U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

Andrea82

Delated. I was in the wrong ID thread. Sorry

Edit: but since I am here...how would USFS decide who is asked between H/D and C/B about potential TE split?

Last edited:

dancing_on_ice

Delated. I was in the wrong ID thread. Sorry

Edit: but since I am here...how would USFS decide who is asked between H/D and C/B about potential TE split?
At this point, I feel like they would give it to C/B since they won Nationals. H/D came out ahead at Skate America but that was also by only a small margin, and C/B did score ever so slightly higher overall on the Grand Prix and are higher in the world standings. The argument could be made either way though, since H/D are currently World medalists, while C/B are not.
Although it would make a spectacular episode of On Edge if one of them did decide not to split
It would be very dramatic, and also contradict the whole thesis of the show, which is showcasing that IAM is one big happy family. It would be extremely entertaining, for the audience, in terms of how they spin in though. It is also interesting, since in last week’s episode, they presented H/D and P/C as the two top teams, but C/B just won Nationals.

litenkyckling

I think it's very difficult, because H/D have been on the world podium 3 times since the last Olympics - and as much as current performance is important etc, their results across the quad give them a very good argument.

Debbie S

Not sure Dimitry will be coaching with MIDA? He wasn't mentioned in the announcement or the website. I think there was a post here that he and Greg joined forces for this season (since Dimitry seems to have split from Kiliakov/Novak/WISA) and Greg was traveling back and forth between MI and MD. It seems that Bratti/Somerville have been in Canton (plus there's an Intermediate team there too, I think) but Ling/Wein and some others are in MD. I think the MD teams (which include Dimitry's Novice daughter) are Dimitry's teams and may not relocate to MIDA.

I guess we'll see how this evolves by the summer comps.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I would be keeping G/P in bubble wrap if I were USFS...

Pleased for C/P though as I feel they were really hard done by last night - I think that keeping them in 7th was pure politics too. If other teams can make errors and be propped up by Nationals scoring - as they do every year - then they can be too. Hope they get some redemption at 4CC and that they have a better time of it next season.
Totally agree on both points. Especially thrilled for C/P, this was my first time following them and so glad we get one more performance of the voidy Bat Dance and the unintentionally hilarious Wicked Game.

emilieh

Not sure Dimitry will be coaching with MIDA? He wasn't mentioned in the announcement or the website. I think there was a post here that he and Greg joined forces for this season (since Dimitry seems to have split from Kiliakov/Novak/WISA) and Greg was traveling back and forth between MI and MD. It seems that Bratti/Somerville have been in Canton (plus there's an Intermediate team there too, I think) but Ling/Wein and some others are in MD. I think the MD teams (which include Dimitry's Novice daughter) are Dimitry's teams and may not relocate to MIDA.

Dmytri Ilin is the Skating Director at the Rockville Ice Arena, in addition to coaching there. I believe this is recent-ish, since last year, maybe? So I think he went with Kiliakov & Novak to ION in 2020(?), but then went back to Rockville when he got this job.

Bratti & Somerville moved to Michigan last fall, according to this article: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-bratti-somerville/

azcalder

Dima Ilin is the Skating Director at the Rockville Ice Arena. Greg Zuerlein and Dima coached Bratti & Somerville and Ling @ Wein. Greg Zeurlein choreographed the RD for both teams. Charlie White choreographed the FD for both teams. Bratti & Somerville moved to Canton. Ling & Wein stayed in Rockville.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Not sure if this has already been shared, but I noticed today the Bavarian Open assignments on the USFS page include Ilin/Cain (adv. novice) and Peal/Peal (junior)

Good for them! Shame they aren't sending any skaters in the other disciplines (except Smith in adv Novice girls).

sap5

Right, and with the current surge, non-critical surgeries are getting postponed this month and probably into next month as well, so it's not like he's going to be able to get this taken care of until probably March at the earliest.
I'd forgotten about this. It may be that he tried to get surgery earlier, but couldn't get it, and decided that he'd rather skate than just sit around?

