U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow Anthony and Christina were great!

Indeed A&C were amazing. As Charlie and Ben pointed out, Igor really understands how to choreograph the tango! Still, there's not a lot separating the teams in 4 - 6 position. And even the top positions are rather close. It looks as if the judges were keeping about 2 points or so separation between each team. And it was going to be interesting where Anthony & Christina landed. Going in, likely A&C were not really expected to best both the Parsons and M/C. But after A&C's performance, it's not surprising they placed just ahead of M/C. It's still very close overall. So it will be an exciting battle right through to the end for positions 3 - 6 at the least, as we suspected. Although H/B will likely retain third, and the others will be battling 4 - 6 to stake out territory and position themselves for what's going to be a jockeying next several years, with no end to battling in sight.

Does anyone else (besides me) feel that its time for McNamara/Carpenter to make a coaching change?

I think M/C are looking good and they have been improving. Remember how M/C got all level 4s at one event on the GP over other teams? Listening to commentary, Ben Agosto pointed out all M/C's great skills, and then he mentioned how with maturity and experience they would need to learn how to gain speed more quickly and efficiently by leaning their blades into the ice (like Madi & Zach are so good at doing) rather than pushing and pulling over the surface of the ice in the effort to gain speed.

M/C's coaches got them this far, and so we'll see what happens as Lorraine & Quinn progress and develop. There aren't that many top coaches available out there. And not every U.S. ice dance team is going to be ending up at Montreal camp! Enough are there already.

I asbsolutely love every outfit that Madi Hubbell wears. In her Skate Talk Online interview last fall, Madi indicated that her mother sews all her outfits. What a beautiful job her mother does. Madi's mom understands her daughter's body! :)

Last edited:

firstflight

Bohemian Rhapsody!!!!! The Parsons need to keep this program for next season, although I suspect one other top international team is going to use the song next season given the movie.

VGThuy

I'm SO glad Lorraine and Quinn moved up a spot in the final. My second favorite fd after Papadakis/Cizeron.

I know people are hyping up Carreira/Ponomarenko for good reason, but I do find McNamara/Carpenter technically stronger than them. I'd say the same for the Parsons too but they've been in a rut since their senior debut and he keeps messing up twizzles.

firstflight

I know people are hyping up Carreira/Ponomarenko for good reason, but I do find McNamara/Carpenter technically stronger than them. I'd say the same for the Parsons too but they've been in a rut since their senior debut and he keeps messing up twizzles.

Totally agreed. For every post about how the very first senior teams from WISA need to run away from that center, I would highlight a result like this. 4th is fantastic.

Yes, Michael messes up twizzles but what the Parsons attempted tonight was pretty insane. 2 weeks to today for a completely new FD? I am expecting them to have an electric performance of Bohemian Rhapsody next season that will launch them in the buzz department like what Fear/Gibson experienced this season.

Last edited:

Lara111

The only reason C/P are not in 4th today is because of the error in twizzles. It is not quite right to say that M/C are stronger technically after C/P won a short dance.

VGThuy

The only reason C/P are not in 4th today is because of the error in twizzles. It is not quite right to say that M/C are stronger technically after C/P won a short dance.

Yes, C/P are favored and have better politicks working for them, but I'm talking beyond the points. Generally speaking I find them stronger and they also have way better lines, especially in their free legs. They also push the difficulty of their elements in a way C/P don't do. Ben and Charlie also did a great job explaining all the difficulty in M/C's FD. Also, internationally, they've been outscoring C/P in TES by some way. But C/P have "it" so people over look such things.

Last edited:

chameleonster

I think McNamara/Carpenter have really blossomed at the senior level, and they're definitely pushing the difficulty. Carreira/Ponomarenko have made strides in their first senior season, and I'll be curious as to how both teams develop from here. I don't know if USFS will give M/C 4CC but I think its clear both teams could challenge for the #3 spot next season if they make a push over the summer.

