U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) currently competing men's status updates after Sectionals with placements included where applicable:

SENIOR (these 15 have qualified for 2023 Nationals + Joonsoo Kim P1, Andrew Torgashev E2, Mitchell Friess M4):
William Annis (Bye)
Jason Brown (Bye)
Goku Endo P3
Tomoki Hiwatashi (Bye)
Liam Kapeikis (Bye)
Joseph Klein M3
Jimmy Ma (Bye)
Ilia Malinin (Bye)
Daniel Martynov M1
Samuel Mindra P4 - has a really cool percussion SP to "Earthquake" by by Andries de Haan (one of my fave performances at Sectionals!)
Maxim Naumov E1
Matthew Nielsen M2
Yaroslav Paniot P2
Camden Pulkinen (Bye)
Dinh Tran (Bye)

Did not qualify for Nationals :(:
Kai Kovar P6 (175.72)
Eric Sjoberg - did not compete at Pacs due to injury
Maxim Zharkov M5 (184.99)

Note: Max Lake P5 (187.97), who landed a 4T in both programs, is the first alternate.

JUNIOR (these 10 in the ISP have qualified for 2023 Nationals + Daniil Murzin P2, Sergei Evseev P3, Allan Fisher P4, Alexander Liu M4 & the top 2 Novices in each Sectional):
Lucas Broussard (Bye); JGP Final next
Kirk Haugeto E3
Jonathan Hildebrandt E5
Lucius Kazanecki E2
Nhat-Viet Nguyen M2
Jacob Sanchez E4
Taira Shinohara M3
Beck Strommer M1
Michael Xie P1
Robert Yampolsky (Bye; E1); JGP Final next

Did not qualify for Nationals:
Lake Liao M9
Antonio Monaco M6
Midwesterns was the deepest Sectional in Junior - I wish both Anthony Mugg M5 (162.71) and Monaco (160.18) could have qualified for Nationals as well. :(

ETA my Senior Men's compilation from the Sectionals thread in Kiss & Cry:
SENIOR MEN qualified for 2023 Nationals based on top 2 placement at Sectionals:
Joonsoo Kim, Los Angeles FSC 230.45 (P1)
Daniel Martynov, Great Lakes FSC 216.87 (M1)
Maxim Naumov, SC of Boston 213.41 (E1)
Andrew Torgashev, Panthers FSC 210.31 (E2)
Matthew Nielsen, Winterhurst FSC 206.55 (M2)
Yaroslav Paniot, All Year FSC 194.41 (P2)

Next Best Scores (4):
Joseph Klein, Skokie Valley SC 205.35 (M3)
Goku Endo, Los Angeles FSC 193.29 (P3)
Samuel Mindra, Portland ISC 190.66 (P4)
Mitchell Friess, St. Paul FSC 188.14 (M4)
===
Max Lake, All Year FSC 187.97 (P5)
Philip Baker, SC of Boston 186.08 (E3)
Maxim Zharkov, Dallas FSC 184.99 (M5)
Nathan Chapple, Winterhurst FSC 180.61 (M6)
Kai Kovar, Wasatch FSC 175.72 (P6)

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

SP: Melancholy
LP: Impossible Dream

So, basically, we're going to be crying all the time. I'm fine with that.

But, most importantly, in this article he drops something much more important.

Jason just threw his hat into the 2026 ring, holy shit. I positively screamed. Not just one year, not just one last one, but more! More Jason! More years of Jason! :cheer:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

Jason just threw his hat into the 2026 ring, holy shit. I positively screamed. Not just one year, not just one last one, but more! More Jason! More years of Jason! :cheer:
Very timidly. He's not shutting the door, but he doesn't seem resoundingly confident that this approach he's taking this season will work. Sure, in the short-term, given just how inconsistent the US men are, he'll probably make the World team, but beyond that? He's not even committed to, for sure, skating beyond 2023 Nationals (and, likely, Worlds).

