Status
Not open for further replies.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Wow. I never for once second considered that Megan who had a comp bye still needed those min scores. What a bummer, but yea this whole season was a rough one for her. Hope for better things in the future for her!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I love watching her, especially watching her live. Such beautiful speed! I know she's got a demanding course load at school but I hope she sticks with the sport and work through these consistency issues.

The minimum qualifying mark is very high for Nationals and this was bound to happen.

Marco

Rough outings at NHK aside, I'm glad to see how the season is shaping up for the US ladies. Is it possible that Bradie & Mariah can both finish top 7 at Worlds (and get 3 spots for next year)? To me, a top 4 of Russians and Kihira is a pretty safe bet at this point. The Americans' competition seems to be Satoko, Kaori, and Young You (depending on if they're all in Montreal).

The SB list so far this season has Bradie and Mariah behind a bunch of Russians, Rika and Young. Since only 3 Russian ladies can attend Worlds, that leaves Bradie and Mariah currently 6th and 7th highest for World attendees, assuming 3 top Russians, Rika and Young all make Worlds. This would have given US its 3rd spot back for next Worlds. Note Satoko's score is very close behind Mariah so she could definitely affect things. Kaori's current SB score isn't so high but she definitely has the scoring potential to push the US ladies further down IMO.

olympic

The SB list so far this season has Bradie and Mariah behind a bunch of Russians, Rika and Young. Since only 3 Russian ladies can attend Worlds, that leaves Bradie and Mariah currently 6th and 7th highest for World attendees, assuming 3 top Russians, Rika and Young all make Worlds. This would have given US its 3rd spot back for next Worlds. Note Satoko's score is very close behind Mariah so she could definitely affect things. Kaori's current SB score isn't so high but she definitely has the scoring potential to push the US ladies further down IMO.

Remember. But for the calling error on that 3-3 in the LP at SA (called a 3-2 instead of a 3-3), Bradie's score would be around 218 and her rank would #7 instead of #9, importantly ahead of Young You, and the U.S. is left w/ 5th and 7th highest scores.

I agree that Kaori is the biggest threat to 3 U.S. spots for 2021, more so than Young You who really needs the 3A. Another huge threat would be a healthy Tursy, but I have no idea if she will compete or what her injury status is.

Sylvia

TBD
Local TV news feature on Lindsay Thorngren (top scoring qualifier among all the Junior ladies at Sectionals with 170):
Her coach, Julia Lautowa (skated for Austria), also speaks on camera.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Wow. I never for once second considered that Megan who had a comp bye still needed those min scores. What a bummer, but yea this whole season was a rough one for her. Hope for better things in the future for her!

Without Megan, will the Mitchell Johansson Method (TM) still be represented in Sr Ladies?

Dobre

I am talking about the scores as they are: Bradie earned something like 218 points at SA. A calling error (something out of her control) kept that from happening. Young’s failure was within her control

Which is a fine argument. But as far as predicting possible Worlds results, it is also a perfectly logical argument to point out that Young has the firepower to control her own destiny and outscore Bradie. (Not to mention that Bradie's SB is from a home event, which Young did not have). And, in fact, Young defeated her in head-to-head competition on the GP. (A well skated competition for both young ladies, really. Not perfect for either, but quite good skates for both athletes when one compares these performances with the quality of their performances over the past couple years). They are close enough that it could go either way.

Bradie has more senior international experience, which can come in very handy at Worlds where the stakes are very high. Young has more difficulty and while I do have questions about her ability to skate her best under pressure in high-stakes international competition, she has stood up quite well under pressure at Korean Nationals more than once, an event which often requires an absolutely clean skate to win. I simply do not see a good reason to underestimate her. Both young women are in the game. (Providing they make it out of their respective Nationals).

olympic

And if Young You had landed the second axel at SC, then her score would have been higher.

I am talking about the scores as they are: Bradie earned something like 218 points at SA. A calling error (something out of her control) kept that from happening. Young’s failure was within her control
Which is a fine argument. But as far as predicting possible Worlds results, it is also a perfectly logical argument to point out that Young has the firepower to control her own destiny and outscore Bradie. (Not to mention that Bradie's SB is from a home event, which Young did not have). And, in fact, Young defeated her in head-to-head competition on the GP. (A well skated competition for both young ladies, really. Not perfect for either, but quite good skates for both athletes when one compares these performances with the quality of their performances over the past couple years). They are close enough that it could go either way.