Very sad for the Parsons today. I think at this stage it would have been better to stick to their guns, but it is what it is.

sharsk8s

So what is up with the Parsons switching programs? I liked their original one.
I think they were getting a lot of pushback and underscored because it is the same music as P/C iconic 2016 LP. I personally didn't mind it and thought it suited the parsons well. I think the comparison just wasn't helping them. I like this new program too.

breathesgelatin

Until tonight I was not aware Yuri Vlasenko was skating still (or again?) and with a US partner. I'm so curious how that came to pass. I enjoyed them! Are they eligible to skate for the US internationally? I see his last international event skating for Russia appears to have been in 2017. Has he been released? I guess maybe it's a stretch for them to get an assignment...

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
OH My Gagaaaaa

I have NEVER been such a fan of dance in all my years as I am right now....

And ANL gots some things to say.

Wow.. and WOW.. That was incredible..

I think the top 7 should all be co-gold medalists..

But I got something I need to say..... KATRINA MANTA & JOE JOHNSON.... I watched and rewatched that program 11 times before going on to the next team.... O.... M.... G.......... I AM ADDICTED to them.. Did they skate that at Skate America... because it dont ring a bell for me.. maybe NBC didnt show it? WHO did that choreography??? Because they should be choreographer of the year. That had more innovation than Gilles & Poirier and Fear & Gibson combined.... and those teams are amazeballs. 7th place again? Someone who has knowledge fill me in.. why? Do they skate too slow? Not enough intricate steps or what? Because this was my favorite performance IF I had to pick one tonight... Oh, and I LOVVVVEEEEEE her hair color and hairstyle.. She is SO FIERCE!!! I love that Terry and Tanith referenced they are both LGBTQ and its a first, Man I just love them....

And now all the other teams just amazing....

OK.. so Chock & Bates.. Ive said that they had been my Favorite USA team (sorry, its gotta go to Manta & Johnson now, lol) but I always think they have Grandma taste in their music selections.. BUT I JUST LOVED how they raided Grandma's music closet and put all modern moves to it.... It was very exciting.... even though I think Elvis music should receive a 5 point penalty. Has this program changed in choreography since their B event 2 weeks ago? Because I WAS SO MORE into it tonight......... Loved the choreography.. LOVE!!!!

I figured out what I dont like about H&D free... I dont think those 2 pieces of music go together.. I like the fierceness of the first cut (even tho its overused) and then it goes into that schmaltzy "Missing You" or Kissing you music... which is old fashioned... they dont go together or something....

And the other new to senior teams.. M&C (is Carpenter becoming WAY hot?), Parsons, C&P are all JUST AMAZING as well.. M&C have improved Immensely all of a sudden just like C&P have... A shame about Parsons.... I hope they keep that free.

And I hope that Manta & Johnson keep this free program for the rest of their career!

LOVED DANCE!!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt:

This season, having embraced their off-ice identity, Manta and Johnson have worked hard to craft a new one on the ice. Working with British choreographer Christopher Dean, who defined on-ice romance in the 1980s with ice dance partner Jayne Torvill, they created a free dance that better showcases their personalities.

"On the ice, you want to be seen as an athlete," Manta says. "But it's also super important to us that we are visible queer athletes."

Set to the 1980s Eurythmics hit "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)," the free dance highlights Manta's transformed look and allows the two to be freer and looser with the audience.

"I look at our free dance, and people have fun with it, they want to be involved," Johnson says. "Part of the fun of being queer is you start to let go of the things that might disrupt your identity because you know exactly what you are, and you know exactly what you like."

"I want them to look and feel different (from other teams)," Dean says. "There's a very contemporary, angular feel to what they're doing [in the free dance], yet we're trying to maintain movement and speed of the ice. I want it to feel organic, the way that they move on the ice."

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm so impressed with how good Maddie & Evan are looking, and they have great programs too! Boy, do M-F Dubreiul and Patrice Lauzon and their entire team of coaches understand how to bring the best out of gifted ice dancers! Kaitlin Hawayek has improved in her confidence and self-belief too. All the top U.S. teams look amazing (and Manta/Johnson are so cool and fun to watch too). Watching Canadian Natls, I was also impressed by the work the Gadbois team are doing with the Danish/Canadian team (Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen) who are now representing Canada. I find ice dance and pairs really exciting these days.

