U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

VGThuy

So five different US teams have medaled in a Grand Prix this season. That’s got to be a record, right?

Yes, it's a new record. It's also impressive as that's without Chock/Bates and the Shibs (Chock/Bates medaling in the GP series since 2013-2014 and the Shibs since 2010-2011, their senior debut season). Also, in 2015-2016, the U.S. were the first country to qualify three ice dance teams in the GPF, and they did it three seasons straight.

The closest to five has been four. These are the times where four teams from a single country medaled in the GP series:

In the 2015-2016 season Russia had four teams medal in the GP series (Bobrova/Soloviev; Sinitsina/Katalapov; Iliynkh/Zhiganshin; and Stepanova/Bukin). Both B/S and S/K came away with a silver and a bronze.​
In the 2014-2015 season, the U.S. had four teams medal in the GP series (Chock/Bates with gold and silver; the Shibs with two silvers; Hubbell/Donohue with two bronzes; and Hawayek/Baker with a bronze).​
The U.S. also had four in 2013-2014 (Davis/White; the Shibs; Chock/Bates, and Hubbell/Donohue with the first three teams winning two medals).​
In 2012-2013, Russia had four teams medal in the GP series (Bobrova/Soloviev; Ilinykh/Katsalapov; Riazanova/Tkachenko; and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin) with the first three teams winning two medals. The U.S. only had two (Davis/White and the Shibs).​
In 1997-1998, four Russian teams medaled (Grishuk/Platov; Krylova/Ovysiannikov; Lobacheva/Averbukh; and Semenovich/Fedorov). Could have been five with Navka/Morosov medaling at Cup of Russia, but they represented Belarus.​
In the 1995-1996 season, four Russian teams medaled (Grishuk/Platov; Krylova/Ovysiannikov; Lobacheva/Averbukh; Semenovich/Federov).​

In the following years, three teams from a single country medaled in the GP series and that was the most teams to medal during those seasons:

As we know, since 2013-2014, the U.S. has had at least three teams medal in the GP series.

In 2010-2011, both the U.S. and Russia had three teams win medals (Davis/White, the Shibs, Chock/Zuerlein); (Bobrova/Soloviev; Ilinykh/Katsalapov; Riazanova/Tkachenko).​
In 2009-2010, Canada had the most with three teams winning medals (Virtue/Moir; Crone/Poirier; and Weaver/Poje).​
In 2008-2009, there were three U.S. teams that medaled (Belbin/Agosto; Davis/White; Samuelson/Bates).​
In 2007-2008, there were three French teams that medaled (Delobel/Schoenfelder; Pechelat/Bourzat; and Carron/Jost).​
In 2002-2003, three Russian teams medaled (Lobacheva/Averbukh; Navka/Kostomorov; and Kulikova/Markov...who medaled at Skate Canada over eventual World bronze medalists that season Denkova/Staviyski).​
In 1998-1999, three Russian teams medaled (Krylova/Ovsiannikov; Lobacheva/Averbukh; and Navka/Kostomorov all at Cup of Russia with K/O and L/A winning two medals).​

Sylvia

TBD
In addition to Carreira/Ponomarenko's first Grand Prix medal (bronze) in Moscow, McNamara/Carpenter won their second ISU Challenger Series silver medal in Innsbruck, Austria yesterday.

There are currently 6 U.S. dance teams (5 senior, 1 junior) on the ISU Season Best total scores list at this time:

1 200.82 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Skate America 2018 21.10.2018
7 184.63 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2018 11.11.2018
9 180.95 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2018 28.09.2018
10 180.57 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA ISU GP Skate America 2018 21.10.2018
13 177.49 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2018 28.09.2018
22 165.63 Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA ISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 2018 06.10.2018

Upcoming internationals:

GP France: Hawayek/Baker, Parsons/Parsons
CS Tallinn Trophy: Carreira/Ponomarenko
Golden Spin (junior): Caroline & Gordon Green - their international debut this season
GP Final: Hubbell/Donohue, others TBD
JGP Final: Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik

FWIW, here were the top total junior scores from Sectionals this past weekend:
Caroline Green/Gordon Green E1 (164.75)
Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville M1 (149.17)
Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov P1 (142.03) - have not competed together internationally yet*
Jocelyn Haines/James Koszuta P2 (141.27)
Ella Ales/Daniel Tsarik M2 (140.14) - have not competed together internationally yet
Oona Brown/Gage Brown E2 (139.34)
Sophia Elder/Christopher Elder M3 (137.85)

*Yehorov/Yegorov previously competed for Ukraine and his last international was in December 2017

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
So five different US teams have medaled in a Grand Prix this season. That’s got to be a record, right?

