U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

natsulian

UPDATES:
- US Novice Champion Calista Choi's program will be choreographed by Benoit R.
- Bradie Tennell's Free will also be choreographed by Benoit R. In her post on Instagram, she hash-tagged "Cinema Paradiso".
- VIDEO OF ALYSA LIU'S 4Lz and 4Lz-3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxS6JhWHuvU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
- According to Mercury News, Alysa Liu's new Short/Free will be choreographed by Lori Nichol. Alysa said she could not reveal the music choice yet.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Elliott Almond's Alysa Liu article: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/10/look-what-skating-phenom-alysa-liu-is-up-to-now/
Excerpts:
Liu is hoping to join the dominating Russians skaters by landing a quadruple jump when the 2019-2020 season begins in August. The Richmond teen is landing quadruple lutzes regularly in practice.

“I need to work on it for consistency,” said Liu, who trains at the Oakland Ice Center. “And I need to work on it so it can get better.”
Famed Canadian choreographer Lori Nichol has created the teen’s new short program and free skate. Liu said she could not reveal the music and themes yet because, “it is a surprise.”

“Lori knows what is good for me,” Liu added. “I understand what she is trying to go for with me.”

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Just as a reminder, it would be great if people could provide source links for all new-program information in this thread, as much as possible. Of course, this isn't required. However, it's just helpful for the 2019-20 program spreadsheet, as we typically only add info to the spreadsheet if we have a source link confirming it. Thanks!!

Sylvia

TBD
@clairecloutier, did you mean to post the above in the Programs/Choreographers thread? :)

Lynn Rutherford's article: Gold Honored with Ice Theatre of New York’s Will Sears Award
Excerpts:
For Gold, that battle with perfection hasn't ended. As she trains at Aston, Pennsylvania's IceWorks Skating Complex with coaches Vincent Restencourt and Pavel "Pasha" Filchenkov for her return to competition, she grapples with the idea of starting slow, putting out programs with simpler technical content.
"I have very high expectations," Gold said. "What I want isn't always based in reality to what's feasible. It's not just false confidence – like, 'Oh, I can totally do this' – it's 'Oh, I expect to do this.' I either don't do anything or I do everything."
Encouraged by Restencourt, a former French competitor and three-time Junior World medalist, Gold is working towards regaining her fitness with off-ice conditioning.
"After (Rostelecom) we were very much like, 'We're going to compete when we're ready. We're going to get the body back, we're going to get the athleticism back, then the jumps back, the spins back,'" Gold said. "If you are in shape and athletic and motivated, you can build almost anything you want."

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Misha Ge has shared a clip from the beginning of Hanna Harrell's FS: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxTk5LlgoNH/

Harrell is at USFS' jump camp in Colorado Springs right now (along with Karen Chen, Alysa Liu, Gabriella Izzo, Pooja Kalyan, Audrey Shin) - link to a new thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...f-keynote-speakers-wagner-nagasu-zhou.105610/

I love how she moves to this choreography.

I hope Alysa and her can reach the JGP Final this coming season.

Ge seems to be in high demand already this season!!!

:cheer:

natsulian

I wonder if Hanna is still working on the 3A. I know she talked a lot about wanting to add a quad as well. Hmm, we’ll see.

natsulian

For all the love and support Alysa receives for her jumps, her performance skills are often not talked about as much. Due to her age and inexperience, Alysa may not extend and let her moves breathe as much as others, but she can sell a program immensely well. Can’t wait to see what Lori did with her.

Tinami Amori

For all the love and support Alysa receives for her jumps, her performance skills are often not talked about as much. Due to her age and inexperience, Alysa may not extend and let her moves breathe as much as others, but she can sell a program immensely well. Can’t wait to see what Lori did with her.
I think she extends very well, and her poses are well balanced, aesthetically pleasing and very close to "powerful confident modern ballerina". She is flexible, well stretched and strikes great "forms" in many elements. What i like about her "style" is that she does not do "weeping willow" hands and fingers and does not try to portray some "girly soft ballet about some stupid abandoned by lover female who jumps in the lake or under a train".

https://i0.wp.com/thefinersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Alysa-Liu-2018-Sectionals-FS.png?resize=558,730
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/bng-l-skate-0103-42.jpg?w=620
http://cdn01.cdn.justjaredjr.com/wp...-makes-history-short-program-us-champs-03.jpg
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/00/14/76/16830361/7/gallery_medium.jpg

how much more perfect can one get?...
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/sjm-l-skate-xxxx-111.jpg?w=620
https://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/US-Championships-Figure-Skating-22.jpg?w=620

Dobre

ROTFL, Lori being Lori she will probably be doing this (see your bold print).

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Copying out what Ting wrote on her IG post:
Music Announcement 🎶
Long program: composition of ‘Wayward Sisters’ and ‘Table for Two’ from the Nocturnal Animals Soundtrack
And I have decided to keep my short program from last year set to ‘Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini’ 💜
For those who want to listen to these 2 music tracks composed by Abel Korzeniowski:
"Wayward Sisters": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpBKvwxF84
"Table for Two": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBI1n1Fx9Is

Last edited:

Vagabond

Z

ZilphaK

Jill Heiner competed Senior at May Day Open this weekend (a sort of very early club competition, but not as many competitors in recent years as I seem to remember). She didn't compete at Regionals last year. Did well as Junior at Liberty last summer with some promising jumps. This weekend, SP was a solid start. I always liked her skating -- her jumps were always big and athletic looking, lots of air time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

TBD
Jill Heiner competed Senior at May Day Open this weekend (a sort of very early club competition, but not as many competitors in recent years as I seem to remember). She didn't compete at Regionals last year. Did well as Junior at Liberty last summer with some promising jumps.
She won the Liberty (Philadelphia) Junior FS Final with a La La Land program that I really enjoyed. :) I later found out she was injured before Regionals :( and that's why she never had the chance to qualify for Sectionals/Nationals.