Maddie/Evan's fd was brilliant in bringing out their personalities, and the fun yet romantic connection they have with each other which I don't think we've ever seen brought out in them to this full effect and lovely degree. The Gadbois team must have advised Evan to straighten his curls and cut his hair (and it's less blond too) which really works so well in giving him somehow a more commanding presence on the ice. :)

The start of M&E's fd reminds me of Gilles/Poirier's edgy noir/femme fatale program last season. But then M&E's program went on to incorporate more of a romantic, playful theme. I agree with Ben & Charlie (who commentated on NBCGold) that the last music cut, while good, perhaps goes on a bit too long. Maybe M&E should keep this program for another season and fine-tune it further. While this program was so popular with the audience, and some people felt it should have won the FD (if not overall), I agree with Emily Samuelson on Ice Desk that there's still a bit more work Maddie & Evan need to do that's evident mostly to expert eyes of judges and those who know ice dance. M&E were great in their comeback from injury, but Madi & Zach are simply extraordinary with their power, passion, energy, dynamic connection, softness contrasted by intensity, and the absolutely amazing blade quality, effortless lean and ice coverage they have. A shout out to McNamara/Carpenter and to Carreira/Ponomarenko and to all the teams who performed so well and at such a high level. The Parsons' new fd was fun to watch -- it's too bad about Michael catching his blade on the twizzle. But it's a high energy program which maybe they should keep for next season to fine-tune.

barbarafan

I'm so impressed with how good Maddie & Evan are looking, and they have great programs too! Boy, do M-F Dubreiul and Patrice Lauzon and their entire team of coaches understand how to bring the best out of gifted ice dancers! Kaitlin Hawayek has improved in her confidence and self-belief too. All the top U.S. teams look amazing (and Manta/Johnson are so cool and fun to watch too). Watching Canadian Natls, I was also impressed by the work the Gadbois team are doing with the Danish/Canadian team (Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen) who are now representing Canada. I find ice dance and pairs really exciting these days.

Maddie/Evan's fd was brilliant in bringing out their personalities, and the fun yet romantic connection they have with each other which I don't think we've ever seen brought out in them to this full effect and lovely degree. The Gadbois team must have advised Evan to straighten his curls and cut his hair (and it's less blond too) which really works so well in giving him somehow a more commanding presence on the ice. :)

The start of M&E's fd reminds me of Gilles/Poirier's edgy noir/femme fatale program last season. But then M&E's program went on to incorporate more of a romantic, playful theme. I agree with Ben & Charlie (who commentated on NBCGold) that the last music cut, while good, perhaps goes on a bit too long. Maybe M&E should keep this program for another season and fine-tune it further. While this program was so popular with the audience, and some people felt it should have won the FD (if not overall), I agree with Emily Samuelson on Ice Desk that there's still a bit more work Maddie & Evan need to do that's evident mostly to expert eyes of judges and those who know ice dance. M&E were great in their comeback from injury, but Madi & Zach are simply extraordinary with their power, passion, energy, dynamic connection, softness contrasted by intensity, and the absolutely amazing blade quality, effortless lean and ice coverage they have. A shout out to McNamara/Carpenter and to Carreira/Ponomarenko and to all the teams who performed so well and at such a high level. The Parsons' new fd was fun to watch -- it's too bad about Michael catching his blade on the twizzle. But it's a high energy program which maybe they should keep for next season to fine-tune.

Evan's body language has totally changed with the coaching change. He is totally in command of the performance a la Patrice and even with Scott there was change (not as noticable).Patrice is huge and in person he commands the room.The first time I was near him I suddenly felt one foot tall.

semogal

Evan's body language has totally changed with the coaching change. He is totally in command of the performance a la Patrice and even with Scott there was change (not as noticable).Patrice is huge and in person he commands the room.The first time I was near him I suddenly felt one foot tall.

