Top Ten Current Warhorses

Vagabond

This post has inspired me.

^^^^ Come What May? I feel like its top 10 of warhorses currently.

Or maybe its Tango De Roxanne.... or the whole bloody soundtrack

What are the Top Ten of current warhorses? I think the evergreen Carmen Suites Nos. 1 and 2 probably each deserve a spot, but I wonder about the eight others. Please post your Top Ten.

:watch:

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
1. Carmen
2. Tango de Roxanne/all of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack (including Come What May)
3. Nessun Dorma/Turandot
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Romeo and Juliet
6. Les Miserables
7. Black Swan/Swan Lake
8. West Side Story
9. Chicago
10. Hans Zimmer tracks

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
This post has inspired me.

What are the Top Ten of current warhorses? I think the evergreen Carmen Suites Nos. 1 and 2 probably each deserve a spot, but I wonder about the eight others. Please post your Top Ten.

:watch:

LOLLLLLLL, Oh Dear....

Well..since I b*tch a lot let me take a crack at this.

1. POTO
2. Romeo & Juliet
3. Scherezade
4. Carmen
5. All things Moulin Rouge
6. All things Swan
7. (Sadly) East Of Eden
8. Vivaldi all 4 seasons (every bloody one of them)
9. Tosca
10. Rhapsody in Blue (please retire it)
11. West Side Story
12. Samson & Delilah
13. Claire de Lune
14. Spartacus

and wait for it... wait for it... wait for it... 15. Firebird

16. Moon River (can't forget that)
17. Moonlight Sonata (or that)

(oh Dear, Im gonna have to file an addendum)

Im sure Ill come up with 100 more while in bed

@misskarne I just saw your list after I did mine. We should have joined forces. LOL I keep adding more.

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Muse 'Exogenisis' & Co.
How many Exogeneses have we had? I am aware of Abbott and Wagner. As a disclaimer I should say I mostly watch singles and dance, but only if their names are Papadakis/Cizeron.

OMG

CARMINA BURANA!!!

J

Jeschke

How many Exogeneses have we had? I am aware of Abbott and Wagner. As a disclaimer I should say I mostly watch singles and dance, but only if their names are Papadakis/Cizeron.
Just giving a quick thought, I can recall Muse skating programs by Duhamel/Radford, Kovtun, Vartmann/Blommaert.
Zahorski/Guerrerio will skate in the upcoming season.

MsZem

I see the sea
Just giving a quick thought, I can recall Muse skating programs by Duhamel/Radford, Kovtun, Vartmann/Blommaert.
The Kerrs did it before it was cool.

Top warhorses: Carmen, POTO, Swans, all R&Js, Schindler's List, Rach 2, Moulin Rouge, assorted Queen medleys, La Strada (and they never understand what the movie is about).

@TAHbKA adds: Feeling Good.

chapis

Christina and Anthony skated Exogenesis last season too.

nimi

@TAHbKA adds: Feeling Good.
Oh yes. Feeling Good and also I Put A Spell On You.

Wasn't there a gala (maybe at Russian nats?) a year or two ago where there were 3 skaters/teams back to back skating to Spell? Or was that a nightmare I had?

At least with Schindler's List, you only see it in comps (I think?). With Feeling and Spell, you're subjected to them both in comps and in galas.

liv

Have we had a lot of Moon River and Moonlight Sonatas?

Adding:
1. Danse macabre
2. Love story
3. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
4. Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini
5. Aranjuez

Last edited:

VGThuy

I truly don't understand; is someone other than Jason skating to Hamilton? Or is this just songs we don't like?:p

For traditional warhorses, hearing three "Fevers" in one comp this summer was mind numbing. And I'm not sure it's a song I'd give to a junior:confused:

Yeah, who else is skating to Hamilton?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
I truly don't understand; is someone other than Jason skating to Hamilton? Or is this just songs we don't like?:p

For traditional warhorses definition, hearing three "Fevers" in one comp this summer was mind numbing. And I'm not sure it's a song I'd give to a junior:confused:

dang how could I forget Fever?

If I had to narrow my list to 5 CURRENT warhorses I think I would say.
1. POTO
2. Firebird
3. Carmen
4. Moulin Rouge & Tangos
5. Swans

Vagabond

I truly don't understand; is someone other than Jason skating to Hamilton?

I recall reading that at least a couple of skaters, not necessarily top-level U.S. men, have Hamilton programs this season. No time to do the research on it right now, sorry.

Dobre

For people who named Romeo & Juliet -- which one?

IMO Prokofiev's R & J doesn't qualify as a top10 warhorse.

It does. It's the most common version that I have seen over the past 20 years. Prokofiev's and Tchaikovsy's versions both came in top 5 in most used warhorses back in 1998 when someone on FSW counted up the most used pieces of music. If it was top 5 then, it is still a warhorse, though the film versions have come on great guns since then.

I don't think I heard an Astor Piazzolla program pre-2000; now they're here, there and everywhere.

This is why Libertango is a warhorse: Grishuk & Platov's 1997 Original Dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxA76J09T8

Punsalun & Swallow did Adios Nonino in 1998. (And I believe Igor has been regularly recycling it since then, though it's hard to keep his recycled programs straight).

Last edited:

nimi

It does. It's the most common version that I have seen over the past 20 years. Prokofiev's and Tchaikovsy's versions both came in top 5 in most used warhorses back in 1998 when someone on FSW counted up the most used pieces of music. If it was top 5 then, it is still a warhorse, though the film versions have come on great guns since then.
Ah, this explains it. I used to watch some skating as a kiddo in late 80s / early-to-mid 90s, stopped, and got back to it in the late aughts, so I must've missed out on Prokofiev's R&J's stint as a leading warhorse.

Last edited:

nimi

^^ Yep.

I'm also a fan of Kronos Quartet and loved their Requiem For A Dream theme back when the movie/soundtrack came out, but nowadays it just sounds like overused skating music to me and I'm like :rolleyes: anytime I hear it anywhere.

I think Requiem isn't as ubiquitous nowadays than it a couple of years ago, though. (Am I right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information