Was West Side Story her SP or FS music? (I glimpsed a brief clip on IG story.)

ETA:

Paige Rydberg helped out at USFS' Jump camp (May 10-11). She was 6th at Midwestern Sectionals last season and her new season programs are posted on her website: http://figureskatersonline.com/paigerydberg/skating/

Last edited:
Z

ZilphaK

Was West Side Story her SP or FS music? (I glimpsed a brief clip on IG story.)

West Side Story was FS. I bet she's going to be having a lot of fun with this by end of summer.

ETA: Also, yes, Liberty is Philadelphia Summer Championship. Old school. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

natsulian

So, what’s on everyone’s radar/mind for the upcoming season?
- How will Alysa and Hanna fare on the Junior Grand Prix? Alysa is riding off of Nationals’ momentum, but international judges are a whole different ballgame and her edge and under-rotation calls (especially on the second half 3Lz-3T) will be scrutinized. If Hanna does stay as a Junior and improves her artistry, packaging, and stamina during the second half, she’ll be a medal threat in every competition and could potentially earn enough points for the Junior Grand Prix Final. A Hanna with a few step outs and shaky landings was able to score near 180. A clean Hanna known by the judges can probably score 190 or even 200+ if she adds a 3A or 4T/4S.
- Bradie vs Ting vs Mariah will be an interesting battle. Will Bradie go for the 3Lz-3Lo? Will Mariah add a 3-3 in her Free? Will Ting find her consistency? A clean Ting with a 3Lz-3T, 3F-Eu-3S, and 4T will wipe the floor with Mariah and maybe even Bradie and Alysa. Should Ting find consistency and stride, it will be exciting to see how she fares against not just the top US ladies, but the world’s top tier ladies. Ting is a medal threat. As for Bradie, she showed that with enough fight and passion, she can score above 225 internationally. If she builds enough momentum going into Worlds, she could very well end up surprising people. Mariah is the huge question mark because now that she’s shown what she’s capable of when clean, by simply refining her jumps and adding in difficulty, the judges will reward her, it’s just a matter of if and maybe when.
- How will Gracie, Karen, and Polina fare? Should they make their comebacks and not withdraw or delay their comebacks, how will the judges award them? They’re all big question marks right now.
- How will Starr, Megan, and Amber perform? Will Starr get over her sophomore slump? Will Megan surprise us? Will Amber finally put together two clean programs?
- Is Pooja healed? Will she be left behind by the trio that is Alysa, Ting, and Hanna? Is she still training a 4T? She was at the Jump on It camp this weekend, so maybe she’s healed? Hmmmm.
- Will Audrey figure out her under rotation calls and land the 4T in competition?
- Potential dark horses for the Junior Grand Prix: Calista Choi, Kate Wang, and a few others.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Hmmmmm ^^^ A very clean Ting next season I don't think will wipe the floor with Bradie but Mariah yes...

Bradie has shown now she can get a free score to 150...... and of her and Ting she is by miles, continents and glaciers the most consistent.

Hannah Harrels programs looks good to me and I too am so curious how she and Alysa will do on JGP circuit. I hope both will make final.

I dont have hopes high for GG or Amber even though Id love to see them both on USA podium.... but Ting, Bradie, Alysa, Hannah and Mariah are just too much of dominant threats.

Also, @Sylvia posted an article last week on Bradie and she said she will be going for the 3 lutz/3 loop again this season.

(I do hope and also think that the SkAm entries next month will be Bradie, Ting and TBD)

Last edited:

olympic

I think Bradie proved to herself last season that she has a lot of fight in her, even when things go a little south. So, I am happy that she is revisiting the 3Z-3L, because she can attack it w/ new confidence. Maybe that will be the difference.

IMO. Alysa Liu is going to have a ripple effect on US ladies. Her jump content, realized or not will push the others in the top echelon to up their game. They have no choice. But, that will create a couple of stars.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Hannah Harrels programs looks good to me and I too am so curious how she and Alysa will do on JGP circuit. I hope both will make final.

Not sure of their chances for JGPF. With Valieva, Kanysheva, Tarusina, Tarakanova, Vasilieva, Sinitsyna plus others it will be very hard.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.

Her performance skills are amazing IMO. She is extremely musical, "using every note of the music". I thought her DROMP was very musical. She also has great stretch and extension, she doesn't ever hit an ugly position. I just hope puberty doesn't kill her career.

natsulian

Alysa will probably have the same effect on the American ladies that Nathan did on the American men. Who would have thought that the American men would be the most competitive and strongest field in the world based on how things were going a few years ago? Now, Alysa is already pushing Ting and Hanna to go for quads or the 3A because you simply won’t be able to become National Champion without upping your technical components. I mean, we already have novices attempting 3Lz-3Lo, 3Lz-3T, and 3A, it’s just a matter of consistency. Also, I’m really curious to see how the new coaches popping up lately affect the trajectory of the American ladies since they’re really pushing their skaters jump wise, but not so much flow and skating skills. Will it be to their detriment? Only time will tell.

Carolla5501

I hate to say this but I think Gracie, Polina and Karen had better come back for the love of skating. I don't think at this point they are going to get a 3 Axel or a quad and I think that's going to be the requirement probably by the next Olympic games. I may be wrong, but it does feel like we are heading into that model for Ladies just as we have for Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information