The time I saw Patrice in person I was so dazzled by his handsomeness I tripped over my own feet

Sylvia

TBD
Copying out all the ice dance selections from USFS' press release:

2019 World Championships and 2019 Four Continents Championships (same for both competitions)
Madison Chock/Evan Bates
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

Alternate 1 – Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter
Alternate 2 – Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 3 – Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons

2019 World Junior Championships
Caroline Green/Gordon Green [J1]
Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville [J3]
Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik [J2]

Alternate 1 – Oona Brown/Gage Brown [J4]
Alternate 2 – Jocelyn Haines/James Koszuta [J6]
Alternate 3 – Ella Ales/Daniel Tsarik [J7] (need minimums)

ETA:

Re. Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov [J5] - he last competed internationally for UKR in December 2017.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Even considering the Top 4 from Euros and W/P, H/D's and C/B's 4C's points are likely, or at least have a very good chance, to be overwritten by Worlds FS points:
  • Up to 4th at Worlds > 1st at 4C's
  • Up to 5th at Worlds > 2nd at 4C's
  • Up to 6th at Worlds > 3rd at 4C's
But I think it's fair that they should be getting a shot at the medals and prize money, especially with C/B having been out for so long, and taking on a head-to-head with W/P before Worlds.

If everyone skates close to their best, H/B should be vying with G/P for 4th at 4C's and 7th at Worlds, with FB/S possibilities as spoilers. The differential between 7th at Worlds, which is the most optimistic placement for H/B, who were 6th at GPF without P/C, C/B, W/P, or G/P, and 4th at 4C's is 26 points, and 23 between 8th at Worlds and 5th at 4C's.

I'd rather see another US team get the third spot. 6th, which is the lowest that a US team should place at 4C's, is worth 496 WS points. (M/C's and C/P's SBs are currently two-three elements higher than Wang/Liu's.) H/B at Worlds would earn more WS points from a 9th-place finish, and 31 points less from a 10th place finish, than another team in 6th at 4C's. Barring disaster, H/B aren't in the medals hunt or, as a result, in the hunt for the bigger prize money.

Jammers

Even considering the Top 4 from Euros and W/P, H/D's and C/B's 4C's points are likely, or at least have a very good chance, to be overwritten by Worlds FS points:
  • Up to 4th at Worlds > 1st at 4C's
  • Up to 5th at Worlds > 2nd at 4C's
  • Up to 6th at Worlds > 3rd at 4C's
But I think it's fair that they should be getting a shot at the medals and prize money, especially with C/B having been out for so long, and taking on a head-to-head with W/P before Worlds.

If everyone skates close to their best, H/B should be vying with G/P for 4th at 4C's and 7th at Worlds, with FB/S possibilities as spoilers. The differential between 7th at Worlds, which is the most optimistic placement for H/B, who were 6th at GPF without P/C, C/B, W/P, or G/P, and 4th at 4C's is 26 points, and 23 between 8th at Worlds and 5th at 4C's.

I'd rather see another US team get the third spot. 6th, which is the lowest that a US team should place at 4C's, is worth 496 WS points. (M/C's and C/P's SBs are currently two-three elements higher than Wang/Liu's.) H/B at Worlds would earn more WS points from a 9th-place finish, and 31 points less from a 10th place finish, than another team in 6th at 4C's. Barring disaster, H/B aren't in the medals hunt or, as a result, in the hunt for the bigger prize money.
I have a feeling by 2022 C/P and M/C will pass up H/B. I could be wrong of course but i see more upside with C/P especially. I think Anthony is going to be the new Cizeron but the question is can he get Christina up to his level like Cizeron did with Gabby.

carriecmu0503

C/P have something special. Christina is improving rapidly, but she is not on Anthony's level yet. I think she can get there. She's really gorgeous, regal, her lines are splendid, and their chemistry (on the ice) is lovely. Are they a couple off the ice?

As far as I know, Christina will also need to get her US citizenship in time for 2022 to be an option. Isn't she Canadian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information