U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
How many of the top Sectionals advance to Nationals?
18 spots in both Sr & Jr.

Currently for the US Senior Men, the following have byes:
1) Nathan Chen, Ilia Malinin, Vincent Zhou, Jason Brown, Camden Pulkinen = 5, but probably only 3
2) n/a
3) n/a
4) n/a
5) Jimmy Ma (US Classic, SCI, MKJW), Dinh Tran (Lombardia, Finlandia, SkAm), Liam Kapeikis (Nebelhorn, SkAm, IceChallenge) = 3
6) Tomoki Hiwatashi (NHK), Will Annis (IceChallenge) = 2

The top 2 at each Sectional will advance. Then, the top 2 (up to 4) of the remaining 3rd place & lower finishers combined from all Sectionals will advance. Whether it's 2, 3 or 4 depends on whether Nathan or Vincent plan on competing at Nationals.

On the Junior side - the NQS document is a little unclear - it says that any JGPF qualifiers are automatically through to Nationals and then the Top 4 JUNIOR Men at each Sectional plus the Top 2 NOVICE men at each Sectional. Yampolsky is scheduled to compete at Easterns, so I'm not sure if that means that only the Top 3 Junior men at Easterns will advance or what. Same goes for Broussard at Pacific Coasts (start orders aren't up yet).

ice coverage

... On the Junior side - the NQS document is a little unclear - it says that any JGPF qualifiers are automatically through to Nationals and then the Top 4 JUNIOR Men at each Sectional plus the Top 2 NOVICE men at each Sectional. Yampolsky is scheduled to compete at Easterns, so I'm not sure if that means that only the Top 3 Junior men at Easterns will advance or what. Same goes for Broussard at Pacific Coasts (start orders aren't up yet).

I could be wrong, but my understanding of the NQS handbook (which has different language from the bye document) is that because of their byes from qualifying for JGPF, Yampolsky and Broussard are not included in the head count of 18 for Nats.

ADVANCEMENT TO U.S. FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS​
San Jose, California • January 23 – 29, 2023​

...​

SINGLES​
Junior: maximum of 18 entries from the Sectional Singles Final​
Top 4 athletes per section​
Top 2 novice athletes per section invited to skate up to junior​
IF any athletes qualify for the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating who are registered to compete junior domestically, they will receive a bye to the U.S. Championships (in addition to the 18 from the Sectional Singles Final), if they withdraw prior to or at the Championships their byed spot will not be filled as the maximum entries is 18.​

Last edited:

Karen-W

I could be wrong, but my understanding of the NQS handbook (which has different language from the bye document) is that because of their byes from qualifying for JGPF, Yampolsky and Broussard are not included in the head count of 18 for Nats.

ADVANCEMENT TO U.S. FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS​
San Jose, California • January 23 – 29, 2023​

...​

SINGLES​
Junior: maximum of 18 entries from the Sectional Singles Final​
Top 4 athletes per section​
Top 2 novice athletes per section invited to skate up to junior​
IF any athletes qualify for the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating who are registered to compete junior domestically, they will receive a bye to the U.S. Championships (in addition to the 18 from the Sectional Singles Final), if they withdraw prior to or at the Championships their byed spot will not be filled as the maximum entries is 18.​
Perfect! That makes the most sense and what I suspected based on the NQS document.

ice coverage

18 spots in both Sr & Jr.

Currently for the US Senior Men, the following have byes:
1) Nathan Chen, Ilia Malinin, Vincent Zhou, Jason Brown, Camden Pulkinen = 5, but probably only 3 ...

No surprise, but a new USFS document (as of Nov 6) confirms that Nathan and Vincent will not compete at Nats.

Same document spells out that Yampolsky will have no effect on others.
"Lucas Broussard and Robert Yampolsky have received byes per their qualification to the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final. Yampolsky will be skate at the 2023 Eastern Sectional Singles Final but will not impact the advancement of any other athletes out of the section."​

On My Own

Hiwatashi does amazing transitions sometimes, but I'm not sure which direction he's going in with his career right now. Who is this coach?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
JUNIOR MEN QUALIFYING TO 2023 Nationals

JGP QUALIFIERS
Robert Yampolsky 223 JGP (201 Sectionals)
Lucas Broussard 211 JGP
-------
SECTIONALS
Michael Xie 207
Beck Strommer 191
Lucius Kazanecki 182
Kirk Haugeto 173
Daniiel Murzin 172
Jacob Sanchez 171
Nhat-Viet Nguyen 167
Taira Shinohara 166
Alexander Liu 164
Jonathan Hildebrandt 154
Sergei Evseev 145
Allan Fisher 135

Top 2 from Novice qualify for Junior
-------
Nicholas Brooks 147
Zachary LoPinto 145
Aleksandr Fegan 144
Lorenzo Elano 127
Vaclav Vasquez 124
Connor O'Grady 106

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR MEN 2023 Nationals Qualifiers

Ilia Malinin 280 intl
Joonsoo Kim 230 sec
Maxim Naumov 227 intl/ 213 sec
Liam Kapeikis 223 intl
Camden Pulkinen 219 intl
Jimmy Ma 216 intl
Daniel Martynov 216 sec/ 187 intl
Andrew Torgashev 210 sec
Matthew Nielsen 206 sec
Joseph Klein 205 sec/ 187 intl
Dinh Tran 199 intl
Yaroslav Paniot 194 sec
Goku Endo 193 sec
Samuel Mindra 190 sec
Mitchell Friess 188 sec
Tomoki Hiwatashi 188 intl
William Annis 180 intl
Jason Brown no score

Karen-W

Based on Sectionals results, I'd be assigning Joonsoo Kim & Andrew Torgashev to Golden Spin so they can attempt to get their TES mins. Naumov & Martynov are already assigned to Warsaw Cup next week, so they have a chance to improve their SB, which is good.

