Status
Not open for further replies.

feraina

Just noticed on USFS' International Assignments page that Hanna Harrell has WD :( from the Youth Olympics; Kate Wang, age 14, has replaced her: https://www.usfsa.org/story.aspx?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA
Too bad for Hanna!
But what an opportunity for Kate Wang! I’m glad USFSA didn’t schedule nationals to conflict with the youth Olympics this year. I mean the timing is still not ideal but it could’ve been worse.

Maximillian

RIP TA
The few times I've seen her live, she had sustained speed and excellent knee action and glide, as good or better than many championship medallists. I thought she was woefully underscored in SS.
I've always felt that she is the most talented skater of her generation and she reminded me quite a bit of Daleman, and was hoping she'd have her 'moment' like Gaby had at Worlds in 2017, but as others have mentioned, the jumps are gorgeous but she has clear issues with checking on the landing.

natsulian

Based on her Instagram, Hanna's been jumping and skating ever since she took off the boot a few months ago. Thus, I've been shocked by her many withdrawals this season (5 total withdrawals). She recently went to train with Mishin to refine her programs. I hope she did not re-injure herself. I am hopeful and optimistic that she will be at Nationals and wow once again.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ I think you meant Misha Ge ;):

While I often find skaters' Instagrams to be a good & helpful source of news & info from them, in the end it's what they choose to show us. BTW, the latest clip I saw of Hanna was of her and Amber Glenn(?) racing up an indoor rock climbing wall. :D

Ena Grins

The few times I've seen her live, she had sustained speed and excellent knee action and glide, as good or better than many championship medallists. I thought she was woefully underscored in SS.

I agree that Courtney has been underscored (and think a fair amount of the criticism about her lack of skill and artistry was really just about her body type). Unfortunately she's also tended to mess up at Nationals after strong GP and Challenger showings, which is a big reason she hasn't made it to that top level.

Sylvia

TBD
Local news interview with Polina Edmunds:
Edmunds, 21, of Santa Clara, California, was there to show her support for creating more ice rinks and other athletic facilities amidst a rapidly-growing Silicon Valley.
Edmunds, who has been on skates since she was 2-years-old, said, “ It’s great to share the passion and love for skating.”
“Figure skating has been an integral part of my life and I would love to help make it accessible to Silicon Valley residents and enthusiasts. Skating is a wonderful way to stay active and incorporate artistry, athletics and dedication for all ages and stages of life,” she said.
Edmunds and a community group, the Silicon Valley Ice Skating Association, rallied enough momentum to open the new rink this winter.
ETA that her latest Instagram stories show her practicing fast twizzling and triple-triple combos (3F-half loop-3S and 3Lz+3T).

Last edited:

natsulian

Congrats to Emily Zhang who finished in second place at her very first international competition representing Team USA. Zhang landed four triples (3S, 3Lz, 3Lo, and 3F) and scored well enough to recover from a disappointing 7th place following the Short. Since this was Zhang's first international experience, I'm sure she dealt with a lot of newfound nerves and I hope such an event will only strengthen her drive for excellence.

Additionally, best of luck to Kate Wang and Audrey Shin who are representing Team USA at the Winter Youth Olympics.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's Emily Zhang's FS (105.39) to the Amelie OST, captured from the livestream earlier today:
Viktor Pfeifer coached her in Poland. Emily scored a total of 153.00, got the 4CC minimum score in her subpar SP and her 56 TES exceeded the Worlds FS (recently raised) minimum of 51.

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Shin was in the group selfie taken with IOC President Thomas Bach with 3 other YOG athletes (each representing a continent) during last night's opening ceremony :):

In this YOG Team USA photo taken at the athletes village building (called the "Vortex"), Audrey is standing on the far left and Kate Wang on the far right:

natsulian

Congrats to Audrey and Kate for both executing great Short programs with minimal mistakes. Kate seems to have grown and went back to her 3T+3T instead of her usual 3Lz+3T. However, her musicality, body language, and spins have improved greatly from the last time we saw her. Audrey has great edges, musicality, AND rotated her 3Lz+3T and 3Lo but received an unfortunate downgrade on the 2A. The ladies' portion of the Winter Youth Olympics will conclude on Monday with the Free program. Best of luck to Team USA and all other competitors.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrPUQoATAqs

Audrey Shin is near the 18:30 min mark and Kate Wang is near the 51:30 min mark.

