U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammers

Hearing them talk about Alex makes me wish Gracie was going back to him if just for the jumps. I bet he would get Gracie back into fighting shape too there was never a time when she was with him that she wasn't in great physical condition.

umbuma

Mokhova / Mokhov (Int1) are having a great start with a FS of 71.42 at Detroit Summer Skate in NOVICE. That score would have put them in the first half of the Juniors! Can't wait to see their SP!
Will they stay Novice? Not sure if she can do a double lutz that is required for short.

umbuma

I could not agree with you more. I was there too and thoroughly enjoyed watching them. Yes, they are JGP eligible and if I were on the selection committee I would be sending them out twice. There was a lot of buzz at the competition about criteria to be given assignments. Based on combined scores Misha/Audrey are only team to successfully meet requirements. TJ/Sarah and Keenan/Laiken just slightly missed the cut for 2, but should be sent out once. Jacob/Allie too were slightly under the mark, but that was with their extra lift in free skate. Personally I would invest in those junior teams.
Keenan/Laiken had enough points already from Skate Milwaukee.

aftershocks

Banned Member
U.S. Champions Denney/Frazier: "We want to show everyone that we still have a lot to give"
http://figureskatersonline.com/news...ow-everyone-that-we-still-have-a-lot-to-give/

Haven/Brandon talk about the highs/lows of last season, the disappointment at Worlds, and their plans for the Olympic season.

Thanks so much for this insightful interview with Haven & Brandon @clairecloutier. It's great to hear their perspective on last season and how hard they are working to forge ahead. I was also glad to see how supportive USFS has been to D/F in the aftermath of the Worlds setback. As I've said before, D/F seemed to have a lot of adrenalin going into their Worlds sp. Haven apparently slipped off her toe when she landed. Perhaps she did not have enough control of her trajectory in the air. Brandon was apparently distracted by the first mistake and blew his sbs jump, and then lost concentration on the sbs spin, as he described. The cards were not in their favor for a lot of reasons having to do with ISU's limiting pairs limit for advancing to the free program.

Indeed lifts are D/F's strength, and it's exciting to learn that they brainstormed and have been incorporating some new and difficult lift variations, in addition to tweaking their already very strong throw 3-twist! I'm also glad to hear that they feel the reasons for Haven's sbs jump issues last season had more to do with limited training time rather than any concerning problems with her knee not being fully healed. So, fingers-crossed for D/F this coming season. It's also lovely to hear how all the U.S. pairs teams are supportive of each other and root for each other, and are inspired by each other, even as they all compete so hard against each other.

Best wishes to all! It's such a watchable and special discipline, IMHO! :cheer2:

feraina

Thanks for the great interview! It's good to see D/F so focused and motivated.

I do think they went to too many comps last season. They never had a chance to come down and regroup. Croatia was very skippable. And probably 4CC too. I chalk it down to their coaches not being experienced. Good to hear they will be more selective with their comps this season.

PairSk8r123

Where can the new JGP criteria be found? I know that USFS is trying to implement harsher requirements like Skate Canada, however, I am not sure what the actual required scores/elements are. I heard that at Skate Detroit, there was a lot of concern for the teams lacking throw triples (like Yao/Simon and Feng/Nyman), but I doubt it will prevent them from getting at least 1 assignment each; especially since Feng/Nyman have triple jumps and strong skating skills.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
While it's regrettable that Deanna failed to mention Aljona Savchenko as an inspiration (and a skater that she studies), I forgive her for the time being.

The whole tone of the article made it sound like they aren't thinking about retiring after this season. :cheer:

:COP: Deanna's secret to learning a quad throw: “I would say the secret to the quad is butt pads — lots and lots of butt pads”

olympic

I watched Pfund / Santillan at Skate Detroit. Her landings seemed odd, as if she were protecting her leg. I hope she's not battling injury.

Jojo13

Keenan/Laiken had enough points already from Skate Milwaukee.
I did correct this in a future post saying "that since Audrey and Misha/Laiken and Keenan qualified for two it should get interesting with only 8 spots total".

Jojo13

Where can the new JGP criteria be found? I know that USFS is trying to implement harsher requirements like Skate Canada, however, I am not sure what the actual required scores/elements are. I heard that at Skate Detroit, there was a lot of concern for the teams lacking throw triples (like Yao/Simon and Feng/Nyman), but I doubt it will prevent them from getting at least 1 assignment each; especially since Feng/Nyman have triple jumps and strong skating skills.
Feng/Nyman just started skating pairs 3 months ago. You cannot count that Nyman skated juvenile. Junior Pairs and juvenile pairs are two different animals. Their individual skating skills are much stronger than those of Yao/Simon. The solid triple jumps are huge. Plus Nyman just turned 17 years old. He has several more years of eligibility. Invest in him!!! Yao/Simon may be a new team but they are not new to Pairs and they will not fair well internationally with no throw triples or triple jumps. You take away the third lift and their combined score was below 130.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I agree. This is a true example of a partnership. Standing by one another through the ups and downs.

Yep, D/F went through a brief, unfortunate split earlier in their careers due to family logistics. From that experience, seemingly they gained an understanding that they are partners together on the ice for life -- very well matched and willing to go through thick and thin with each other.

Of course, they started out together as very young roller skating champions.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
O'Shea Kayne you see: Pair looks to bounce back
Florida duo gives readers peek behind the curtain during Olympic season

"Tarah is a beast. I mean that in the most feminine and positive way possible.