Bradie has more senior international experience, which can come in very handy at Worlds where the stakes are very high. Young has more difficulty and while I do have questions about her ability to skate her best under pressure in high-stakes international competition, she has stood up quite well under pressure at Korean Nationals more than once, an event which often requires an absolutely clean skate to win. I simply do not see a good reason to underestimate her. Both young women are in the game. (Providing they make it out of their respective Nationals).

Which is also a fine argument. My initial post was in response to the post regarding season’s best scores for the ladies

DreamSkates

IMO, podium is most likely to be Liu, Tennell, Bell but not necessarily in that order. Liu is not superior to Tennell or Bell in the PCS components, only in the technical/jumping side and she must hit her elements--especially the 3A--to win. Or the others screw up. Other entrants (including Chen) will be dark horses but if any of the top three have an off day....
Doesn't she also have a quad now?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Academy at MJM will be represented by Gabriella Izzo & Emilia Murdock (SC of San Francisco) in Senior, along with Ryan Dunk in Sr. Men, as well as Mauryn Tyack in Junior Ladies.

Oh, it’s the ACADEMY at Mitchell Johansson Method (TM)...it trips lightly on the tongue!

DreamSkates

Which is also a fine argument. My initial post was in response to the post regarding season’s best scores for the ladies
I hadn't see You skate, so I found this video in which she says she's working on the triple axle and a quad. All the top skaters have their eyes on the next Olympics and the podium so there is going to be some fireworks going on in the ladies event for sure! I do hope Bradie can add the triple axle, to keep up with other top ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAYS43k-aw

Tinami Amori

I hadn't see You skate, so I found this video in which she says she's working on the triple axle and a quad. All the top skaters have their eyes on the next Olympics and the podium so there is going to be some fireworks going on in the ladies event for sure! I do hope Bradie can add the triple axle, to keep up with other top ladies.
:D Young You was 11 when she won S. Korean National championship and 2 more since then (at 13 and 14)...... ;) She qualified for the Olympics at 14, but as she says "SADLY, i was not able to compete"..

Just remember now, Alysa Liu is ancient... when next time someone complains about her participation at US Nationals.. :lol:

Last edited:

olympic

I really hope bradie is working on a triple axel or quad jump. Shes a very good jumper, I think she could do it.

I think her technique is generally good, but she gets the jumps based on fast rotation rather than lift. Some of her jumps look whippy. The Axel is usually her lowest GOE, so I don't see her with a 3A or quad.

ETA - I think her most achievable goal would be to regain the 3Z-3L for the SP and LP, and go for higher BV in both especially if she can repeat 3Z and 3F in the LP instead of 3Z and 3T

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Hanna Harrell has been working with Misha Ge in California so hopefully her preparations for Golden Spin (this would be her CS debut) are going well:
Hanna has shared a photo with Misha & 2 video clips (first FS then SP):

Last edited:

all_empty

You already has the triple Axel; she's been trying it all season and helped earn her the bronze at SC.

I'm not sure Bradie and Mariah are locks for 6+7 at Worlds.

I assume the Russians and Kihira take 1-4. You may make top 5 after the short, but I'm not sure after the free. Sakamoto and Miyahara (assuming that's the team) tend to do well at Worlds.

6+7 would be great though. This would give Japan, Russia AND the U.S. three spots:

1. Trusova
2. Kostornaia
3. Scherbakova
4. Kihira
5. Sakamoto
6. Tennell
7. Bell
8. You
9. Miyahara
10. Daleman
11. Lim
12. Tursynbaeva (Kaz has three spots but can't use them all)

olympic

You already has the triple Axel; she's been trying it all season and helped earn her the bronze at SC.

I'm not sure Bradie and Mariah are locks for 6+7 at Worlds.

I assume the Russians and Kihira take 1-4. You may make top 5 after the short, but I'm not sure after the free. Sakamoto and Miyahara (assuming that's the team) tend to do well at Worlds.

6+7 would be great though. This would give Japan, Russia AND the U.S. three spots:

1. Trusova
2. Kostornaia
3. Scherbakova
4. Kihira
5. Sakamoto
6. Tennell
7. Bell
8. You
9. Miyahara
10. Daleman
11. Lim
12. Tursynbaeva (Kaz has three spots but can't use them all)

Good job. I would have Kostornaya first and predict Kihira sneaking in for a bronze and breaking up Eteripalooza though.

