U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I didn't see anywhere that Ashley mentioned a specific timeframe for training with Mozer, aside from the caption: "Finishing out week 1 strong!" Based generally on the captions and Instagram photo timeline, three weeks makes sense. That would mean they'll be returning home at the end of next week and gearing up for Champs Camp from August 19-23 in Colorado Springs.

ETA:
Yay, I found this obscure Timothy LeDuc audio interview (with lots of cool pics of Timothy through the years). He's interviewed by a British? guy named Tony Moore. The interview took place in late 2014 after Timothy's partnership with Dee Dee Leng had ended and he was touring as a cruise ship skater. Timothy discusses how watching the Olympics in 1998 and 2002 motivated him to continue pressuring his parents to let him take up skating. Timothy says he was attracted to figure skating because of how it combines sport with art. :D "I had to make up for lost time. I started [skating] when I was 13..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyRJ3_dsyxU
There's a cool pic @9:39 of Timothy with his sister and brother...

And here's a video profile (Cirque du Soleil audition tape) of Timothy's sister, Leah LeDuc. :) Timothy often speaks of her and how they motivate each other as skaters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo3ckoSGq4 Huge talent!

Last edited:

Jojo13

Noticed that Yao/Simon are scheduled to compete at Colorado Champs this weekend as juniors. Didn't they test and pass senior pair test? i understand that they are eligible to skate junior internationally, but once they tested senior, don't they have to compete senior?

gkelly

According to the Colorado Championships announcement, "Competition level is the highest test passed as of the entry deadline in the discipline the skater is entering."

The deadline was 11:59 pm on June 29. So if they passed the senior test on June 30 or later, they would be eligible to compete junior at this competition by the rules of this competition.

That kind of wording is not uncommon for nonqualifying competitions.

For qualifying competitions, test level as of the deadline (September 1) is mandatory -- passing a higher test between the deadline and the competition date would disqualify you.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^^^^YAS, you posted it!!!!!! YASSSSS!!!!

LURVE THEM! #Slay #GetItDone #ShantayYouStay

Love they got harder material, love that she loves the Free (and thats good enough for me).

Guess their Senior B will be U.S. Classic.

Jojo13

According to the Colorado Championships announcement, "Competition level is the highest test passed as of the entry deadline in the discipline the skater is entering."

The deadline was 11:59 pm on June 29. So if they passed the senior test on June 30 or later, they would be eligible to compete junior at this competition by the rules of this competition.

That kind of wording is not uncommon for nonqualifying competitions.

For qualifying competitions, test level as of the deadline (September 1) is mandatory -- passing a higher test between the deadline and the competition date would disqualify you.
According to posts from Sappenfield's camp that test was passed on June 9. So that would have been before deadline. So this is confusing to me.

PairSk8r123

Noticed that Yao/Simon are scheduled to compete at Colorado Champs this weekend as juniors. Didn't they test and pass senior pair test? i understand that they are eligible to skate junior internationally, but once they tested senior, don't they have to compete senior?

Teams that are hoping to be sent to junior internationals are required to put up a score at any local competition in the junior level to prove that they can achieve the minimum TES (and a respectable score) without the extra lift in senior, PCS inflation, etc. I'm sure that USFS and Dalilah could have easily worked out some arrangement to have Yao/Simon compete (or even do an "exhibition") as a Junior team, even if they missed the registration deadline. Are there any other competitors against them?

Jojo13

Teams that are hoping to be sent to junior internationals are required to put up a score at any local competition in the junior level to prove that they can achieve the minimum TES (and a respectable score) without the extra lift in senior, PCS inflation, etc. I'm sure that USFS and Dalilah could have easily worked out some arrangement to have Yao/Simon compete (or even do an "exhibition") as a Junior team, even if they missed the registration deadline. Are there any other competitors against them?
Makes sense. And yes, there is another junior team listed.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
:COP:A new Golden Skate video interview with Alexa and Chris! :)
https://youtu.be/WepC75wTgAE

Lots of things are discussed so you'll want to watch it. :watch:

Truly, I am loving Ted Flett's interviews ... And what great editing;)

I can just see Alexa in the hospital bed saying, uh, a quad twist is our goal, and the surgeon saying, let's see if you can walk first....

As if I could love Alexa any more:saint: (but I love girlfriend Deanna too. What will I do?:scream:....

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ It's gonna be difficult in practically all disciplines when Nationals rolls around at the end of the year. :COP: :watch: :drama: :wuzrobbed

Just hoping skaters skate their best and leave no stone unturned ...

Sylvia

TBD
According to posts from Sappenfield's camp that test was passed on June 9. So that would have been before deadline. So this is confusing to me.
USFS Rule 5210 Junior Pairs (entering qualifying competition):
A. Test qualifications as of the closing date for entry to the regional championships: Both partners must have passed the junior moves in the field test or higher and the junior pair test (see note). Note: It is permissible for one or both of the partners to have passed the senior pair test and still remain eligible to compete at the junior level, provided that neither partner has competed at the senior pair level in a qualifying competition [Sectionals]. Further, if a skater chooses to compete at the junior pair level, the skater must do so with a partner other than the one with whom the senior pair test was passed.
Therefore, Yao/Simon should be okay to compete in Junior Pairs events at a non-qualifying competition like Colorado Championships.

Pairs scoretracker was updated before the Philadelphia comp.: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/

Jojo13

USFS Rule 5210 Junior Pairs (entering qualifying competition):
A. Test qualifications as of the closing date for entry to the regional championships: Both partners must have passed the junior moves in the field test or higher and the junior pair test (see note). Note: It is permissible for one or both of the partners to have passed the senior pair test and still remain eligible to compete at the junior level, provided that neither partner has competed at the senior pair level in a qualifying competition [Sectionals]. Further, if a skater chooses to compete at the junior pair level, the skater must do so with a partner other than the one with whom the senior pair test was passed.
Therefore, Yao/Simon should be okay to compete in Junior Pairs events at a non-qualifying competition like Colorado Championships.