VGThuy

Now all that talk about him taking someone's spot who "deserves it" so they can gain experience because they have committed to compete till 2026 can go somewhere else. Whether or not he'll be able to compete for a spot by 2026, he seems to be open about trying and if he will show up to Nationals this year, then it seems he will take any assignment he earns and take it seriously...even with all the "his terms" talk. If the other guys can beat him for the Worlds spot, then they will. If not, then Jason deserves whatever assignments he gets.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I can’t find his fan thread so here’s this

Adam Rippon celebrates turning 33 with some sweet life advice and a twinky throwback photo

Adam Rippon just celebrated turning 33. He marked the occasion by posting a throwback photo of himself from ten years ago. It shows him, aged 23, shortly after relocating to California and before he found widespread fame with his skating.

Sylvia

TBD
I can’t find his fan thread
I've re-posted your article link here:
Yes, Rippon grew up around/outside of Scranton, PA.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' International Assignments page was last updated today (Nov 18) and currently lists the same 3 men who are on the ISU entries list, published on Nov. 17, for CS Golden Spin of Zagreb, Dec. 7-10, 2022:
Tomoki HIWATASHI
Ilia MALININ ( (eta: likely placeholder - GPF is the same week in Torino)
Camden PULKINEN

Subs listed in ISU entries:
Liam KAPEIKIS
Maxim NAUMOV
Yaroslav PANIOT

Last edited:

Jammers

USFS' International Assignments page was last updated today (Nov 18) and currently lists the same 3 men who are on the ISU entries list, published on Nov. 17, for CS Golden Spin of Zagreb, Dec. 7-10, 2022 (same week as the ISU Grand Prix Final in Torino):
Tomoki HIWATASHI
Ilia MALININ
Camden PULKINEN

Subs listed in ISU entries:
Liam KAPEIKIS
Maxim NAUMOV
Yaroslav PANIOT
Why would they list Ilia when most likely he will make the GP final?

Karen-W

Naumov should be the one to replace Ilia here. He needs the standings points and I could definitely see him on the podium at nationals.
Let's see what he does at Warsaw Cup later tomorrow. The one who needs the WS points and a SB score, plus just back on the international radar is Paniot. Who knows who the USFS will select though, lol.

toddlj

Let's see what he does at Warsaw Cup later tomorrow. The one who needs the WS points and a SB score, plus just back on the international radar is Paniot. Who knows who the USFS will select though, lol.
Understood but Paniot looked unready at sectionals... he simplified his program quite a bit. Likely he needs more recovery time.

Karen-W

Understood but Paniot looked unready at sectionals... he simplified his program quite a bit. Likely he needs more recovery time.
Oh, I agree 100%. He has the Worlds TES mins still (Cranberry Cup 2021), so, theoretically, he doesn't need to be sent out to a Challenger - he can get on the SB list with a 4CCs or Worlds assignment. I'd rather he recover from whatever was going on at Sectionals - I was a little surprised to see him as one of the substitutes instead of, say, Joseph Klein.

jlai

Question everything
S' International page currently lists the same 3 men who are on the ISU entries list for CS Golden Spin of Zagreb, Dec. 7-10, 2022 (same week as the ISU Grand Prix Final in Torino):
Tomoki HIWATASHI
Ilia MALININ
Camden PULKINEN
Oh, I agree 100%. He has the Worlds TES mins still (Cranberry Cup 2021), so, theoretically, he doesn't need to be sent out to a Challenger - he can get on the SB list with a 4CCs or Worlds assignment. I'd rather he recover from whatever was going on at Sectionals - I was a little surprised to see him as one of the substitutes instead of, say, Joseph Klein.
I suspect there are informal rules about these things and they need to at least show to give Panioy consideration. Thx

Karen-W

And we have the full list of skaters qualified for Nats published by the USFS today!