Sylvia

TBD
Not sure if this has already been shared, but I noticed today the Bavarian Open assignments on the USFS page include Ilin/Cain (adv. novice) and Peal/Peal (junior)
Olivia Ilin & Dylan Cain posted their excitement on their joint IG account today :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CYzfm4hLr9D/
We are thrilled to receive our first International competition and to represent the United States at Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, Germany, January 20-23. Making Team USA is a dream come true for us, and we are training hard and taking every precaution to stay healthy.
Ilin/Cain answered a few questions after they won the Novice gold medal n Alpharetta, GA with the highest total score (118.41) in USFS' Championship Series - link to IDC's Dec. 2021 article on the Novice dance medalists: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/meet-the-novice-medalists-from-2022-championship-series-in-atlanta/

Team Peal posted yesterday (they actually made their Team USA debut 3, not 4, years ago in adv. novice at the Bavarian Open): https://www.instagram.com/p/CYwvMStLUKf/
From their 2020-21 Team USA profile, Bavarian Open will be the 2022 U.S. Junior bronze medalist Peal siblings' first junior international abroad: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/.../roster/-nbsp-elliana-peal-and-ethan-peal/443
Their previous internationals:
2021 Lake Placid Ice Dance International, Junior – 5th
2020 Egna Dance Trophy, Adv. Novice – 1st
2020 (not 2019) Mentor Torun Cup, Adv. Novice – 6th
2019 Bavarian Open, Adv. Novice – 6th

The ice dance events at the 2022 Bavarian Open will take place on the final 2 days of competition in Oberstdorf, Germany (Saturday & Sunday, Jan. 22-23).

Best wishes to Green/Parsons, Bratti/Somerville & Carreira/Ponomarenko at 4CC in Tallinn, Estonia next week! The ice dancers will compete on Thursday & Friday, Jan. 20-21, 2022.

Sylvia

TBD
Caroline Green & Michael Parsons won the GOLD medal at 4CC! :cheer: They got all new ISU PB scores in Tallinn - 80.62 in RD, 119.97 in FD & 200.59 total.

Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko won the BRONZE (with their ISU season best FD score).

Emily Bratti & Ian Somerville moved up a spot from the RD to finish in 5th (in just their 5th competition together! 2 domestic & 3 internatonal comps).

:)

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article (Jan. 25):

Cross-posting from the Olympics forum:
Seattle Times article about Jean-Luc Baker (he grew up in the Seattle area)

Upstate (Buffalo area) New York article by Jerry Sullivan on Kaitlin Hawayek's challenges, especially this season, in getting to the Olympics (Jan. 26):

Last edited:

dancing_on_ice

Upstate (Buffalo area) New York article by Jerry Sullivan on Kaitlin Hawayek's challenges, especially this season, in getting to the Olympics (Jan .26):
😲Kaitlin's concussion sounds terrifying, oh my gosh. The fact that she immediately went to the hospital and get stitches must have been incredibly scary.

Spiralgraph

Here's a quick interview I found on you tube with Caroline Green and Michael Parsons who will be going as alternates to the Olympics:

So I'm going to assume that our other 1st alternates at least will be nearby in China if needed.

Debbie S

So I'm going to assume that our other 1st alternates at least will be nearby in China if needed.
I don't believe any alternates are traveling to China. The only time USFS had alternates traveling was in 2018 unless K/O needed to step in for the team event. And they left when it was over, before the individual pairs event. (And in 1994 they sent MK in case Tonya was banned before the event.)

With all of the required protocols and special travel, it is likely way too expensive/logistically challenging to includes every event alternate for Team USA.

skatfan

Have we heard from any of the alternates that they are leaving for China? The interview didn't exactly say they were going to China. I didn't think they would get in the country unless they were named as replacements.

Sylvia

TBD
Have we heard from any of the alternates that they are leaving for China?
No. I'm pretty sure all the first alternates will be on standby and are training in their home rinks (ETA like Green/Parsons as shown in the local news clip which is confusingly titled "Two local Olympic alternate skaters going to Beijing").

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

Ahh another misleading headline then by that TV station. I'll hope that everything goes well health wise for all our skaters because who knows if the alternates could get to China in time with all the protocols.

Last edited:

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Hmm. I don’t think Chock/Bates have mentioned when they’re leaving? I still have a tinfoil hat theory that Hubbell/Donohue will want to skate both events in the TE if given first dibs by USFSA. 🙃
I have the same tinfoil hat fear, but I'd be shocked if ChoBat aren't given first dibs - 1) they won Nats, 2) they have a higher WS, and 3) they were hugging HubDon in the IAM IG vids posted earlier today wishing HubDon safe travels and Chock had Hubbell do her nails earlier this week - if things weren't fine between them, especially with regard to the TE, then I doubt we'd have seen either, ya know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information