Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

I think it is a combination. Belbin & Agosto were faster under Linichuk than they were under Shpilband, and they were adults when they switched. (You could really tell during compulsories). So, yes, I think speed can be improved with training. I would say that Hubbell & Donohue are also faster with Dubreil & Lauzon than they were with Krylova & Camerlengo. Sometimes, though, it is a matter of nerves & confidence. H&D are not always faster than they were with K&C. Weaver & Poje were sometimes very fast & sometimes more tentative, regardless of who they trained with. So, again, a combination. Sometimes it is a matter of packaging--taking out more intricate elements and using bigger curves. And also sometimes it depends on where an athlete is in their training and his/her/their comfort level with a program during their season. Sometimes with dancers you see them push that speed too far in a big competition, when they are up against someone they will need everything to defeat. And they go right off the edge.

Last edited:

feraina

I think Caroline Zhang could’ve improved too. But she had serious hip issues that limited her cardiovascular training capacity. And probably her jump techniques were such she couldn’t skate faster and still land them. I’d love to hear from her herself though what her major obstacles were.

Tinami Amori

I’m pretty sure she’s (Alysa Liu) pushing herself. She’s the type you have to pull off the ice because she’s so eager.
Great minds think alike!.. :lol:.
Alysa gave an interview, which was posted in the russian press.

Q: who is your idol?
AL: Trusova, of course. she is brave and strong, and i aim to be like her. If she can do 5 quads in a programme, i can do more. During my programme, i think more about the quads than about the presentation.
Q: What is your goal?
AL: to go to the Olympics and skate.

aftershocks

Banned Member
hmmmm is speed something you can really teach?

I think your body can produce speed or it cannot.

I dont think you could have taught Caroline Z speed at any stage or age in her career.

I dont think Osmond nor Kostner nor Harding were taught to skate fast, they simply just had bodies that could do so... thoughts?

Probably coaches can assist skaters with technical advice and exercises to improve their blade skills and edge control, which in turn can lead to improvements in speed and ice coverage.

As @Dobre indicates though, on any given day other factors can impact speed including nerves, competition pressure, and program difficulty which is complicated by jump layout and ice conditions.

As we know, these are just some of the multitude of factors that make figure skating a tough sport.

Last edited:

Stephanie

According to this https://www.teamusa.org/Lausanne-2020-Winter-Youth-Olympic-Games/Meet-Team-USA/Roster Hanna Harrell and Audrey Shin are going to the Youth Olympics

I'm assuming Alysa Liu declined since she would have been the most obvious choice

I'm quite :huh: about Shin as she was outscored on the JGP by Isabelle Inthisone, Kate Wang, Lindsay Thorngren, Sarah Jung, Jessica Lin, and Calista Choi (all age-eligible). I'm guessing they used summer scores (with not the strictest callers)?

ETA: Sorry just saw this news posted in a separate YOG thread also

Sylvia

TBD
This was posted on July 3, 2019 in the YOG thread:
According to this response I received from USFS, "YOG will happen prior to US Champs. The National Qualifying Series will be used to select the YOG Team."
The top 3 Senior Ladies NQS total scores from June 1 to Sept. 15, 2019 were:
Alysa Liu 214.58 Broadmoor Open
Hanna Harrell 182.50 Cannon Texas Open
Audrey Shin 180.22 Golden West Championships

Stephanie

This was posted on July 3, 2019 in the YOG thread:

The top 3 Senior Ladies NQS total scores from June 1 to Sept. 15, 2019 were:
Alysa Liu 214.58 Broadmoor Open
Hanna Harrell 182.50 Cannon Texas Open
Audrey Shin 180.22 Golden West Championships

Thank you very much. To me this doesn't make sense at all since some age-eligible skaters skated junior and others senior in the NQS. :-/

jiejie

According to this https://www.teamusa.org/Lausanne-2020-Winter-Youth-Olympic-Games/Meet-Team-USA/Roster Hanna Harrell and Audrey Shin are going to the Youth Olympics

I'm assuming Alysa Liu declined since she would have been the most obvious choice

I'm quite :huh: about Shin as she was outscored on the JGP by Isabelle Inthisone, Kate Wang, Lindsay Thorngren, Sarah Jung, Jessica Lin, and Calista Choi (all age-eligible). I'm guessing they used summer scores (with not the strictest callers)?

