U.S. Men 2023-24 news & updates

peibeck

Simply looking
Hardly anyone doing a 3 loop as the second jump in their combo is getting it called as rotated. I seriously doubt any guys are going to try a 4 loop as the second jump in their combo, especially after going for TWO quad axles late in the program.... :lol: There are limits to these kids superpowers.

skatingguy

decently
4A
4A+3T
4Lz
4F
Fly Camel Spin
4Lo
4T+1Eu+3S
3A+3A+2A
Choreo Sequence
Ch Combo Spin
Step Sequence
Fly Ch Combo Spin

Marco

Hardly anyone doing a 3 loop as the second jump in their combo is getting it called as rotated. I seriously doubt any guys are going to try a 4 loop as the second jump in their combo, especially after going for TWO quad axles late in the program.... :lol: There are limits to these kids superpowers.
Just for fun. Not gonna happen any time soon.

DreamSkates

Don’t give Ilia any ideas.
I’m going to guess he’s working on combos the other men are not yet thinking about. Doesn’t he do a quad-quad in practice? That’s prep for the next Olympics. Start putting one of those in his lp the year before Olys, and watch a few other men try to copy it. Not sure if there is another man who could do such a combo. It would put him ahead of the pack plus he’s continuing to work on components and artistry.

olympic

Ilia Malinin was the only US man to qualify for the Grand Prix Final. The next closest man was Camden Pulkinen in 14th place (and in no danger of qualifying for the final). The rest of the US men who skated on the Grand Prix are so far down the list (in terms of results) that it's hard to find their names.

There had been some talk this season that Jason Brown ought to retire and let the younger men have a chance, but if I were the USFSA, I would pay Jason Brown a huge sum to stay and skate for as long as he desires. The younger US men are just not ready.

The Grand Prix Results make it clear (if it was not already) that the US World Team will be Ilia Malinin, Jason Brown and whoever can ride their coat-tails.
Nancy Kerrigan circa 1992-93

YukiNieve

On the way toward nationals, I started to have some back pain. Because it was nationals, I just decided to let it pass and do my best.

"Around the end of December, the beginning of January, I started to have severe pain in my back," Hiwatashi continued. "I wanted to compete at nationals, which I was able to do in the short program (coming in third), and I tried to do my best in the long program. But I was nervous and also trying to deal with the pain and it didn't work out for me."
This is kind of explaining why Tomoki struggled with his FS after skating such a great SP at this year's US Nationals.

On My Own

I hope everyone enjoyed that '87 PCS' performance from Ilia.

But I am happy he won at least. Would rather he did than a couple of the other options in this field.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I hope everyone enjoyed that '87 PCS' performance from Ilia.

But I am happy he won at least. Would rather he did than a couple of the other options in this field.
:rolleyes:

You don't sound very happy he won. But I suppose it's better you made this snotty comment in the general US Men's thread rather than the Ilia fan thread.

On My Own

You don't sound very happy he won. But I suppose it's better you made this snotty comment in the general US Men's thread rather than the Ilia fan thread.
I mean yes, I made it here on purpose. I like his approach to skating than many others, and am happy he won, rather than someone like Siao Him Fa or Kagiyama, although I prefer Uno to all of them.

Can't really pretend that Malinin was 87 PCS worthy. Sorry. Scores are scores, and that was ridiculous, as ridiculous as Jason Brown's 2.19 GOE 3Lz+3T.

On My Own

[Brown] really is a special skater.
He really is! I too wish I could get away with flutzes and score 2.19 GOE on them. And no, not a surprise he's made the GPF all of once, because someone withdrew.

It was something I'd brought up on the previous thread, and was bringing it up here to point out that criticising scores has nothing to do with me being happy or unhappy with Ilia's win.

Tavi

He really is! I too wish I could get away with flutzes and score 2.19 GOE on them. And no, not a surprise he's made the GPF all of once, because someone withdrew.

It was something I'd brought up on the previous thread, and was bringing it up here to point out that criticising scores has nothing to do with me being happy or unhappy with Ilia's win.
Oh, do you skate?

Regardless, if you’re going to whine, at least get your facts straight. He made the GPF twice.

Marco

The current US men's team combination of Ilia and Jason is perfect. One goes after records and titles, and the other is the stable one earning enough PCS to stay in top ten, enabling US a very good shot at keeping 3 shots. The other US men are, well, not very reliable.

olympic

The current US men's team combination of Ilia and Jason is perfect. One goes after records and titles, and the other is the stable one earning enough PCS to stay in top ten, enabling US a very good shot at keeping 3 shots. The other US men are, well, not very reliable.
Could not have said it any better myself.

-------

I hope Ilia takes it easy at Nationals; IOW, maybe lay of the 4A and just do what he must, perhaps working on components in preparation for Worlds. He really doesn't need to go all out and I don't want to see him stress out his joints.

Marco

I hope Ilia takes it easy at Nationals; IOW, maybe lay of the 4A and just do what he must, perhaps working on components in preparation for Worlds. He really doesn't need to go all out and I don't want to see him stress out his joints.
Especially if he indeed plans on going to 4CCs immediately after Nationals.

SkateFanBerlin

The 3 spots are alluring. But, what are we going to do with our men? Not to snark at all, but we don`t have a group that is reliable at Challenger events. US coaches aren`t having much success imparting knowledge of 4`s. Seriously, should USFS sponsor some promising juniors to Japan for development? (Do Japan coaches accept other nationalities?) (Maybe this belongs in Unpopular Opinions)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I was so saddened last year when Ilia went to a Swiss tour rather than to Four Cs, to gain yet another legacy title from his mother. Maybe he'll to Four Cs in 2024. He already won the Sr GP this season.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm currently standing in front of a conspiracy theory-like string diagram ready to explain why Torgy is the best pick for 4ccs and worlds based on my personal tastes and just vibes
Well, I wouldn't say he is the "best" choice, but given it sounds like Ilia is skipping it after all and I can't imagine Jason doing it either, I'd say Torgy has just as good of a chance at being selected as Camden - and you know I think Camden is pretty much a lock.

skatingguy

decently
I was so saddened last year when Ilia went to a Swiss tour rather than to Four Cs, to gain yet another legacy title from his mother. Maybe he'll to Four Cs in 2024. He already won the Sr GP this season.
Too close to US Nationals I think - but we've gotten mixed messages on whether he's going or not - guess we'll find out in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information