U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
^^^^ say what??? Well I was looking at his last name in the start order.. and Im like thats odd....... I know Tatiana from early 2000s....

How did I not know?

I need to switch pharmacists.

concorde

You are correct - Ilia is the son of Tatiana and Roman (who are also his coaches). Ilia is only 14 years old - he just started his freshman year of high school. He skates out Reston, VA
At Nationals last years (2019) he placed 2nd in both the Novice Short and Long but in a weird twist of the scoring system wound up placing 3rd. In 2018, we got 5th in Easterns so did not qualify for Nationals :( In 2017, he was the Intermediate National Champion. In 2016, we was the Juvenile National Champion.
He has a consistent 3A and has landed some 4S in practice.

concorde

Any idea how to get the ISU JGP LP results/scores links corrected? The results page shows the correct information; however the protocol link goes to the short protocols from last year's Junior Worlds.

I was interested in how the judges scored the US skaters (beyond total points received).

RoseRed

Any idea how to get the ISU JGP LP results/scores links corrected? The results page shows the correct information; however the protocol link goes to the short protocols from last year's Junior Worlds.

I was interested in how the judges scored the US skaters (beyond total points received).
The protocol goes to the correct info for me, with Shun Sato listed as the first skater (and has since it was posted).

concorde

The protocol goes to the correct info for me, with Shun Sato listed as the first skater (and has since it was posted).
Just tried it again. For the men, I still get protocols from Junior Worlds. For pairs, I get the correct protocols.

Debbie S

Just tried it again. For the men, I still get protocols from Junior Worlds. For pairs, I get the correct protocols.
I get the correct protocols, too. If you are looking at it on your phone and you previously looked at the JW protocols on your phone, your phone may have cached the older doc and reading the current link as the same (my phone tried to tell me I already downloaded it...uh, no). Actually, that could happen with your desktop too, but mine seems to be OK.

barbarafan

I get the correct protocols, too. If you are looking at it on your phone and you previously looked at the JW protocols on your phone, your phone may have cached the older doc and reading the current link as the same (my phone tried to tell me I already downloaded it...uh, no). Actually, that could happen with your desktop too, but mine seems to be OK.
mine has been right as well......on desktop

Jammers

To bad Ilia finished 3rd in both segments but was off the podium but he might be the next US men's Junior to make a name for himself he has big potential. With the aging out of the top Junior men the last couple of years right now the depth isn't there but seeing the two 14 year olds here i see the US men being strong in Juniors again in short time. The fact that Ilia already has a 3axel at this age is a good thing too it seems like a lot of Junior skaters who are still struggling to get a 3axel in their late teens never get a solid one as they move up. He's a natural jumper and i see him doing quads soon too.

Colonel Green

I was very impressed by Ilia.

Somebody in the Uzbek fed is probably disappointed he didn't choose to go the path of least resistance to international assignments, instead fighting to climb the ladder in the USA. But Ilia's clearly got the talent to do that.

concorde

Congrats to Ilia! Kinda deja-vu from Nationals, 2 3rd place finishes but wound up 4th overall. Huge bummer he did not medal. The good news is that Ilia is a fighter and I am confident he wants a medal. I expect him to medal at his next JP event.

Fyi. Neither of Ilia's parents are Uzbecki. They both skated for the USSR and when it broke up, Uzbeckistan was where they "landed."

olympic

Both Ilia and Joe are adorable and I already love them! Too bad about the popped loop for Ilia - he could've got the silver here had he not popped, but good job to all the men here - Ryan Dunk is a lovely skater too - proud of the U.S. guys.

Even a rotated 3T on back end of the combo in the SP would have won him a silver medal.

aftershocks

Banned Member
At Nationals last years (2019) he placed 2nd in both the Novice Short and Long but in a weird twist of the scoring system wound up placing 3rd.

Similar to this latest competition, wherein Ilia placed third in both segments, but landed in 4th behind two skaters who did not skate as consistently in one of either their long or short programs (S. Gogolev and Gleb Luftfullin). :COP:

I see a 'popped loop' is said to be the difference in the scoring keeping Ilia back in 4th place. I would think the math of Gogolev being in 2nd in sp and 5th in fp, with Gleb 5th in sp and 2nd in fp also having a lot to do with the placement outcome for Ilia.

natsulian

Matt, Joe, and Illia seem to be our new trifecta. Illia already has a pretty good 4S and he said it should be added into his program by the second half of the season. Illia could very well place in the Top 6 at Junior Worlds with just his two 3A, but with a solid 4S... watch out.

Joe is a little firecracker and that cantilever into the 3S... stunning. He has natural charisma, poise, and superb skating skills. I cannot wait to see him with harder elements.

Matt has some of the beautiful jumps and just needs to keep it together, especially in the Free. His 3A is new this year so it’s a little wonky, but his 3Lz+3T is GORGEOUS.

I remember the talk over the summer was about the lack of depth in the junior division. However, with just two events into the Junior Grand Prix, we already have so much talent. Best of luck to the men.

Marco

Even a rotated 3T on back end of the combo in the SP would have won him a silver medal.

I know. Ironically I was just marvelling over his good technique, and it turns out it's a jump that cost him a medal.

olympic

I know. Ironically I was just marvelling over his good technique, and it turns out it's a jump that cost him a medal.

