U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

So just to be clear, what is the age cutoff at which point skaters should no longer be given a world or Olympic team spot even if they beat the younger skaters at nationals? If we make it 25 and/or require a long-term commitment to continue competing, what are we going to do with Nathan Chen if he decides to come back for a season at age 26? “Sorry, Nathan, we need to invest in skaters with future potential instead.” Are we also excluding Jimmy Ma from consideration for the world team this year since he’s about the same age as Jason and hasn’t publicly committed to pursuing a 2026 Olympic spot? I just think we should probably put some clear criteria in writing so skaters don’t waste time and money trying to compete at nationals when they’re already past their expiration dates.

Or alternatively, we could wait and see what these guys do at nationals and select a world team based on demonstrated performance ability at that time rather than making wild guesses about what they may or may not be capable of or interested in doing three years from now.
I don't understand what you are saying here, especially because I very much DID say we should have the debate after nationals in an earlier post.

Nowhere did I say Brown shouldn't be sent no matter what happens at nationals, and I very much DO point out what is in his favour a couple of times, and why it might be advantageous for the USFS to send him. It would be foolish to say no if he ends up with silver and a 90 point margin over bronze. I just disagree in any normal scenario it is "discrimination" if he isn't sent, because then I can equally apply "discrimination" to other skaters from multiple other points of view. Brown has his own reputation that they judges actually recognize, that others very much do lack - this consideration is in HIS favour, nobody else's currently. So let's not slip into saying he's somehow being "discriminated" against whenever someone so much as disagrees with team selection. All it means is someone disagrees. Using "ageism" there frankly devalues a loaded term.

VGThuy

This thread turned into a total buzzkill.
I know. I'm sorry that I made my original what I thought to be innocuous statement that started this whole thing. Let's all move on, shall we? Let's talk about the Grand Prix de France!

ETA: Oh wait, there are no American men competing there...

LeafOnTheWind

I didn't see any program announcements from Jason and wonder when we will know. I am very curious about them.

Trillian

I didn't see any program announcements from Jason and wonder when we will know. I am very curious about them.

It’s hard to imagine him going back to either of last year’s programs, since neither was new then. But it’s also hard to imagine he’ll have time to develop something totally new.

For the SP, I’d personally love to see “I Can’t Go On Without You” again, but a competitive version of his “Melancholy” exhibition could be a good option too.

I wouldn’t be surprise if he sticks with “The Impossible Dream” for the FS - he did that one at the Japan Open, correct? My mute button should come in handy if he does. ;)

Hedwig

Antique member
I just don't understand why we need to have this discussion in early November. Why not just wait until Nationals? LOL. There's still a lot of skating to come between now and then ....
for me it is not a discussion about Jason per se (I am a Jason fan but I am just happy to see him compete again, does not have to be Worlds) but a general discussion - when do you stop skating with someone as a pair because they seem to old? When do you stop supporting a skater because as good as they are now, they might not be next year and is it then fair not to send someone who earned a spot because of age? These are general discussions that are popping up all the time.

Allskate

It was amazing to see his Riverdance number with Shane Lynn Bourne, done at this much more mature stage of his career. The video is on his FB but not publicly shareable, I think.

There's a video somewhere else. I saw it and don't do FB. I can't remember where it is, though. Although it was fun to see him do that with Shae Lynn, I would prefer that he not bring back Riverdance or do a greatest hits medley at Nationals even if this is is a farewell competition or farewell season.

Last edited:

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
There's a video somewhere else. I saw it and don't do FB. I can't remember where it is, though. Although it was fun to see him do that with Shae Lynn, I would prefer that he not bring back Riverdance or do a greatest hits medley at Nationals even if this is is a farewell competition or farewell season.
I saw it too (the link was on Reddit), and had it bookmarked, but it looks like it got yanked for copyright. Not sure if it's out there any longer.

I'm just happy to get to watch Jason for another season. While of course, I'd be happy if he medals, I'm feeling less nervous about it... I think he's pretty much accomplished as much as he can in his career (outside of a World medal, but I'm not seeing that as in the cards at this point)... so I can sit back an enjoy his skating, the way I also enjoy all of the other US men, even the ones (sometimes especially the ones) who are unlikely to finish in the top four.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just a heads up that the Jr & Sr Men's events for all three Sectionals are available in Peacock to add to your "My Stuff" -

Midwestern Jr Men's SP - Nov 8th - 8:35am ET
Midwestern Sr Men's SP - Nov 8th - 12:40pm ET
Eastern Jr Men's SP - Nov 9th - 12:50pm ET
Eastern Sr Men's SP - Nov 10th - 8am ET
Midwestern Jr Men's FS - Nov 10th - 12:55pm ET
Midwestern Sr Men's FS - Nov 10th - 2:30pm ET
Eastern Jr Men's FS - Nov 11th - 8:20am ET
Eastern Sr Men's FS - Nov 12th - 12pm ET
Pacific Coast Jr Men's SP - Nov 12th - 11am PT
Pacific Coast Sr Men's SP - Nov 12th - 4:50pm PT
Pacific Coast Jr Men's FS - Nov 13th - 11:15am PT
Pacific Coast Sr Men's FS - Nov 13th - 1:10pm PT

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
This thread turned into a total buzzkill.
Yeah. Not even a full page of happy comments before it all turned to crud.
I would assume that he will continue with The Impossible Dream for his FS, since that was freshly done for JO, absolutely lovely, and would be a perfect theme for this. He hasn't said anything about an SP yet, but there's still plenty of time; he might make a new one, or perhaps bring back an old one; I believe his Melancholy piece was originally planned as an alternative SP to Sinnerman, so he might choose that.

