U.S. Ice Dance 2020-21 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Happy New Year from Christina Carreira! :) https://www.instagram.com/p/CJg_Pklp7Yj/
How old is gage?
He turned 18 this past November - link to the Browns' fan thread where the viral video of their FD (6.4 million views as of today!) also is linked:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
He turned 18 this past November - link to the Browns' fan thread where the viral video of their FD (6.4 million views as of today!) also is linked:

whewwwww, needed to make sure was 18 before something inappropriate ever slipped out of my mouth. ANL thinks before he speaks!!!! tee-hee

Sylvia

TBD
Two ice dance teams are quoted in this Nationals preview by Lois Elfman for the Falls Church News-Press: https://fcnp.com/2021/01/04/figure-skaters-head-into-a-bubble-for-a-unique-u-s-championships/
There will be several teams with connections to Northern Virginia in senior dance, including Joshua Levitt from Burke and Cara Murphy. They initially trained in Pittsburgh and periodically traveled to Michigan for additional coaching. When the rinks in Pittsburgh closed due to Covid-19, they headed to Michigan.
Levitt previously competed at the U.S. Championships in 2019 in novice pairs, but he transitioned to ice dance shortly after. “I really feel dance suits me so much better, and I’m so happy that I switched. I’m having a great time,” said Levitt, who teamed with Murphy in February 2020.
Although U.S. Figure Skating has made some allowances for competitors in terms of test levels, Levitt still had to pass 12 ice dance tests to be eligible to compete. “It’s been a massive learning experience,” said Levitt. “It’s so much more focused on the choreography, on expression and making every single step of the program as perfect as it can be. It’s very detail oriented, which I really find rewarding.”
Due to the cancellation of qualifying events, Nationals will be their first competition together. “We’re excited to put our programs out there and see what the judges think of us,” said Levitt.
It’s a return to the U.S. Championships for seasoned competitors Cesanek and Yehorov, who previously competed in juniors. Despite the unprecedented circumstances, they’re enjoying the preparation.
“We are thankful and blessed for everything we’ve had this year,” said Yehorov. “We’re so much more mature in how we approach every day,” said Cesanek.
“The cut outs really do fill the space and it makes it feel more like an event,” said Cesanek. “At Skate America, whatever discipline wasn’t currently competing, the other athletes could come and support the competitors. The judges were there. It’s not empty. It’s cool seeing all the athletes together.”

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Christina and Anthony are out of nationals. :wuzrobbed They came in contact with a person who had *****, and though they tested negative, according to the protocol they had to withdraw. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ4LKPwJNHq/?igshid=4cekqxt4eosx
I so wanted to see them skate again, but this really is the safe and responsible thing to do. What awful timing though. I hope all other skaters are just as upfront about potential exposures.

Barbara Manatee

How disappointing for them!

We have been very diligent and careful on staying healthy and focused on the US championships and that’s why we are so saddened to say that we have been in direct contact with a positive case of covid-19 at our training center on January 4th.

At IAM - could other couples be affected as well?

Sylvia

TBD
11 senior teams right now:

Hilary Asher (Skokie Valley SC) and Ryan O'Donnell (The SC of Houston) - new
Adrienne Carhart (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Ivan Gurianov (Individual Member) - new - she is on IPS
Christina Carreira (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Anthony Ponomarenko (The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc) BYE
Molly Cesanek (ION Figure Skating Club) and Yehor Yehorov (Peninsula SC) Bye-ISP PC
Madison Chock (All Year FSC) and Evan Bates (Ann Arbor FSC) BYE
Caroline Green (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Michael Parsons (Washington FSC) BYE
Kaitlin Hawayek (Detroit SC, Inc.) and Jean-Luc Baker (Seattle SC) BYE
Madison Hubbell (Lansing SC) and Zachary Donohue (Lansing SC) BYE
Lorraine McNamara (Peninsula SC) and Anton Spiridonov (ION Figure Skating Club) - new/Bye-ISP PC
Cara Murphy (Arctic FSC) and Joshua Levitt (Pittsburgh FSC, Inc.) - new
Eva Pate (The Strongsville SC) and Logan Bye (The SC of New York, Inc. Bye-ISP PC
Livvy Shilling (Columbus FSC) and Alexander Petrov (Hershey FSC)
Breelie Taylor (Atlanta FSC) and Tyler Vollmer (Los Angeles FSC) - J14 at 2020 Nationals