Senior Men
Junior Men
  • Aleksandr Fegan (novice sectionals)
  • Alexander Liu (junior sectionals)
  • Allan Fisher (junior sectionals)
  • Beck Strommer (junior sectionals)
  • Connor O'Grady (notice sectionals)
  • Daniil Murzin (junior sectionals)
  • Jacob Sanchez (junior sectionals)
  • Jonathan Hildebrandt (junior sectionals)
  • Kirk Haugeto (junior sectionals)
  • Lorenzo Elano (novice sectionals)
  • Lucas Broussard (bye)
  • Lucius Kazanecki (junior sectionals)
  • Michael Xie (junior sectionals)
  • Nhat-Viet Nguyen (junior sectionals)
  • Nicholas Brooks (novice sectionals)
  • Robert Yampolsky (bye)
  • Sergei Evseev (junior sectionals)
  • Taira Shinohara (junior sectionals)
  • Vaclav Vasquez (novice sectionals)
  • Zachary LoPinto (novice sectionals)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Great group of entries for Winter University Games in Lake Placid, per USFS assignments page today:

Nathan Chapple
Goku Endo
Dinh Tran​

Opening ceremony: Jan 12, 7 - 9 pm

SP: Jan 13, 5 - 10 pm

FD: Jan 15: 1 - 4:50 pm

I'm excited for all of these guys!

(For Goku and Dinh, Nats SP is on Jan 27.)

ice coverage

Joonsoo Kim's Pacific Coast Sectional win (155.74 in FS, 230.45 total) was really impressive to watch yesterday! 8 clean triples landed, all with positive GOE (3A, 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3S+2A+2A, 3S) and all level 4s. He also skated a clean SP (3A, 3Lz, 3F+3T & all level 4s) to win both segments.

His 2020-21 Team USA profile: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/joonsoo-kim/389
He's 22 now, graduated from UCLA in December 2021 with a degree in psychobiology, and returned to competing this year after taking off 2021-22 (ETA - he did compete at the U.S. Collegiate Championships in July 2021 and won the silver).
Joonsoo has only competed twice internationally (2019 Bavarian Open as a junior & the 2019 Philadelphia Summer International as a senior) - link to his rather empty ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103543.htm ...

After really delivering at sectionals, Joonsoo Kim 🤗 has been added to USFS ISP -- and has been assigned to Edusport EduSport Trophy in Romania. 🥳
The event is two weeks before Nats.

Last edited:

mtnskater

What’s the story about Malinin wearing a boot off the ice??? Someone posted that in another thread.

Sylvia

TBD
What’s the story about Malinin wearing a boot off the ice???
From this Fan Zone article by Darci Miller (Dec. 6): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...d-his-quad-axel-head-to-grand-prix-final.aspx
ngfanzone.com usfigureskatingfanzone.com
A month after Skate America, Malinin had his second Grand Prix assignment at the Grand Prix of Espoo in Finland. He won his second Grand Prix title despite an overuse injury to his left foot and removing all Lutzes from his programs.
Malinin says his foot is now feeling much better, which is fortunate, as his two wins qualified him for the ISU Grand Prix Final on Dec. 8-11 in Torino, Italy.
He didn't include any Lutzes in his programs in Torino either.

ETA - excerpts from the ISU's Quick Quotes document after Malinin's FS earlier today:
(on his goal for the rest of the season) My goal is to definitely make sure that I'm able to be comfortable with my short program, because as of right now it's been a bit messy, and I think that now that I have a little bit before other competitions I can really put in the time and effort to work on this program.
(on the injury affecting his performance) I mean yeah we've definitely worked on it a bit, just to make sure it doesn't put a lot of pressure on there. We took out all the Lutzes, because I mean it hurt when I was doing Lutzes. I think it helped, because I'm not putting so much force on this leg and I think that with now that this is over I have a little bit of time before competition [Nationals], I can take a little bit of a break and just make sure, see how things are looking and just make a decision from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information