I give Bradie a 50-50 shot at 5th and her biggest competition would be Kaori who is a little behind but has an awesome LP this year. So those 2 would be 5th and 6th. I think Young would be just behind in 7th. Her LP is really unrelatable and she has no connection to the music but amazing jumps.

I think Mariah right now can beat Satoko and snag an 8th, because Satoko is working on her technique this year and her programs while beautiful are uneven as a result. I do not see Eun Soo Lim as a factor.

IMO, the biggest threat to 3 spots for the USA is if Tursy returns and skates well. She scored 224 points at last Worlds. Bradie scores 225 and Kaori 223 as PBs

Sylvia

TBD
From Nov. 12:
Starr Andrews and Elsa Cheng (competing Novice at Mids tomorrow; this will be her Team USA debut) are listed for the Junior international event of Golden Spin (Dec. 4-7, 2019 in Zagreb, Croatia) on USFS' International Assignments page as of today... both are looking to get the ISU junior minimum scores to be eligible to be considered for Junior Worlds.

Bradie Tennell and Hanna Harrell (hope she can go this time!) are listed for the ISU Challenger part of Golden Spin.
Hanna is listed as WD as of today :( (Bradie WD for a :) reason): https://www.usfsa.org/story.aspx?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

maureenfarone

I am very sad for Hanna. I can't remember if she has competed at all this season. Will she have the TES to compete at Nationals?

Sylvia

TBD
I am very sad for Hanna. I can't remember if she has competed at all this season. Will she have the TES to compete at Nationals?
Fortunately Hanna got her Sr. minimums at the Philadelphia Summer International Sr. B (won bronze with 165.22) back in early August. She then competed in one JGP (7th with 160.50 at Courchevel).

ETA the top 12 U.S. ladies on the ISU SB total scores list as of today:

9 Bradie TENNELL USA ISU GP Skate America 2019 19/10/2019 216.14 S
12 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP Internationaux de France 2019 02/11/2019 212.89 S
14 Alysa LIU USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019 31/08/2019 208.10 J
30 Amber GLENN USA ISU CS U.S. International Figure Skating Classic 2019 21/09/2019 186.28 S
38 Starr ANDREWS USA ISU CS Lombardia Trophy 2019 14/09/2019 181.18 S
46 Ting CUI USA ISU CS U.S. International Figure Skating Classic 2019 21/09/2019 177.47 S
50 Karen CHEN USA ISU CS Autumn Classic International 2019 13/09/2019 173.66 S
56 Gabriella IZZO USA ISU CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2019 03/11/2019 169.75 S
59 Isabelle INTHISONE USA ISU JGP Egna/Neumarkt 2019 05/10/2019 167.47 J (Junior in U.S.)
64 Kate WANG USA ISU JGP Chelyabinsk 2019 14/09/2019 164.59 J (Junior in U.S.)
73 Hanna HARRELL USA ISU JGP Grand Prix de Courchevel 2019 23/08/2019 160.50 J
76 Lindsay THORNGREN USA ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2019 20/09/2019 158.09 J (Junior in U.S.)

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

ETA the top 12 U.S. ladies on the ISU SB total scores list as of today:

9 Bradie TENNELL USA ISU GP Skate America 2019 19/10/2019 216.14 S
12 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP Internationaux de France 2019 02/11/2019 212.89 S
14 Alysa LIU USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019 31/08/2019 208.10 J

I am not sure it is fair for the US FS feds to rank them as such. Liu's results are based on her Junior programmes, which require less content by the rules. Had she skated "senior" content, without major mistakes, she would be ahead of both Ladies listed ahead of her.

Alysa LIU's tech content and execution of many other elements is head above all other US Ladies. She is #1 female skater in USA now.

SkateFanBerlin

Ok. I just want to make sure that Alysa Liu is given the rank she deserves, and it is not "third" after the other two ladies.
It doesn't matter anymore - jumps rule. But Liu is ahead only for having the 3A and 4. Her 3-3's are on par with others, spins less so, PCS much less so though usually goosed by her TES. She's much less experienced after all. (If others can rant that figure skating is the jumps, I can bemoan that the beauty, non-jump elements of ladies skating are in steep decline. Alas, we'll never see a Kostner because no body will stick around that long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information