U.S. Ice Dance 2020-21 season news & updates

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Ice-dance.com's article on Elliana and Ethan Peal

From the article:

Team Peal will continue a family tradition when it competes on US Championship ice January 20th. Even more impressive, Ethan will be wearing his dad’s Quickstep pattern tuxedo during the rhythm dance.

Designer Mansie O’Leary has been costuming for the Peals since the juvenile level and has waited for the time Ethan would grow into the tuxedo. She had the idea to inspire tradition from father to son by refurbishing and tailoring it for the current era.

Scott Gregory, Rob Peal’s first Team USA coach, wore it at the 1988 Calgary Olympics prior to passing it along to his student. Rob wore it for the final time at the 2000 Championships in Cleveland with partner, Stephanie Woodman.

Coach Peal is thrilled he will be there in person to witness the passing of the torch.

cgirl8

Could it have been misdiagnosed initially? I usually think of an ACL as being a season-ender type injury.
Looks like it from these articles recapping the junior competition:

Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen went from qualifying for and entering the U.S. Championships – with hopes of upgrading their 2020 silver medal to a gold – to withdrawing from the competition, then back to reentering just minutes before their flight to Las Vegas.

Chen had twisted his left knee in practice earlier this month. According to one doctor, the MRI results showed an ACL tear, which meant he would have to be off ice for 4-6 weeks. After seeking a second and third opinion, Chen was given different results and told he could continue skating – and just in time. They rebooked hotel rooms, made sure they were back in the competition and were on a plane later that day.

The 2020 U.S. silver medalists and 2020 Youth Olympic bronze medalists, Wolfkostin and Chen had withdrawn from the competition after Chen was told he had an ACL tear and could not skate. He received the results of another opinion, which cleared him to skate, on Monday.

Having been off the ice for a week, the team rushed to the rink to try all of their elements, then went straight to the airport. Three days later, they won their first junior title in just their second season together.

Sylvia

TBD
Video story on Washington native Jean-Luc Baker by Bradley Warren (KHQ local news reporter based in Spokane, WA and a former competitive skater himself):
Article version:

Quote from 2021 U.S. Junior bronze medalist Ian Somerville with Katarina DelCamp (2nd article link posted by @cgirl8 above):
Their disco free dance was inspired by Championship-level bronze medalists Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker, who have performed a Saturday Night Fever rhythm dance the past two seasons.

"I see myself a lot in Jean-Luc," Somerville said. "I feel like when I watch him skate, wow, I think that if I can try to implement some of his awesome energy, that would be a great addition to my skating. We just really love them, a lot."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Messages & photos shared by 3 of the 4 junior medalist teams:

Katarina Wolfkostin: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZHiqtLONJ/
Jeffrey Chen: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZIiPIrA0q/ (big sis Karen watched him compete from Michigan & they skated together for fun on a frozen lake yesterday as seen in her IG stories)

Oona & Gage Brown with their coach, Joel Dear: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKXGCczrxtI/

Isabella Flores: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKXnBsHFIaq/
Dimitry Tsarevski 3rd photo is his group selfie of all the medalists & 4th is with their teammates Neset/Markelov): https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZY29urd40/

IDC's photo galleries, Senior & Junior, by Melanie Heaney are linked from here:
Recap article of the Senior event:

Last edited:

emilieh

Is this the first time that someone has been allowed to re-enter a major event after withdrawing?

Sylvia

TBD
Is this the first time that someone has been allowed to re-enter a major event after withdrawing?
I don't know offhand, but this has been one strange season. ;) I guess Wolfkostin/Chen were okay because they were in Las Vegas and present (virtually) for the Junior RD draw that took place on January 19th. I believe it's the chief referee's call?

Colonel Green

Jordan Cowan aiming to give the people what they want — in this case, more of the Browns. They filmed their RD, full video coming soon:

Carolla5501

But did the "officially" withdraw or just announce it to the world. I would assume USFS requires more that an announcement on social media.

Colonel Green

I can’t think of any prior instance of attempting to rescind a withdrawal, because most of the time when skaters withdraw at the last minute things aren’t going to change.

But in principle, I don’t see how anybody could fairly object to it; unless an alternate had already been summoned, which wasn’t the case here.

Dobre

I'm surprised too. I figured they would go eventually (As the Ice Dance Wheel Turns), but I thought they would probably stay at Novi at least until her citizenship came through.

Where is Scali right now? Is he still in Chicago or has he moved to California? (Mom was saying he is working with one or more of the athletes in the San Francisco area).

Colonel Green

Igor is consoling himself by recycling Mahler and An American in Paris for next year's free dances.

Since they have to stay in the US for Christina's citizenship, there's a narrower range of options that could plausibly be considered either a lateral move or a move up.

RoseRed

I'm surprised too. I figured they would go eventually (As the Ice Dance Wheel Turns), but I thought they would probably stay at Novi at least until her citizenship came through.

Where is Scali right now? Is he still in Chicago or has he moved to California? (Mom was saying he is working with one or more of the athletes in the San Francisco area).
Massimo Scali is working with Alysa in the San Francisco area as far as I know.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Thanks! That's interesting as Anthony's home club is the Skating Club of San Francisco. Even if Carreira & Ponomarenko aren't going there, it would be great if Scali could help develop an elite dance program on the West Coast.

#wishes-and-dreams
I thought he was Peninsula SC but I could be misremembering. I guess the question is whether or not Massimo wants to develop an elite dance program on the West Coast or if he would prefer working with singles skaters. I think there is definitely some potential in the Bay Area to develop an elite dance program - seems like the only notable ice dancers to have come from the West Coast have been based out of the Bay Area (with the Reeds and Jean-Luc Baker in Seattle being the notable exception).
I think Igor is never a mistake stop along the way when developing, but I do think he’s done as much with them as he can. It’s time for a fresh set of eyes to help them develop and grow more.
Agreed. Igor is a good stop along the way for the technical development of young teams but can't quite get skaters to the very highest level.

Dobre

I think there is definitely some potential in the Bay Area to develop an elite dance program - seems like the only notable ice dancers to have come from the West Coast have been based out of the Bay Area (with the Reeds and Jean-Luc Baker in Seattle being the notable exception).
And Chloe Lewis who is from Oregon.

Yuri

I wish they would really surprise us by going to Platov or something.
Do you know something? Separately I have heard that Marina and Sergei are planning a move to Florida, or they are already there. Of course, Evgeny has been coaching in West Palm Beach for several years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information