U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

barbarafan

The Glacier Falls Summer Classic club competition (Thursday, July 18 through Sunday, July 21) recently changed venues from their usual rink in Anaheim to Great Park Ice & FivePoint Arena in Irvine, California (as announced in the competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2019-glacier-falls-summer-classic-venue-moved.105783/

For those who can't access the Kiss & Cry, some of the notable U.S. men registered for the competition include (SENIOR): Sean Rabbitt, Ryan Dunk, Joonsoo Kim, Emmanuel Savary, Paul Yeung; (JUNIOR): Max Lake, Eric Sjoberg, Goku Endo, Liam Kapeikis.
hi..if anyone takes a vid of GoGolev's programs would love if they could post it. He is skating junior apparently.

Tavi

Can't say I'm surprised they changed venues given the trajectory of figure skating at the anaheim rink over the past few years (influential skating director leaving, synchro program downsizing big time, figure skating ice time scrapped for hockey, etc.) and given how obsessed USFS is with the Irvine rink, but I'm still surprised it's such a last minute change.
According to crzesk8dad’s post in kiss n cry, the venue was changed due to rink maintenance. I also noticed that the competition dates are about a week earlier than usual.

crzesk8dad

Can't say I'm surprised they changed venues given the trajectory of figure skating at the anaheim rink over the past few years (influential skating director leaving, synchro program downsizing big time, figure skating ice time scrapped for hockey, etc.) and given how obsessed USFS is with the Irvine rink, but I'm still surprised it's such a last minute change.
Anaheim is still Glacier Falls' home rink and will continue to be. The move was only because the rink was rebuilding the main arena NHL sheet but was unable to meet time deadlines. Note only did the ice need to be made, it had to have time to solidify and harden for upper level events.

Irvine Great Park Ice is the home rink of All Year FSC. They graciously are allowing us to use their home ice.

Last edited:

Tavi

Anaheim is still Glacier Falls' home rink and will continue to be. The move was only because the rink was rebuilding the main arena NHL sheet but was unable to meet time deadlines. Note only did the ice need to be made bit it had to have time to solidify and harden for upper level events.

Irvine Great Park Ice is the home rink of All Year FSC. They graciously are allowing us to use their home ice.
Hi - I know in the past GF has been a public comp with a nominal entry fee. Is that true this year? A friend of mine living in the area is eager to attend. Thanks!

Sylvia

Not yet ready for club comp. season to be underway
As of today, here are the top 7 total scores of the U.S. men who are eligible to be selected for a JGP:

Ryan Dunk 196.32 (68.85 SP, 127.47 FS) Lake Placid (Senior)
Ilia Malinin 191.17 (73.14 SP, 118.03 FS) Atlanta Open (Junior)
Maxim Naumov 189.48 (66.18 SP, 123.30 FS) Lake Placid (Junior)
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest (Junior)
Matthew Nielsen 170.72 (64.46 SP, 106.26 FS) Broadmoor Open (Junior)
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice)
Eric Sjoberg 168.36 L.A. Open (Junior)

ETA:

The first North American Cup Novice Men invitational competition of the summer was held at Skate Milwaukee last week (I started a NAC thread in the Kiss & Cry section and posted this results photo link there but forgot to post here as well): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1149442783360561153
Samuel Mindra won the gold and Robert Yampolsky the bronze.

Last edited:

Tahuu

Dick Button will turn 90 this Thursday. It's also marks the day before* the anniversary of Denis Ten's shocking death last July.

I wonder whether USFS will give a shout out to Button? Uncle Dick should be celebrated more and lauded more often for his contributions before he's gone. I wonder if his family is planning a party for him? Does anyone know how Dick is doing these days? He's active on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PushDicksButton

ETA:
I see @Sylvia has revived the old Dick Button 'auction of his skating collection' thread, so I posted there about his upcoming milestone b'day as well. Perhaps on the day, we can start a new thread here congratulating Dick for his contributions and his amazing longevity!

*as corrected for accuracy by greenapple in the Dick Button thread
HBD to Dick! An icon, 2-time Olympic champion, 5-time world champion, and 7-time US champion.

TSL's tribute video.
AinsworthSports #1 all-time FS ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)