Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

Hey, I checked out the results of Tallinn Trophy: Lost in this discussion is the fact that Angela Wang is doing pretty well, just 2 points out of 1st after the SP! Doesn't Angela usually start to tank at this point in the season? I remember over multiple seasons she started off strong only to go downhill as the season progressed. Ryan Bradley's demeanor must really relax her.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
"This is not a recording. Chen changes programs again."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/24/262389016

Another competition, another change of programs for Karen Chen.

The U.S. champion announced that she's returning to last season's free skate, set to "Jalousie Tango," and short program to music from the On Golden Pond soundtrack.

"Jalousie Tango" is the fourth free skate Chen has trained in preparation for the Olympic season; she began a program to Puccini's Tosca this summer.

Hmmm.. wait a second, Chen changed programs right there in Lake Placid while already at Skate America? They brought the music edits with them?

Willin

I don't think you can blame the media for Karen's issues (if there is any reason to blame anyone) Honestly, Karen Chen doesn't seem on the mainstream media's radar screen. NBC is promoting Gracie Gold more than Karen :) I don't think the media is making much out of the competition within the US Ladies.

She's on all the adds for Nationals (at least those targeted at viewers/internet users in the Bay Area) - no one else is, not even Vincent. She's also heavily featured in the local news. The only times I've seen the papers cover skating this season more than as a footnote it's because Karen's competing. At least one of the local papers has also been following her journey in articles roughly every month or two, especially as it pertains to Kristi Yamaguchi. Certainly she hasn't gotten quite as much attention from NBC or the national media, but locally she has that media presence.

alexikeguchi

"I was kind of overwhelmed with emotion and thought, 'Wow, these programs mean a lot to me and I want these to be my Olympic programs, and I want to do them at nationals.'"

I hope she meant Olympic season programs because otherwise she is putting the cart way before the horse.

RD

Eh, I wouldn't make such a big deal of it. "Olympic" is quite a generic term in this case, obviously she means the season as she is a contender/hopeful.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Here's hoping Karen and Ash deliver a 1-2 punch today. I do quite like On Golden Pond!

Side note: Did US Fed shoot itself in foot by inviting Serafima? She could challenge all 3 Americans, no?

Rostelecom would never do this. They would look to see what skater is at #147 and invite them. :rofl:

olympic

^^^ Thanks for the update!

I do have a feeling about Bradie.

Do you know who is the caller?

I do not. Posters are stating that Wagner is concentrating on the 3L and it appears she did several 3L-1L-3S, then went for the 3F-3T, a couple times UR then did a clean combo. But, Tsurskaya and Tennell were practically mistake-free. Tennell did a clean run-through of her SP.

oleada

It was disappointing; it was not a great competition and the caller was generous - but Karen's and Ashley's URs were visible from space. Bradie (who is not frankly my favorite skater to watch) is the only one who took advantage. Really nice jumps and she could have easily collapsed at her first GP but she didn't :respec:

I mean, our top two at nationals are 2nd at home behind Japan #5 and a girl who barely made Russian nationals. And honestly, it's not like the performances here are out of the norm for Ashley or Karen this year :shuffle:

Based on the GP performances so far (and with the SkAm LP to go), Mirai and Bradie have made the strongest cases thus far....

Last edited:

FSfan107

Lots of people seem bummed about the U.S. Ladies tonight, but Bradie was awesome and put up the best short of the season for the U.S. women, so I'm pretty encouraged so far.

Ashley usually comes back stronger in the long. Her jump issues are concerning but that ankle has to be affecting her.

Karen's performance wasn't surprising unfortunately. I love her, but I don't think it's in the cards for her this year. As soon as I heard she switched programs again, I was like oh dear.

RD

Wagner, disappointment yet again with more of the same. Chen an even bigger disappointment (but honestly not a shocker based on her history this season). At least Tennell kept it from being a total disaster for the US women - she did well here and set herself up solidly for the FS.

Willin

Interestingly enough, Ashley won PCS by a whole point. But those jumps were really bad. I wonder whwat's up with her? She just seems not to have that spark this year. I know a few people here blame it on her "old age" or "peaking two years ago." I think it's something else - it seems like the fire's left her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information