Pairs scoretracker was updated before the Philadelphia comp.: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/
Thank you for clarifying.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I would add devastating and brutal, but also meaningful. Lessons that can be learned, and heartache to never let happen again after this year. But also happy and grateful. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOVE THEM BOTH!!! Like me....

Disclaimer: Of course NO one will or should get more love than Angela Nikodinov!

Angie always has our love and admiration. :) You are right, love who you love and enjoy the moments. Don't think about placements. That's how the skaters have to approach it too. Work hard and do their best. Accept what happens and learn from everything that happens. Keep striving. Love, laugh a lot, live...

And then I suppose as Alexa said: "Keep fingers and toes crossed" for your faves. :cheer2: But forget about expectations. Enjoy the moments! Even as we count down to season's kickoff. :kickass:

Jojo13

Good interview. Ted's relaxed style brings out a lot in the skaters. I like their choices for programs, and it will be interesting to see them do a comic program for a change.
It was a great interview. I am looking forward to seeing both their new programs. Just wish they were ready earlier so they could get out in front of judges and get feedback sooner like Nate and Deanna. It will also be interesting to see what Ashley and Tim bring to the table after their training in Italy.

Bellanca

It was a great interview. I am looking forward to seeing both their new programs. Just wish they were ready earlier so they could get out in front of judges and get feedback sooner like Nate and Deanna. It will also be interesting to see what Ashley and Tim bring to the table after their training in Italy.
Ted did a fabulous job, :) :40beers: as he always does!! WTG!!

U.S. pairs (for this Oly season) is sure to be a complete roller coaster ride - or entirely predictable. It's a stay tuned situation because it is pairs, ;) :drama: so who knows... Looking forward to seeing how it will all shake out.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Knierims GoldenSkate interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WepC75wTgAE

Great interview, 26 minutes long. Key points:

--They discussed Alexa's medical ordeal. Alexa said the specific condition she had is quite rare & uncommon. They missed a lot of practice; for 4 months, she was restricted to only double twists/jumps. Very happy to feel healthier again now.

--They wanted to go for romantic, lyrical programs last year. It worked out well in the end because the programs were at a level they were comfortable with for their comeback--not as hard as some of their previous programs, more emotional. "Our programs were pretty simple." --Chris

--They considered keeping one or both programs this year, but wanted to challenge themselves to grow with new material. They chose to work with choreographers in Colorado Springs so they could make adjustments throughout the season.

--New short program is "Paint It Black", choreographed by Rohene Ward; they are still finishing it. Rohene is busy and it's difficult to schedule time with him, but they love his ideas. Program has rock & orchestral sections. Alexa described it as having a "dark and creepy vibe, raw edginess, like a branch off the Metallica program [2015-16 LP]." The Metallica program was one of their personal favorites.

--New long program is Chaplin. They love it; they enjoyed working with Christopher Dean. "There's a lot of comical movements. Which is so nice and refreshing, just to have fun out there, literally ...." --Alexa

--They plan to bring the quad twist back this season, but not until later in the season, "at least 4 months more" from now (Alexa). They want to be sure her health and condition is optimal before attempting the element again. "Her health is a lot more important than doing a quad twist, even if it's going to hurt us by a point or two." --Chris

--They will do U.S. International Classic in SLC for their Challenger Series event--wanted to limit international travel this season.

--If they are chosen for the Olympic team, they're not concerned about having to do both the team event and pairs individual event.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
How did Deanna and Nathan do in Philadelphia? Anybody know?

Yes, because I was there and saw them. Can I give you their scores off of the top of my head? No. ;)

I loved them, but I love them anyway. Deanna had somewhat of a rough time with jumps, but good Lord does she have presence.

SP: Deanna fell on the SBS jump and two footed the throw. They have such presence on the ice, even Nate, which for some reason, I wasn't expecting. That last lift looks even better in person, and the costumes are gorgeous. *And* Eleanor Rigby violin sounds much better in person than on fan cams.

LP: Deanna fell on the first SBS jumps, and on the throw. Still, elegance and calm and projection on the ice. I talked to Deanna that afternoon to tell her how much I loved their programs, And how one of the reasons I came to the comp was to see her and Nate. She kept saying "Thank you for the positivity" and was just the sweetest thing ever.

Can I also say, I watched the junior pairs, and they were interesting and fun, but I got me a real pairs education on just how difficult and hard and impressive all those elements are. When you watch a junior man brace himself and wait three seconds to lift his partner, and then you see Nate do it in one smooth motion, skating as fast as can be, and holding Deanna on one arm for half the rink length, it brings home how impressive those lifts are. Respect:respec:

wickedwitch

I was more impressed with S/B live than on video. I think their LP could really create a special moment if they skate it well. They also landed gorgeous sbs 3Lz in warmup. I think they have a real shot at making the 4CC team.

I had been puzzled by their choice to go for the quad throw, when throws are, IMO, their weakest "risk" element at this time. (Their twist has improved a ridiculous amount since November.) Most have a landing with little if any speed out at best. But a a -3 quad throw Salchow will outscore -1 triple throw Salchow even with the deduction for a fall. So that's a good decision by their team.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ HOW GREAT that we have some good energy in US pairs at the moment!!!!!

Love hearing the excitement from people.

then we also have a renewed D&F, S-K&K, a healed Kayne and who knows what from C&T and C&L!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information