Yup

Carreira, Ponomarenko Mark The First Time 5 U.S. Ice Dance Teams Have Medaled On Grand Prix Circuit

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/N...ance-Teams-Have-Medaled-On-Grand-Prix-Circuit

Carreira and Ponomarenko’s medal marks the fifth U.S. ice dance team that has medaled in the 2018-19 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, the first time that has happened. Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue won gold at both Skate America and Skate Canada, Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker won NHK Trophy, where Rachel Parsons and Michael Parsons took bronze, and Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter earned bronze at Grand Prix of Helsinki.

shine

I also agree regarding Hawayek and Baker. I see tremendous improvement in partnering, emotional connection, speed and confidence.

The one word that comes to mind when I watch their new Freedance is...Masterpiece. I have been watching the dance over and over and over again. I am profoundly moved by it.
While I’m loving the positive comments people have on H/B’s FD, I’m a little surprised to see stuff like emotional connection and speed mentioned as areas where they’ve made huge improvements - I never thought they were lacking in these aspects. I thought their problem was more about not being able to get the levels and GOEs? I also didn’t think their two past FDs lacked maturity or profoundness.

Dobre

H&B have had speed and skating skills. They've also had the same choreographer who did Takahashi's Blues for Klook and Weaver & Poje's Je Suis Malade. They've had issues with mistakes (twizzles and falls). And just the sheer depth in the international dance field, which is much less this season due to splits, retirements, and teams sitting out. Last year, H&B split results with Zagorski & Guerreiro. At NHK, they split dances with them.

So, really, as far as we know, they are in about the same place internationally. The better result is due to staying together, working, and continuing to compete during a post Olympic season. (Plus the P&C withdrawal from the event, but still 2nd would have been a career best for H&B). Last year, they were more competitive in the FD than in the RD, and that remained true at NHK. They bombed the levels in the pattern at NHK so those were not up at this debut. (In part due to an obvious mistake from him). But it was their season opener so a good chance for improvement after a debut performance. Kudos to H&B for their first win and skating a strong FD performance under the pressure of possibility and after a serious injury.

Three of four young U.S. teams have split results with Zagorski & Guerreiro. And three of four have split results with Hurtado & Khaliavin this season. Really, it's an incredible fight!

Last edited:

layman

While I’m loving the positive comments people have on H/B’s FD, I’m a little surprised to see stuff like emotional connection and speed mentioned as areas where they’ve made huge improvements - I never thought they were lacking in these aspects. I thought their problem was more about not being able to get the levels and GOEs? I also didn’t think their two past FDs lacked maturity or profoundness.
I did not mean to imply that they were in any way lacking before but that the new freedance represents a step up (further maturation) in every category. I see a lot of growth in their dancing.

VGThuy

Congratulations to Mcnamara and Carpenter winning the silver at Skate Austria. I think they have now medalled at every competition they have entered this season.

They really are having a great season, aren't they? WISA may be a big name in int'l ice dance in a few years (if they're not already with you know two very recent World Junior champs). They may be THE school in the U.S.

Dobre

McNamara & Carpenter defeated Lauriault & Le Gac this weekend. Since no one is signed up for Golden Spin, that means M&C wrap up their preseason and regular GP and Challenger season with head-to-head wins over the teams that finished 4th at SC, 2nd & 3rd at Rostelecom, and 3rd & 4th at NHK, and of course everyone who finished below them at SA and in Helsinki (head to head wins over L&LG, Hurtado & Khaliavin, Carreira & Ponomarenko, the Parsons, Fear & Gibson, Popova & Mosgov, Kaliszek & Spodyriev, Nazarova & Nikitin). And a split result with the team that finished 2nd at NHK (Zagorski & Guerreiro).