The USFS Int'l Assignments page has added Santa Claus Cup (Thanksgiving weekend in Budapest - Men, Women & Dance), so there's a possibility they'll send Nielsen and Klein there so that they can attempt to get the Worlds TES mins. Paniot already has the TES mins from the 2021 Cranberry Cup.

ETA - of course, they would need to add Kim & Torgashev to the ISP too, which they should!

Karen-W

Ilia Malinin 280 intl
Joonsoo Kim 230 sec
Liam Kapeikis 223 intl
Camden Pulkinen 219 intl
Jimmy Ma 216 intl
Andrew Torgashev 210 sec
Matthew Nielsen 206 sec
Dinh Tran 199 intl
Yaroslav Paniot 194 sec
Goku Endo 193 sec
Samuel Mindra 190 sec
Mitchell Friess 188 sec
William Annis 180 intl
Jason Brown no score
Don't forget that Ilia, Camden and Tomoki all have another GP, so they could easily raise those scores. Same for Max & Daniel. It's going to be fun to track, lol.

clairecloutier

A while back, I questioned here whether USFS should have assigned Liam Kapeikis to the Skate America TBA spot (instead of, say, Hiwatashi).

Well, after Liam's win at Ice Challenge yesterday and his very creditable placement at Skate America, I was obviously wrong on that count. :saint: Clearly, he did merit the SA TBA spot. He is now #28 on the ISU season's-best list, which is very respectable for a first-year senior, considering the depth in men's.

I hope that Tomoki can do better at his next event, but alas, his season just isn't going well so far. :(

Karen-W

A while back, I questioned here whether USFS should have assigned Liam Kapeikis to the Skate America TBA spot (instead of, say, Hiwatashi).

Well, after Liam's win at Ice Challenge yesterday and his very creditable placement at Skate America, I was obviously wrong on that count. :saint: Clearly, he did merit the SA TBA spot. He is now #28 on the ISU season's-best list, which is very respectable for a first-year senior, considering the depth in men's.

I hope that Tomoki can do better at his next event, but alas, his season just isn't going well so far. :(
But when the initial assignments came out, there was still a TBD host spot for SkAm and Tomoki was assigned to NHK. The USFS seemed to be gambling, correctly, that Tomoki would be able to pick up a 2nd assignment. If anything should have been questioned, I would have thought it was Sjoberg being given that TBD spot, but YMMV.

yurokis40

I hope Chock and bates defend their title at nationals , I can`t decide who is more boring Carreira and Ponomarenko or green and Parsons. Hawayek and baker have zero competition for silver.

VGThuy

I hope Chock and bates defend their title at nationals , I can`t decide who is more boring Carreira and Ponomarenko or green and Parsons. Hawayek and baker have zero competition for silver.
This post is in the wrong thread. This is the US Mens thread.

But since you posted it here...do you only uber Canadian ice dance teams and change the target of the same old criticisms you make by whichever team poses a threat to Canadian ice dance teams?

Sylvia

TBD
I made a clip of Liam Kapeikis' first 4S landed cleanly in competition :) (FS in Graz this past Saturday): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1591554656890949633

Sylvia

TBD
Based on Sectionals results, I'd be assigning Joonsoo Kim & Andrew Torgashev to Golden Spin so they can attempt to get their TES mins.
ETA - of course, they would need to add Kim & Torgashev to the ISP too, which they should!
Joonsoo Kim's Pacific Coast Sectional win (155.74 in FS, 230.45 total) was really impressive to watch yesterday! 8 clean triples landed, all with positive GOE (3A, 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3S+2A+2A, 3S) and all level 4s. He also skated a clean SP (3A, 3Lz, 3F+3T & all level 4s) to win both segments.

His 2020-21 Team USA profile: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/joonsoo-kim/389
He's 22 now, graduated from UCLA in December 2021 with a degree in psychobiology, and returned to competing this year after taking off 2021-22 (ETA - he did compete at the U.S. Collegiate Championships in July 2021 and won the silver).
Joonsoo has only competed twice internationally (2019 Bavarian Open as a junior & the 2019 Philadelphia Summer International as a senior) - link to his rather empty ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103543.htm

Andrew Torgashev's comeback this season has been more gradual, with Easterns being the first time he attempted both a 3A and 4T in his FS (fell or stepped out of 4Tq and 3A< in both programs).

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American
I have a soft spot for Joonsoo because he's a fellow UCLA Bruin. That freeskate was really beautiful - every jump was like swish. I missed his short and because Peacock is so mean I can't go back to watch on replay.... still mad and salty about it!! Hope he skates well at Nationals!

DreamSkates

Ilia Malinin 280 intl
Joonsoo Kim 230 sec
Liam Kapeikis 223 intl
Camden Pulkinen 219 intl
Jimmy Ma 216 intl
Andrew Torgashev 210 sec
Matthew Nielsen 206 sec
Dinh Tran 199 intl
Yaroslav Paniot 194 sec
Goku Endo 193 sec
Samuel Mindra 190 sec
Mitchell Friess 188 sec
William Annis 180 intl
Jason Brown no score
I am excited to see these men compete at Nationals in Jan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information