice this year: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ps-feature-many-striving-big-time/2592526002/

Sylvia

TBD
Championship Pairs (as of 1/14/19):

Ashley Cain (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Timothy LeDuc (Los Angeles FSC)
Jessica Calalang (DuPage FSC) and Brian Johnson (Detroit SC, Inc.)
Winter Deardorff (Northern Kentucky SC) and Max Settlage (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Haven Denney (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Brandon Frazier (All Year FSC)
Nica Digerness (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Danny Neudecker (Seattle SC)
Tarah Kayne (Southwest Florida FSC) and Danny O'Shea (Southwest Florida FSC)
Chelsea Liu (Orange County FSC) and Ian Meyh (All Year FSC)
Audrey Lu (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Misha Mitrofanov (Dallas FSC, Inc.)
Alexa Scimeca-Knierim (DuPage FSC) and Christopher Knierim (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Olivia Serafini (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Mervin Tran (SC of New York)
Erika Smith (The SC of New York, Inc.) and AJ Reiss (Los Angeles FSC)
Deanna Stellato (Southwest Florida FSC) and Nathan Bartholomay (Southwest Florida FSC)
Allison Timlen (Columbia FSC (MD) and Justin Highgate-Brutman (St. Clair Shores FSC)

Cleo1782

Seems like the top 3 could really go any way between Tim & Ashley, Alexa and Chris, and Tarah and Danny. 4th is solidly Deanna and Nate's and 5th/6th will be between Haven and Brandon and Jessica and Brian. Curious to see how Mervin and Olivia show up.
I wouldn't discount Deanna and Nate as 3rd place contenders. Given Ashley's injury and Peterson's teams tendency to peak at nationals it is an open race.

olympic

Seems like the top 3 could really go any way between Tim & Ashley, Alexa and Chris, and Tarah and Danny. 4th is solidly Deanna and Nate's and 5th/6th will be between Haven and Brandon and Jessica and Brian. Curious to see how Mervin and Olivia show up.

Pairs is really a crap shoot in the U.S., but stronger skating skills from the Knierims makes them IMO shaky favorites. They could lock up a trip to Worlds if only Alexa would just hold on to her landings. I have no idea why those elements have gone sideways on her because she lands the throws at the end of the LP but misses it in the SP. She is capable of completing them

I think their biggest challenge comes from K/O. I hope it comes together for them. I emphasize again the move to Dalilah was a good move because their biggest weakness were the explosive elements like the twist and the throws.

I don't quite put C/L in the same category as the aforementioned. Even pre-concussion, their scores and experience lag the Knierims and K/O.

ETA - I didn't know that K/O and Knierims had the 9th and 10th best intl. scores this season [There are 4 RUS pairs ahead of them, so that bumps them up a spot, but I think some top pairs like Yu/Zhang and Sui/Han missed the GP season?]:

1 James/Cipres FRA 221.81 2018 SC
2 Tarasova/Morozov RUS 220.25 2018 RC
3 Peng/Jin CHN 216.90 GPF
4 Zabiako/Enbert RUS 214.14 2018 NHK
5 Della Monica/Guarise ITA 203.83 2018 RC
6 Moore-Towers/Marinaro CAN 200.93 2018 SC
7 Boikova/Kozlovskij RUS 196.54 2018 SC
8 Mishina/Gallamov RUS 192.75 2018 Alpen Trophy
9 Kayne/O'Shea USA 191.43 2018 IdF
10 Scimeca/Knierim USA 190.49 2018 NHK

I wonder how this bodes for 2 spots in 2020?

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

I’m really looking forward to Mervin & Olivia. They seem to be a very well matched team (size & skills from their pasts).

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Championship Pairs (as of 1/14/19):

Ashley Cain (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Timothy LeDuc (Los Angeles FSC)
Jessica Calalang (DuPage FSC) and Brian Johnson (Detroit SC, Inc.)
Winter Deardorff (Northern Kentucky SC) and Max Settlage (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Haven Denney (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Brandon Frazier (All Year FSC)
Nica Digerness (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Danny Neudecker (Seattle SC)
Tarah Kayne (Southwest Florida FSC) and Danny O'Shea (Southwest Florida FSC)
Chelsea Liu (Orange County FSC) and Ian Meyh (All Year FSC)
Audrey Lu (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Misha Mitrofanov (Dallas FSC, Inc.)
Alexa Scimeca-Knierim (DuPage FSC) and Christopher Knierim (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Olivia Serafini (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Mervin Tran (SC of New York)
Erika Smith (The SC of New York, Inc.) and AJ Reiss (Los Angeles FSC)
Deanna Stellato (Southwest Florida FSC) and Nathan Bartholomay (Southwest Florida FSC)
Allison Timlen (Columbia FSC (MD) and Justin Highgate-Brutman (St. Clair Shores FSC)

Thank you!

carriecmu0503

Pairs is really a crap shoot in the U.S., but stronger skating skills from the Knierims makes them IMO shaky favorites. They could lock up a trip to Worlds if only Alexa would just hold on to her landings. I have no idea why those elements have gone sideways on her because she lands the throws at the end of the LP but misses it in the SP. She is capable of completing them

I think their biggest challenge comes from K/O. I hope it comes together for them. I emphasize again the move to Dalilah was a good move because their biggest weakness were the explosive elements like the twist and the throws.

I don't quite put C/L in the same category as the aforementioned. Even pre-concussion, their scores and experience lag the Knierims and K/O.

ETA - I didn't know that K/O and Knierims had the 9th and 10th best intl. scores this season [There are 4 RUS pairs ahead of them, so that bumps them up a spot, but I think some top pairs like Yu/Zhang and Sui/Han missed the GP season?]:

1 James/Cipres FRA 221.81 2018 SC
2 Tarasova/Morozov RUS 220.25 2018 RC
3 Peng/Jin CHN 216.90 GPF
4 Zabiako/Enbert RUS 214.14 2018 NHK
5 Della Monica/Guarise ITA 203.83 2018 RC
6 Moore-Towers/Marinaro CAN 200.93 2018 SC
7 Boikova/Kozlovskij RUS 196.54 2018 SC
8 Mishina/Gallamov RUS 192.75 2018 Alpen Trophy
9 Kayne/O'Shea USA 191.43 2018 IdF
10 Scimeca/Knierim USA 190.49 2018 NHK

I wonder how this bodes for 2 spots in 2020?

It is harder to get two spots than it is to keep two spots. To keep two spots, the point total has to be 28 or less. To go from one spot to two, the one team we send MUST finish in the top 10. With how competitive pairs has gotten, that is not a small feat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information