U.S. Ice Dance 2017/18 season news & updates

Dobre

Per GS, here is the livestreaming link for the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships:

http://www.snapshotsportsphotography.com/live/#

Like last season, there is a fee. I haven't looked it up for this year yet; but if I remember correctly, you can create an account & then it will tell you the cost for each day vs. the whole event. (Last year, the feed was very clear for most of the novices/junior athletes, off & on for the senior SDs, and very poor for the senior FD. Totally worth it to me because I love watching the juniors, but there's my FYI. It showed both the international & domestic events).

azcalder

Does the live streaming include both the LPIDI and the LPIDC's? The above post only mentions the Championships.

Dobre

Does the live streaming include both the LPIDI and the LPIDC's? The above post only mentions the Championships.

I assume yes. The streaming essentially treated them as all one competition last year. They were held back to back, one age group at a time, in the same rink.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I just mean two Senior, Junior and Novice events do not make sense. I think it should be one competition international or not and all should be qualified to enter. Requirement for qualifying score this early in the season does not make sense to me.
The ISU has specific requirements for qualifying international competitions. They are not the same as those for a domestic US competition. Thus, two events. Clubs do this all the time domestically; when our club hosted regionals we had a qualifying competition and a nonqualifying competition. Gives a lot more opportunity to, say test-level skaters or skaters who want to try skating up a level (OK in nonqual, not permitted in qual) or try something new even if they know they aren't truly competitive in the sense that they'd qualify for nationals. Also, if someone doesn't have the minimum scores to enter an international qualifying competitions, they have the opportunity to enter non-qual, to get feedback from the judges on their programs, AND to watch international competitors, all in the same place.

Dobre

All that said, the U.S. junior domestic event tends to have equally strong top teams. The top Wheaton and top Shpilband teams are often split in separate competitions. Last year, for example, the domestic event had McNamara & Carpenter, Carreira & Ponomarenko, the Greens, and Lajoie & Lagha. While the Parsons, Lewis & Bye, and Gropman & Somerville did the international. This year, Carreira & Ponomarenko and the Greens are doing the international. And Lewis & Bye and Gropman & Somerville are doing the domestic.

Jun Y

The streaming service for Lake Placid is atrocious so far. It's either not working sometimes or, when it works, it's very blurry and impossible to make out details. I guess I should just be grateful that there is streaming for me to pay to watch.

Sylvia

TBD
Live scores and reports from watching the stream (thanks so much, @Dobre!) are being posted in the competition thread in the Kiss and Cry section.

Link to Ice-Dance.com's LPIDC photo gallery (Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice so far): http://photos.ice-dance.com/2017-18/17LPIDC/
International photo gallery (Adv. Novice so far): http://photos.ice-dance.com/2017-18/17LPIDI/

ETA:

Carreira/Ponomarenko's Junior SD music is to "Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps" (covered by The Pussycat Dolls?) & "Conga" by Gloria Estefan.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
The streaming service for Lake Placid is atrocious so far. It's either not working sometimes or, when it works, it's very blurry and impossible to make out details. I guess I should just be grateful that there is streaming for me to pay to watch.
Did you contact the provider about this?

Jun Y

Did you contact the provider about this?

The streaming provider is not taking phone calls. I sent a contact form but they do not respond right away. I guess maybe I'll hear from them tomorrow.

The streaming is working today once it got started. However, it's been very blurry/low resolution. On Wednesday night, the streaming was slow and stuttering, possibly because the server could not handle the amount of data. So I think they just cut down the resolution to fix the problem. When it wasn't working, the streamed video was supposed to be HD. After it was fixed, there was no longer the HD option. Everyone gets the low-res version. They probably figured we would rather watch poor quality video than no video at all.

It's difficult to get a clear impression on the performances without clear videos. Nevertheless, I think most of the teams are skating better than Chesapeake Open. Happy to see Gropman and Somerville skating pretty clean. Amoia and Becker had a series of problems in the second half of the SD, so I was a bit surprised that they scored the same as CO (45+). I think judges really like this team. They need more time to skate together. Lewis and Bye were also looking better than they did at CO. Only minor bobbles in the SBS no touch steps; the rest was well executed.