Head to heads I would still like to see:
-Vs. Hawayek & Baker. I was hoping for an international one before Nationals, which we won't be getting. But we will get this head-to-head.
-Vs. Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson. (McNamara & Carpenter actually defeated them last season at Autumn Classic, but that was very early. I'd like to see how F-B&S stack up with all these young teams this season).
-Vs. Smart & Diaz. S&D finished behind Lauriault & Le Gac at SC, but those teams have split results this season so it would be worth seeing the head-to-head. We will see S&D against Hawayek & Baker and the Parsons this weekend.

All the U.S. teams other than M&C have at least one more GP or Challenger left.

RoseRed

I'd like to see another head to head between the Parsons and M/C as well. That was in what, July? And the Parsons were really struggling with their levels and execution, but have since performed much better and gotten comparable scores to M/C (huge difference from the big gap at LPI). Not that the win is meaningless, but I'd put more stock in it if they beaten them head to head when both teams were skating well.

Dobre

We will get that rematch also. First we're going to get a rematch and a head-to-head with Hawayek & Baker, the Parsons, Smart & Diaz, and Lauriault & Le Gac.

Last edited:

RoseRed

When was the last time no US Ice Dance team was on the podium at a Grand Prix event?
NHK Trophy 2016. The podium there was Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron, Capellini/Lanotte. Hawayek/Baker were 4th.

It also happened at:
- Rostelecom 2015 (W/P, C/L, S/K)
- Trophée Eric Bombard 2013 (V/M, I/K, P/B)

American teams only medaled at 2/6 events in 2012, so I stopped looking.

Sylvia

TBD
Tallinn Trophy (ISU Challenger Series comp. #9) always has a strange schedule - Rhythm Dance was held earlier today and the only U.S. team there is in 2nd with a ISU SB score (FD is tomorrow):

2 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA 69.58 37.62 31.96 7.95 7.75 8.05 8.10 8.10 0.00 #4 [RD Video]

Camerlengo coached them at Rostelecom Cup and then C/P stayed to train in Russia with Shpilband who is with them in Estonia.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS tweeted earlier today:
.@ccarreira03 and @AnthonyPono9 win 🥇 at Tallinn Trophy! 👏 They earn new season's best scores of 110.64 for their free dance and 180.22 total.
1 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA 110.64 61.44 49.20 8.25 8.00 8.35 8.15 8.25 0.00 #9

Congrats on their first senior international win!

Re-posting from their fan thread (link to their RD video is posted above):
:cheer2: Great job!

Here's their FD video. They look strong and relaxed. Great way to build up to nationals!
ETA that USFS posted this 4-minute video profiling Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker earlier today (Nov. 27): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...tlin-hawayek-jean-luc-baker-train-to-win.aspx

Last edited:

Dobre

The Parsons and Carreira & Ponomarenko have now wrapped up their regular seasons as well.

The Parsons now have head-to-head wins over the teams that finished 4th at SC, 5th at SA, 2nd & 3rd at Rostelecom, 4th in Finland, and of course, everyone who finished below their 3rd place finish at NHK and 5th place finish in France. They also split dances with the team that finished 2nd at NHK, and have split final results with Wang & Liu this season.

Head-to-heads I would still like to see:

-Vs. Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen

Carreira & Ponomarenko now have head-to-head wins over the teams that finished 5th at SA, 7th at SC, 4th at NHK, 8th at IDF, and of course over everyone who finished below their 5th place finish in Helsinki and 3rd place finish in Rostelecom. They also split dances with the team that finished 4th in Helsinki & 2nd at Rostelecom.

Head-to-heads I would still like to see:

-Vs. Shpilevaya & Smirnov
-Vs. Lauriault & Le Gac
-Vs. Smart & Diaz
-Vs. Soucisse & Firus
-Vs. Wang & Liu
-Vs. Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen
-Vs. Zagorski & Guerreiro

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ The results website for Golden Spin isn't always working/updating (Junior results are all posted in the Golden Spin Junior international comp. thread in Kiss & Cry).

Junior Gold - CAROLINE GREEN / GORDON GREEN USA 153.88 1 1 (62.49 RD, 91.39 FD)

RD music is "Essa" by Otros Aires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ROMYAudww
FD music is from The Devil's Violinist (movie based on the life of Niccolo Paganini), including his famous Caprice No. 24 played by violinist David Garrett (ETA video link): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSWuXlxatXg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information