The Skating Lesson 2019/2020

MK's Winter

New Season. New Thread.

Here’s a few:

Romain Interview: https:https://youtu.be/KCPgnvhf51o

This and That 19 Skate Detroit, The Ice, Pan Ams: https://youtu.be/7l5SfsYWzkw

This and That- Ashley Wagner, Nathan Chen, Alina Zagitova, Rika Kihira, and Pan Ams 2:

Tavi

Fran runs a great event recap site worth checking out.
Here is her review of the first JGP and the Aurora Games.

She does, but perhaps she deserves her own thread.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Fran runs a great event recap site worth checking out.
Here is her review of the first JGP and the Aurora Games.

One assumes that this is not Fran Buhman, the Todd Eldredge uberfan of "a few" years ago.

Below is not her site, but she is credited with an interview in 1998 on the list at the link.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
One assumes that this is not Fran Buhman, the Todd Eldredge uberfan of "a few" years ago.

A quick facebook search shows she is most definitely NOT Fran Buhman of RSSIF fame. Sorry, Todd fans. :lol:

She does, but perhaps she deserves her own thread.

Fran's recaps do deserve their own thread. She does a great job. And her thoughts are actually organized, and not restricted to a very narrow ideal view of what ladies skating should be. Bonus: no superfluous sidekick or gymnastics talk or talking in circles. Imagine that!

Now, after that bitchy comment, I freely admit I sometimes put TSL on in the background at work. It can definitely be entertaining, but I was shocked at how little figure skating was covered in this latest 2 hour(!!) recap. :eek:

Last edited:

Tavi

A quick facebook search shows this is most definitely NOT Fran Buhman of RSSIF fame. Sorry, Todd fans. :lol:

Fran's recaps do deserve their own thread. She does a great job. And her thoughts are actually organized, and not restricted to a very narrow ideal view of what ladies skating should be. Bonus: no superfluous sidekick or gymnastics talk or talking in circles. Imagine that!

Now after the bitchy comment, I freely admit I sometimes put TSL on in the background while I'm working. It can definitely be entertaining, but I was shocked at how little figure skating was covered in the latest 2 hour(!!) recap. :eek:

Yeah I really like Fran. Generally very smart comments and her perfect English is impressive.

I do usually enjoy TSL but this summer they’ve been digressing a bit much for my taste.

Seerek

You be the Judge: Was the order of the 1989 U.S. Nationals Women's Original Programs correct?

Keep in mind that Kristi Yamaguchi was in 8th place after compulsory figures (20%) and only 2 women were eligible to compete at the World Championships in Paris.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If she hadn't fallen on the double salchow in the short program (or ultimately withdrawn due to injury), Jeri Campbell could really have been a major spoiler in Baltimore.

Her deduction for required elements seem to imply that had Campbell skated clean, she would likely have placed ahead of Harding or even Yamaguchi in the short.

At her best, Jeri Campbell could skate a routine with five or six triples and had the salchow, toe loop, loop, and lutz in her repertoire. Her spins were probably the best in the field, too.

From memory, Caryn Kadavy was featured in the souvenir program, but withdrew prior to the event.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I don't know what is worse, that TSL did not mention Trenary in the title or that Trenary's music choices gradually got worse throughout the program:

Charlie Brown Christmas -> The Olympics does High Energy -> John Tesh Can Do Something Worse than Commentary

ETA:

OMG! I think Jeri Campbell should have placed above Trenary. Jeri had better outflowing edges from jumps, better speed, better spins, better music ... Trenary only beat her on spirals, costume, polished presentation, and general edges.

Holy Smokes! Tonia K. also skated very well!

Last edited:

Debbie S

I don't know what to call his inability to stand on skates.
I am no fan of Dave and disagree with pretty much everything he says (and wish he would stop the half-baked commentary and just do the interviews) but as an adult skater, I find your comment offensive. His skating is fairly standard for an Adult Bronze skater. Much more than "an inability to stand on skates."

bardtoob

I am no fan of Dave and disagree with pretty much everything he says (and wish he would stop the half-baked commentary and just do the interviews) but as an adult skater, I find your comment offensive. His skating is fairly standard for an Adult Bronze skater. Much more than "an inability to stand on skates."

If I can mercilessly insult Laeticia Huber without every international senior being offended, then I can do the same with David Lease.

BTW I am certain you are much better than David Lease by virtue of not having the same overly dramatic expressions, in general
:drama:

bardtoob

if we all have to be able to out skate a skater in order to critique them, 99.9% of us would have to log out forever

There is no connection between his diarrhea of the mouth on Liu and my commentary on his skating.

I am just exercising my ability to be as crappy to him as he is to every other skater.

Who cares anyway. He is a sideshow clown car, far beneath anything he said about Star Andrews. David Lease has no feelings anybody should care about since he cares about nobody else's feelings.

Debbie S

If I can mercilessly insult Laeticia Huber without every international senior being offended, then I can do the same with David Lease.
I don't recall seeing multiple (or any) falls in Dave's program that you linked above ("inability to stand"). And given how far away the video was shot, I can't see any facial expressions, dramatic or otherwise. Your comment was a rude dig at less-than-elite-skater skills. If adult skating offends your sensibilities, you don't have to watch.

bardtoob

I don't recall seeing multiple (or any) falls in Dave's program that you linked above ("inability to stand"). And given how far away the video was shot, I can't see any facial expressions, dramatic or otherwise. Your comment was a rude dig at less-than-elite-skater skills. If adult skating offends your sensibilities, you don't have to watch.

Go ahead. Fully identify your feelings with him.

bardtoob

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Regarding Lease's abilities as a skater, I really took issue with the way he unkindly mocked the young Indian skater who competed at Lake Placid. I thought she was delightful, as did Ted Barton, when he interviewed her, too.

Yes, David, your Western privilege may have given you more access to ice time. It certainly hasn't made you a better person, though.

Thank goodness there are other educational resources out there apart from TSL, that leave the superior-minded snobbery at home.

Last edited:

muffinplus

Regarding Lease's abilities as a skater, I really took issue with the way he unkindly mocked the young Indian skater who competed at Lake Placid. I thought she was delightful, as did Ted Barton, when he interviewed her, too.

Yes, David, your Western privilege may have given you more access to ice time. It certainly hasn't made you a better person, though.

Thank goodness there are other educational resources out there apart from TSL, that leave the superior snobbery at home.

I don't think he mocked the girl, he said she needed a better partner, it's the boy he thought was bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information