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Shin finished 7th and Kate Wang 13th overall today in Lausanne. I'm sure YOG has been/will continue to be a great experience for both of them. :)

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Hanna Harrell has withdrawn from Nationals :( (she's no longer listed in the entries list linked from USFS' website).

Tinami Amori

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Hanna Harrell has withdrawn from Nationals :( (she's no longer listed in the entries list linked from USFS' website).
Darn! i like her, wanted to see her on the JWorld Team. had one of my fav. programmes in that rank..
... and some of the coolest costumes and moves..

Last edited:

natsulian

I am elated for Audrey having finally put together two cleanish programs that were not riddled with carrots. She recently had surgery in May (per her Instagram) and has recovered tremendously. Audrey now posts the second highest international score for a US Junior lady this season and could very well be sent to Junior Worlds.

I am saddened by Kate’s performance but she experienced a growth spurt and needs time to readjust and refocus. I’m sure she’ll come back with vengeance at Nationals and the following season.

I am shocked by Hanna’s injury and I hope that she can fully recover and prepare for next season. Both Hanna and Ting are budding stars in the making and I truly wish the best for them.

Tinami Amori

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hope that Hannah & Ting may eventually return to competition and grace us with their art. Most importantly, I hope each will do what makes her happy.

skatfan

What could be some of the reasons why Alysa (or any skater, really) choose to decline a spot to go to YOG? Isn't it a great privilege?

She already competed and did well on the JGP and JGP Final (medaling in all) and I think she’s probably really wanting to defend her US Ladies title.

Willin

Did USFSA even offer her the spot? I thought she wasn't offered a spot because USFS wanted her at Nationals...

Dobre

Did USFSA even offer her the spot? I thought she wasn't offered a spot because USFS wanted her at Nationals...

I've not heard that any U.S. athletes attending YOG are skipping Nationals.

Isn't it a great privilege?

It's a great opportunity. Historically, it hasn't been a major priority with USFS. This year, I think the selection process was better than last time, & this year, they did select the highest level athletes they could. But from the moment the dates for YOG were announced, everyone knew it would be a challenge for athletes to attend & prioritize both. It's not only attending both events, but the travel in between. And Alysa would need to train different jump formats for both competitions. It's a great opportunity to compete for a National title also. I don't know if any of those were the main reason Alysa made this decision, but they are reasons that have already been floated in this thread & they are logical ones.

Also, with regard to various athletes, U.S. Nationals plays a major role in selection for the funding envelope for next season and for placement on the Junior World team. It is not the only way to earn funding or the only way to be selected for Junior Worlds, but it's a big event in the lives of these athletes in more than one way.

natsulian

Isabeau Levito, who won her Sectionals event and will be competing as a Junior at Nationals, said of her 3Lz-3T in a news article:
"I don't always land it, but I can do it very consistently in practice," Levito said of the jump. "I just always have to make sure it happens during competition when it really counts."

The mentality that practice is practice, but being able to do it when “it really counts” is what truly matters is such a mature outlook. Levito will be eligible for the Junior Grand Prix next season. Best of luck to not only her but to all the other competitors who have worked tremendously to earn a trip to Nationals. What these athletes do is so admirable and their work ethic and ability to cope is truly remarkable.

Link to article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capecodtimes.com/sports/20191116/talented-skaters-dazzle-in-pursuit-of-dream?template=ampart
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alysa Liu will be attempting one 4Lz and two 3As in her Free. Liu said that she does not worry about pressure and is just excited about Nationals. When asked about the Junior Grand Prix Final, Liu said she was "shocked" she got on the podium.

Link to teleconference: https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1217228601462087680?s=20

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Alysa Liu will be attempting one 4Lz and two 3As in her Free. Liu said that she does not worry about pressure and is just excited about Nationals. When asked about the Junior Grand Prix Final, Liu said she was "shocked" she got on the podium.

Here's hoping the judging is fair and realistic, and that jumps are correctly called.

It must have been so frustrating for Liu and her team to have her triple axel and quad lutz viewed as under-rotated at the junior grand prix final when those successfully landed were called clean during her two previous junior grand prix events.

UGG

Here's hoping the judging is fair and realistic, and that jumps are correctly called.

It must have been so frustrating for Liu and her team to have her triple axel and quad lutz viewed as under-rotated at the junior grand prix final when those successfully landed were called clean during her two previous junior grand prix events.

I didn’t watch her performances but if they were UR at the GPF, why would that be frustrating? Or do u mean they should not have had the UR call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information