Joe Johnson has improved his skating skills. Good.

I don't like that skaters are allowed to be not matching in movements during the SBS non-touching step sequence. The unison is deteriorating in general. Do we want to be even more lax about it?

Last edited:

shan

I don't like that skaters are allowed to be not matching in movements during the SBS non-touching step sequence. The unison is deteriorating in general. Do we want to be even more lax about it?

Is that why most of the teams seem to have a break in the middle of the sbs steps to do some sort of choreography and then they pick it up with the rest of the sbs steps? I'm not a fan, I have to say. I like the strong sbs matching steps down the ice or around the circle.

VGThuy

I think that could be it. I also wonder since in the SD, teams are permitted to do two five second stops or one ten second stop, they just want to take advantage of it. They are not allowed to stop in the actual partial step sequence but are allowed to do so in the NT SBS step so long as it doesn't exceed the time requirements. I think the teams who choose to skid before and after the partial step rather than use the permitted stops to indicate the beginning and the end of the partial step just want to use it. With how cluttered SDs are with all the required elements and all they have to do to hit the high levels and high GOEs, having that stop in the non-touch SBS is one of the few times they're permitted to actually dance and perform to the music without further encumbrances.

semogal

I know it is just one pre-season event but I think some of the questions about how the Wheaton teams would do at the senior level have been answered. It is going to be a crazy battle for the pewter at US Nationals.

Jun Y

One thing I look forward to on JGP this year is the SD. Cha Cha Congelado is hard. It will be fun to see how many teams fudge the steps in the pattern (particularly the first part near the long end of the rink) and who can hit all the beats with precision. That's a major differentiater.

figureskatingforlife

I have to say I really liked for the first time McNamara/Carpenter! I thought they were clearly the best last night.
Pogrebinsky/Benoit... I've never really liked them and don't understand that hype about them. I feel like they're slow and trying to hard but it's not working. Whatever they do it doesn't look like a dance to me.
Parsons : despite the Fall very disappointing. I know it's hard as siblings to do a latin themed SD but I just didn't like their whole packaging.
Manta/Johnson: one of my faves but at the end it's loosing me but they were my no2 american team!

I have to say I was disappointed by Carreira/Ponomarenko. They have so much promise but why is their coach giving them such bs music? They could do so much better. I was upset. Hopefully the FD is a improvement because last season I loved the SD and the FD.

Lacey

I was not at all disappointed by Carreira/Ponomarenko, in fact I liked them the best of all the Junior AND Senior SDs. Their whole bodies--their hands, arms down to the fingers, heads, posture, legs, knees, feet, even the arches in their backs--all of it was exquisite and expressive. They seem to be very tall and, therefore, they skate very big, which the judges love--they had really good ice coverage. Very strong dance, very musical--they have great ears too! I was surprised because I remembered that I loved him from last year and from his heritage, but she was just as good this year. Absolutely headed for great things this year and beyond!

Copyrighted links removed by admin.

Can we use Car/Pon for short, my only trouble with them is typing out their whole names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lara111

I am wondering what USFSA will do with ISP for Junior. Nobody they selected seems to be cracking their 112 score at LPD.

Sylvia

TBD
@Stephanie pointed out in the LPIDC thread in Kiss & Cry that Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik were added recently to the ISP (making a total of 10 junior teams now).

Last edited:

dinakt

I have to say I was disappointed by Carreira/Ponomarenko. They have so much promise but why is their coach giving them such bs music? They could do so much better. I was upset. Hopefully the FD is a improvement because last season I loved the SD and the FD.
"Quizas" is bs music? I am all faint with indignation:drama:

Jun Y

"Quizas" is bs music? I am all faint with indignation:drama:

I have to say though, the version of Quizas chosen for the SD is, uh, well, I've heard better. Even the version used in the British series Coupling would be better.

dinakt

I have to say though, the version of Quizas chosen for the SD is, uh, well, I've heard better. Even the version used in the British series Coupling would be better.
Ya, I know:) (the first time I heard the squeal in the middle I did a double take). Still love the song though. Note to self- need to see "Coupling".
To stay on topic, I enjoyed McNamara/Carpenter SD. Didn't look all over the place, just well done and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information