litenkyckling

Why are Asher/O'Donnell and Pate/Bye still competing then if they are at the same rink?
Maybe they are awaiting results? The same question goes to Igor and his coaching team - will they still attend?

I also get the impression that this was a suggested decision that was reached mutually between all interested parties but that the final decision was made by C/P themselves - really admirable.

Carolla5501

It's possible that the other teams did not come in contact with the person infected. I don't believe the contract tracing/withdrawals extend that far. Now if C/P subsequently test positive the "withdrawals" could expand.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Christina and Anthony are out of nationals. :wuzrobbed They came in contact with a person who had *****, and though they tested negative, according to the protocol they had to withdraw. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ4LKPwJNHq/?igshid=4cekqxt4eosx

Oh nooo

whats the rush to have US Nats right now? Its not like there is a 4CC to attend. If there will be a Worlds that is 2-3 months away.

They should postpone it until March. And if theres no rink available then just do it virtually.

How disappointing to them. And responsible.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Moustaffask8r

This had to do with when the kids trained. Christina and Anthony happened to be at the rink and in close proximity to the individual who tested positive and the other teams weren’t at the rink at that time or not in close proximity

Sylvia

TBD
Jeffrey Chen posted on Instagram that he tore his ACL in practice last week and will have to miss Nationals. Hope he has a speedy recovery, that's a tough injury for anyone.

Here's partner Katarina Wolfkostin's message: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKKGVpRLPPm/

Very sad for them both. :(

Junior Ice Dance event is down to 9 teams:
Oona Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Gage Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) - J3/in ISP
Katarina DelCamp (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Ian Somerville (Washington FSC) - J5/in ISP
Isabella Flores (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Dimitry Tsarevski (All Year FSC) - new
Angela Ling (Peninsula SC) and Caleb Wein (Washington FSC) - J6/in ISP
Leah Neset (Magic City FSC) and Artem Markelov (Magic City FSC) - new
Elliana Peal (Scott Hamilton SC) and Ethan Peal (Scott Hamilton SC) - N1 at Dance Final/in ISP
Vanessa Pham (The SC of Houston) and Jonathan Rogers (Texas Gulf Coast FSC) - N8 at Dance Final
Elizabeth Tkachenko (Washington FSC) and Alexei Kiliakov (Washington FSC) - J7/in ISP
Gracie Vainik (SC of Novi) and Daniel Brykalov (All Year FSC) - new
Katarina Wolfkostin (Peninsula SC) and Jeffrey Chen (Peninsula SC) - J2/in ISP

Sylvia

TBD
USFS has announced their Ice Dance selections for 2021 Worlds:

Madison Chock/Evan Bates (S2)
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker (S3)
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (S1)

Alternate 1 – Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko (submitted a petition to be considered)
Alternate 2 – Caroline Green/Michael Parsons (S4)
Alternate 3 – Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov* (S5)

*pending ISU decision on minimum score

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm so happy that Christina & Anthony were named as 1st alternates! While it's certainly possible that they would have been surpassed by GrePar at Nationals, they were still ahead of them, by a considerable distance, at SkAm.

Sylvia

TBD
Katarina Wolfkostin & Jeffrey Chen will be able to compete in Las Vegas after all -- he shared the news a few hours ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKNjabXr8tX/
UPDATE: upon further consultation with my medical team this morning, I am incredibly thankful that I am approved to skate. We’ve been working so hard all season for this moment & we are excited to be here in Las Vegas to give it our all!
Katarina Wolfkostin's message from Las Vegas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKNi9SBr8YW/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information