Just wanted to add that I watched Ilia's LP and I was amazed by his technique and the pop on the jumps, especially the 3A.

aftershocks

Banned Member
All three young men (Matthew, Ilia, and Joseph) are very talented and fun to watch, especially Ilia and Joe. I can see why young Joe is receiving some 'Jason Brown' comparisons. Of course, Joe has his own unique talents. I love his air kicks, his polished style at such a young age, and his confidence in his performance ability. Ilia's blond good looks and long-legged athleticim is reminiscent of another Ilia (Kulik).

I was also impressed by the variety and stylishness of the costumes in the junior men's field; strong colors, polished designs, sequins, geometic patterns, but not too overdone. There is a clear impact and influence we are seeing from Nathan Chen's Vera Wang-designed costumes, along with other design influences and inspirations.

Sylvia

TBD
Sean Rabbitt Q&A article, published today [August 12, 2019] by FSOnline: http://figureskatersonline.com/news...his-season-is-to-love-skating-and-to-inspire/
Blog interview with Sean Rabbitt (Sept. 6): http://lastwords.pythonanywhere.com/post/32/

Sean debuted his "Espana Cani" FS at Golden West two weekends ago (video from the livestream uploaded by a fan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1PXAnhnS6A
He won the FS (137.91) and finished 2nd overall (205.09) to Yaroslav Paniot (213.80) who, interestingly, is registered for USFS' NQS and currently 2nd in the standings behind Jimmy Ma (219.95 at Skate Detroit).

Joonsoo Kim was 3rd (190.65), Sebastien Payannet 4th (189.61) and Daniel Kulenkamp 5th (181.32) of the 5 Senior men who competed at Golden West.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Blog interview with Sean Rabbitt (Sept. 6): http://lastwords.pythonanywhere.com/post/32/

Thanks for sharing this interview with Sean:
"... this season the biggest goal is to love skating! I think that's why I have been able to skate for so long is because I just love it. Last year, although successful on paper, I didn't feel as though I did it with love. It was more just me trying to get through the season. I want to enjoy the roots of my skating that has taken me this far... IJS has a tendency to make people seem the same so I want to try and teach skaters to embrace their joy for the sport and show that... I strive for consistency! I want to be as consistent and reliable as possible and so I try to not only be consistent with my jumps or programs but also consistent with my mindset and also the way I approach my daily life and training!"

Sean's striving for consistency shows in his skating! I wish him good luck this season. And I'm sure he will eventually reach his ultimate goal in life of appearing on a Japanese variety show. :) It's nice learning more about Sean and about how he came to love Japan, its food, people, and culture.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top Junior Men scores thus far- (and top novice scores)

Ilia Malinin 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl) (also 201.72 @ JGP)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E (179.15 @ JGP)
Matthew Nielsen (186.71 @ JGP) 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P
Joseph Klein (182.88 @ JGP) /150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P (162.33 @ JGP)
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E

SENIOR MEN top summer club comp scores-

Jimmy Ma 219 Detroit E
Andrew Torgashev 212 Philadelphia M (196.23 @ JGP)
Ryan Dunk 209 Glacier Falls E (188.39 @ JGP)
Alexei Krasnozhon 208 Detroit (bye to Nats)
Sean Rabbitt 205 Golden West P
Dinh Tran 197 Detroit P
Joonsoo Kim 192 Collegiate P
Sebastien Payannet 189 Golden West P
Camden Pulkinen 186 Philadelphia M
Daniel Kulenkamp 181 Golden West P

TBD: Nathan Chen, Jason Brown, Vincent Zhou, Tomoki Hiwatashi

RoseRed

Sean debuted his "Espana Cani" FS at Golden West two weekends ago (video from the livestream uploaded by a fan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1PXAnhnS6A
He won the FS (137.91) and finished 2nd overall (205.09) to Yaroslav Paniot (213.80) who, interestingly, is registered for USFS' NQS and currently 2nd in the standings behind Jimmy Ma (219.95 at Skate Detroit).

Joonsoo Kim was 3rd (190.65), Sebastien Payannet 4th (189.61) and Daniel Kulenkamp 5th (181.32) of the 5 Senior men who competed at Golden West.
There was an article from the Ukranian test skates where it mentioned that he had asked to be released to skate for another country, which was believed to be the US. I don't have the link, but it was posted on FSU a few weeks ago.

Sylvia

TBD
Alex Krasnozhon was named officially to Skate America today (his 2nd GP; he was initially invited to Rostelecom Cup).

Lucas Broussard has been added to USFS' International Selection Pool. He was 12 when he won the 2019 U.S. Juvenile Boys national title (he must have turned 13 before July 1 in order to be eligible for the ISP) and has the top Intermediate Men's score (136.35) in NQS competitions this summer. He won the Novice Men's event at the Sherwood Invitational club competition in Oregon last month with a total score of 161.66. He is coached by Darin Hosier and Corrie Martin in the Seattle area.

Sylvia

TBD
Liam Kapeikis didn't skate as well as he is capable of in his JGP debut in Riga last week, but I'm pleased that @Jeschke approves of his skating! :D (from the PBP thread in the JGP forum in Kiss & Cry):
I really enjoyed Liam Kapeikis' Les Mis FS; this was nice (not overused) music pieces. I really liked his subtle way of skating. A shame the jumps lost him. I am looking forward to see him again!
All the best to Eric Sjoberg (I really enjoyed his FS performance at Glacier Falls to "Winter In Buenos Aires" by Piazzolla that was choreographed by Nadia Kanaeva) in his 3rd JGP appearance and 2019 Novice champion William Annis who is making his JGP debut in Chelyabinsk this week!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information