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
I loved Jason's 'Melancholy' program, so I'd be happy if he used that as his short. Or 'Love is a Bitch,' one of my all time faves. But really, it doesn't matter to me which programs he chooses. I just hope to be there to see him skate. It has been a rough year and the thought of seeing Jason compete again, in person, gives me extra determination to make it through a dark time. I will take whatever happy moments I can get!

ice coverage

Start orders for Eastern Singles Sectionals (and U.S. Dance Final) have been published.

Four entries for senior men: Naumov, Torgashev, Philip Baker, Jacob DeWolfe.

Robert Yampolsky is listed for junior men, along with Kirk Haugeto, Lucius Kazenecki, Jonathan Hildebrandt, Jacob Sanchez, and others.

Aleksandr Fegan is listed for novice men, along with David Race (who is on my personal "one to watch" list) and others.​

As previously mentioned, Yampolsky, Haugeto, and Fegan were the three from the men's discipline who had attended the camp for USFS Emerging Athletes (in August alongside Champs Camp).
For posterity, will segue into adding that Broussard was designated as one of this season's Emerging Athletes, but couldn't attend the camp "because of competition scheduling conflicts." (Ditto for Seo and Neset/Markelov.) Source: Skating magazine, Oct 2022 issue, p. 28.
Sorry if I missed or have forgotten a post from @Sylvia or someone else that spelled out the inclusion of Broussard and the other absentees.

Karen-W

Start orders for Eastern Singles Sectionals (and U.S. Dance Final) have been published.

Four entries for senior men: Naumov, Torgashev, Philip Baker, Jacob DeWolfe.​
Robert Yampolsky is listed for junior men, along with Kirk Haugeto, Lucius Kazenecki, Jonathan Hildebrandt, Jacob Sanchez, and others.​
Aleksandr Fegan is listed for novice men, along with David Race (who is on my personal "one to watch" list) and others.​
Start orders for Midwestern Singles Sectionals are also available.

Eight entries for senior men: Friess, Ian Kang, Nielsen, Klein, Dylan Wajda, Zharkov, Martynov, Nathan Chapple

Junior men have 12 entries: Beck Strommer, Alexander Liu, Taira Shinohara, Anthony Monaco, Lake Liao are the notable names.

Not sure who to look out for among Novice Men, but Intermediate Men includes Mikhail Mokhov (younger brother of Maria & Ivan).

Still waiting for Pacific Coast Sectionals start orders to be uploaded.

ice coverage

Start orders for Midwestern Singles Sectionals are also available. ...

Junior men have 12 entries: Beck Strommer, Alexander Liu, Taira Shinohara, Anthony Monaco, Lake Liao are the notable names.

Not sure who to look out for among Novice Men ...

FWIW, re Midwestern:

I enjoyed Nhat-Viet Nguyen at 2022 Nats in Junior Men.​

Bits from 2022 Novice Challenge Skate:​
- Mark Williams placed third. He is from Pacific section (training mate of Mindra, I believe), but also is entered in U.S. Pairs Final.​
- Jon Maravilla placed fifth. Coached by Yuka Sato.​
- Samuel Eckenroed won the Mabel Fairbanks Developmental Award in 2021-22. Coached by Cains.​

Fun(?) fact: By my count, at least eight men (and at least six women) are entered both in Pairs Final and in Singles Sectionals.​

Luke Wang, junior pairs + junior men (partner Olivia Flores, pairs + novice women)​
Andrew Bai, novice pairs + junior men​
Carter Griffin, novice pairs + novice men​
Jared McPike, intermediate pairs + novice men (partner Jolena Grohne, pairs + novice women)​
Mark Williams, intermediate pairs + novice men (partner Clara Finkelstein, pairs + intermediate women)​
Luciano Chen, intermediate pairs + intermediate men​
Thomas McClure, intermediate pairs + intermediate men​
Ian Spencer, juvenile pairs + intermediate men​

Karen-W

Mark Williams placed third. He is from Pacific section (training mate of Mindra, I believe), but also is entered in U.S. Pairs Final.
I'm not sure if they're training mates. Williams' club is Carousel Sherwood and Mindra is Portland ISC, IIRC. Not that they couldn't have the same coach, but my assumption is that Mark trains down in Sherwood and Samuel trains up in Vancouver (PISC's main rink is Mountain View). If that's correct, that's a good 45 minute drive, longer with traffic.

ice coverage

I'm not sure if they're training mates. Williams' club is Carousel Sherwood and Mindra is Portland ISC, IIRC. Not that they couldn't have the same coach, but my assumption is that Mark trains down in Sherwood and Samuel trains up in Vancouver (PISC's main rink is Mountain View). If that's correct, that's a good 45 minute drive, longer with traffic.

Mari Malama has been a recent coach of both Williams and Mindra, but whether still true to this day for both, I do not know.

FWIW, here is a Nov 2021 photo of Williams and Mindra together at Sherwood:

ETA:​
LOL, this just in ... per post today, Mari Malama still is a coach of Mark Williams.​
But I can't be sure about Mindra.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information