ETA: Sorry just saw this news posted in a separate YOG thread also

Alysa took herself out of the running quite a while ago. She is focused on Nationals. I'd bet the other juniors you mentioned are as well. There's a lot more riding on results at Nationals. Youth Olympics is simply not taken very seriously among many North American skaters (rightfully so, IMO, but that's another story). Shin did not qualify for Nationals this year. Hanna Harrell is a bit of a surprise, but I had her iffy on even skating this season, as she withdrew from her assigned competitions due to injury and I didn't know where she was on recovery/training.

Sylvia

TBD
The top 3 Junior Ladies NQS total scores were:
Kate Wang 177.62 Skate San Francisco (first alternate for YOG, I assume?)
Lindsay Thorngren 173.07 94th Middle Atlantic Championships
Jessica Lin 164.72 Broadmoor Open

concorde

The top 3 Junior Ladies NQS total scores were:
Kate Wang 177.62 Skate San Francisco (first alternate for YOG, I assume?)
Lindsay Thorngren 173.07 94th Middle Atlantic Championships
Jessica Lin 164.72 Broadmoor Open
Curious how the Sectional scores compare to the NQS scores.

Sylvia

TBD
Curious how the Sectional scores compare to the NQS scores.
haribobo compiled Sectional scores earlier in this thread:
SR: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ieving-2020-vision.106360/page-3#post-5688100
Top 2:
Emily Zhang 197 E1 (did not competed in NQS)
Sarah Jung 182 E2 (162 at Philadelphia Summer Championships in early August)

JR: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ieving-2020-vision.106360/page-3#post-5688116
Top 3:
Lindsay Thorngren 170 E1 (173 at Middle Atlantic Championships in Sept.)
Calista Choi 163 M1 (146 at Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational in Sept.)
Isabelle Inthisone 159 M2 (144 at Southport Summer Classic in June)

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Nationals is less than a month away. No way is the girl gonna take a break in her training. I would think it would intensify.

I do wonder who is pushing who in terms of Alyssa and her dad. I really believe that the amount of training she does is over the top even when you compare what to other US JGP athletes of the same age. Just saying the whole scenario is pretty intense. My biggest fear is that if something happens to her and she cannot ice skate, then what? Its alot of eggs in one basket.
Well....I would rather think that her intensity is part of what makes her a champion. Please note, other US JGP athletes of the same age are in a different league.

I think Alysa will be just fine when she no longer skates. I have the feeling that kid will do whatever she decides to do with equal excellence, exuberance, and success.

Tinami Amori

Nationals is less than a month away. No way is the girl gonna take a break in her training. I would think it would intensify.

I do wonder who is pushing who in terms of Alyssa and her dad. I really believe that the amount of training she does is over the top even when you compare what to other US JGP athletes of the same age. Just saying the whole scenario is pretty intense. My biggest fear is that if something happens to her and she cannot ice skate, then what? Its alot of eggs in one basket.

I had to drink hot tee before i can reply comply to this comment......

• Why is it a criteria "how other US Jr. athletes are training and how much"?
  • Do they have same results? they don't...
  • Who said that "how much Alysa is training is too much"? no health indicators or research...
  • Do you even know how much and how she is training, or is it your assumption that it is "too much" and "not like the others" based on few interviews and photos?
  • Maybe "others" are not doing enough?

This is so "USSR mentality"...... be/do like the "others"...... "Others" are often mediocrity. "Others".... really.... :rolleyes:

Carolla5501

Here is The Advocates article on Amber Glenn coming out as bi/pan.

Karina Manta gives Amber a nice shout

I know the advocate is proud of her for coming out, but I’m Not sure if she’s really a favorite to win the national championship.

And honestly I wish we lived in a world where it didn’t matter and this wasn’t news

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

concorde

I had to drink hot tee before i can reply comply to this comment......

• Why is it a criteria "how other US Jr. athletes are training and how much"?
  • Do they have same results? they don't...
  • Who said that "how much Alysa is training is too much"? no health indicators or research...
  • Do you even know how much and how she is training, or is it your assumption that it is "too much" and "not like the others" based on few interviews and photos?
  • Maybe "others" are not doing enough?

This is so "USSR mentality"...... be/do like the "others"...... "Others" are often mediocrity. "Others".... really.... :rolleyes:
We are all entitled to our own opinions.:)

I know how much some other US JGP skaters (current and past) practice. I have also seem the consequences of overuse injuries and it ain't pretty. Just saying skating has an ugly side that not all fans are aware of.

I have also seen some parents pushing kids to skate longer and watched those same parents drag the kids from and rink to rink each night. If that is all the kids know, they go along with it.

