The Skating Lesson 2019/2020

aftershocks

Banned Member
This was an excellent interview. I never disliked Adam but at the same time I was never a big fan.
I did respect how after 2014 he found a way to take his skating to the next level.

My mind is changed. Really like the guy.

What I loved about his interview was how transparent he was about so many things without trying to be provocative. He knew where his skating stood among the field and his limitation.

^^ Adam was previously interviewed by Jenny and DL on TSL a number of years ago when he still had blond curls. He was delightful then as well. Adam has always been a very nice, witty guy with a unique sense of humor and passion for the sport.

A new TSL interview with Kiira Korpi, about athlete safety and proper athlete development...

Kiira is studying psychology at The New School; an interesting perspective from her about coaching methods and the danger of quads on young athlete bodies, etc.

ITA with Kiira that more research is needed regarding proper training methods for figure skating athletes... The part about Phil Jackson's zen-like 'give up control' approach to coaching Dennis Rodman is fascinating.

Kiira is so beautiful and well spoken with admirable ambitions. Good luck to her!

ETA:
Kiira: "We don't hear about the stories of the athletes who don't make it in a [tough] system. It's as if their stories are not worthy... Of course, it's not easy or pleasant to talk about these things in our beloved sport..."

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

TSL lied (or was misinformed) already about her situation. Eteri had nothing to do with this reporter getting fired from RIA.... NOTHING... because other people were involved and other issues considered... :D

And the issue is not "Because she was negative about Zagitova". The whole thing is much more complicated, personal, has history going back 2012 and journalist's friendship with Byianova, and Sotnikova vs. Lipnitskaya situation.

This journalist started the "war" first against Medvedeva, making terrible remarks and assumptions about her skating, to a point where Tarasova was yelling into the open microphone on National TV during an event coverage: "Elena, how dare you write such things about our champion! You're an adult, a married woman with family and children! stop using personal in a role of a journalist! Have some shame!".

This journalist also made vile remarks against Oleg Protopopov on the night his wife Ludmila died. That created an uproar inside the journalist community. This journalist holds grudges against athletes who don't "worship her" and don't give her interviews at her will. She covered many other sports besides figure skating, and has enemies there too.

She was already "let go" two years ago from Sports-Express, and gave a twisted story "why" and blamed the publication. Now two years later she "departed" from RIA, and that's a long story.

This woman will lie and twists facts beyond reason, only to suit her personal agenda and vendettas that started years ago. Giving TSL an interview is a desperate move on her part... :D She claimed her position to be much higher on an international arena of journalism.. :lol:

bardtoob

This journalist holds grudges against athletes who don't "worship her" and don't give her interviews at her will. She covered many other sports besides figure skating, and has enemies there too.

I thought people only felt this way about Amerikan Olympic Sports journalists :DLauz1:

Seerek

saying things like "Canadians are like Vultures" isn't going to win you any brownie points...but on brand, I guess.

olympic

Listening to This and That post-GPF, I kind of groaned that Dave / Jonathan focused / framed the conversation as Yuzuru's loss rather than Nathan's win, especially after Nathan set a WR. I also think it was a bit of a reach when Dave talked about how Yuzu should repeat the 4Z

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Listening to This and That post-GPF, I kind of groaned that Dave / Jonathan focused / framed the conversation as Yuzuru's loss rather than Nathan's win, especially after Nathan set a WR. I also think it was a bit of a reach when Dave talked about how Yuzu should repeat the 4Z

Another reason why Lease is deluded and ridiculous.

I guess interviewing coaches like Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson means Lease can offer himself a personal consultant to the stars.

Does this mean because I read Michelle Obama's autobiography, I can aspire to be the next first lady?

Tavi

Another reason why Lease is deluded and ridiculous.

I guess interviewing coaches like Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson means Lease can offer himself a personal consultant to the stars.

Does this mean because I read Michelle Obama's autobiography, I can aspire to be the next first lady?

Are you aware that your repeated bashing of Dave / TSL comes off as targeted bullying, and as such is every bit as bad - or worse - than any behavior or comments you could ever attribute to them? Regardless of the fact that this forum is anonymous, you might want to consider whether you really want to be - or be perceived as - that kind of person.

RoyThree

Are you aware that your repeated bashing of Dave / TSL comes off as targeted bullying, and as such is every bit as bad - or worse - than any behavior or comments you could ever attribute to them? Regardless of the fact that this forum is anonymous, you might want to consider whether you really want to be - or be perceived as - that kind of person.
I'm puzzled by this as well. The thread is titled TSL. It's fine if you don't like the show and it's players, but I don't understand the need to constantly bash it. It seems like an easy fix ... just don't come on the thread. Reminds me of all of the people who like to go on the twitter threads of presidential candidate supporters just to tear them down. Doesn't seem very civil to me.

muffinplus

Yeah, I don't know that Fran isn't worse than TSL after this:

Honestly, her bias is just :blah: and throwing shade on a 14-year-old is low

Last edited:

starrynight

Samsonov is just a sheltered little kid who exists in a bubble where he doesn't know any other way than the one he experiences. He's also probably too young to understand that as a little junior, talking about Olympic medalists like that probably isn't respectful - but I expect he's probably just repeating what the adults around him are saying. There's no peer old enough who he trains with who could have any mature or balanced perspective on anything.

I agree that it's not fair to single out a kid like that. I also don't think journalists should be giving an open mic to someone so young to talk about things like this.

muffinplus

Samsonov is just a sheltered little kid who exists in a bubble where he doesn't know any other way than the one he experiences. He's also probably too young to understand that as a little junior, talking about Olympic medalists like that probably isn't respectful - but I expect he's probably just repeating what the adults around him are saying. There's no peer old enough who he trains with who could have any mature or balanced perspective on anything.