Tarah has been battling an injury that we can trace back to the 2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City. While doing a jump exercise on the ice, she landed a bit funky. After seeing doctors and getting tests done, we were told, in layman's terms, "to keep ice skating and manage the pain with physical therapy and normal care." This was good news to us, and we treated the knee as prescribed for the 2015-16 season, which ended pretty well for us at the U.S. championships."

........ "But Tarah's pain never went away; in fact, it got worse. It became excruciating. I watched as my partner went from being in peak physical condition to feeling so much pain after skating that I had to help her up the stairs to our apartment. We made it to the 2017 U.S. Championships in Kansas City but had to withdraw after the short program."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/07/31/245524646

DFO

A good figure skater, must have the intelligence to know when to "smile while in pain" on the ice and when to take a break to cure a sickness or an injury, even if the timing is the worst possible, so he could bounce back. It's a terrible choice. Sometimes, there is no choice.

I wish Tarah will come back "like new".

Jem X

Pokemon forever
So Tarah has a cadaver tendon in her knee. Okaaay. Wish she had had the surgery before she needed tendon replacement.

Hoping for the best for K/O

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow, I had to look that one up! "Cadaver tendon" https://www.sosbones.com/news/acl-reconstruction-graft-choices/ (Obviously this doctor's write-up is not specific to surgery for a knee injury suffered by a top-level athlete -- I'm linking for general info only)

Discussion related to an athletic injury:
http://www.howardluksmd.com/orthope...y-graft-choice-5-professional-opinion-series/

Good luck to Tarah. I know hindsight is always easy. But why not simply face the music and get things taken care of at the least after Worlds 2016 when it was clear the pain was increasing? Wouldn't that have been a better option than totally struggling through 2016-2017 season and having to pull out of U.S. Nationals? Whatever had to be faced re surgery could have been faced post 2016-Worlds and then not rushing back too soon. K/O in that instance could have either gotten a late start to 2016-2017 season by strategizing to still make 2017 U.S. Nationals, or if necessary sat out 2017 U.S. Nationals in order to be completely healthy and ahead of the game for the Olympic season.

I'm sorry for Tarah's troubles. I think Danny did an excellent job in the IN feature describing a bit of their experience through his eyes. I understand the dilemma of not wanting to lose competitive time to surgery & rehab if at all possible, but perhaps there's a better way to choose between limited options earlier on before an injury situation becomes more dire. And yes, Tarah is definitely a fighter! What a strong and determined young lady! :saint:

I wonder what the difference is between the knee injuries and surgeries that Haven and Tarah underwent? I thought initially that Tarah's problems were described as tendinitis and overuse injury.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Last edited:

olympic

Update on Cain/LeDuc training in Italy - Ash posts a group picture with mountainous Italian terrain in the background:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXA1cc2nnle/?hl=en&taken-by=icegirlash
It looks like Zabijako/Enbert; Tarasova/Morozov; Della Monica/Guarise; Cain/LeDuc :cheer2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXJGPAfn3ND/?hl=en&taken-by=icegirlash
Ash, 'dancing her way through Saturday' What a back bend!

I'm happy to know that they are taking advantage of training w/ Team Mozer. How long have they been there?

Alilou

Ubercavorter

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's Alexandrovskaya and Windsor (AUS) not Z&E

Thanks so much @alilou. I was unsure that the first couple pictured was Z/E. At first I couldn't figure it out at all (and I was obviously stumped since I got it wrong! :p) The first couple looked so familiar to me. Yet, I definitely was not sure it was Z/E, especially because the guy was wearing a moustache. That's why I was stumped too, since Harley has not had a moustache before. Looking closer, it might not actually be a moustache. It's just a faraway, not clear image of him. I started to put a question mark for that couple to see if anyone else could decipher. Thanks again. :)

I'm happy to know that they are taking advantage of training w/ Team Mozer. How long have they been there?

I'm not sure. @Sylvia originally posted the news that Cain/LeDuc are training with Mozer in Italy via this Instagram pic by Ashley Cain: https://www.instagram.com/p/BW3Q4EMnG0W/?hl=en&taken-by=icegirlash (photo dated 7/22/17) In her caption, Ash only says that she and Tim are currently in Italy, but not when they got there or for how long. *

Here are more Instagram pics from Ash re her Italy adventure:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BW-2JTDHnCd/?hl=en&taken-by=icegirlash Ah, Zabijako/Enbert are there too!
Z/E, Susan Pepper Arena, Guiseppe Arena, Ash/Timothy
Ash's caption: "'Surround yourself with people that reflect who you want to be and how you want to feel, energies are contagious.' Dance class with the amazing Giuseppe Arena and Susan Pepper Arena!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWxjwPWnjW_/?hl=en&taken-by=icegirlash
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXLvyXSHyET/?hl=en&taken-by=icegirlash

* Since an Instagram photo posted by Ash on July 16 indicates that she was boating with friends on Possum Kingdom Lake in Palo Pinto County, Texas on July 16, she and Timothy must have jetted off to Italy a few days later. Judging by dates on the Italy photos, they probably arrived in Italy on or around July 20. Caption for group photo posted on July 26 says: "Finishing out week 1 strong!"

So maybe they are there for two or three weeks. If that's the case, they could be returning later this week or the end of next week. USFS Champs Camp is August 19-23 in Colorado Springs, and surely C/L will attend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information