Not saying the above applies to Alyssa. For her sake, I hope it does not.

aftershocks

Banned Member

It looks under-rotated to me. Please, can we allow her to grow up and learn how to become a complete skater without excessive over-adulation and burnout by age 16 or sooner?

Attempted quads at age 11. Over-expectations by age 13, brief glorification at 15, burnout by 16, failed attempt to comeback at 17, hip surgery and/or back surgery at 19... :drama:

Here are profiles on another very hopeful and adorable Mia, in her local hometown newspaper. She qualified to compete at Nationals in junior ladies in January:

This particular Mia is 16, which the way ladies figure skating has been heading, seems a bit old and nearly ready to be put out to pasture. Once again, the news publication has no idea of how next to impossible it will be for Mia to go far in this sport, particularly without quads and triple-axels these days. Heaven help us.

Last edited:

natsulian

I believe that it is okay to worry about skaters and their general health when it concerns quick development. However, so often, I see people commenting on Twitter, Instagram, etc... to voice their "concerns" when their concern is to only degrade and debase the skater. I do think it is as much the sport's fault as it is the skaters' and coach's when we see how fast these young girls are learning triples, quads, etc. The sport is moving... fast and it's understandable that young athletes who shoot for the stars will want to keep up. Nevertheless, it is the coach's job to maintain a steady grip and lead the youngster to their goals without burn-out. HOWEVER, because we've entered an age in ladies figure skating that is uncharted, a lot of the coaches don't know what is inherently "good" or "bad" because we have not seen the true side-effects of these quads. At the end of the day, I applaud any athlete who dreams big and does big because that's what trying to achieve the highest possible level of athleticism is. However, I do understand that it is concerning and VERY worrying because we've seen time and time again how quick burn-out can lead to disastrous ends. Thus, I hope the online and offline community of figure skating lovers are not only cognizant of the fact and support them and voice their concerns in a way that is not degrading. We've reached a moment that we can only hope to look back at as a positive turning point.

Tinami Amori

Well, '4S' might be a bit of a stretch. She was well under on this. I applaud her efforts, but she's got some work to do.
She is 11..... and just started, she did not do them before, she'll learn.

Attempted quads at age 11. Over-expectations by age 13, brief glorification at 15, burnout by 16, failed attempt to comeback at 17, hip surgery and/or back surgery at 19... :drama:
Well, Liza Tuktamysheva did exactly that, attempted quad and 3A at 11, won WC at 15, and all the rest.... She did not have back surgery, made a comeback after 17 and still competing with all the jumps. She was 23 yesterday...

I know how much some other US JGP skaters (current and past) practice.
What "others do" is "others business". No reason to measure one's road to success by "what others do". Are any of these "others" US Jr. and Sr. National Champions and won every GP and Challenger for the last two season, with Silver in JGP?

She looks happy and healthy to me.. :lol:

Last edited:

Frida80

We are all entitled to our own opinions.:)

I know how much some other US JGP skaters (current and past) practice. I have also seem the consequences of overuse injuries and it ain't pretty. Just saying skating has an ugly side that not all fans are aware of.

I have also seen some parents pushing kids to skate longer and watched those same parents drag the kids from and rink to rink each night. If that is all the kids know, they go along with it.

It doesn’t apply. Another poster confirmed he’s a hands off skating dad. She the type of gifted skater that when they find something they excel at, they become obsessed with. Her face lights up just before she gets on the ice. Look at her face just before the six minute warm up in Gdańsk. She has the biggest smile! She was excited to be getting on the ice. She loves this more than anything. What she needs is someone to hold her back a little so she doesn’t over do it.

concorde

Things can look one way on the surface but dig a bit deeper and you get another story. That is a general statement that applies to many situations.

Look at our recent Chaps and Olympians. Most told their story after their big accomplishments. Ashley tells about repeated concussions; Miriah tells hip surgery after the Olympics; Gracie we read about here; Karen and her foot/ankle/ boot problems; Bradie with back injuries when she was younger; Polina with the bone bruise. And that is just the top US ladies over the past couple of years.

Just saying having a life (regardless of age) that basically revolves around skating is risky on so many different levels. This applies to all top skaters, not one in particular.

Vagabond

What part of this
As someone who spent time at the rink she trains at, its ALL her. Her Dad’s rarely there and when he is he’s working on his laptop. He’s not one of those psycho rink parents at the boards forcing their kid to train.
did you not read or not understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information