I agree that it's not fair to single out a kid like that. I also don't think journalists should be giving an open mic to someone so young to talk about things like this.

I don't even think he said anything disrespectful... it was just perhaps not media savvy to say it given how easily it could be distorted/shaded into something negative a la Fran ... maybe if he was older, he would know better. However, I'm sure whatever he said is not untrue - I'm sure Shoma had different training in Japan, it's just factual

starrynight

it was just perhaps not media savvy to say it given how easily it could be distorted/shaded into something negative

Of course, on the other hand, there's lots of people who would love those comments because they reinforce the idea of Russian and Sambo 70 superiority. So there's that. (Even if Shoma actually has better longevity and long term results than any skater from that centre).

CaliSteve

Danny G interview regarding Shoma.

CaliSteve

A lot of people mentioned that Samsonov mentioned that Shoma was his favorite skater in that very interview.

olympic

I just listened to their recap of 4CCs GROAN

So, their focus was about how Yuzu could pull it together and beat Nathan, because Nathan sometimes has poor posture and bad outfits, and Wakaba falling on a 3A at 4CCs meant that she would eventually get it, meaning the US ladies were likely not going to achieve enough for 3 spots at 2021 Worlds.

Tavi

I just listened to their recap of 4CCs GROAN

So, their focus was about how Yuzu could pull it together and beat Nathan, because Nathan sometimes has poor posture and bad outfits, and Wakaba falling on a 3A at 4CCs meant that she would eventually get it, meaning the US ladies were likely not going to achieve enough for 3 spots at 2021 Worlds.

Having listened to it myself, I think your memory is kind of selective. The entire recap was 1-1/2 + hours, and they discussed all four disciplines, spending a lot of time on men’s and pairs and about 15 minutes each on ladies and ice dance. Yes they did discuss Yuzu for about 10 minutes, and part of that time related to Nathan, but they also spent quite a bit of time just talking about his programs, and they only discussed Wakaba for a couple of minutes. They spent almost half an hour discussing the rest of the 4CCs men’s field, spending a fair amount of time on Jason but touching on quite a few of the other men as well.

olympic

Having listened to it myself, I think your memory is kind of selective. The entire recap was 1-1/2 + hours, and they discussed all four disciplines, spending a lot of time on men’s and pairs and about 15 minutes each on ladies and ice dance. Yes they did discuss Yuzu for about 10 minutes, and part of that time related to Nathan, but they also spent quite a bit of time just talking about his programs, and they only discussed Wakaba for a couple of minutes. They spent almost half an hour discussing the rest of the 4CCs men’s field, spending a fair amount of time on Jason but touching on quite a few of the other men as well.

Focus was the wrong word. The 2 bits they discussed were IMO off-base

Tavi

Focus was the wrong word. The 2 bits they discussed were IMO off-base

Huh - I’m curious as to why? I often don’t agree with them but I don’t remember thinking they were super off base about either Yuzu or Wakaba. Then again, I was half asleep when I listened.😉 What seemed off-base to you?

olympic

Huh - I’m curious as to why? I often don’t agree with them but I don’t remember thinking they were super off base about either Yuzu or Wakaba. Then again, I was half asleep when I listened.😉 What seemed off-base to you?

Yuzu has obviously become a legend but Nathan is really outscoring him in all their matchups lately. I just found their prognostication that Yuzu just needed to get it together and he would beat Nathan. That was my understanding and it left me scratching my head: As if they haven’t paid attention to the trend over the past year.

I thought they were off-base, flat out negative about the US ladies regaining 3 spots: I can understand 6-7 because Young You is strong (but Bradie only finished behind her by less than a point in her own backyard). But they kept saying 7-8. They segued into Wakaba and the 3A that is new and she is falling on. I think the assumption was Wakaba could easily beat both Bradie and Mariah, which may happen but I don’t find likely

Tavi

Yuzu has obviously become a legend but Nathan is really outscoring him in all their matchups lately. I just found their prognostication that Yuzu just needed to get it together and he would beat Nathan. That was my understanding and it left me scratching my head: As if they haven’t paid attention to the trend over the past year.

I thought they were off-base, flat out negative about the US ladies regaining 3 spots: I can understand 6-7 because Young You is strong (but Bradie only finished behind her by less than a point in her own backyard). But they kept saying 7-8. They segued into Wakaba and the 3A that is new and she is falling on. I think the assumption was Wakaba could easily beat both Bradie and Mariah, which may happen but I don’t find likely

Thanks for your thoughts. I definitely agree that Nathan has outscored Yuzu lately. I know TSL like both Nathan and Yuzu. I think their theory is that Nathan is overscored on PCS and GOE and that if both guys skate clean programs the judges will score Yuzu higher. on PCS and GOE. I like Nathan quite a lot but I agree with them that his PCS and GOE are sometimes high for what he puts out there. However, I’m not sure that will change. They also said Jason is competitive for a Worlds bronze, and much as I adore Jason, I’m not sure I agree with that either. There are just too many guys with higher tech content who can out score him. Re US ladies I’d have to listen again, but I don’t recall super negativity to them. Dave seems to have trouble remembering what placements are necessary for retaining two spots, gaining three spots, etc, so I’m not surprised if he was confused. I guess I think we have a decent chance to get 3 spots but no guarantees.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts. As I said, I don’t always agree with TSL, but I do appreciate the time and effort they put into their recaps, and often find Dave really funny.

exNyer

I have always been surprised that an opera singer like Jonathan can talk for these marathon reviews without concern that it might strain his vocal cords. I have seen documentaries where these singers speak at a miniumum, wear scarfs to keep their throats warm, and follow other preventative measures to protect their instrument

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information